THE BROWNS BOARD

Mallet

jcam222

Sooooooo isn't Ryan Mallet a secret love child of Lombardis? Never thought I would say it but PLEAESEEEEEE pull the trigger. Do it, trade a 2nd and Campbell for him. Trade a 1st and Campbell for him. Bring me someone that hasn't already proved to be a failure to run this offense NOW not next year. Eight days left until the trade deadline work some magic.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooooooo isn't Ryan Mallet a secret love child of Lombardis? Never thought I would say it but PLEAESEEEEEE pull the trigger. Do it, trade a 2nd and Campbell for him. Trade a 1st and Campbell for him. Bring me someone that hasn't already proved to be a failure to run this offense NOW not next year. Eight days left until the trade deadline work some magic.

thanks. i agree. i think i said it in at least 3 other threads yesterday.

really. why the fuck not?

i think the FO has given up since the hoyer injury and doesn't care about winning another game this year.

tanking it.

Hoyer could be the next Brady. I really think he's elite.

I know this season is starting to hurt you guys cause of weekends play but I wouldn't waste a draft pick or even trade for a qb right now just because after what I saw from hoyer I think he's going to be a star. So much so that if I would trade Kirk cousins for him in a heArtbeat and depending if rg3 keeps playing like he did against the bears or regresses again maybe even him

Wouldn't trade a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd for him, but I would trade a late or even a package of late picks for him. Maybe a 4th & 5th. But the Patriots know how desperate we are and would want too much for him. Plus, he probably wouldn't be up-to-speed to start for a few weeks. Plus, he might suck even worse than anybody else on the roster...

Sooooooo isn't Ryan Mallet a secret love child of Lombardis? Never thought I would say it but PLEAESEEEEEE pull the trigger. Do it, trade a 2nd and Campbell for him. Trade a 1st and Campbell for him.

trade away the future for maybe a win or two.... Hell NO!

In case you havent noticed Belichick is the master at pimping his backups for suckers to take a chance on, meanwhile the patriots reload.

trade away the future for maybe a win or two.... Hell NO!

In case you havent noticed Belichick is the master at pimping his backups for suckers to take a chance on, meanwhile the patriots reload.

Come on man. Surely you don't think a 2nd round pick is our future. There isn't a single person on this board who knows how good Mallet would or wouldn't be.

Come on man. Surely you don't think a 2nd round pick is our future. There isn't a single person on this board who knows how good Mallet would or wouldn't be.

In case you don't remember you said a first rd pick.

But no to the second also.

Belive it or not this team still has needs and I would rather fix the problems in the upper RDS Vs later rounds.

Make sense?

I think Chud, Banner, and Lombardi all like the idea of a quarterback who can turn a sack into an eight yard gain, especially after watching Weeds. I also think they're roughly 100% set on drafting the long term solution rather than shopping current backups.

This crop has a lot of mobile guys. I imagine they'll be looking hard at Bridgewater, Mariota, Boyd, and Manziel. I'm really concerned about Hundley's consistency and mental makeup. I hope we can get to one of those first two.

Agree with Pluto: Best case is Hoyer is 100% by July and can start for a while, but definitely still draft one at the top. Having him and Mariota would be ideal.

Exactly. Mallet's just as big a question mark as any rookie in the draft.

Why trade a second rounder for him when he was a third round player to begin with. He's not a fine wine and he doesn't get better with age.

He has the words "dumb thug" tattooed on his fingers. Honestly.

Okay not really but it's still an astute observation.

I think Chud, Banner, and Lombardi all like the idea of a quarterback who can turn a sack into an eight yard gain, especially after watching Weeds. I also think they're roughly 100% set on drafting the long term solution rather than shopping current backups.

This crop has a lot of mobile guys. I imagine they'll be looking hard at Bridgewater, Mariota, Boyd, and Manziel. I'm really concerned about Hundley's consistency and mental makeup. I hope we can get to one of those first two.

Agree with Pluto: Best case is Hoyer is 100% by July and can start for a while, but definitely still draft one at the top. Having him and Mariota would be ideal.

Mobility doesn't mean a player can turn a busted play into a good one. Especially at the professional level.

It's almost guaranteed two of these guys will become nothing more than pedestrian starters akin to Sam Bradford.

There's a difference in outrunning college opponents and being able to evade or shake off a sack from a 6'6 300 LB guy running a 4.5.

None of these top tier guys really astound me when it comes to that aspect.

I agree with you. This division has, right now, all the prototypical pocket passers at QB: BR/Flacco/Dalton/and Weeden. I think for next year these guys will want to revise that mix and go after one of these zone read/running QB types. Be that Mariota/Boyd/ Etc. they will want to be the "different" team in the division.

Exactly. Mallet's just as big a question mark as any rookie in the draft.

Why trade a second rounder for him when he was a third round player to begin with. He's not a fine wine and he doesn't get better with age.

He has the words "dumb thug" tattooed on his fingers. Honestly.

Okay not really but it's still an astute observation.

what's happened to our first and second round picks in the past three years?

belichick would not keep a QB on the roster as his back up to brady if (in this league) you are one hit away from being the starter?

i think mallet was steal in the 3rd.

but i also said we should pick up josh freeman after being cut.....so wtf do i know?

Hoyer didn't make the line look twice as good because he ran. It was because he got the ball out on time, 2.9 instead of Weeden's 4.2, which is a ton. Manning and Brady don't get sacked and it's not because they're so nimble (!).

The Browns line personnel is good, better than at least 22 teams. Maybe more. They're just blocking for a really horrible quarterback who holds the ball like Charlie Frye. Frye out, DA in, line "vastly improves." Weeden out, Hoyer in, line "vastly improves." Again, it's the quarterback. Always is. Look at some of the guys blocking and catching for Rodgers after all the injuries... and he smoked us.

The truth is, Weeden is way more athletic than given credit for. He can move. When he takes off, he runs pretty damn well. He won't time in the 40 but he's WAY faster than Brees, Manning, Brady, and plenty of others. His problems are between his ears. He's a stupid QB. He processes slowly. It looks permanent.

Mariota now has 19 TDs and 0 INTs and has run for almost 500 yards at a 10 ypc clip. He's a freak with no dirt on him. He throws a gorgeous ball and has an NFL arm with consistent accuracy even though he goes downfield a ton. Can he run away from NFL players? Of course. He runs a flipping 4.4. He's faster than RG3. He can absolutely out run about 95% of the players in the NFL. He can turn a sack into a gain. You'll have to account for him... and when you do, he can threaten every blade of grass with his arm.

Grossi said it once again: The Browns will take a quarterback at the top of the draft next year. Period. That was the plan when they robbed Indy for a first round pick. They need to get to Bridgewater or Mariota, whatever it takes. They have a ton of other means to fill other holes.

Hoyer didn't make the line look twice as good because he ran. It was because he got the ball out on time, 2.9 instead of Weeden's 4.2, which is a ton. Manning and Brady don't get sacked and it's not because they're so nimble (!).

The Browns line personnel is good, better than at least 22 teams. Maybe more. They're just blocking for a really horrible quarterback who holds the ball like Charlie Frye. Frye out, DA in, line "vastly improves." Weeden out, Hoyer in, line "vastly improves." Again, it's the quarterback. Always is. Look at some of the guys blocking and catching for Rodgers after all the injuries... and he smoked us.

The truth is, Weeden is way more athletic than given credit for. He can move. When he takes off, he runs pretty damn well. He won't time in the 40 but he's WAY faster than Brees, Manning, Brady, and plenty of others. His problems are between his ears. He's a stupid QB. He processes slowly. It looks permanent.

Mariota now has 19 TDs and 0 INTs and has run for almost 500 yards at a 10 ypc clip. He's a freak with no dirt on him. He throws a gorgeous ball and has an NFL arm with consistent accuracy even though he goes downfield a ton. Can he run away from NFL players? Of course. He runs a flipping 4.4. He's faster than RG3. He can absolutely out run about 95% of the players in the NFL. He can turn a sack into a gain. You'll have to account for him... and when you do, he can threaten every blade of grass with his arm.

Grossi said it once again: The Browns will take a quarterback at the top of the draft next year. Period. That was the plan when they robbed Indy for a first round pick. They need to get to Bridgewater or Mariota, whatever it takes. They have a ton of other means to fill other holes.

Once again, running a 4.4 doesn't mean you can evade pressure. It just means you can run a 4.4.

I'm not going to go back and watch every play of his but in the three highlight videos I've seen so far not only was he untouched on his runs, many of them were on either a 3-4 man rush.

He's not going to run past everyone in the NFL, and he's certainly going to see very few 3 man rushes.

Mariota is about two inches taller than RG3 and 10 lbs lighter. He's lankier. He's going to be just as, if not more, prone to injury. I can't imagine a 210 LB QB routinely taking hits from 260-300 LB defenders and staying healthy.

I think you just have a hard on for his speed, and his arm strength is a nice complimenting attribute.

You see Cam Newton, I see a bust.

Good...since you like and endorse Mariota...I hope we go in a completely,opposite direction...I'm reminded of just how shitty Clausen and Leinart really are when you endorse someone...

Hoyer could be the next Brady. I really think he's elite.

I know this season is starting to hurt you guys cause of weekends play but I wouldn't waste a draft pick or even trade for a qb right now just because after what I saw from hoyer I think he's going to be a star. So much so that if I would trade Kirk cousins for him in a heArtbeat and depending if rg3 keeps playing like he did against the bears or regresses again maybe even him

What? lol I like Hoyer. I liked the pick up when the Steelers signed him and was less than pleased when they let him go. However I liked him as a back up/eventual replacement kind of guy. He's been widely regarded for a long time as a possible starter that never had a shot. However to jump on here and imply RG3 should be traded for him or even Cousins for that matter is ridiculous. Although Matt Flynn got a pay day somewhere else becuase of one good game for Green Bay. Either way the sample size for Hoyer is no where near large enough to warrant the above possibilities. The skins also aren't going to trade Cousins for another QB. IF anything RG3 really regresses (not gonna happen) and Cousins becomes the guy for the Skins.

I agree with you. This division has, right now, all the prototypical pocket passers at QB: BR/Flacco/Dalton/and Weeden. I think for next year these guys will want to revise that mix and go after one of these zone read/running QB types. Be that Mariota/Boyd/ Etc. they will want to be the "different" team in the division.

Do you really believe the read option is the future? It's not and it's the reason you see guys like Kaep getting pulled back because of potential for injury.

Do you really believe the read option is the future? It's not and it's the reason you see guys like Kaep getting pulled back because of potential for injury.

No, but I do believe that our front office believes that the quick, mobile QB (not necessarily black....but most are black it seems) like a Kaepernick/RGIII etc. may be the way to go, and may be the kind of quality QB that will be available. Read, Bridgewater/Boyd/Mariota etc.

You watch Mariota and see a bust? Because he has a big arm and great wheels? You wish he threw more picks? You wish he wasn't perfect NFL size at 6'4" and 215?

You lost me on that one. He's got the measurables AND the production. He passes every eyeball test. I have no idea why you see a bust. And he evades EVERYBODY!!

Once again, running a 4.4 doesn't mean you can evade pressure. It just means you can run a 4.4.

I'm not going to go back and watch every play of his but in the three highlight videos I've seen so far not only was he untouched on his runs, many of them were on either a 3-4 man rush.

He's not going to run past everyone in the NFL, and he's certainly going to see very few 3 man rushes.

Mariota is about two inches taller than RG3 and 10 lbs lighter. He's lankier. He's going to be just as, if not more, prone to injury. I can't imagine a 210 LB QB routinely taking hits from 260-300 LB defenders and staying healthy.

I think you just have a hard on for his speed, and his arm strength is a nice complimenting attribute.

You see Cam Newton, I see a bust.

The Baylor kid is rising really fast. Just to add to the mix.

Mobility is becoming more necessary as teams start bringing more heat... and part of the reason they bring more heat is because you're not really allowed to cover anymore. It's a pass the ball, rush the passer league.

It's really, really tough to get away with a statue QB under those circumstances. Sure, Brady and Manning can do it but they're Brady and Manning. That takes time. Instead of getting sacked his rookie year, Manning threw a thousand picks. Brady dinked and dunked for two years.

Quarterbacks who can break out of a dirty pocket and get a first down really put pressure on a defense. You need to know when to get out of bounds and when to get down, but it's most definitely a highly valued attribute. You're seeing the true pocket passers slotting in behind the guys who can move (nobody's taking Mettenberger over Mariota).

You watch Mariota and see a bust? Because he has a big arm and great wheels? You wish he threw more picks? You wish he wasn't perfect NFL size at 6'4" and 215?

You lost me on that one. He's got the measurables AND the production. He passes every eyeball test. I have no idea why you see a bust. And he evades EVERYBODY!!

I see a bust because you're blowing him POG style and, based on your track record, your evaluation of QB's is about as on target as a Brandon Weeden slant pass.

As I said before, show me one example of him shaking off a would be tackler. The guy is practically untouched in the pocket and that's not because of his athleticism. It's because most teams that face Oregon do not have the speed to match and are running 4 and 5 DB's, with a 3 or 4 man rush and a spy on Mariota. Of course he's going to have a clean jersey every game.

In this highlight video, it showcases many of Mariota's big plays from last season. On every single run, he was untouched behind the line of scrimmage. Also, on every single run, he then went down at first meaningful contact (he evaded one guy who dove and slapped his shoe).

Also in this video, there were only two examples of him throwing to receivers that were covered. Nearly all of these passes were either to guys wide open down the field, wide open RB's coming out of the backfield or wide open players coming back on their routes after he scrambles for a couple seconds.

Yes, he has a big arm and is fast. But in every video I've watched so far, he hasn't exhibited anything other than outrunning people slower than him and throwing to his receivers who are outrunning people slower than them.

That's impressive. In college. In the NFL, he's not outrunning everybody. He's going to get pressured and he's going to get hit. There's very little evidence of him dealing with that at this current point in time. That's why I see bust.

It's easy to line your 4.3 speed WR up across from a 4.6 DB and then just chuck him the ball down the field. It's a little different when every DB is running 4.4's and the LB's are running 4.6's.

edit: the video will not link, for some reason.

When is Jameis Winston available for the draft, 2014? Scary good.

Zombo

he's a red-shirt freshman. i'd think he's be available in 2 years.

so you either have the FO thinking that hoyer might come back 100% and be good enough with some backup scrub to get us through 2 more agonizing years on offense (weapons) that we could shore up the right side of the OL, get another WR, a serious CB and a RB.

if not, they're going all in on someone next year.

the biggest bust class of QBs in decades.

I'm on the West Coast and watch a ton of Mariota. If you don't think he's an exciting prospect and an obvious top five pick, either you aren't actually watching him or you don't value athleticism and arm talent in a quarterback. There is no option C.

And my QB acumen is unrivaled in the known universe. Your mind cannot comprehend my powers.

Winston is a redshirt freshman so he only has to play one more year. But you never, ever plan your draft around a guy you'd like to get in two years, before you've even started the next season. Hoyer's healthy, the Browns go 8-8 without multiple picks to trade, they get nowhere near the #1 overall they'd need for Winston.

Nobody nowhere manages personnel like that. It's a great QB draft, the Browns know it, and that's exactly why they stole the extra first round pick from Indy. It's just a matter of who they like best in the top five.

well, i like what i hear about mariota, but i haven't seen enough of him (being on the east coast) to have seen the kid in action. i hear all the good things.........

what scares me is what TCPO brings up is his size. can he be just a pocket passer? is he bigger or smaller than RG3?

dudes have done great things in college just to fall on their faces in the NFL.

what we should have done in the offseason is hire the scout that watched kaepernik and gave all thumbs up.

He's big, Mik: 6'4" and 210-215, depending on whom you ask. Quarterbacks always add weight (like most of us) over the years. Runs in the high 4.3s unofficially which would make him the fastest NFL quarterback on day one.

He now has 19 TDs and 0 INTs passing and is considered the current front runner for the Heisman with Bridgewater and Winston right behind him. Three guys I feel pretty damn confident about in the pros. Bridgewater is the most polished, playing in a true pro style and managing the pocket like a 10-year vet.

I love watching Manziel, too. He'd sure as hell sell tickets. Anyone who says he can't make it work in the pros forgets he plays in the SEC. He's playing against ALL future pros! He's my next fave after the top two.

Don't love Hundley. Hugely disappointed in Tajh's bad showing in the bright lights. Brought up old knocks on him (footwork, accuracy, consistency) that he'd mostly shed. Interested to see how far and fast the Baylor kid rises. He has a huge arm and is ringing up numbers.

Archived