THE BROWNS BOARD

My take on the Head Coach search

Canton Mike

I see one of two scenarios, both of which are disgusting....

1) McDaniels has already agreed to accept the job & seeming unqualified candidates are being interviewed as a smoke screen to make the ultimate decision of hiring McDaniels look brilliant. This scenario is an insult to my intelligence.

2) McDaniels has said "NO" & these are "panic" interviews because viable candidates, after talking to Chud, Norv, Ray, current players, and/or others in the know, have told the Haslam group they are not interested. This scenario tells me the current FO didn't anticipate possible repercussions from the one year firing of a rookie HC.

IMHO, both scenarios came about due to deceit (Jimmys' pledge to us Fans of continuity), poor decision making (either making a lousy decision hiring Banner, Chud, or both), Banner hiring a totally unqualified Lombardi as GM, & Jimmy, to date, failing to hold Banner & Lombardi responsible for their part in this post season fiasco.

Note to Jimmy Haslam.....You, sir, are dealing with arguably the most passionate Fan base in the NFL. You came with an opportunity to right many wrongs & bring this proud franchise back to dominance. Instead, you now own a franchise mired in distrust, disdain, & lacking the credibility to move forward. Last year, you could sell a FO with vision & a plan. NOW, what can you sell?

I have been a faithful Browns' Fan since the mid 1950s & NEVER thought I would feel compelled to write something like this about the leadership of my beloved Browns.

Jimmy, the above statements are my observations & perceptions. Only you can prove me wrong & I pray that you do, but I guess the key words are, "We'll see".

Mike Flanagan...yes, I've put my real name to it.

Please excuse my signature...It should read, "Yes men are NEVER leaders!"

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, they either fired the first year coach with:

a. No plan at all

b. A plan, but got turned down

c. A plan to hire the great Josh McDaniels, and are going to wait until after the patriot postseason run to announce it.

Jim-Ban-Bardo look like Retards right now.

And they have 9 potential starters entering free agency this year and next, including 4 Pro Bowlers (Ward, Mack, Haden, Cameron) and five other defensive starters who all rated pretty high in Tony Grossi's year-end player ranking (Rubin, Taylor, Sheard, Skrine, Gipson).

So .. how do we keep these nine guys? How do we attract new guys?

Or are we just going to be the best drafters ever and hire the best "yes man" ever to carry out Banbardi's plan?

Tell me these guys have some sort of plan other than thinking they can just out-draft everybody.

Who follows up a lame duck year with another lame duck year? WHO?

Let's bring another Patriots re-tread (our third in seven years) and roll the dice on another first round QB (our third in 7 years, fourth since 99), upgrade the jumbotron, change the uniforms and ask the fans about their "stadium experience".

Elsewhere in the division, returning for 2014:

Steelers:Rooney's 84th year, GM Colbert 14th year, Coach Tomlin 8th year QB Roethlisberger 10th year

Ravens: Biscotti 14th year, GM Newsome 18th year, Coach Harbaugh 7th year, QB Flacco 7th year

Bungles: Brown's 46th year, GM Mike Brown 23rd year, Coach Lewis 11th year, QB Dalton 4th year

We haven't been out of last place since 2007 ... but I am confident if we keep making changes, eventually we will have more 5-11 seasons than 4-12 seasons.

Zombo

Well, they either fired the first year coach with:

a. No plan at all

b. A plan, but got turned down

c. A plan to hire the great Josh McDaniels, and are going to wait until after the patriot postseason run to announce it.

Jim-Ban-Bardo look like Retards right now.

And they have 9 potential starters entering free agency this year and next, including 4 Pro Bowlers (Ward, Mack, Haden, Cameron) and five other defensive starters who all rated pretty high in Tony Grossi's year-end player ranking (Rubin, Taylor, Sheard, Skrine, Gipson).

So .. how do we keep these nine guys? How do we attract new guys?

Or are we just going to be the best drafters ever and hire the best "yes man" ever to carry out Banbardi's plan?

Tell me these guys have some sort of plan other than thinking they can just out-draft everybody.

Who follows up a lame duck year with another lame duck year? WHO?

Let's bring another Patriots re-tread (our third in seven years) and roll the dice on another first round QB (our third in 7 years, fourth since 99), upgrade the jumbotron, change the uniforms and ask the fans about their "stadium experience".

Elsewhere in the division, returning for 2014:

Steelers:Rooney's 84th year, GM Colbert 14th year, Coach Tomlin 8th year QB Roethlisberger 10th year

Ravens: Biscotti 14th year, GM Newsome 18th year, Coach Harbaugh 7th year, QB Flacco 7th year

Bungles: Brown's 46th year, GM Mike Brown 23rd year, Coach Lewis 11th year, QB Dalton 4th year

We haven't been out of last place since 2007 ... but I am confident if we keep making changes, eventually we will have more 5-11 seasons than 4-12 seasons.

Zombo

Zombo,

Everything I FAILED to mention, you DID!! Thanks for having my back.

Mike

Here are BanBardi's plans:

Plan A: Call Jimmy Sexton and ask him who we should hire for HC. Interview him. If they turn us down go to plan B.

Plan B: Call back Jimmy Sexton, tell him the first guy turned the Browns down. Tell him to give us another name. Interview him. If they turn us down, go to plan C.

Plan C: Call back Jimmy Sexton, tell him the second guy turned the Browns down. He gives us another name. They turn us down...you get the point.

I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

If it takes a football coach from Vanderbilt and a six-foot-nothing punk from Texas to turn this franchise around ... then I'm all for it.

1497698_611183668918554_1467447328_n.jpg

At least it would be bold. Going down in flames beats whimpering to the finish line every year like you are in a Groundhog Day movie.

Zombo

I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

Yep. Take a chance, Then let 'em play THEIR way & see what happens. However, it does look as if Franklin may be headed to Penn State.

Mike

Yep. Take a chance, Then let 'em play THEIR way & see what happens. However, it does look as if Franklin may be headed to Penn State.

Mike

That would THRILL me as a Penn State fan. I hope so.

As a Browns fan I am going to amp up my offseason drinking and google Browns videos from the 70's and 80's ... when we weren't great ... but we were fun ... and relevant.

Zombo

People said that when Chip Kelly passed on the Browns too. Gus wrote the book on uptempo offense

If they hire Gus .......and he goes 10-6 and wins the division, then GREAT hire.

If they hire him, and they go 4-12...........see ya and Banner, and Lombardi

WHOEVER THEY HIRE NEEDS TO WIN 8 GAMES.....................

First - GREAT posts, Canton Mike, really OLD buddy, and Zombo. Seriously.

Those two posts should be sent to the three potato heads at the Browns fo.

Certified mail.

Second - what players want to come to a perpetual zoo in the Browns fo?

Or, what qualified coaches will even bother with an interview?

I wouldn't blame Manziel if he pulled an "Eli" - there' no Broadway here for

Johnny Broadway.

Besides, I get tired of announcers talking about how Barfsonhisbooger and Flacco are big

and tough to bring down and can stretch plays ....

If they hire Gus .......and he goes 10-6 and wins the division, then GREAT hire.

If they hire him, and they go 4-12...........see ya and Banner, and Lombardi

WHOEVER THEY HIRE NEEDS TO WIN 8 GAMES.....................

Yup, so when he doesn't, they can fire him and start the process all over again. MHO is Haslam should already have fired Banner and Lombardi for creating this PR mess.

Currently I have 3 ABMs Beer- it's anything but Miller, Coaches- anything but McDaniels, qbs anything but Manziel. .

poor decision making (either making a lousy decision hiring Banner, Chud, or both), Banner hiring a totally unqualified Lombardi as GM, & Jimmy, to date, failing to hold Banner & Lombardi responsible for their part in this post season fiasco.

maybe the mistake was hiring chud in the first place and they found out that he wasn't the solution 'they' were looking for and cut the cord before it got any tighter around 'their' necks.

still i agree haslam needs to make lombardi and banner accountable and i hope they both are sitting on chairs with burning embers if they don't get this next year right with hirings, drafts, FA signings etc.

i agree if we don't see a .500 record next year there will be some real accounting to do.

i'm all about continuity too, unless you have the talent to win and you don't. then that falls on the coaches. bye bye.

on another subject: about manziel. i was listening to mike and mike in the background this morning and something one of them caught me and rings true. with johnny you're kinda getting the tebow show. if hoyer starts the year and we are losing, how long is it going to take for everyone to start the "WE WANT JOHNNY!!!" chant? i mean i like his fire and his ability BUT ya gotta realize he's one NFL hit from being on a stretcher.

Every QB is one hit from being on a stretcher. If that's the only concern you've got, then hop on the Johnny train.

He isn't "small" for his height, definitely built enough to survive.

6'0"-6'1" and 210lbs.

Hoyer is 6'2", 215lbs.

If you have an issue with his size and durability, you have to question Hoyers, who missed most of an NFL season already.

Yes, I was looking at this earlier. An extra inch/6lb isn't a huge amount of difference. It's not like Manziel is a twig like Bridgewater.

Every QB is one hit from being on a stretcher. If that's the only concern you've got, then hop on the Johnny train.

He isn't "small" for his height, definitely built enough to survive.

6'0"-6'1" and 210lbs.

Hoyer is 6'2", 215lbs.

If you have an issue with his size and durability, you have to question Hoyers, who missed most of an NFL season already.

Valid point but Manziel is the type of guy who will take bigger risks, more likely causing injury to himself.

Well, I guess anyone they get for all those positions must have a first name starting with J in order to have synchronisity with the "Flying J" Company. Right?

i'll jump on any train in cleveland that has a bar car and leads us to victory.

none of us know what's gonna happen and we're all gonna change our minds a hundred times between now and next may. i'm just REALLY hoping that this FO knows what the fuck they are doing.

Archived