THE BROWNS BOARD

If Bridgewater and Bortles are gone what do you do?

jeffinwv

A couple things you can count on:

1. Browns next pick will be a QB. #4 overall or #1 overall, can't say. But they won't go into the draft with a top five pick and a gaping hole at QB and decide to wait. It just isn't done.

2. With the talent we have and will add with 40 mill and 10 picks, the Browns won't draft in the top 5 next year and probably not in the top 12. You get your guy when you have the chance, period.

3. You can't WR yourself to great quarterback play. Great quarterbacks make WRs better.

Take Sammy Watkins, then the best available at ILB, CB, OG with our next two picks, then AJ McCarron in the 3rd round. Hoyer starts. McCarron redshirts for at least a year. The rest of the draft - a blocking TE, a real FB, O-line depth.

At RB, I'm going after Tate and Gerhart, get one of them, with Ogby, Lewis and Edwin. If there's a RB pick in rounds 6-7 that makes lots of sense, ie Andre Williams, Raijon Neal falls that far, take him, and trade/dump Ogby or Edwin.

not been much buzz on Carr lately - he seems to have slipped off the radar when Bortles slipped on.

That was due to his horrible bowl game performance, and I'm glad. He'd be Weeden 2.0. No thanks!

1. Browns next pick will be a QB. #4 overall or #1 overall, can't say. But they won't go into the draft with a top five pick and a gaping hole at QB and decide to wait. It just isn't done.

2. With the talent we have and will add with 40 mill and 10 picks, the Browns won't draft in the top 5 next year and probably not in the top 12. You get your guy when you have the chance, period.

3. You can't WR yourself to great quarterback play. Great quarterbacks make WRs better.

It seems that both the #1 and #2 pick overall are both available to be traded, and the #2 pick is going to be a little less expensive. I'd like to see them trade with the Rams and pick up one of the three (Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel) that they like best.

No clowney? if avail?

Nah... Watkins...

If we stay 3-4 I do not see Clowney as a stand up. Plus there's the whole motivation thang... Clowney has elite talent to be sure (as does Watkins), but I'm just not sure he'll apply himself.

there are other VERY good WRs besides watkins in this upcoming draft. i like the kid, i agree that he is a playmaker, but can we get someone with a little more height? half of the TD passes thrown in the end zone nowadays are to guys that are hovering over their CB matchups.

Very good ones? Yes, but only one elite that I see...

TD passes come in many forms.... back shoulder... low... I'll take agility over height for height's sake...

We shall see, but I'm betting Banner does not think that Hoyer = "gaping hole"...

But if he is unsure, my fallback is on his good sense that he will not elevate a prospect based purely upon need.

Westside Steve made a good point in another thread, where if Browns do well this year we won't be in the top 5-10 for next year's draft. If we don't draft a QB this year, what do you do next year?

If we "do well". I'd say we have our QB...

Clowney could absolutely play in a 3-4. He's already an outstanding run defender with his hand in the ground, let him stand up some and that gets better. When it's time to rush, well then we obviously know he does exceptionally well with his hand in the ground. But if we stay in a 3-4 that position isn't as crucial so it's tough to justify taking him. If however we get a DC who runs a 4-3 or (gasp) a more hybrid approach like the elite teams in the NFL are taking....it's hard to justify not taking him. But it's also hard not to go holy shit we could have Gordon and Watkins catching balls from Hoyer.

My problem with Clowney is that he is a proven quiter when he has nothing left to work for. He was the concensous #1 overall player going into the season and he quit on his team. What happens when he gets a big Top 5 contract or what happens if he plays gets his first big FA contract. I see him quitting.

That's all well and good but the given scenario is what if the only two QBs worth a first round pick are already gone when the browns pick? Making a thirty pick reach just because it's a QB is pure Retardation. Pick Watkins first then Gilbert or Yankey. In the second take Garoppolo or Manziel (yes I'd rather have Garoppolo than Manziel). BPA from there on out but my point is that reaching for need isn't how good teams draft. "It just isn't done"

That's all well and good but the given scenario is what if the only two QBs worth a first round pick are already gone when the browns pick? Making a thirty pick reach just because it's a QB is pure Retardation. Pick Watkins first then Gilbert or Yankey. In the second take Garoppolo or Manziel (yes I'd rather have Garoppolo than Manziel). BPA from there on out but my point is that reaching for need isn't how good teams draft. "It just isn't done"

Manziel will be and early 1st round pick. ESPN has that ball rolling already. Pesonnally, I can't even think about who to draft until we see what kind of coach we end up with, and I do mean "end up" with.

My problem with Clowney is that he is a proven quiter when he has nothing left to work for. He was the concensous #1 overall player going into the season and he quit on his team. What happens when he gets a big Top 5 contract or what happens if he plays gets his first big FA contract. I see him quitting.

really? wow. when you have your future agents telling you to sit the whole year out because of what happened to his teammate the year before........he quit on his team. let's see..........millions of dollars and a football career or learning how to walk again?

there is a reason the guy is slotted as the #1 pick before all the QB talk. he ate up the competition throughout his very limited career SO FAR. sure everyone is going to get that interview. i'm more interested in watching him at the combine and what his #'s are.

a lot of people might rethink picking QBs with their first pick when they see what this monster can do.

i worry about the motivation thing myself but not as a rookie since they have set a rookie scale. you gotta worry when the player's contract is up and they played like superstars, go to FA and get signed for serious loot, only for the guy to say to himself "just got paid, friday night.............."

So we stayed at 4, top 2 QBs are gone, we need to make a decision at this point on the Manziel and Carr, probably the next 2 QBs in line. It would be hard to pass on Manziel, he would surely be gone by our 2nd pick and sketchy reports on Carr as is, do you go Mettenberger with second pick, possibly. Its a tough call, I would probably at this point go Manziel or Watkins.

No need to panic.

At #4 you don't reach for a QB that "might" be good. Manziel is not the answer. Great college QB...but a great NFL QB? Methinks not.

There will be an elite player available that fills a glaring need for the Browns. The need: a second wide receiver that can actually CATCH THE BALL. The answer: Sammy Watkins.

If I'm the GM, that's my move.

With the beat-down that Carr has gotten as a result of his bowl game performance he may be available with our 2nd 1st round pick. I'd take him there with the objective of having him sit and learn the NFL game and the Browns' playbook. The Browns have a good QB in Brian Hoyer. He starts, he plays...and with more offensive weapons HE WILL WIN.

2 - OG - Yankey / Jackson

3a - RB - Seastrunk / et.al.

3b - ILB - Christian Jones (good tackling LB that excels as a coverage backer)

4a - CB - Stanley Jean-Baptiste (huge 6-2 220; Joey Browner-like)

4b - TE - Marcel Jensen (6-5 270; good blocker in run game, athletic receiver for his size)

5 - FS - Ty Zimmerman (6-1, 205; first team All Big 12)

6 - FB - JC Copeland (6-0, 270; just a giant FB!)

7 - DT - Shamar Stephen (6-5, 313; from my alma mater)

i'm not even really sure I give a crap what Clowneys numbers are at the combine, he's field strong as a fuck. Same thing with Werner last year. He put up 25 reps on the 225 which is more than respectable to begin with....but his tape he looked way stronger than that Margus Hunt dude who put up 225 37 times. I think you can train specifically for a lift which is what Hunt did.

maybe. Not convinced of that. I think he's one of those guys that could make millions for years to come if he even modestly applies himself to the trade.

The only gaping hole is in your logic. You are saying that- the FO hasn't said squat. If they think Hoyer is good enough to hold the fort for a year- and I've come to realize Aaron Rodgers he ain't, they may well wait to draft a qb lower and take a sure thing- a Watkins or Clowney instead.

BTW, if they trade up to take Manziel, I'm done.

I don't see how anyone can make definitive statements right now, lol.

Go watch some tape of Manziel, and give some supporting analysis to back up your empty rhetoric.

My empty rhetoric is Manziel is an injury risk. Clayton on ESPN and a couple others think likewise- so there.

Yeah, he's mobile & fast- and small. So I'll let you comment on how great he is on pre & post snap reads, and reading a defense- which are 10X more important in the pros than running around like Fran Tarkention until one of your receivers break open.

Dude thinks "Johnny Football©" is the way to go. I think the guy saw what RGIII did, and is out to top him in shamelessly prostituting himself in the commercial market. Hint: kid win a few NFL games- before you try shit like that.

I haven't endorsed Johnny, I just think it's dumb to bash him without a reason or analysis. You sir, at least gave a reason.

I posted somewhere else how similar Hoyer and Manziel are body composition-wise. What's your thoughts on that?

I've said elsewhere MHO (and other pro scouts) think Manziel's height and weight are inflated. OK, I'll turn it around, you say you've watched tape (more than I have probably) what exactly in your mind makes him a lock top 10 pick? Scrambling ability and foot speed don't cut it in my book, Mike Vick would be on a short trip to Canton if that were the only criteria.

The only thing I need to say to knock manziel is that skip bayless loves him.

That's right the same skip bayless who wouldn't stop sucking Tim tebows dick no matter what, the same skip bayless who seemingly doesn't understand that college football and the NFL aren't the same thing, the same skip bayless who will still be sucking Johnny College Football off even after he has proven that his in over his head in the nfl.

I posted somewhere else how similar Hoyer and Manziel are body composition-wise. What's your thoughts on that?

Perfect example, Hoyer is bigger than Johnny College Football (marginally) and doesn't look to run nearly as much as JCF and he still couldn't stay healthy for three games....

Furthermore everyone keeps talking about how arrogant JCF is, now that doesn't particularly bother me, but if he is even half as arrogant as people are saying there is no way that he'll take any direction. That means he'll get to the league ignoring anyone who warns him not to run so much. He'll be all: "I know what I'm doing, I'm Johnny fucking college football!" Then when his knee bends the wrong way in week two we will be all "dammit JFCF why you no listen?!"

Perfect example, Hoyer is bigger than Johnny College Football (marginally) and doesn't look to run nearly as much as JCF and he still couldn't stay healthy for three games....

Furthermore everyone keeps talking about how arrogant JCF is, now that doesn't particularly bother me, but if he is even half as arrogant as people are saying there is no way that he'll take any direction. That means he'll get to the league ignoring anyone who warns him not to run so much. He'll be all: "I know what I'm doing, I'm Johnny fucking college football!" Then when his knee bends the wrong way in week two we will be all "dammit JFCF why you no listen?!"

if he shows that same arrogance in the NFL he might as well put a target on his back for all the pass rushers to blast him into the ground or the third row.

If you didn't actually watch the games, it's not a fair assessment to claim he quit on his team.

He was double teamed nearly the entire season. After the season he had last year, do you think opposing OC's wouldn't double team him?

This BS about him quitting is just that...BS.

OK so I've come up with a couple of scenarios depending on the way you might want to go with the draft. Each is assuming sticking with the 3-4 defense until we know otherwise.

The "Get a QB early" scenario - including picking up a CB in FA:

1a: JFF - QB

1b: Odell Beckham - WR - excellent (massive) hands, lightning quick, big play threat.

2 - best OG there - Yankey maybe, Richardson - for obvious reasons

3a: Shayne Skov - ILB - might not be available here if he tests well but looks like he'll be a very good player

3b: Carlos Hyde - RB - we need a big between the tackles RB and Hyde represents value here

4a: Marcel Jensen - TE - a big guy who can catch and block, providing depths at TE

4b: Yahwin Smallwood - ILB - ILB depth, especially needed if DQJ is allowed to leave

The "Make the old men happy" mock - Hoyer as starting QB

1a: Jake Matthews, OT - Moving Schwartz inside to RG, shore up the OL

1b: Justin Gilbert, CB - Skrine came on a lot but is just too short for outside corner. Move him inside and put the 6'1 gilbert outside, giving us an elite backfield

2: Jordan Matthews - WR - there's any number of WRs who should be available here and represent similar value. pick your favourite

3a: Shayne Skov - ILB - Again - I'm big on this guy...

3b: A.J.McCarron - we 'game manage' our way to 11-5 seasons like the chiefs and bengals before flaming out in the playoffs

4a: Jordan Zumwalt - OLB - We need another pass rusher, and he's had a solid season, played well (better than Barr) in the bowl

4b: Tyler Larsen - C - More OL depth, solid enough player.

The "Let's make our defense elite" draft: - hoyer starts again

1a: Clowney - he's a beast, but will he convert to 3-4 OLB? Or 3-4 DE?

1b: Ryan Shazier - ILB

2: Bradley roby - CB

3a: Zach Mettenburger, QB

3b: Brandon Coleman, WR

4a: De'Anthony Thomas, RB

4b: Smallwood, ILB, Again

Beyond the 4th, you're looking at upside, not people who can contribute right away, so the position doesn't matter too much

5: Aaron Murray, QB - if we're cutting campbell and weeden we'll need another QB from somewhere

6: Taylor Hart, DE - backup, big guy with potential

7: Some kid with character concerns but big upside - see Billy Winn, Armonty Bryant

So it really depends what you want to do. There's also a mock with Watkins first, but I can't be bothered to flesh it out.

Archived