THE BROWNS BOARD

What do you think of Clowney's actions lately?

jrb12711

Who gives a shit? I don't blame him. The NCAA is full of shit because a bunch of people are making money at the risk of injury to the players. What do the players get in return? College tuition? Fucking laughable. He'd have been a top 3 pick last year, so no matter what he does this year, he has nowhere to go but down. If he quits his team, I still see him as a top 5 pick.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we may have to move up there just so that Pgh doesn't get him. I know we need a qb but what good will that do if we have to see that guy twice a year? Our nice shiny new qb will not make it through those games. God he'd be an epic hybrid in our 3-4

I can see the Steelers "Play like Clowns for Clowney". IMHO this guy is the second coming of Mean Joe Greene- and then some. I happen to agree with some of the Pro Level Draftnicks who put Clowney #1 on their draft boards. Bridgewater isn't on the level of John Elway or Peyton Manning- but Clowney is on the level of any DL HOFer you care to name- Like Bruce Smith, Reggie White good. Mario Williams went #1, and IMHO Clowney is better.

Don't be crazy, CLE's D is loaded. They need to focus on the offense this upcoming draft, with a QB 1st and foremost.

Unless Weeden totally plays like s**t, I don't see the Browns having enough ammunition to move up to #2 to take Clowney. But we could package a player like Sheard in the trade. Really - put Clowney on the Browns D, add a decent #2 CB, and you'd have the equivalent of any SB winning D you'd care to name.

If he's afraid to be injured, he's playing the wrong game. I would have to question his pride.

When will he take time off in the NFL?

Players PLAY!

Mike

Well it hasn't been unheard of for guys who are worried about such stuff to call up Lloyds of London and take out insurance policies for the injury risk. Incidentally, the latest on ESPN has Clowney in full damage control- "I'm a team guy, I was misunderstood".

Unless Weeden totally plays like s**t, I don't see the Browns having enough ammunition to move up to #2 to take Clowney. But we could package a player like Sheard in the trade. Really - put Clowney on the Browns D, add a decent #2 CB, and you'd have the equivalent of any SB winning D you'd care to name.

CLE doesn't need defensive help, they need offensive help! The 2000 Ravens wouldn't work in the offensive juggernaut the NFL has become.

Who gives a shit? I don't blame him. The NCAA is full of shit because a bunch of people are making money at the risk of injury to the players. What do the players get in return? College tuition? Fucking laughable. He'd have been a top 3 pick last year, so no matter what he does this year, he has nowhere to go but down. If he quits his team, I still see him as a top 5 pick.

the school made a commitment to him and he to the school. the school has held up their end by providing this kid with an education for free and by showcasing him on national tv so instead of selling cars with his edumacation he'll be buying a range rover with cash even before he's drafted.

the dude is a clown. fuck him and anyone that agrees with what he is doing is alright.

like someone else said above: bridgewater or boyd? top 2 QB picks next year? hey fuck it. "coach i tweaked my bung hole muscle and i can't play.....for the rest of the year." how do you think the fans in louisville and clemson would feel about that when their team goes from a BCS contender to a no bid?

there will be a rule set very soon because of this. they should cut this punk from the team and ask for his scholarship money back.

the school made a commitment to him and he to the school. the school has held up their end by providing this kid with an education for free and by showcasing him on national tv so instead of selling cars with his edumacation he'll be buying a range rover with cash even before he's drafted.

the dude is a clown. fuck him and anyone that agrees with what he is doing is alright.

like someone else said above: bridgewater or boyd? top 2 QB picks next year? hey fuck it. "coach i tweaked my bung hole muscle and i can't play.....for the rest of the year." how do you think the fans in louisville and clemson would feel about that when their team goes from a BCS contender to a no bid?

there will be a rule set very soon because of this. they should cut this punk from the team and ask for his scholarship money back.

Who gives a shit? The NCAA is a joke and they're getting away with slavery. Coaches oversee some fuck up and ditch their team for the NFL all the time and there's never any repercussions for them, in fact they get rewarded with fat contracts, why should the players be held to a different standard? The NCAA needs to start giving the players real compensation if they're going to put their livelihood on the line for the school.

Who gives a shit? The NCAA is a joke and they're getting away with slavery. Coaches oversee some fuck up and ditch their team for the NFL all the time and there's never any repercussions for them, in fact they get rewarded with fat contracts, why should the players be held to a different standard? The NCAA needs to start giving the players real compensation if they're going to put their livelihood on the line for the school.

This is wrong. Slavery??? Playing college football is privilege. Nobodys got these guys hooked to chains. They're all free to leave whenever they want. How much is a 4 year degree from Ohio State worth nowadays? These guys choose to play college football. I do think they should get a little more money and should take it easy on some of the stupid infractions. The fact is that after paying for all the other sport and after paying the coaches 99% of college football teams are losing money. As for Clowney, how can share a locker room with 70 other Gamecocks who put their "livelihood" on the line to try and win an SEC championship who will never sniff the NFL.

This is wrong. Slavery??? Playing college football is privilege. Nobodys got these guys hooked to chains. They're all free to leave whenever they want. How much is a 4 year degree from Ohio State worth nowadays? These guys choose to play college football. I do think they should get a little more money and should take it easy on some of the stupid infractions. The fact is that after paying for all the other sport and after paying the coaches 99% of college football teams are losing money. As for Clowney, how can share a locker room with 70 other Gamecocks who put their "livelihood" on the line to try and win an SEC championship who will never sniff the NFL.

Playing college football for three years is an arbitrary necessity for those with enough skill to go pro. As for the other student-athletes who won't go pro, all I can say is too bad for them. Elite-tier athletes, such as Clowney, can only hurt his draft stock, and probably more importantly, his financial security by playing this year. You're nuts if you think $90,000 for 3 years of tuition is fair compensation for the revenue that top football athletes generate.

Playing college football for three years is an arbitrary necessity for those with enough skill to go pro. As for the other student-athletes who won't go pro, all I can say is too bad for them. Elite-tier athletes, such as Clowney, can only hurt his draft stock, and probably more importantly, his financial security by playing this year. You're nuts if you think $90,000 for 3 years of tuition is fair compensation for the revenue that top football athletes generate.

Then he should have went to Canada or took the year off. And too bad for them? I'm sure they feel lucky.

The entitled generation believes they should be compensated for getting up in the morning.

How dare I think that NCAA football athletes should get fair compensation for bringing in millions of dollars of jersey and ad revenue, EA Sports (not anymore) and TV contracts to a school.

99.9% of college athletes go pro in something other than sports.

If you have talent to play at the pro level for a sustained time, chances are you don't give a shit about what classes you're taking.

Then he should have went to Canada or took the year off.

He should be eligible for the NFL

How dare I think that NCAA football athletes should get fair compensation for bringing in millions of dollars of jersey and ad revenue, EA Sports (not anymore) and TV contracts to a school.

If you have talent to play at the pro level for a sustained time, chances are you don't give a shit about what classes you're taking.

He should be eligible for the NFL

There are only a couple cases I can think of (him being one) that wouldn't get destroyed in the NFL if they were eligible. Go ask David Pollack if he's glad he got a free education. Because football makes a few guys stars we should change the whole system? Oh and the game is for the fans.

Hit a nerve?

Just tired of old people saying that young people are all lazy bums who sit around on their arse all day eating junk and playing video games, expecting a paycheque. Those people exist in every generation, and certainly do not define me and mine.

Besides, as VaporTrail says, it's irrelevant to this situation - I'm fairly certain Clowney was advised by his agent to sit out, rather than him coming up with idea on his own.

To settle this compensation argument, what do you think of this idea. The NCAA could sanction and approve sessions where the star athletes of a college program could come and sign autographs, take pictures etc for money. The NCAA and school could take a cut and the athlete gets the other say 50%. That way there's a given program that allows the star athletes to make money off their likeness AND the NCAA gets money. That way, if an athlete takes money outside of said sessions they could severely punished.

I think the bottom line here for everyone is that it's impossible to truly put ourselves in Clowney's situation. As stated, Clowney is staring $20 million dollars dead in the face. It's easy as shit to say 'you gotta play, have integrity' but that's a situation we'll likely NEVER be in. It's also not like he's in a situation where it's illegal what he's doing. What I'm saying is I have no idea how I'd act and I'm not going to sit there and act like a bunch of you. To assume our generation (I'm 23) is a bunch of lazy people is just stupid and ignorant. We're all a bunch of hard working people, but the difference is we can't just go get a job like my dad could and prove our worth.

If Clowney went out there and torn an ACL he'd still be a top 10 pick. How can he look any of his teammates in the eye right now? Oh and any student athlete should be able to profit as much as they can for their own likeness. Instead of trying to figure out how to pay em, let them go do commercials and sign autographs.

I agree.

If Clowney went out there and torn an ACL he'd still be a top 10 pick. How can he look any of his teammates in the eye right now? Oh and any student athlete should be able to profit as much as they can for their own likeness. Instead of trying to figure out how to pay em, let them go do commercials and sign autographs.

But what if he got a Joe Theismann esque injury and never saw the field again? I just don't know man, like I said it's just not fair for me to put myself in his shoes because I have no idea what I'd do.

Point is, he's a South Carolina Gamecock. If he thinks he's too valuable to be playing college football then he should move on like Colt Lyerla. Theres a walk on working his ass off to be on that team right now that also has to figure out a way to pay tuition. The scholarship would be life changing for that kid. Think about the fans, the coaches, and the other players. Hes spitting in all of their faces.

Yup and yup... I think the old ball coach is handling it beautifully.

Incidentally, the latest on ESPN has Clowney in full damage control- "I'm a team guy, I was misunderstood".

Well... the old ball coach was handling it beautifully, but now he's lined up behind his start player. SMH....

As for the paying the "student-atheletes"... Just do it...

Give them all an equal piece of the action and let the better ones make additional coin off of their own names.

Well... the old ball coach was handling it beautifully, but now he's lined up behind his start player. SMH....

Give them all an equal piece of the action and let the better ones make additional coin off of their own names.

Thats when I quit watching football. It's already becoming a league of thugs. Fuck em.

To settle this compensation argument, what do you think of this idea. The NCAA could sanction and approve sessions where the star athletes of a college program could come and sign autographs, take pictures etc for money. The NCAA and school could take a cut and the athlete gets the other say 50%. That way there's a given program that allows the star athletes to make money off their likeness AND the NCAA gets money. That way, if an athlete takes money outside of said sessions they could severely punished.

I think the bottom line here for everyone is that it's impossible to truly put ourselves in Clowney's situation. As stated, Clowney is staring $20 million dollars dead in the face. It's easy as shit to say 'you gotta play, have integrity' but that's a situation we'll likely NEVER be in. It's also not like he's in a situation where it's illegal what he's doing. What I'm saying is I have no idea how I'd act and I'm not going to sit there and act like a bunch of you. To assume our generation (I'm 23) is a bunch of lazy people is just stupid and ignorant. We're all a bunch of hard working people, but the difference is we can't just go get a job like my dad could and prove our worth.

Excellent point. If the BCS paid its players, there would more incentives for players to graduate.

What really honks me off is the Terrell Pryor incident @ OSU. It's OK for Joe Blow starving student to sell off his AV equipment for $$, but God forbid a student athlete sells off one of his jerseys or trinkets which he legally owns.

Archived