THE BROWNS BOARD

Big announcement at 2 PM

Tim Couch Pulls Out

I guess I have gotten either picky....or I have become ADD as I have not been reading as much as I used to. I have read some Clancy and Ludlum...and used to have no problem, but lately, like when I had this last Clancy Book (Threat Vector, I think), I had trouble getting through it. Finally I got it on CD to listen to in order to finish it.

I will still read Dan Browns books.

But the one guy whose books I can and do breeze through is my favorite author: Bernard Cornwell.

I don't know if you are an Historical Fiction fan, but he is the king of that genre in my opinion.

You may recall the Richard Sharp series (performed in a series by Sean Bean). He is currently working on his Saxon Tales series.

One of the best that he did was a trilogy on the King Arthur tale. A much more "realistic" type rendering of the legend, which I wish would be made into a series.

Give him a try.

Clancy's later books were a little tougher for me to get through. I don't know if I became disinterested or if he lost his edge in his later years. I'm a self-admitted sucker for espionage, whether it be corporate espionage like in The Firm or clandestine operations/rogue spy thrillers similar to the Bourne series or certain Clancy novels.

I've never actually delved into Historical Fiction, but I can see the appeal. I'm afraid I was never a history buff. There are large gaps in my historical knowledge, entire centuries that I know nothing about. For the time being, I satisfy my fiction urges with either present-time special ops novels or dystopian future sagas.

In grade school I read Ender's Game (not quite a dystopian future, but still enjoyable) and was so enthralled that I had to finish both the Ender and Bean series.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clancy's later books were a little tougher for me to get through. I don't know if I became disinterested or if he lost his edge in his later years. I'm a self-admitted sucker for espionage, whether it be corporate espionage like in The Firm or clandestine operations/rogue spy thrillers similar to the Bourne series or certain Clancy novels.

I've never actually delved into Historical Fiction, but I can see the appeal. I'm afraid I was never a history buff. There are large gaps in my historical knowledge, entire centuries that I know nothing about. For the time being, I satisfy my fiction urges with either present-time special ops novels or dystopian future sagas.

In grade school I read Ender's Game (not quite a dystopian future, but still enjoyable) and was so enthralled that I had to finish both the Ender and Bean series.

I don't think you would need to really know the history to enjoy Cornwell's books. Though I am somewhat of a history buff , I did not really know a thing about the era associated with Cornwell's Saxon Tales, and I knew little or nothing about the (IBerian) Peninsula War that took place during the Napoleanic wars that is the primary subject of the Richard Sharp series. Cornwell gives you some historical perspective at the ends of his novels.

• 4 weeks later...

After the experience I had in line waiting for a couple fucking hot dogs yesterday...Haslam, forget about the jumbotrons and additional escalators to make fans happier. Let's start with the basics first (aside from the obvious...putting a winning team on the field).

The speed of service at the food stands is worse than anything I've ever experienced. Kids making minimum wage at McDonald's seem like they are moving at the speed of light compared to the Browns concession workers. Completely ridiculous and unacceptable. Get that service flowing smoothly so people can get back to their seats and enjoy the game. Faster lines means more repeat service which means more $$$.

Then there was the fact they use bait and switch tactics with their season ticket holders. I had BOGO free coupons I figured I'd use since it was the last home game. Price on the board for a hot dog: $4.75. Undisclosed price (until you get up to the counter to pay) for a BOGO free hot dog: $6.75. Attitude of worker when you ask a reasonable question of why is it $2 more: shitty. Keep your damn coupons if you have to pull that crap. The voucher money was better, guess that's why it had to go.

After the experience I had in line waiting for a couple fucking hot dogs yesterday...Haslam, forget about the jumbotrons and additional escalators to make fans happier. Let's start with the basics first (aside from the obvious...putting a winning team on the field).

The speed of service at the food stands is worse than anything I've ever experienced. Kids making minimum wage at McDonald's seem like they are moving at the speed of light compared to the Browns concession workers. Completely ridiculous and unacceptable. Get that service flowing smoothly so people can get back to their seats and enjoy the game. Faster lines means more repeat service which means more $$$.

Then there was the fact they use bait and switch tactics with their season ticket holders. I had BOGO free coupons I figured I'd use since it was the last home game. Price on the board for a hot dog: $4.75. Undisclosed price (until you get up to the counter to pay) for a BOGO free hot dog: $6.75. Attitude of worker when you ask a reasonable question of why is it $2 more: shitty. Keep your damn coupons if you have to pull that crap. The voucher money was better, guess that's why it had to go.

In my opinion anyone that eats at the games is just asking to be robbed. On the rare times I have gone to a game live, I have always "loaded up" on food at either the tailgate or at like the Hard Rock Cafe brunch. The same for booze. You can take a whole 6 pack and drink it at the tailgate for the price of one watered down beer at the stadium.

No thanks. Perhaps the only way to do it is how Ballpeen does......get the club seats and eat at the buffet they provide there.

Peen....give this guy....and the rest of us the dope on how that all works.

In my opinion anyone that eats at the games is just asking to be robbed. On the rare times I have gone to a game live, I have always "loaded up" on food at either the tailgate or at like the Hard Rock Cafe brunch. The same for booze. You can take a whole 6 pack and drink it at the tailgate for the price of one watered down beer at the stadium.

No thanks. Perhaps the only way to do it is how Ballpeen does......get the club seats and eat at the buffet they provide there.

Peen....give this guy....and the rest of us the dope on how that all works.

And that is what I almost always do. On the rare times I do go to buy food, it's when I had the voucher money or in this case, the BOGO free coupons. $4.75 for two hot dogs I was ok with. But then came the bait and switch. Maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised, but it did piss me off. It's supposed to be a thank you for being a season ticket holder, but then became a "well, we don't like you THAT much".

My food and drink strategy is primarily the same way you and Ballpeen do it. Tailgating fill up or then I take advantage of when my friend was able to get me into his company's loge. Unfortunately, they aren't renewing their tickets next year so tailgating food will be the only reasonable option left.

A complainer I see. You expect fast service at a football game at halftime when 40,000 people swap the concessions expecting to be served inside of a few minutes.....LOL

Plus, you do realize the stands are mostly manned by church groups, scout troops, etc, raising money for their cause.....right?

You want fast service, head down there at the start of the 2nd qtr. You will be able to walk right up.

Here is a tip from a veteran....eat a dog or two in the lots or some bar before you enter the stadium, then hit one of the restaurants in the district after the game. It's pretty easy. Don't complain when you can't get your hotdog at halftime as fast as you like. You sound like you have never been to a game or are a simpleton.

JMO

Back in the day I felt comfortable packing a small flask to provide pregame drinking debauchery buzz longevity. There weren't any pat downs, coat pocket checks or genital squeezing as we

experience nowadays.The current security climate treats me like l am a potential "shoe bombers" as the overseers invade my personal space and violate my right to be left the fuck alone as

long as I'm not being a complete dickhead. So it goes

I've recently started downloading novels from Amazon to read on my Kindle Fire. Gipper, I've read some Cornwell over the years although I feel his status as a historical writer is embellished.

I read as much as I can find on WWI and WWII battles. I encourage those with similar tastes to pick up a copy of Anthony Beevors' Stalingrad.

A complainer I see. You expect fast service at a football game at halftime when 40,000 people swap the concessions expecting to be served inside of a few minutes.....LOL

There were seven people in front of me in the line I was in at halftime. No way it should take the entire half and down to four minutes left in the 3rd quarter until I get up to the counter.

Plus, you do realize the stands are mostly manned by church groups, scout troops, etc, raising money for their cause.....right?

No, I did not. I'll rethink that some knowing this, but that still doesn't change the fact they don't need to give attitude when asked a question.

You want fast service, head down there at the start of the 2nd qtr. You will be able to walk right up.

Here is a tip from a veteran....eat a dog or two in the lots or some bar before you enter the stadium, then hit one of the restaurants in the district after the game. It's pretty easy. Don't complain when you can't get your hotdog at halftime as fast as you like. You sound like you have never been to a game or are a simpleton.

JMO

I expect to wait some, sure, but the wait is longer than anything I've ever experienced, by far. And my main point was to say that Haslam should improve this aspect at the games. They did things this year to get the lines moving faster going into the stadium, and IMO it was a success. Why they don't address the vending lines too, I don't know, but they need to. I feel this is an easier fix (and proven it can be done, as they did with the stadium admission lines) that could be addressed before all the work on jumbotrons and escalators are even started.

I hope you read my follow up post as well.

Back in the day I felt comfortable packing a small flask to provide pregame drinking debauchery buzz longevity. There weren't any pat downs, coat pocket checks or genital squeezing as we

experience nowadays.The current security climate treats me like l am a potential "shoe bombers" as the overseers invade my personal space and violate my right to be left the fuck alone as

long as I'm not being a complete dickhead. So it goes

I was in the Detroit Airport on the Christmas Day when the Shoe Bomber guy was coming in. If our flight had been scheduled to leave even a half hour later we probably would have been grounded in the Detroit Airport. Thank Goodness we weren't.

I've recently started downloading novels from Amazon to read on my Kindle Fire. Gipper, I've read some Cornwell over the years although I feel his status as a historical writer is embellished.

His stuff is popular and entertaining and enjoyable....if that is what you mean by embellished.

I read as much as I can find on WWI and WWII battles. I encourage those with similar tastes to pick up a copy of Anthony Beevors' Stalingrad.

I will keep it in mind. Recall that the whole "Call of Duty" type video games came from that movie starring Ed Harris and Jude Law about Stalingrad (can't recall the exact name....Enemy at the Gates? something like that)

I saw the movie. Both actors portrayed snipers

(BTW, if I choose to reply to a post, isn't a copy of the post supposed to appear in the "reply to the topic" box when I click on the "quote" box? I seem to have lost that feature. Thanx for any suggestions.)

I saw the movie. Both actors portrayed snipers

(BTW, if I choose to reply to a post, isn't a copy of the post supposed to appear in the "reply to the topic" box when I click on the "quote" box? I seem to have lost that feature. Thanx for any suggestions.)

It is, and I have no clue why yours doesn't work that way.

Archived