THE BROWNS BOARD

What do you think of Clowney's actions lately?

jrb12711

How dare I think that NCAA football athletes should get fair compensation for bringing in millions of dollars of jersey and ad revenue, EA Sports (not anymore) and TV contracts to a school.

If you have talent to play at the pro level for a sustained time, chances are you don't give a shit about what classes you're taking.

He should be eligible for the NFL

the paying of the 'star' athlete by having them sell their autographs and memorabilia would not work. what about the other players on the team that aren't stars fucko? don't you think the whole system would collapse? think about this douchebag. let's say i'm an OL and we have a star QB and he's pulling in real money every month showing off his new car and taking girls out to dinner, and we're playing a great defensive team this week will a defensive end who is touted to go in the top ten and it's my job to block for my star QB, well fuck him. you don't think i'd lay down a couple of plays and let the bull rusher through faster than an usher at a movie theater?

clowney should have left the team, because now he looks like a bum and sets a precedent for every other 'star' player to sit when their tummy hurts.

fuck him. fuck south carolina for letting him get away with this shit. quit the team now and say that you'll pay back the school that put you on a platform for you to make 13 mil so you can buy yo mama a new house, get a tripped out range rover, buy your own mansion and have your possee hang out witcha all the time and go out to da club and make it rain.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the paying of the 'star' athlete by having them sell their autographs and memorabilia would not work. what about the other players on the team that aren't stars fucko? don't you think the whole system would collapse? think about this douchebag. let's say i'm an OL and we have a star QB and he's pulling in real money every month showing off his new car and taking girls out to dinner, and we're playing a great defensive team this week will a defensive end who is touted to go in the top ten and it's my job to block for my star QB, well fuck him. you don't think i'd lay down a couple of plays and let the bull rusher through faster than an usher at a movie theater?

Mik, the huge thing you're missing in that statement is all that shit is happening already under the table and the players know it. I would bet my left nut the OL in your example knows the star QB is getting money, taking girls out and has the nice car. Life is supply and demand. If the NCAA approved events to make money anyone could show up, why not? But the star QB is going to get all the people coming to him because that's how everything works. If the Browns had a signing event tomorrow and Oneil Cousins or Joe Haden is there, who are you gonna go to? That doesn't mean Cousins doesn't do his job though. The biggest thing here is how ridiculous it is for people not to be able to market themselves. It's absolutely ridiculous to me.

Mik, the huge thing you're missing in that statement is all that shit is happening already under the table and the players know it. I would bet my left nut the OL in your example knows the star QB is getting money, taking girls out and has the nice car. Life is supply and demand. If the NCAA approved events to make money anyone could show up, why not? But the star QB is going to get all the people coming to him because that's how everything works. If the Browns had a signing event tomorrow and Oneil Cousins or Joe Haden is there, who are you gonna go to? That doesn't mean Cousins doesn't do his job though. The biggest thing here is how ridiculous it is for people not to be able to market themselves. It's absolutely ridiculous to me.

i don't disagree that some arrangement should be made for ALL athletes to get paid some compensation.

BUT that means all athletes. what about the swimming team? what about the volleyball team? are we going to base this 'compensation' upon the percentage of money that will be siphoned in by the tv contracts? if everyone gets paid in 'athletics' does that mean the other student's tuition should go down? i mean the guy studying nuclear physics or neurosurgery and is paying for his school on his own dime and could one day cure cancer or figure out time travel, will have to go through more hardship than some drug dealer turned athlete that can jump high and shoot a ball through the hoop?

way too many factors to go into right now to just think this as easy as to let a QB sign his name and get paid.

why not let the universities dissolve into 2 totally different entities. one for collegiate learning and one for athletics?

the school for academics would give breaks in tuition based upon the dollars the other annex....the athletic faction would bring in? then the athletic annex of said university would have a higher scholarship level, pay all collegiate athletes some stipen and make any athlete eligible for pro athletics after their sophomore year?

that would be a win win. you don't officially know that this guy will be a top ten pick so they have to play every saturday (depending on what sport, of course) to show case their ability BUT YET keeping the school far away enough from their knowledge of said player so when the governing body which is the NCAA comes in and finds out little johnny was not only selling his autograph (which would be legal then) but gun smuggling guns from alabama to nyc, they could just give a cough or a hiccup and say "hey we really didn't know the kid that well....."

until then THEY (players and schools) are nuthing but money luving dirty ass fuckers.

What does my avatar have to do with the discussion? And at least I didn't call Clowney a "lazy Nword".

i get it. it's alright to use the most abusive word known for a female of any race in your cute little koala bear avatar but when i say a dude is a lazy nword makes you better than me?

how about you change your avatar and i'll call clowney a lazy ass african american who'd rather think of himself than as a part of the team?

he'd be a great addition to seal team 6 correct?

i don't disagree that some arrangement should be made for ALL athletes to get paid some compensation.

BUT that means all athletes. what about the swimming team? what about the volleyball team? are we going to base this 'compensation' upon the percentage of money that will be siphoned in by the tv contracts? if everyone gets paid in 'athletics' does that mean the other student's tuition should go down? i mean the guy studying nuclear physics or neurosurgery and is paying for his school on his own dime and could one day cure cancer or figure out time travel, will have to go through more hardship than some drug dealer turned athlete that can jump high and shoot a ball through the hoop?

If there is a swimmer at your college that is famous than by all means yes. I think we're just disagreeing on the core point here. The best example i think in today's game is Teddy Twatwater. Louisville has been largely irrelevant for the past 10 years until he came along. I'd argue Teddy is personally responsible for millions of dollars of revenue including that BCS bowl win. Yeah, he's getting a free 'education' but his likeness is worth WAY more than the value of that. In your example nothing is stopping that scientist from marketing his product and making millions. Say he found a cure for cancer, there's no rules saying he can't go outside the university and sell his idea to whoever the hell he wants. Why should that be any different because someone is an athlete? It's just a crooked system man.

I thought I would be in the minority thinking that this dude is a selfish tool, who is thinking only of himself and letting everyone else down. I'm glad to see I was wrong..........There still may be hope for this country yet.

If there is a swimmer at your college that is famous than by all means yes. I think we're just disagreeing on the core point here. The best example i think in today's game is Teddy Twatwater. Louisville has been largely irrelevant for the past 10 years until he came along. I'd argue Teddy is personally responsible for millions of dollars of revenue including that BCS bowl win. Yeah, he's getting a free 'education' but his likeness is worth WAY more than the value of that. In your example nothing is stopping that scientist from marketing his product and making millions. Say he found a cure for cancer, there's no rules saying he can't go outside the university and sell his idea to whoever the hell he wants. Why should that be any different because someone is an athlete? It's just a crooked system man.

i hear you.

my point is a 'system' and/or 'team' is not based upon ONE individual. so that's why it would be very hard to exclude billy the towel boy from getting some type of payment alongside Teddy Twatwater. this payment thing would break apart college athletics as we know it. all of a sudden the school would be losing out on a lot of money, which we all know, would be detrimental in their eyes even though they are at the core root of the problem.............

it's like these court cases in middle america, where billy buttfuck with one tooth is on camera asking "well i think my daughter should be allowed to play football, just like any other kid." you don't think there would be an uproar from every family of every student athlete asking the question "well what about my son or daughter or shemale (in TCPO's case)" even though he's just a second string ball washer i do believe he should be entitled to some type of compensation!" (as he puts his can of PBR down next to his wife on that god-awful couch that's been handed down generation to generation).

this country is like a team. not going to get into politics, but there are the haves and the have-nots. it's easy enough to keep this capitalist machine rolling while hiding the fact that people are living in shacks or in their cars. but turn the spotlight on that shit and watch all the cockroaches run for cover when there's a march on NCAA hdqrts from the have-nots. the likes of Teddy Twatwater will suddenly take on a new shape and form in their eyes which will liken back to the days when a black man couldn't say hi to a white woman. the collegiate system in this country could not handle it unless every one was getting something, believe me.

outside of the capitalist factor of this discussion this country and it's military and a sports team is a lot bigger than one person. do i have to say it? THERE IS NO I IN TEAM.

Thats when I quit watching football. It's already becoming a league of thugs. Fuck em.

I have no idea how "thugs" is related to my opinion on pay.

yeah I'll see myself out.

LMAO... I liked it...

What really honks me off is the Terrell Pryor incident @ OSU. It's OK for Joe Blow starving student to sell off his AV equipment for $$, but God forbid a student athlete sells off one of his jerseys or trinkets which he legally owns.

In college resold a bunch of LP's I taped... Is there a statute of limitations on copywrite violations?

Talent/ stardom inequalities is why I said equal pay across the board as a "base pay". Then all can make money off of their name. Kinda like capitalism, mik, you Commie bastard... ;)

I have no idea how "thugs" is related to my opinion on pay.

LMAO... I liked it...

In college resold a bunch of LP's I taped... Is there a statute of limitations on copywrite violations?

Talent/ stardom inequalities is why I said equal pay across the board as a "base pay". Then all can make money off of their name. Kinda like capitalism, mik, you Commie bastard... ;)

I think your opinion on pay sucks.

The PAY is 4 years of free education & housing. What I would like to see is the freedom for these scholarship athletes to leave at any time, BUT they repay the school for the years they used IF they leave early by choice. If they graduate, no repayment required as they will have fulfilled the original agreement.

Maybe overly simplistic, but that's my view.

Mike

i hear you.

my point is a 'system' and/or 'team' is not based upon ONE individual. so that's why it would be very hard to exclude billy the towel boy from getting some type of payment alongside Teddy Twatwater. this payment thing would break apart college athletics as we know it. all of a sudden the school would be losing out on a lot of money, which we all know, would be detrimental in their eyes even though they are at the core root of the problem.............

I hear you too. I'm not sure if the school would lose out on a lot of money though especially if you put them in the cut. Other than that, I don't think you'd have to technically exclude anyone. If any athlete on a team wanted to go, then by all means let them go. But let's see how many people want to take a picture with the 3rd string OG when Bridgewater is in the same room. I think the college kids would be smart enough to know if it was worth their time to go or not.

There's no I in team, but some players are just going to be better and therefore be more marketable. There's a reason Payton Manning and Rodgers have all these prime time commercials and Brandon Weeden doesn't. I see it the same way in college. To put it simply again, if you can make money off yourself there should no rule stopping it. As much as I hate those damn Jersey Shore crap shows, I actually applaud them for marketability. The Pauly Shore guy or w/e the fuck his name is still pulls like $100k just to show up somewhere for God's sake.

The PAY is 4 years of free education & housing. What I would like to see is the freedom for these scholarship athletes to leave at any time, BUT they repay the school for the years they used IF they leave early by choice. If they graduate, no repayment required as they will have fulfilled the original agreement.

Maybe overly simplistic, but that's my view.

Mike

this is exactly the answer. simplistic or not. you think you can make millions by all means there's the door, but you better hope you make the money because you have a major debt to pay off at the school now that you left.

I hear you too. I'm not sure if the school would lose out on a lot of money though especially if you put them in the cut. Other than that, I don't think you'd have to technically exclude anyone. If any athlete on a team wanted to go, then by all means let them go. But let's see how many people want to take a picture with the 3rd string OG when Bridgewater is in the same room. I think the college kids would be smart enough to know if it was worth their time to go or not.

There's no I in team, but some players are just going to be better and therefore be more marketable. There's a reason Payton Manning and Rodgers have all these prime time commercials and Brandon Weeden doesn't. I see it the same way in college. To put it simply again, if you can make money off yourself there should no rule stopping it. As much as I hate those damn Jersey Shore crap shows, I actually applaud them for marketability. The Pauly Shore guy or w/e the fuck his name is still pulls like $100k just to show up somewhere for God's sake.

it can't and won't happen. like i said one player's marketability does not outshine the whole team. everyone would have to get paid equally, in every sport.

and NO there would be no standardized form of selling autographs or memorabilia etc. that would be unfair to others which i have explained in earlier post would crumble the foundation of the team.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned unless I missed it is the age factor. This isn't a rule to keep kids in school for at least three years as much as it is about protecting them. The NFL is a man's game, and even though a kid may dominate when he is a frosh, redshirt frosh, sophomore, redshirt sophomore or junior in college, that doesn't mean he is physically ready for the league. Sure, some may bely that theory, but most won't.

Here is an update on Clowney below. A little quick to rush to judgement on the kid, especially after the Ole Ballcoach pretty much mea culpaed already earlier this week.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9804259/jadeveon-clowney-likely-start-says-south-carolina-gamecocks-defensive-coordinator

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- All-American Jadeveon Clowney's time on South Carolina's sidelines is apparently finished.

Gamecocks defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward said Thursday that the injured Clowney will start if healthy Saturday when No. 14 South Caorlina (4-1, 2-1 Southeastern Conference) takes on the Razorbacks (3-3, 0-2).

[+] Enlargencf_g_jadeveonclowney_ms_300x200.jpg
Streeter Lecka/Getty ImagesJadeveon Clowney likely will be back in South Carolina's lineup Saturday after sitting out last weekend's game against Kentucky due to a strained muscle near his ribcage.

Clowney took himself out of last week's 35-28 victory over Kentucky a short time before kickoff, saying he was in too much pain from a strained muscle near his ribcage.

The last-minute absence upset South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier -- "If he wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team if he wants," Spurrier said moments after the Kentucky win -- and led to questions whether the 6-foot-6, 274-pound lineman was fully committed to the Gamecocks or if he was protecting himself for next spring's NFL draft where he's consider a top prospect.

Ward said Clowney successfully finished a second straight day of practice Thursday after missing workouts earlier in the week because of the injury.

"If he's healthy, he's going to start," Ward said. "He practiced two days in a row and I think he's getting better every day."

More from ESPN Insider

mcshay_todd_m.jpgWill sitting out hurt Jadeveon Clowney's stock? It's not going to change any minds in the short term, writes Todd McShay. Draft Blog

kiper_mel_m.jpgJadeveon Clowney still leads the Big Board, Mel Kiper's ranking of the top 25 NFL prospects in college football. But other pass-rushers are moving up. Big Board

Vote: Has Clowney hurt draft stock?

Clowney was not available for comment, but had a large smile on his face and waved to reporters as he walked into the locker room after practice.

Ward talked with trainer Clint Haggard, who said Clowney's received treatment on his injury several times. Ward says Clowney's doing all he can to return.

"I think he'll play based on what we've seen the last two days," Ward said. "He's gotten better. He's still getting a lot of treatment and he'll continue to get a lot of treatment."

Ward said Clowney might have some extra motivation to play well after the events of the past week.

Clowney reaffirmed his commitment to the Gamecocks after Tuesday's practice, saying planned on playing plenty of more snaps in college before considering his future.

"Am I fully committed? Always," Clowney said. "I could've sat out. I'm not looking to sit out. I'm not that type of guy. I'm here for the team."

Spurrier and Clowney acknowledged there was miscommunication last week about the injury.

The coach softened his criticism of Clowney and defended the SEC's reigning defensive player of the year at his weekly media gathering.

"I just want to clear the air that Jadeveon, all those number seven jerseys and all the money he has made for our school , he has been a tremendous, important player," Spurrier said. "Every Gamecock, including me, the coaches and everybody else, we need to be appreciative that he chose South Carolina."

btw, i know this has gotten off-topic but let's think about all these sure fire picks that mcshay and kiper and the rest of the jabbering jaws have talked about the last 5 years.

who really has been one that hasn't disappointed? i can only think of one and that's andrew luck. all this jarvis jones and dee milner (who i wanted btw) and claiborne and blackmon and rg3..................

you might as well just pick a number and let the ball land where it may, cuz it's nothing but a crapshoot.

I think its absolutely bullshit and SC should kick him off the team so he can prepare for the combine. I'm sure there are guys behind him itching to get in and the other 74 or whatever players are trying to win an SEC championship. This guy has shit on the whole program putting himself above the team. If I was a GM I'd think twice about picking this guy because he had problems with taking plays off and people questioned hos conditioning. That means he's not working hard in practice or in games. I want a player who loves football and someone who puts his team above himself. This guy just wants a paycheck. What happens when he's in a contract year? My bet is he pulls a Hillis.

Not even close.

You've also got to wonder what all of these (real or fake) injuries might do to his draft stock - if he's got lots of niggling injuries all year that they're using as an excuse, then will he be labelled injury prone?

I find it hard to believe that anything like pussing out and feigning injury or purposely not playing would ever be a positive for a guy coming out of college, even a talent like Clowney.

Character has a ton to do with things nowadays, but you better believe that not being injury prone or not wanting to play hard all the time holds more credence than smoking a little weed or getting in a bar fight etc.

The NFL will blackball guys like that if they give up in college. If someone (a team) veers from that, they will quickly get the backlash from the rest of the league.

he did doodley squat yesterday. i know he pron should be 'comended' for suiting up and playing but it was sooooooo fucking obvious the guy was playing not to get hurt and was behind the play most of the game.

but god bless the NFL and their teams' scouts. he'll porb go top 5.

i heard almost every nfl team had scouts at the louisville game thursday night to watch bridgewater and his mediocre performance.

man there is going to be a battle to get these QBs this year. i really hope we're not involved in trying to get up to the top 5. after that there should be plenty of fish left in the water.

mariota.

he did doodley squat yesterday. i know he pron should be 'comended' for suiting up and playing but it was sooooooo fucking obvious the guy was playing not to get hurt and was behind the play most of the game.

but god bless the NFL and their teams' scouts. he'll porb go top 5.

i heard almost every nfl team had scouts at the louisville game thursday night to watch bridgewater and his mediocre performance.

man there is going to be a battle to get these QBs this year. i really hope we're not involved in trying to get up to the top 5. after that there should be plenty of fish left in the water.

mariota.

What mik said. Agreed on all counts.

Mike

Archived