THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

calfoxwc, on 28 Nov 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

The Browns will draft Bortles, Carr, or Garoppolo.

Take it to the bank.

Unless they draft Manziel or Hundley or McCarron or... Tour

Well, I forgot McCarron.

But the Browns won't draft Manziel. Not a chance. Face it, they

can't take the chance.

And Hundley... he amazing, but I don't see him as a sure fire

NFL read defenses great guy.

But if Chud and co. draft him, they will do it knowing he can.

It's all so complicated this year.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with Carr's performance today thus far, I still don't want him.

For the reasons I mentioned before, but also because I just get a weird vibe from him. I try to picture "Derek Carr, Super Bowl MVP, HOF career, Franchise QB" and I can't. All I keep seeing is another duo of brothers that became mediocre NFL QB's like the McCown's, the Huard's, the Detmer's and the Hasselbeck's.

For the reasons I mentioned before, but also because I just get a weird vibe from him. I try to picture "Derek Carr, Super Bowl MVP, HOF career, Franchise QB" and I can't. All I keep seeing is another duo of brothers that became mediocre NFL QB's like the McCown's, the Huard's, the Detmer's and the Hasselbeck's.

he's lighting it up for sure today, but really, who have they played?

Anybody no the last time a Browns QB played a whole season? We gotta be the only team in the league that has 3-4 different starting QB's every single year?

As far as drafting QB's.......Aaron Murray, and he'll probably fall in the draft due to his injury. I love his fire. If Aaron Rogers and Phillip Rivers had a baby, it would grow up to be Aaron Murray. By far, the most NFL ready QB...he would improve the Browns today.

Anybody no the last time a Browns QB played a whole season? We gotta be the only team in the league that has 3-4 different starting QB's every single year?

2007 Anderson relieved Frye in the first game and started the next 15. One year Couch started them all ... 2001 I believe.

Alex Tanney could be the next name on here:

ScreenShot2013-10-23at1.12.30PM_original

a lot of what i saw of fales and carr yesterday i liked (great passing skills) BUT like i said who have they played. both defenses looked like JV squads in HS.

i think a lot of McCarron's heisman hopes and nfl scouting reports are going to be upgraded or downgraded in the 'iron bowl' today.

mariota looked good despite a couple of bonehead ints, one into triple coverage.

i enjoyed watching the kid (rudduck) from iowa yesterday and seeing bo pelini being led to the chopping block afterwards. dudes a dick.

Another concern is that I haven't seen him throw an out. A QB who can throw a perfect out route can throw just about any other pass needed. It's a timing route that, by the time the QB reaches his drop back, will have to travel about 25 yards and be on point. Of the "short" passes, it's actually a decently long pass.

Agree on the "out"... and it raises one of my favorite NFL pet peeves, the hash marks. There's no real "wide-side" in the NFL now, but there used to be.

We gotta be the only team in the league that has 3-4 different starting QB's every single year?

But odds are that this year we would have stopped at 2, if not for injury. Then 3, if not for...

More changes due to injury than total suckage feels like progress.

mariota looked good despite a couple of bonehead ints, one into triple coverage.

Bonehead and good do not belong in the same analysis. ;)

Agree on the "out"... and it raises one of my favorite NFL pet peeves, the hash marks. There's no real "wide-side" in the NFL now, but there used to be.

But odds are that this year we would have stopped at 2, if not for injury. Then 3, if not for...

More changes due to injury than total suckage feels like progress.

Bonehead and good do not belong in the same analysis. ;)

c'mon man!

Current SI Mock draft has us taking Sammy Watkins from Clemson and then taking Taj Boyd also from Clemson with our 2nd first round pick.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/2014-nfl-mock-draft-teddy-bridgewater-anthony-barr/?eref=sihp

Well then let's hope we can suck bad enough to surge behind the Vikings.....

WSS

I'm not enough of a college football fan or expert to know if this would suck for us or not but anything that has us passing on Manziel is good with me.

I also would be surprised that we would go QB with the late first round pick. How many teams picking after us in the first round would really go with a QB? And by that same logic...anyone picking ahead of us in round two that need a QB would've already picked one in the first round.

Current SI Mock draft has us taking Sammy Watkins from Clemson and then taking Taj Boyd also from Clemson with our 2nd first round pick.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/2014-nfl-mock-draft-teddy-bridgewater-anthony-barr/?eref=sihp

I'm good with Watkins, but I don't want Boyd or any of these other running QBs in the 1st round. I'm for Hoyer as QB & take a guy in round 2 or 3 to learn from him. No one can deny that, even with only 2 games, this Browns' TEAM performed at a higher level with Hoyer in there. THAT isn't taught...Hoyer is a Leader, pure & simple.

Mike

Kind of interesting. I remember reading some gossip-ey thing that the Browns like Boyd quite a bit. Who knows if it's true but it's interesting. I still have a creeping sense he has a rise left in him and he's played very well since the clunker. He'll work out great and meet even greater.

Couldn't help but think of Boyd while watching Wilson shred the Saints. Both guys are short-ish passers who can run, not running quarterbacks. Boyd's a little more everything (bigger, faster, bigger arm) but Wilson is starting to feel like he's got the magic.

That's what they say about Boyd: Great teammate, great leader, great kid. Better wheels and arm, higher ceiling.

I'm good with Watkins, but I don't want Boyd or any of these other running QBs in the 1st round. I'm for Hoyer as QB & take a guy in round 2 or 3 to learn from him. No one can deny that, even with only 2 games, this Browns' TEAM performed at a higher level with Hoyer in there. THAT isn't taught...Hoyer is a Leader, pure & simple.

Mike

That's what they say about Boyd: Great teammate, great leader, great kid. Better wheels and arm, higher ceiling.

Did you watch him against USC? Clowney was right he looked scared, several times pulled the ball down and took off before the play had chance to develop, his accuracy was all over the place...

...A poormans McNabb.No, No, No, No to Boyd!

...I'm all for Watkins with the first pick.

Just an interesting comparison for some Super Bowl winning quarterbacks statistics from college to prospects. I picked the last year of each pro player from their college days which in order are Rodgers, Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger. The College quarterbacks in order are Bridgewater, Hundley, Boyd, Manziel, Carr, Mettenberger, Murray, and McCarron.

Year College Conf Comp/Att/Pct/Yards/YA/YP/TD/INT/Rating

2004 California Pac-10 JR QB 209 316 66.1 2566 8.1 8.5 24 8 154.3

2000 Purdue Big Ten SR QB 286 473 60.5 3393 7.2 7.0 24 12 132.4

1997 Tennessee SEC SR QB 287 477 60.2 3819 8.0 8.5 36 11 147.7

2003 Mississippi SEC SR QB 275 441 62.4 3600 8.2 8.5 29 10 148.1

1999 Michigan Big Ten SR QB 180 295 61.0 2217 7.5 7.7 16 6 138.0

2003 Miami (OH) MAC JR QB 342 495 69.1 4486 9.1 9.6 37 10 165.8

2013 Louisville American JR QB 245 345 71.0 3268 9.5 10.5 25 3 172.8

2013 UCLA Pac-12 SO QB 232 342 67.8 2845 8.3 8.4 22 9 153.7

2013 Clemson ACC SR QB 252 373 67.6 3473 9.3 9.8 29 9 166.6

2013 Texas A&M SEC SO QB 246 356 69.1 3537 9.9 10.1 32 13 174.9

2013 Fresno State MWC SR QB 388 552 70.3 4467 8.1 9.3 45 5 163.4

2013 Louisiana State SEC SR QB 192 296 64.9 3082 10.4 10.7 22 8 171.4

2013 Georgia SEC SR QB 225 347 64.8 3075 8.9 9.2 26 9 158.8

2013Alabama SEC SR QB 207 306 67.6 2676 8.7 9.7 26 5 165.9

An interesting thing to note is that of the Super Bowl winners 4 of 6 stayed until they were seniors. Obviously stats aren't everything, but I thought for a comparison they are intriguing because some of these Super Bowl winners didn't light it up in college as much as you would think. . Boyd, Manziel, and Murray are considered the short QB's of the class while the Super Bowl winners only Drew Brees would be considered "short". Also I understand that the dynamics of the College game have changed considerably with the SEC being THE powerhouse in College Football. But hell, thought we might as well compare the best now from when they were in college to the top prospects coming out this year.

P.S. Sorry about the mess it won't post in the table I made

b23, dude... you're on Gip's turf with that kind of stat attack... :)

It's all so complicated this year.

Just seems like more than usual is riding on the choice...

Maybe Colt's little bro will break the trend???

Yes on Watkins... a big old YES! Pair him and Gordon? Holy Shit!

On Boyd... ummmmm.... no...

Here's one for you Twitter aficionados... #AVOIDtheBOYD

Kind of interesting. I remember reading some gossip-ey thing that the Browns like Boyd quite a bit. Who knows if it's true but it's interesting. I still have a creeping sense he has a rise left in him and he's played very well since the clunker. He'll work out great and meet even greater.

Couldn't help but think of Boyd while watching Wilson shred the Saints. Both guys are short-ish passers who can run, not running quarterbacks. Boyd's a little more everything (bigger, faster, bigger arm) but Wilson is starting to feel like he's got the magic.

LOL... Suffering a Boyd relapse are we? Are you sure you weren't the one who wrote that "the Browns like Boyd quite a bit"? ;)

Enjoy... but please do not say he's not a running QB. He has nearly 500 carries in his 40-ish game, college career. I'd wager at least half are designed runs including read options. It's part of his "arsenal".

Browns need to draft Derek Carr with their first pick, then take Davante Adams with their second pick. Then go to a pure spread offense and pass 50+ times a game. They will be more exciting and be able to outscore opponents with the defense they already have in place.

Browns need to draft Derek Carr with their first pick, then take Davante Adams with their second pick. Then go to a pure spread offense and pass 50+ times a game. They will be more exciting and be able to outscore opponents with the defense they already have in place.

who and what?

are you big 'slim' jim?

greasy mother fuckers.

guaranteed zit on your nose the next day.

Don't know how many of you watch college football as much as I do, but if you're around a TV on Friday night ask them to put on ESPN2 at 8PM. Towson vs. Eastern Illinois in the quarterfinals of the FCS. It's a chance to watch QB Jimmy Garoppolo live in action. It'll be my first chance to watch him as I have only seen highlights and read articles so far...

Archived