THE BROWNS BOARD

More gun stuff

gftChris

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The potential for that set up to screw up make it a no go for me at least. What happens if you have to use your "off hand" that doesn't have the watch? I am normally a "no safeties but the one between your ears" kind of guy. I carry Glocks, M&Ps (buy models with zero safeties), and Sigs. I don't like having to mess with any safeties in a high stress situation. I have a ton of range time in so I am comfortable with it.

That's why I made the assumption of technical infallibility. If you can't have something working without problems, it's just a non-starter. The 'no safeties except between your ears' approach is fine when it comes to the individual owner/user of the gun, but that's not generally the issue - if you own a gun and you're going on a rampage down town, you'll be taking your gun-watch.

What it is presumably meant to stop is little kids (or big kids/adults with mental issues, as we've seen happen) coming across the gun on a table, stealing it from a drawer or something else and then shooting someone.

That's why I made the assumption of technical infallibility. If you can't have something working without problems, it's just a non-starter. The 'no safeties except between your ears' approach is fine when it comes to the individual owner/user of the gun, but that's not generally the issue - if you own a gun and you're going on a rampage down town, you'll be taking your gun-watch.

What it is presumably meant to stop is little kids (or big kids/adults with mental issues, as we've seen happen) coming across the gun on a table, stealing it from a drawer or something else and then shooting someone.

I think a gun safe will always be the safest bet for the foreseeable future unless the technology comes around to where it needs to be. I don't have kids. My nieces come by but I have already started teaching them gun safety. I still lock the guns away from them.

I think a gun safe will always be the safest bet for the foreseeable future unless the technology comes around to where it needs to be. I don't have kids. My nieces come by but I have already started teaching them gun safety. I still lock the guns away from them.

And that's relevant how? I mean, 99% of gun owners will be responsible people who teach their little ones good gun safety. But this isn't addressing that issue at all. Think of it as a fail safe, that for the 1% where a gun might be left lying around by a careless owner, or the key to the safe or whatever.

They can implant dime sized chips under your skull that let you use brainwaves to control a laptop. I'm sure whatever is needed for essentially an electronic safety would be very small and reliable.

Did not know about that. Those assholes need to get on a proper knee and ligament replacement that allows you to get back to where you were before the injury. I would be on that.

And that's relevant how? I mean, 99% of gun owners will be responsible people who teach their little ones good gun safety. But this isn't addressing that issue at all. Think of it as a fail safe, that for the 1% where a gun might be left lying around by a careless owner, or the key to the safe or whatever.

If a person is into leaving keys around to gun safes or having guns lying around, why would they be responsible enough to buy a safety watch?

I would take a robo leg right now. I tore my ACL and broke my knee cap playing football in highschool. I have done jiu jitsu and judo for years with only a little bit of aggravation. As I am getting older, I am most definitely getting arthritis in it and injuries are becoming more frequent. I have avoided surgery because I have heard horror stories about of people never being able to do stuff like judo etc. again.

No. But I think the point is they would be forced to.

I think it would be a tough sale. I think some people are doomed to be a danger to themselves and their immediate family. They would not buy the watch and then act shocked when little Billy makes a canoe out of his own skull from the 9mm dad leaves around the living room.

Did not know about that. Those assholes need to get on a proper knee and ligament replacement that allows you to get back to where you were before the injury. I would be on that. Logic

I've overdue for a new artificial knee...you mean I should wait? @@

Almost made a knee doc appt this week. I get a cortizone shot about once a year....

last time, they charged 680 bucks. They called it "minor outpatient surgery" because

they consider the dr office now, a part of the hospital. I called them, annoyed greatly,

and you know? Obamaocare. Thanks for nothin.

BTW, I am going to go to a new doc. Know what he charges for a shot in my knee? $60.00

The watch thing sounds good, but there will be some hacker that

makes a jammer against it.

And expennnnnnnsive? Yep. the old ulterior motive - Obamao style: "price em out of practicality"

Or, it malfunctions in the cold or the rain. I wouldn't trust it.

Did not know about that. Those assholes need to get on a proper knee and ligament replacement that allows you to get back to where you were before the injury. I would be on that. Logic

I've overdue for a new artificial knee...you mean I should wait? @@

Almost made a knee doc appt this week. I get a cortizone shot about once a year....

last time, they charged 680 bucks. They called it "minor outpatient surgery" because

they consider the dr office now, a part of the hospital. I called them, annoyed greatly,

and you know? Obamaocare. Thanks for nothin.

BTW, I am going to go to a new doc. Know what he charges for a shot in my knee? $60.00

The only upside (only one) to the Obamacare disaster is that my wife works for a catholic hospital and now her insurance pays for birth control. I don't think they should have been forced into it but it saves us a few bucks.

How old are you, Cal? Not asking as some set up to be a dick. I turn 32 this summer and my knee is a mess.

You're only 32? No wonder you hate my opinions... B)

End of last year, I turned 63. Retired. My surgeon said my knee

is completely worn out 100 percent, that I should just make

a point of getting a new knee in eight months.....by Nov of...last year.

Yes, I'm just as old school contrary as Diehard is.

I was told by my knee doc in highschool that they wanted to do surgery to replace my ACL but wanted to wait till I was over 30. I presumed that was a way of saying "you won't care as much when your knee is a mess for the rest of your life". I am hoping things have changed in the last 16 years to make it easier to get back to normal function.

The potential for that set up to screw up make it a no go for me at least. What happens if you have to use your "off hand" that doesn't have the watch? I am normally a "no safeties but the one between your ears" kind of guy. I carry Glocks, M&Ps (buy models with zero safeties), and Sigs. I don't like having to mess with any safeties in a high stress situation. I have a ton of range time in so I am comfortable with it.

Yup. Its a $2000 .22LR A gun that fires a target/range round. Hardly a self defense round. I carry Glocks and the wife has a M&P9c because the grip is more comfortable for her than the Blocks.

Kind of a nuisance to take to the range too. Have to swap a watch to let your buddy fire the gun? Aggravating.

This kind of tech is already in gun safes and it has it's faults/drawbacks. I'm a "only safety is between the ears" guy too.

Also, are we going to force criminals to purchases these too? Swap out their illegal guns for smart guns?

I prefer a mechanical option like the magnetic ring that serves as sort of a safety. Magnets are generally pretty reliable.

Magnets are very easily over-writeable. I'm sure that's a word. Point is, if you use a magnet, and magnet anywhere would work with your gun. The 'smart' gun wouldn't.

As for pairing, you'd presumably make it so that the technology never unpairs.

As for pairing, you'd presumably make it so that the technology never unpairs.

Again, the apple/bose analogy. It theoretically never "unpairs." But I've had to "reset" it many times to get it to pair/connect. Not a major hassle to relax and listen to some tunes. Life or death personal defense scenario??? No thanks.

Nobody wants to answer these smart guns will be making their way into the criminal's hands either.... care to address that for us?

Again, the apple/bose analogy. It theoretically never "unpairs." But I've had to "reset" it many times to get it to pair/connect. Not a major hassle to relax and listen to some tunes. Life or death personal defense scenario??? No thanks.

Nobody wants to answer these smart guns will be making their way into the criminal's hands either.... care to address that for us?

The tech is so relatively simple by modern standards that it would be made to work, I don't doubt it. But of course if it can't be proven to consistently work it's out of the question, of course. This whole conversation is working under the assumption that it's going to work.

As for it getting in to criminal's hands, I'm not sure what your point it? This tech wouldn't be addressing the problem of pablo and juan settling their coke dispute, it's dealing with little timmy toddler and stevie psycho getting hold of a gun they shouldn't have and hurting people.

Archived