THE BROWNS BOARD

Freeman just got cut

letsgojackets

We could use Freeman as a backup, he has the talent necessary to get some Ws, but he won't sign a one-year contract to come in as a backup and possible starter after a few weeks of practice, only to be dropped at the end of the year.

He's looking to go somewhere where he can compete to be the starter long-term, and I don't think he'll want to compete with Weeden, Hoyer, and probably an incoming 1st round pick next season...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be willing to bet they'll be making phone calls as soon as they know Hoyer's status. Someone will be brought in and Freeman may be one of the options. May be back up, but I don't think that will be the goal if they're looking for a QB.

Bringing in a backup expected to compete for the starting job at this point is really unrealistic...

Weeden is the guy.... I don't like it(and no I didn't boo and shame on you if you did) you don't like it...hell I'll bet Chud

doesn't like ...but for right now they just got a get behind Brandon and see if they can find a guy who can grasp the offense when Weeden goes down...

and he will go down before seasons end he makes himself such a target back there I just don't see him making it through the season unscathed

if you are joe banner right now this morning and you realize hoyer's knees are blown out.......WHAT WOULD U DO??

First, I'd puke, then I'd cry........I know that's what I did.

What Bammer said.

I'll say it. I'm giddy with first place.

Tim Tebow for blocking FB and emergency/trick-play QB. Lauvao and a real FB or blocking TE would help our running game more than any other unemployed RB we could find now. If Hoyer's out for the year, Weeds totally self-destructs or gets hurt too, Campbell sucks/truly doesn't even care about playing, would you rather have Tebow with Chud saying IDGAF or Caleb Hanie?

That said, with our defense and STs, we can win with Weeden. (which brings up what to do with Weeden/Hoyer/draft if we go 10-6, win the division, Weeden still has some God-awful stinkers along the way including one in the first round of the playoffs, but later. We're in first place.)

Think of Weeden as a pitcher - he still does. Chud and Norv have to pitch backwards with him to set up his one strength - the deep ball. Finding Cameron seems like the one exception. Getting Weeds to chuck it OB sometimes would help, too. We have to throw fastballs in junk counts and throw junk in fastball counts. Pick the right situations for the deep balls, hit on 2-3 of them a game, play field position/safe reads/win TOP most of the rest of the way. A 15-yard draw on 3rd and 20, then relying on the defense, helps the cause. As much as we're loving Hoyer, it's not much different with him right now. Our D could well come up with a pick or fumble a couple snaps later, then we're really set. Making double-sure we protect FGs thanks to D/ST play is aggravating for a fan, but it's a smarter move than putting it on Weeds to make a tight throw on 3rd and 8 at the 15.

13-for-24 for 197, 1 TD and 0 turnovers was good. Five sacks was bad. At least stat-wise, Weeds was okay against Baltimore. 21-for-33 for 227, 0 TD, 0 turnovers, still 5 sacks. We got no turnovers, good field position only a couple times and 1 first down running the ball. We have 14 rushing first downs in the last 3 games, not awesome, but enough to do the job. (bring up TRich trade? nah).

We should get Matt Flynn - and a random rookie to beat him for the starting job and actually turn in to a solid starter.

First, I'd puke, then I'd cry........I know that's what I did.

funny shit guys!! LMAO!! (gftchris...that was a joke.....right?).

Bringing in a backup expected to compete for the starting job at this point is really unrealistic...

Weeden is the guy.... I don't like it(and no I didn't boo and shame on you if you did) you don't like it...hell I'll bet Chud

doesn't like ...but for right now they just got a get behind Brandon and see if they can find a guy who can grasp the offense when Weeden goes down...

and he will go down before seasons end he makes himself such a target back there I just don't see him making it through the season unscathed

While the Browns will almost certainly need to bring in a third QB....assuming Hoyer is out, it will not likely be someone that would compete for the starting position at this point....but a young guy or older veteran off the streets who will know that is role is 3rd string QB. I doubt that this front office will bring in Freeman....who is about the only guy out there who seems remotely capable of being an NFL starting QB if their plan is to go after a QB in the draft.

I mean, we went over this in another thread. These are the other names out there:

Jamarcus Russell

Charlie Batch

Byron Leftwich

Tyler Thigpen

Seneca Wallace

Matt Leinert

Vince Young

Matt Blanchard

Matt Brown

Alex Carder

David Carr

Jimmy Clausen

BJ Coleman

Dayn Crist

Austin Davis

Dennis Dixon

Seth Doege

Trent Edwards

Nathan Enderle

Adam Weber

John Parker Wilson

Caleb Hanie

Chandler Harnish

Grahm Harrell

Mike Herman

Mike Kafka

GJ Kinne

Jordan Palmer

Nathan Stanley

Jordan Rodgers

Tim Tebow

Caleb TerBush

James Vandenberg

Pat White

Dalton Williams

Vince Young

and of course now Josh Freeman

Any of those names get you excited? One of them may be joining your Cleveland Browns.

Would Chud bring in Clausen at 3rd string? At least he knows him, having worked with him for 2 years at Carolina.

Mike Herman and Nathan Enderle were both in San Diego with Norv.

So, I say, keep an eye on those names primarily. (unless familiarity bred contempt and these guys now want no part of their former players).

Freeman, of course.

I don't think he got "passed up" by 31 teams. I think his contract got passed up by 31 teams.

I believe if a team had claimed him on waivers they would have to pay him his current contract amount (which I suspect is a good bit of money).

However, if he passes waivers and becomes a free agent teams are free to deal with him and pay him at whatever compensation level they can agree to.

So, I think that is why he was "passed up".

He is there to be had...and someone will probably have him. But who?

Truth be told when looking at Freeman numbers from last year they are a lot better than they initially appear.

After a week 14 last second loss to the Eagles that dropped the Bucs to 6-7 Freeman numbers stood at 25-TD's and 8-INT's. That was the 3rd time the Bucs lost that year with less than a minute left in the game and there fourth loss when leading late in the 4th quarter.

I find it would be quite difficult to think some team is going to pick him up and think hes just going to come in and learn and run their offense after a few weeks. I do believe that whoever does pick him up is doing so for the long haul.

This is the easiest decision the browns could make. The browns need a QB and they obviously have no faith in Campbell (he was a healthy scratch yesterday). Freeman is EASILY the best QB available right now and there'd be no need to sign him to a long term deal. Weeden stays the starter but this puts a fire under his ass to preform. Sign the guy to a two year deal that can we get out of if he ends up being worthless. Honestly, why would we not sign the guy?

1st Post! I think Freeman would be a big disservice to the Browns. He's demanding a lot of money & has had a lot of disciplinary problems. If things go downhill during the season, which is quite possible, he might create another media circus. The best thing for the Browns to do is draft the best QB available in the 1st round of next year's draft. The rookie will be able to matriculate well under the tutelage of Hoyer. Weeden's short-term success will determine CLE's long-term prospects. If he just squeaks by a couple teams (PIT, JAC), CLE will have a good draft position. If Weeden goes on a run & leads the team to 7-9 wins, this will hurt the team in the long term. One must keep in mind the needs of the teams likely to end ahead of CLE in the draft: JAC desperately needs a QB, OAK will probably press Restart with the chaos that Pryor & Flynn have created, PHI can't bank their future on Foles & Barkley, TB will likely end up having to replace Glennon, STL might run out of patience with Bradford by the end of a disappointing season, MIN might not be willing to build a franchise based on Cassel & AZ needs to look past Palmer. From a Machiavellian perspective, the organization must hope to end up with the #3-#7 draft pick, as a playoff run with Weeden is highly unlikely.

1st Post! I think Freeman would be a big disservice to the Browns. He's demanding a lot of money & has had a lot of disciplinary problems. If things go downhill during the season, which is quite possible, he might create another media circus. The best thing for the Browns to do is draft the best QB available in the 1st round of next year's draft. The rookie will be able to matriculate well under the tutelage of Hoyer. Weeden's short-term success will determine CLE's long-term prospects. If he just squeaks by a couple teams (PIT, JAC), CLE will have a good draft position. If Weeden goes on a run & leads the team to 7-9 wins, this will hurt the team in the long term. One must keep in mind the needs of the teams likely to end ahead of CLE in the draft: JAC desperately needs a QB, OAK will probably press Restart with the chaos that Pryor & Flynn have created, PHI can't bank their future on Foles & Barkley, TB will likely end up having to replace Glennon, STL might run out of patience with Bradford by the end of a disappointing season, MIN might not be willing to build a franchise based on Cassel & AZ needs to look past Palmer. From a Machiavellian perspective, the organization must hope to end up with the #3-#7 draft pick, as a playoff run with Weeden is highly unlikely.

Tank job huh? This team is too good RIGHT NOW to even consider that. If we spot a QB in the early part of the 1st, we have plenty of picks to move up and take them no matter where we are. Also, there may be enough good QBs coming out this year to just wait until the end of the 1st to get a good one. There is no way 7 to 9 wins can hurt this team. We are young enough that we need the guys who are on the roster now to continue to build confidence and get better. With all the youth and excitement around this team now, we don't need to slip back into a culture of losing, no matter how it affects our next draft. We are on the upswing, not re-building anymore...

Tank job huh? This team is too good RIGHT NOW to even consider that. If we spot a QB in the early part of the 1st, we have plenty of picks to move up and take them no matter where we are. Also, there may be enough good QBs coming out this year to just wait until the end of the 1st to get a good one. There is no way 7 to 9 wins can hurt this team. We are young enough that we need the guys who are on the roster now to continue to build confidence and get better. With all the youth and excitement around this team now, we don't need to slip back into a culture of losing, no matter how it affects our next draft. We are on the upswing, not re-building anymore...

I don't think CLE should throw games, but if Weeden brings the team crashing down to Earth again, there would be a nice silver lining to it. The ironic part of next year's QB-rich draft is that there are a lot of teams that will be drafting QBs early on.

its been confirmed that "browns have eliminated former Tampa Bay QB Josh Freeman as an option"

??? Yeah I heard on KNR they're thinking of TYLER THIGPEN??? Good point by the talking heads though- they better sign someone pronto. Weeden's lack of pocket awareness says it's odds on he's gonna take a kill shot and wind up on IR himself.

??? Yeah I heard on KNR they're thinking of TYLER THIGPEN??? Good point by the talking heads though- they better sign someone pronto. Weeden's lack of pocket awareness says it's odds on he's gonna take a kill shot and wind up on IR himself.

I played college ball with him. He's a dick.

Who are you talking about?

I am talking about the Bucs wanting to trade Freeman but coming up with no takers. The Bucs dropped him from the roster rather than keep him around. They essentially are paying him to go away. I agree, his contract may be partially the reason he has not been picked up. But, it seems to me that if an employer pays an employee a substantial salary to stay away there are some significant issues that could not be surmounted.......and reading between the lines, I think Frees issues are attitude related. One possible scenario is a team picking up Frees under the condition that the Bucs pay half his salary.

As well, the Browns FO seems to have an aversion to head cases which was partially the reason they sent Trich packing. I can't see them extending an offer to a player with potentially the same reluctance to buy into a teams philosophy and a player who puts himself before the team. I would be very surprised to see Frees in a Browns uni.

How about we get a legit running threat, then all Weed'in has to do is manage the game? I know way easier said than done, but I'm not sure signing a washed or unexperienced head-case / dud is going to do us any good? Campbell is a decent back-up no?

last time i saw campbell he was in street clothes.

cut him asap and sign freeman.

smart, quick and easy.

tyler fucking thigpen? GTFO!

freeman was a first rounder correct? the guy is huge. let him come to the shores of lake erie and play for us. his nose will be running so much because of the cold that he couldn't sniff a line if he wanted to.

besides the quality of coke in cleveland compared to that in florida must be worlds apart.

right zombo?

Archived