THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft: Running Backs

Shep

Browns are almost certain to add a back early-ish by back standards (late 2nd in a trade-up or early 3rd) to add to Dion Lewis, Obie, and maybe Fozzy.

I think to complete the set you want a pretty big guy, a bell cow. All three of the above are excellent receivers out of the backfield but even though Obie's 220, he isn't REALLY a power runner.

The Boston College kid (6', 227) literally has a thousand yards in the past FOUR GAMES. He's just going off. We all know about James Wilder and Carlos Hyde (who I love). I could see one of those three big backs in an orange helmet next fall.

Hyde is seen as a 3/4 round guy now but that was before he just laid 249 on Illinois. Now has over a thousand in 7 games, I think. I fully expect both him and Williams to rise to be viable mid to late 2nd round picks.

Keep in mind Bernard Pierce (who I wish we had) was a third rounder. I don't think any RBs went round one last year. The best value seems to be around early round 3.

James White, Wisconsin, here... Four-year player with over 500 carries and over 6 ypc.

Utilizes blockers really well, cuts hard, has a burst and can run over DBs if need be. Projected 5th rounder at present.

Early prediction: Dion Lewis is gonna be good. Very good.

the days of the 1 back backfield are done though. Peterson is the last prime. Dion cannot take the whole load so we need to get a power back who is guaranteed at least 3 yds every time he touches the ball. We have that and we have a running game that gives us play action options on 3rd and short.

I'm still a fan of Baylors RB. I think Dion will be average....no doubt better than everyone we have. We need G's for anyone to have success here.

Seastrunk looks awesome 5'10" 210 4.3,The Arizona kids look good and Perkins out of Miss St would look nice in O&B

Oh, I totally agree that you want a few different looks at RB and the days of having a guy get 2,000 yards from scrimmage seem over. But Dion Lewis looked so good in preseason action, he had the entire staff psyched. They still are.

Now I like Fozzy Whitaker, a similar guy. He has natural quicks and is a run/catch guy. I like Obie. I think those three will be on the team next year but we need the bell cow, the big guy who will hit the hole and give you 2nd and 5 instead of 2nd and 9. We need McGahee before the knee injury, maybe five years ago. Andre Brown right now.

Honestly, a healthy Lewis and Obie would've been given us a nice rotation if we hadn't become strangely fixated on McGahee.

Brugler, CBS:

Other Draft Notes:

The senior running back class is one of the weakest in recent memory, but two prospects have helped themselves as much as anyone this season: Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde and Boston College running back Andre Williams. Both have appeared on this weekly feature in the past as players who have helped themselves, but they continue to boost their draft stock as the season stretches into mid-November. The running back position will be dominated by underclassmen in the early rounds, but both Hyde and Williams are top-three senior running backs in my opinion.

Hyde rushed for a career-best 246 yards Saturday against Illinois, averaging 10.3 yards per carry and finishing with five total touchdowns. His game film the past few years was average at best and he appeared to be nothing more than a late rounder entering the season, but he has been extremely impressive in 2013, running with purpose, decisiveness and hunger. Hyde is currently my No. 2 senior running back and is 53 rushing yards away from becoming the first running back under Urban Meyer to eclipse the 1,000-yard rushing mark.

Williams would be more of a household name if he played at a different program, but nonetheless, he leads all of FBS in rushing yards (1,810), which is 371 yards more than the next-best rushing total. Like Hyde, Williams has been productive due to his combination of power and drive, refusing to be stopped. He has been a workhorse with almost 300 carries this season and is using his breakout senior season to get the attention of NFL scouts.

Yeah... there was that step... :D

-----------------------------------------------------

Not to derail the thread, but evidence is mounting that we simply do not have an effective, run blocking O-line. Not sure it matters who we put behind it.

I really like Dion Lewis & he could be very special paired with Carlos Hyde (3rd round). That would be a red zone backfield that would be fun to watch.

Mike

Yeah... there was that step... :D

-----------------------------------------------------

Not to derail the thread, but evidence is mounting that we simply do not have an effective, run blocking O-line. Not sure it matters who we put behind it.

Having a good run blocking O Line is primarily based on having quality OGs. Our OGs are the weak link on this line, and I suspect it possible that that position could be a draft priority. As I stated elsewhere I really like what I have seen out of David Yankey OG Stanford. He will be a guy that could be there in the Browns draft wheelhouse with one of their 1st round picks.

Having a good run blocking O Line is primarily based on having quality OGs. Our OGs are the weak link on this line, and I suspect it possible that that position could be a draft priority. As I stated elsewhere I really like what I have seen out of David Yankey OG Stanford. He will be a guy that could be there in the Browns draft wheelhouse with one of their 1st round picks.

I agree that OG should be a priority, but that should be something we address in FA. Interior offensive line is historically hard to come in immediately out of college and be good. My guess is if we drafted Yankey it would be 2-3 seasons before he's any better than what we have now. Should be some really good options this year in FA and we can draft a guy later to groom. I think G and CB will be addressed before the draft.

I agree that OG should be a priority, but that should be something we address in FA. Interior offensive line is historically hard to come in immediately out of college and be good. My guess is if we drafted Yankey it would be 2-3 seasons before he's any better than what we have now. Should be some really good options this year in FA and we can draft a guy later to groom. I think G and CB will be addressed before the draft.

I guess if we could get an Eric Steinbach type, a FA pickup that played well for us for several years, that would be fine. But here is the list of OF FAs that will be available at the end of the season. Do you see an Eric Steinbach in this group? (or a David Yankey?):

Name/Current Team:

Kevin Boothe, Giants

Willie Colon, Jets

Richie Incognito, ????????

Richard Ohrnberger, Chargers

Alex Parsons, Raiders

Chad Rinehart, Chargers

Matt Slauson, Bears

Wade Smith, Texans

Chris Spencer, Titans

Brian Waters, Cowboys

Danny Watkins, Dolphins

Chris Williams, Rams

Except for Incognito.....who should have stayed In Cognito, there are no names you really recognize.....of course, that is the fate of being an OG. The least recognized position on the field.

Nevertheless....do you all know if any of these guys are worth picking up, over taking a highly rated OG in the draft?

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=G&Year=2014

Not a big fan of your list but this is a list I looked at a couple weeks ago, which has some very intriguing names like Jon Asamoah.

Seems like 80% the same guys. I got my list from KFFL. Not sure why two different sites would have two different lists on such a thing.

Too early to tell anyways. A lot of the guys will re-sign, or refuse to come to Cleveland. I thought we should have signed Geoff Schwartz this past offsesson. Lots of connections there. The one good thing we have in our favor is also working against us re-signing Mack. Its almost impissible to franchise tag interior lineman unless you have tons of free cash and are ready to pay the guy like an elite LT.

Not sure I agree here. I don't think the Browns lack for individual talent on the OL and have committed a TON of resources to it over the past few years. I think we have a couple "systemic" problems:

1. Teams don't fear our passing game very much and haven't for years.

2. Richardson and McGahee suck in completely different ways. Obie and Fozzy seem to do just fine.

3. The Ravens running game suddenly went away when they didn't have Boldin or Pitta and became a run-or-chuck-deep team. Then suddenly it came back last week as the Ravens figured it out. I.e., it wasn't because the Ravens line talent suddenly fell of a ledge.

4. The Packers, Broncos, and Patriots lines are banged up and featuring some UDFA types... but running the ball just fine. We have more "talent" on the line than they do. Hmm.

5. In a passing league, players at all five line spots have to be able to pass block. It's an endless cycle.

Not sure I agree here. I don't think the Browns lack for individual talent on the OL and have committed a TON of resources to it over the past few years. I think we have a couple "systemic" problems:

1. Teams don't fear our passing game very much and haven't for years.

2. Richardson and McGahee suck in completely different ways. Obie and Fozzy seem to do just fine.

3. The Ravens running game suddenly went away when they didn't have Boldin or Pitta and became a run-or-chuck-deep team. Then suddenly it came back last week as the Ravens figured it out. I.e., it wasn't because the Ravens line talent suddenly fell of a ledge.

4. The Packers, Broncos, and Patriots lines are banged up and featuring some UDFA types... but running the ball just fine. We have more "talent" on the line than they do. Hmm.

5. In a passing league, players at all five line spots have to be able to pass block. It's an endless cycle.

Well the Broncos Patriots and Packers have Brady, Manning and had Rodgers. No matter what we do in the offseason I guarantee we wont come out of it with a top 5 QB to keep the safeties honest (at least not immediately). We need to dump Luavou and replace him with someone better. Pinkston and Greco are passable.

Mike, they all have TONS of misses, just like NFL GMs. You pick your favorites but I enjoy hearing from anybody who has the time and experience to actually watch all the prospects a lot and actively think about it, let alone have access to NFL scouts and such.

The CBS site is really useful, constantly updated, and I use it a lot. If Mayock had a free site that kept that up to date, or Greg Cosell, I'm sure I'd put some time in there, too. I like the DraftBrowns guy a lot (Higdon) and of course Alo (Draft Breakdown) and Sobo, all three following the Browns more than anybody else, understanding the needs.

Archived