THE BROWNS BOARD

What do you think of Clowney's actions lately?

jrb12711

It seems like Clowney is taking it easy to preserve his stock in the NFL draft. Although he was officially classified with a 'muscle strain', it's obvious Spurrier and the SC circle thought he could/should have played. Also, he told them basically right before kickoff that he wasn't planning on suiting up. It does legit seem like he's been dinged up or sick but he's coasting into the draft. Part of me doesn't like that, but another huge part of me doesn't blame the guy either. He's going to be a top 5 pick if he doesn't play another down in college so why let a little injury grow more serious? Just curious what you all think.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9778041/jadeveon-clowney-misses-no-13-south-carolina-gamecocks-game-vs-kentucky-wildcats

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like Clowney is taking it easy to preserve his stock in the NFL draft. Although he was officially classified with a 'muscle strain', it's obvious Spurrier and the SC circle thought he could/should have played. Also, he told them basically right before kickoff that he wasn't planning on suiting up. It does legit seem like he's been dinged up or sick but he's coasting into the draft. Part of me doesn't like that, but another huge part of me doesn't blame the guy either. He's going to be a top 5 pick if he doesn't play another down in college so why let a little injury grow more serious? Just curious what you all think.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9778041/jadeveon-clowney-misses-no-13-south-carolina-gamecocks-game-vs-kentucky-wildcats

I don't like it. It says he's more concerned with his draft position/money than actually trying to play football and get better. If he has what is essentially a year off this year then he's also presumably going to be quite rusty, although for "the best defensive prospect in 20 years" I guess that doesn't mean much.

Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.

Clowney isn't like that. I may not like it, but I understand him not wanting to get hurt, and you guys are way out in left field if you say you don't get it.

"way out in left field if you say you don't get it" I guess I'm standing on the warning track then. So it sounds as though the people "that get it" are 100% fine with a player taking it easy and letting his team down, as long is it because of money............. I'm glad I don't get it.

"way out in left field if you say you don't get it" I guess I'm standing on the warning track then. So it sounds as though the people "that get it" are 100% fine with a player taking it easy and letting his team down, as long is it because of money............. I'm glad I don't get it.

I'm frankly in the middle because I understand both sides. Honestly just think about this for a second and respond. You're in his shoes and know for a fact you have 20 million bucks coming to you barring a serious injury. 20 MILLION DOLLARS. I just don't know man, it sounds easy to say you'd give 100 percent but that's a tough pill to swallow.

To me this speaks to a larger issue of this stupid waiting period in college sports. If you're good enough to make money at what you do, you should be allowed be leave whenever the hell you want. Clowney is supposedly a once in a 20 year talent who would have been the top pick last year yet alone this year. It's ridiculous he should even be in this position to begin with.

Again, I only know what I read from sources like Yahoo! and ESPN and I'm not really following it closely, but for me, if I were a GM, it would be a huge red flag.

I somehow can't see JJ Watt doing that, or wanting to play with someone like that.........Can you? B)

I'm frankly in the middle because I understand both sides. Honestly just think about this for a second and respond. You're in his shoes and know for a fact you have 20 million bucks coming to you barring a serious injury. 20 MILLION DOLLARS. I just don't know man, it sounds easy to say you'd give 100 percent but that's a tough pill to swallow.

To me this speaks to a larger issue of this stupid waiting period in college sports. If you're good enough to make money at what you do, you should be allowed be leave whenever the hell you want. Clowney is supposedly a once in a 20 year talent who would have been the top pick last year yet alone this year. It's ridiculous he should even be in this position to begin with.

It's an interesting point. I assume it's partly to make sure the player has at least some kind of academic background for after they've played, but also so that they guys getting 20m cheques are also a little bit more mature. Look at Manziel - Heisman trophy winner, so by definition 'the best player in college football' or very close, and he's got to hang around another year. Clearly, though, he has maturity issues, so maybe staying in college another year will benefit him?

From another angle, suppose you get a 5* recruit from high school; he red-shirts for a year, then lights it up in his first year on the team. He's only been in college 2 years, so isn't eligible to declare for the draft. Now, he goes back to college as the star, with all the pressure on him to perform - that ability (or inability) to thrive under pressure is another important factor in determining whether he'll be able to make it big in the NFL. If he goes pro after one good year, with a big contract, there's a much higher risk of him being a bust than someone who has 2 or 3 years of solid production, under pressure.

Just my $0.02...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7u6d54jI4k

(OK, I am still trying to figure out why only the link now comes up instead of the video...anyone know?)

you just copied and pasted correct?

no image or url or media buttons to hit, just copy the url when you're on the page at youtube and then just paste directly into this reply box.

It's an interesting point. I assume it's partly to make sure the player has at least some kind of academic background for after they've played, but also so that they guys getting 20m cheques are also a little bit more mature. Look at Manziel - Heisman trophy winner, so by definition 'the best player in college football' or very close, and he's got to hang around another year. Clearly, though, he has maturity issues, so maybe staying in college another year will benefit him?

From another angle, suppose you get a 5* recruit from high school; he red-shirts for a year, then lights it up in his first year on the team. He's only been in college 2 years, so isn't eligible to declare for the draft. Now, he goes back to college as the star, with all the pressure on him to perform - that ability (or inability) to thrive under pressure is another important factor in determining whether he'll be able to make it big in the NFL. If he goes pro after one good year, with a big contract, there's a much higher risk of him being a bust than someone who has 2 or 3 years of solid production, under pressure.

Just my $0.02...

Those are all good points man. I don't disagree with any of that, but it still should be the player's decision to do what he thinks is best for him. It would also be on the NFL teams to know they are taking a risk drafting a guy early to possibly land a superstar. At the end of the day the rule is to make the NCAA money, at least IMO. If they cared about the 'development' of the student they'd have rules across all sports. Why can Missy Franklin win gold medals in the Olympics (which is equal to the pros of swwiming) yet be in college right now and Clowney can't leave early? It's all money unfortunately which really hurts these seemingly NFL ready young guys.

Those are all good points man. I don't disagree with any of that, but it still should be the player's decision to do what he thinks is best for him. It would also be on the NFL teams to know they are taking a risk drafting a guy early to possibly land a superstar. At the end of the day the rule is to make the NCAA money, at least IMO. If they cared about the 'development' of the student they'd have rules across all sports. Why can Missy Franklin win gold medals in the Olympics (which is equal to the pros of swwiming) yet be in college right now and Clowney can't leave early? It's all money unfortunately which really hurts these seemingly NFL ready young guys.

Isn't it something that was agreed between NCAA and NFL, or at least NFLPA? You have to weigh the freedom of the player to make his own decisions against the fact that a large amount of them will be stereotypical 20 year old idiots that just can't wait to cash in on the money and absolutely none of that subset will want to stay in college a year longer than necessary before landing a big contract and buying a new car/home/whatever with shiny wheels. Yes, a house with shiny wheels.

Isn't it something that was agreed between NCAA and NFL, or at least NFLPA? You have to weigh the freedom of the player to make his own decisions against the fact that a large amount of them will be stereotypical 20 year old idiots that just can't wait to cash in on the money and absolutely none of that subset will want to stay in college a year longer than necessary before landing a big contract and buying a new car/home/whatever with shiny wheels. Yes, a house with shiny wheels.

You are right about that, but I think anyway it's naive to say the NCAA doesn't have money in mind in that process. I do understand what you're saying, but 20 year olds are functioning adults. No one would be taken out of high school and maybe a couple would leave after one year. If a kid leaves early and flames out as a result that's his and the organization's dumbass. IDK, it's just crazy to me that someone who is capable of making so much money based on his talents can't do so because 'he's not ready'.

Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.

Um, this is all you need to see about Clowney- at least as good as Suh, and probably better. Not an isolated play, either. Yeah, I'm concerned about the "taking the year off" just so he doesn't get hurt- lousy attitude, but smart. He'll go no lower than #2 overall and may be a #1 if Jacksonville decides they'd rather go D instead of taking Bridgewater.

PS don't know why the link won't work- if someone can fix it, I'd be appreciative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC44nP7ClxM

I think its absolutely bullshit and SC should kick him off the team so he can prepare for the combine. I'm sure there are guys behind him itching to get in and the other 74 or whatever players are trying to win an SEC championship. This guy has shit on the whole program putting himself above the team. If I was a GM I'd think twice about picking this guy because he had problems with taking plays off and people questioned hos conditioning. That means he's not working hard in practice or in games. I want a player who loves football and someone who puts his team above himself. This guy just wants a paycheck. What happens when he's in a contract year? My bet is he pulls a Hillis.

Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.

I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.

Well, certainly possible- with the Steelers- Giants now #2 on the suck-o-meter, & neither in desperate need of a qb - they could well try to move into the #1 slot. OTOH they may know the Jags are taking a qb anyway, and wait for Clowney to fall to them.

To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.

I think its absolutely bullshit and SC should kick him off the team so he can prepare for the combine.

I want a player who loves football and someone who puts his team above himself. This guy just wants a paycheck.

What happens when he's in a contract year? My bet is he pulls a Hillis.

Yup and yup... I think the old ball coach is handling it beautifully.

Why just in a contract year? Given the rookie salary limitations in the most recent CBA why should he put out until he is able to fetch what he (thinks he) is worth after his 4th year? If he's not dropping like a stone on fledgling draft boards, I'd be shocked.

Yup and yup... I think the old ball coach is handling it beautifully.

Why just in a contract year? Given the rookie salary limitations in the most recent CBA why should he put out until he is able to fetch what he (thinks he) is worth after his 4th year? If he's not dropping like a stone on fledgling draft boards, I'd be shocked.

I could be wrong but I doubt he is. There's wayyy too much hype on the guy to fall out of the top 5 barring a serious injury. McShay said that multiple scouts told him that if today he stopped playing college football and just prepared for the NFL draft, he'd be number 1 on their boards.

Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

we may have to move up there just so that Pgh doesn't get him. I know we need a qb but what good will that do if we have to see that guy twice a year? Our nice shiny new qb will not make it through those games. God he'd be an epic hybrid in our 3-4

Um, this is all you need to see about Clowney- at least as good as Suh, and probably better. Not an isolated play, either. Yeah, I'm concerned about the "taking the year off" just so he doesn't get hurt- lousy attitude, but smart. He'll go no lower than #2 overall and may be a #1 if Jacksonville decides they'd rather go D instead of taking Bridgewater.

PS don't know why the link won't work- if someone can fix it, I'd be appreciative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC44nP7ClxM

I didn't see Suh take a year off before he was drafted. Guess that makes Clowney a pussy? Give me a break. This guy should be playing.

we may have to move up there just so that Pgh doesn't get him. I know we need a qb but what good will that do if we have to see that guy twice a year? Our nice shiny new qb will not make it through those games. God he'd be an epic hybrid in our 3-4

Don't be crazy, CLE's D is loaded. They need to focus on the offense this upcoming draft, with a QB 1st and foremost.

I didn't see Suh take a year off before he was drafted. Guess that makes Clowney a pussy? Give me a break. This guy should be playing.

Good point....I remember watching him tearing up the OL of whoever they played in the Holiday Bowl that year.

The Browns will use all their picks in this draft and some from next to secure the QB they desire AND Clowny. Then JC will officially change his name to Browny. This was the secret message behind bringing back Brownie.... feel me?

If he's afraid to be injured, he's playing the wrong game. I would have to question his pride.

When will he take time off in the NFL?

Players PLAY!

Mike

Putting on my Clowney hat, why doesn't Teddy Twatwater sit out the rest of the year? As the projected #1 pick he's risking more scratch than Clowney.

Canton Mike said it best - Players PLAY! Apparently there's a reason Jadevon sports the word "clown" in his last name...

Archived