THE BROWNS BOARD

What's Wrong With Ray Horton?

Tim Couch Pulls Out

I would rather these guys build their own team for the long haul rather than shoehorn some misfits in just to win a couple extra meaningless games. If the North is even weaker next year than it has been this year, I still don't want to us ass end it into the playoffs just so we can get utterly demolished in the first round. When we make the playoffs, I want us to be legit.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

case in point I think that Mangini team we had in 2010 was better than the playoff team a few years ago with DA. We got lucky that year during the reg season. [/quote

We haven't made the playoffs since '02, I believe.

DA never made the playoffs for us. We needed the Colts to beat the Titans in '07 for us to take the wild card, but they sat their starters and Jim Sorgi fucked us.

It's why I hate the guy.

I would rather these guys build their own team for the long haul rather than shoehorn some misfits in just to win a couple extra meaningless games. If the North is even weaker next year than it has been this year, I still don't want to us ass end it into the playoffs just so we can get utterly demolished in the first round. When we make the playoffs, I want us to be legit.

I think the AFC North will be stronger, including us but that's just IMO

I hope not, because what your saying then is that the Ravens and Steelers have hit rock bottom this year. I hope the suffering lasts longer than that.

Me too, but I think the ravens bounce back at least.

Pittsburgh has some interesting issues of their own though with age, but they always draft well it seems. They're also at the point where they probably need to start grooming a Ben replacement.

I'm saying that, if this defense doesn't see marked improvement by this time next season, Horton won't have a job.

Agree with that...

And had the Haden suspension dead wrong... I plead Senior moment.

But I still do not see our OLB's being coveted as 3-down players. Of all on our roster I only see Mingo having that potential*, but he's still a season and 10-20 lbs away from realizing that.

*Edit: potential for capability

Again I'd argue the blitz calls are pathetic and leave people wide open. Maybe I don't understand it well enough, but if I'm sending pressure I'm pressing my corners. I'm sure as shit not letting guys sit wide open in a zone scheme. At least five times on third down today we sent pressure and someone was wide open. I get once or twice, but every time? It just doesn't make sense.

ok, i can't sit here and say i watched the game. had to go to a wake of a friend of friend. but before i left for that occasion 2 things were mentioned in the tavern that probably rang true throughout the game. one was the loose zone coverage that we were playing. i personally hate that scheme and think that you have to have some physical play from the line (cbs hitting the WRs) BUT in that time period there were 2 turnovers forced, one for a touchdown. so somethings are going right with this horton defense.

BUT anyone who disagrees that we should've never gotten krueger and that we don't need a CB (legit, no miss pick) you are fucking insane.

keep the coach. some of these guys gotta go or sit on the bench.

as for the offense. unbelievably bad from what i saw. 3 yd pass here. 4 yd pass there. what a fuckin joke.

The 2 cb's we start are too small to get in the wr's face at the line. Especially against guys like the Bears have.

Haden is 5'11" and 190lbs. Skrine is 5'9" and 185 lbs. Marshall is 6'4" 230 lbs and Jeffery is 6'3" and 215 lbs.

Haden never hits the wr at the line. He lines up off him most plays, and when he does lineup right across form him, he bails at the snap. And Skrine does the same thing

Maybe that's Horton's scheme. But I would bet if Horton had cb's that are 6'2" 215 lbs, they would jam the wr's

The 2 cb's we start are too small to get in the wr's face at the line. Especially against guys like the Bears have.

Haden is 5'11" and 190lbs. Skrine is 5'9" and 185 lbs. Marshall is 6'4" 230 lbs and Jeffery is 6'3" and 215 lbs.

Haden never hits the wr at the line. He lines up off him most plays, and when he does lineup right across form him, he bails at the snap. And Skrine does the same thing

Maybe that's Horton's scheme. But I would bet if Horton had cb's that are 6'2" 215 lbs, they would jam the wr's

read my rant about corners in the other thread.

agree 100%.

Campbell sucked today, and showed why no one really wants him.

Yeah he looked terrible, but it was really windy down there. Cutler was missing throws too

But you are right, Campbell sucked today

neither looked as bad as eli manning.

another game with 5 ints? he has to have set the record by now.

which ponders the question....are the gmen in the QB next year?

I would say no, only because of Eli's contract. No one would trade for him and they can't release him.

We need a safety like Palamalu and a LB like Harrison for Hortons D to work

As long as it's those guys from 5 years ago.

We need a safety like Palamalu and a LB like Harrison for Hortons D to work

Wee need a DC that doesnt live by the soft zone umbrella defense that gave the game away today in the 4th quater...AGAIN!

So much for Hortons auditioning for HC, who would want to bring that garbage on board?

So much for Hortons auditioning for HC, who would want to bring that garbage on board?

Yeah, he's stuck here now. He will get interviews because of the Rooney rule but no one is going to hire him

In the two years Horton was in Arizona (2011, 2012), the Cardinals went 13-19 and went to zero playoff games.

In the year before and year since (2010, 2013), the Cardinals are 13-16 and with zero playoff appearances.

It's like he didn't even exist, to be honest. He made zero mark on that franchise.

Obviously not a very fair stat, just something I thought was interesting.

Ray Horton still hasnt figured out how to put a spy on the half back continuing our fine tradition of getting bamboozled by bubble screens and pitch outs..Im sick of it!

Ray Horton still hasnt figured out how to put a spy on the half back continuing our fine tradition of getting bamboozled by bubble screens and pitch outs..Im sick of it!

It's not that he needs a spy as much as we just need a capable ILB. If Horton is going to bring 5-6, that's going to leave an ILB covering the back. Neither Robertson not DQJ have the coverage skills to do that.

We need a sideline to sideline player, once the edges get sealed (which happens routinely with Mingo in), we don't have a player capable of crossing the field to stop stretch runs, off tackle powers, or pitchouts.

On one play, I can't remember exactly who it was but one of our CB's got blasted on a block by Jeffery and could not beat the block, which led to a 15+ yard run off tackle.

We don't have anyone that can do that. All our lb's are slow. They can't cover Te's let alone rb's

Archived