THE BROWNS BOARD

My take on the Head Coach search

Canton Mike

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still thinking it's going to be McDaniels... don't care what the speculative media says... After the Browns interview Gase, and get turned down, followed by a firm "hell no" from Malzahn, Jimmy will pony up the big bucks to get #3...

BTW... did anybody see how conservative SD's offense was? Pretty sure the Whiz spent too much time interviewing and not enough time gameplanning last week. Curious when we'll hear which job he accepts...

Still thinking it's going to be McDaniels... don't care what the speculative media says... After the Browns interview Gase, and get turned down, followed by a firm "hell no" from Malzahn, Jimmy will pony up the big bucks to get #3...

BTW... did anybody see how conservative SD's offense was? Pretty sure the Whiz spent too much time interviewing and not enough time gameplanning last week. Curious when we'll hear which job he accepts...

You & I are on the same page here.

The first two moves Haslam needs to make are 1) firing Lombardi & 2) keeping Farmer. THEN get somebody other than McDaniels...that guy scares me, but we'll see.

Mike

I think what you're trying to equate, RG3 + knee injury, is impossible to do when applying as a general assessment of players. Plenty of QBs run like Manziel in the NFL. Look at Kaep or Cam, running around, throwing at the last second before crossing the LOS and taking big hits. Injuries happen, especially to mobile QBs, but they happen to all QBs, I.e. Hoyer.

I've seen Russ take some monster shots. That argument holds little weight with me. To each his own.

Yeah- sure Kapernick is 6'4" 230, Newton is 6'5" 245, and Wilson has been lucky so far. Brees knows how to duck. So you want to compare thrice dinged pipsqueak Manziel to Kap and Newton? RGIII does not have Newton's frame either, and in case you forgot, RGIII already had a serious knee injury in college. Mike Vick used to run, got busted up and is fini. That's some pretty weak shit.

Want to lay me an over under how many games Johnny Football lasts before he lands on IR?

Read something that said Haslam was taking the "lead" in the coaching search. Jimmy's getting a little handsy...

Yup... Could it be we have the AFC's Jerry Jones on our hands?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnE8RitIN4s

Damn near. I'm 67...

Wow... there's someone 10% older than me here? Someone I get to call "Sir"? B)

Redskins didn't waste any time..

Nope.. as was pointed out on NFL Live the other day, it's not just a race for the HC's... it's a race for the entire staff.

I think Dan Quinn is the darkhorse. Just a gut feeling. Guy is pretty intense I've heard, and his defense is ridiculous. Don't forget he was D coordinator at Florida, when their D was actually good. If it does end up being him, I wonder who he would bring in as O/C.

Would have to be s great offensive mind if the HC is a defensive type.

I'm warming to Quinn more and more every time I see Seattle's D throttle another opponent. Partly due to my defensive bias...

My guess would be that his Base Offense would be a conservative, Seattle-style, Balanced one.

Gifted DC's are very effective at using their expertise to help their OC's game plan... identify weaknesses to exploit and then let the OC flesh out the details. Seems to be the way that Bill B. operates... Ditto for Pete Carroll...

Yeah- sure Kapernick is 6'4" 230, Newton is 6'5" 245, and Wilson has been lucky so far. Brees knows how to duck.

More than size, it's wisdom. Disagree that Wilson has been lucky... he's a very smart runner. He's also fairly "thick"; he's not a "small guy"... he's just short.

It's not whether or or not a QB on the run is going to get into a big hit situation, they all will. It's the frequency of those situations... and right now Manziel's frequency is as high as RG3's was his rookie year.

Also it seemed to me that Manziel took more hits as a sophomore than he did as a Freshman. Why? I think because A&M was more dependent on him to be competitive in his year 2 than they were when he was a Frosh. I shudder to think of the pounding he'll take trying to propel the Browns (or any other bottom feeder) into the playoffs.

Rob Ryan would be a total disaster here...No thanks!

Agree... He can be my DC anyday, but I just do not see him as a HC.

Archived