THE BROWNS BOARD

More gun stuff

gftChris

I assume that example also applies to my wifi connected Sony home theater which I have to reset probably every 4 days or so.

"the more they over think the plumbing the easier it is to stuff up the pipes."

-Scottie

WSS

WSS

Except the technology required would be basically nothing like that complicated. They already have the same level of technology in keyless ignition in modern cars which has proven reliable.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Magnets are very easily over-writeable. I'm sure that's a word. Point is, if you use a magnet, and magnet anywhere would work with your gun. The 'smart' gun wouldn't.

As for pairing, you'd presumably make it so that the technology never unpairs.

I think the point is really only to prevent an Adam LanZa type from spree killing with a stolen weapon. No amount of smart gun technology is going to stop. loughner from buying his guns legally. Really I think the only technology that would be really viable at this time would be RFID.

I think the point is really only to prevent an Adam LanZa type from spree killing with a stolen weapon. No amount of smart gun technology is going to stop loughner from buying his

Yes, exactly. There's nothing that says gun crime can only be solved by a single silver bullet law/method. This would reduce the Adam Lanza killing sprees and little kids having accidents. that's all it's trying to do - that it doesn't solve much else is not a problem.

Well the magnetic safety wouldn't be any less difficult to defeat than a paired phone or watch. It's not like you can just get a refrigerator magnet stick it on there and call it a day

Really? I thought basically any magnet of the same strength would take care of it.

You could probably argue that little sally or nut-job joe probably wouldn't have the wherewithal to find a magnet to make sure they can fire the gun. You may have a point, but if something's 90% safe and something's 95% safe, you'd go for the safer one, all being equal.

Except the technology required would be basically nothing like that complicated. They already have the same level of technology in keyless ignition in modern cars which has proven reliable.

This is also able to be disabled by "the police". Again, No thanks.

Yes, exactly. There's nothing that says gun crime can only be solved by a single silver bullet law/method. This would reduce the Adam Lanza killing sprees and little kids having accidents. that's all it's trying to do - that it doesn't solve much else is not a problem.

Except these are the minute fraction of gun fatalities/homicides. And we're back to qualifying which children's lives are worth more. Those precious angels in Connecticut, or the future thug that probably would be in jail anyway from Cabrini Green?

I am not sure how that qualifies some children's lives as worth more than others. It is putting forth a rather simple solution to cut down on one sector of the the gun violence in this country. Does it solve everything? No, of course not. But I do not see why a solution needs to be all or nothing. Most of the really wide sweeping, major actions that can make a big impact generally get shot down by the pro bun side anyway. So if this solution can't be used because it doesn't do enough, and others can't be used because it does too much, then where is the middle ground?

Except these are the minute fraction of gun fatalities/homicides. And we're back to qualifying which children's lives are worth more. Those precious angels in Connecticut, or the future thug that probably would be in jail anyway from Cabrini Green?

This gets lost in the discussion. People only seem to raise hell and give a fuck after school shootings. During the rest of the year when kids and young guys are getting shot in the hood, no one gives a damn.

It is happening in places where handguns are banned. I don't know how it is possible for the murders to occur. The officials in Chicago should ban murder. I think it will help.

Boy if someone invented a magic gun that could only be fired by its owner who could only use it responsibly.....that would be a wonderful thing.

It does seem as if safes and locks and laws requiring guns be unloaded and stored in the trunk kind of take away any reasonable idea of defending yourself with it.

Of course the magic gun in the first paragraph wouldn't have anything to do with the millions of guns that already exist and will assumedly be perfectly functional for hundreds of years.

But it would be a great starting point for the inevitable cottage industry of bypassing those safeguards.

Making it illegal to sell firearms with firing pins has probably earned a lot of machinists a lot of money. I don't suppose that overriding the magic features on these new guns would be all that daunting.

WSS

Does apple quit trying to build security into their hardware because a tiny percentage of users know how to jailbreak their iPhones? No. They don't.

The thought of giving up on security because a few users will get around it is absurd. The truth is most people aren't that smart.

Does apple quit trying to build security into their hardware because a tiny percentage of users know how to jailbreak their iPhones? No. They don't.

The thought of giving up on security because a few users will get around it is absurd. The truth is most people aren't that smart.

Just saying that it's quite simple to crack the iPod code. And every time they change it the guys that crack it change with them. Just trying to keep you utopians rooted in reality.

WSS

Just saying that it's quite simple to crack the iPod code. And every time they change it the guys that crack it change with them. Just trying to keep you utopians rooted in reality.

WSS

You're right, let's just give up and make sure everybody is armed to the teeth. The population is growing too much anyway, right?

It still all comes down to personal responsibility. Sounds to me, like some would

have a gun cost 3,000 bucks instead of 300. Generally, solving a problem

by creating another problem is a waste of time.

Unless all that is intended, is a big political edge.

RFID? I wonder how many different environments would interfere

with those....

You're right, let's just give up and make sure everybody is armed to the teeth. The population is growing too much anyway, right?

"hey what are all you guys doing?"

"we are praying for world peace! Please join us."

"of course you do understand that it's not going to change anything, correct?"

"oh really? Well I suppose your solution is to just do nothing! Haha!"

Chris feel free to fight the good fight. I'm just saying don't be too disappointed if good intentions result in little or no good to society.

(see my next response)

WSS

ITunes would be out of business if it was that widespread

The reason it isn't more widespread is that 999 out of a thousand people are probably law abiding citizens that don't have the time or patience to fuck around with trying to bypass iPod security. The .005 percent who choose to have no problem.

I assume the vast majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens. Plus you were just crying about the fact that the percentages aren't that big?

WSS

It still all comes down to personal responsibility. Sounds to me, like some would

have a gun cost 3,000 bucks instead of 300. Generally, solving a problem

by creating another problem is a waste of time.

Unless all that is intended, is a big political edge.

RFID? I wonder how many different environments would interfere

with those....

So we shouldn't bother to secure our computers, and rely on personal responsibility to prevent e crimes?

The reason it isn't more widespread is that 999 out of a thousand people are probably law abiding citizens that don't have the time or patience to fuck around with trying to bypass iPod security. The .005 percent who choose to have no problem.

I assume the vast majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens. Plus you were just crying about the fact that the percentages aren't that big?

WSS

Yes thats my point. 90 or more percent can't or won't. That's a win for security

Archived