THE BROWNS BOARD

More gun stuff

gftChris

More gun legislation only effects the people who would follow the law anyway. It becomes another money and time waster for the law abiding. It would not change all of the inner city violence. The violence that helps to produce such large gun death totals that anti-gun folks use a news star to trot out every year when it benefits their agenda.

I would find out what causes young black guys to murder the hell out of each other. But that is more complicated than just sitting back and making life more difficult for the people who aren't part of the problem.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

by the way there are approximately between 200 and 300 million firearms in the United States that we know of. Take a guess as to the ones we don't.

somebody want to look up the number of school shootings or firearm murders? So if that's a tiny percent compared to the number of guns is that a win for security?

WSS

There is only one security feature that's sort of standard. The safrty. I don't get why gun owners have no problems with technology bring built into their guns unless its security technology. That confounds me.

You do realize that safeties have become simpler over time because people were worried about safety features interfering? Even in the old days, people would carry single action 1911s that had the grip safety removed because there were horror stories of them getting stuck and making the gun inoperable. The only reason they kept the flip up safety was because it was a single action trigger. They wanted simplicity on a self defense weapon.

The only tech that gun owners like are things that assist in aiming. Not items that could potentially turn your firearm into a paper weight or a jamming danger.

There is only one security feature that's sort of standard. The safrty. I don't get why gun owners have no problems with technology bring built into their guns unless its security technology. That confounds me.

I think the reason is because there is a loud and prominent section of the left who would like to see guns banned in the United States and those who worry about that fear that this is a first step. And it probably is. Like Obamacare is a step toward single payer socialized medicine and abortion restrictions is a step toward a complete ban.

Everyone is suspicious of the far left at the far right.

WSS

I can understand why you don't want any technology on there that will impede the action, I don't think that's a bad thing. So the task then is to create something that does not in any way prevent you from firing, assuming the correct 'step's have been followed - ie, have your watch/ring/other on you, and the gun will fire 100% of the time.

I can understand why you don't want any technology on there that will impede the action, I don't think that's a bad thing. So the task then is to create something that does not in any way prevent you from firing, assuming the correct 'step's have been followed - ie, have your watch/ring/other on you, and the gun will fire 100% of the time.

That is the problem. Any item that could keep my firearm from firing if there is an error is a no go. Other people can buy that stuff but I would never ever do that.

A horrific example, my wife lost her best friend mid March of last year. They were at the gym. Lorrie, her friend, says she isn't feeling well and then collapses. My wife starts CPR and asks the gym people if they have an AED. My wife is a cardiac nurse and knows how to use one. There was an AED but it was locked away because they didn't want it accessible to dipshits in the immediate gym area. In the time it took them to reach the AED and use it, it was already too late. Lorrie died at 30 from a heart attack. No one knows if the AED could have saved her or not but we do know that having it there and immediately available with no potential hiccups could have saved her life. It is going to be a horrible month around my house.

So I return back to the point that adding any complication to a potentially life saving device will always be a no-go for me. Others can weigh their options and buy it if they feel the need to do so.

That is the problem. Any item that could keep my firearm from firing if there is an error is a no go. Other people can buy that stuff but I would never ever do that.

A horrific example, my wife lost her best friend mid March of last year. They were at the gym. Lorrie, her friend, says she isn't feeling well and then collapses. My wife starts CPR and asks the gym people if they have an AED. My wife is a cardiac nurse and knows how to use one. There was an AED but it was locked away because they didn't want it accessible to dipshits in the immediate gym area. In the time it took them to reach the AED and use it, it was already too late. Lorrie died at 30 from a heart attack. No one knows if the AED could have saved her or not but we do know that having it there and immediately available with no potential hiccups could have saved her life. It is going to be a horrible month around my house.

So I return back to the point that adding any complication to a potentially life saving device will always be a no-go for me. Others can weigh their options and buy it if they feel the need to do so.

Pretty fucking ignorant to purchase an AED and then lock it away. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to use one. Hell, even Woody could probably do it.

You do realize that safeties have become simpler over time because people were worried about safety features interfering? Even in the old days, people would carry single action 1911s that had the grip safety removed because there were horror stories of them getting stuck and making the gun inoperable. The only reason they kept the flip up safety was because it was a single action trigger. They wanted simplicity o n a self defense weapon.

The only tech that gun owners like are things that assist in aiming. Not items that could potentially turn your firearm into a paper weight or a jamming danger.

Doesn't simply being semi auto become a risk of jamming? That's a technology that gun owners don't .seem to mind.

Unless you are using a revolver guns are all technology. Lets get real. RFID isn't likely to suddenly fail on a gun when its otherwise a very reliable technology. The only concern at this point is not about it working. It is about the government. And its valid. But imagine the possibilities. Guns that wouldn't work in public facilities could usher in a new era of public safety. The ability to automatically identify a shooter. It could save a lot of lives.

You do realize that safeties have become simpler over time because people were worried about safety features interfering? Even in the old days, people would carry single action 1911s that had the grip safety removed because there were horror stories of them getting stuck and making the gun inoperable. The only reason they kept the flip up safety was because it was a single action trigger. They wanted simplicity on a self defense weapon.

Akimbo 1911s were straight cheese in MW2. Way too OP

As for thew old criminals won't follow the law deal, that is true, no way around it. But then again that's the criminals guns off the streets never to return when their rampage which according to that argument is going to happen anyway is over. We couldn't have prevented it according to the criminals aren't going to follow laws argument so how is really hurting the law abiding?

Theoretically a system in a school or a mall could be able to scan an RFID chip assess whether the owner held a permit and deactivate the firing mechanism accordingly

Wow. Good luck getting that past the "they're taking our guns!" brigade. Love the idea, but even I'm thinking it's a bit far.

The problem with using tech to create gun-free zones is the low-tech guns that people will sneak in. Of course, if you have police there then you can mitigate it to a degree, but it's a reactive measure. So the problem then is to get the guns out of the hands of criminals. Is it too late to do that? Are there just too many guns in the country now?

But by making many of them striker fired they simplified the process.

Your argument is also used by old guys who use revolvers. They take things a step further and don't want a magazine involved.

I personally like revolvers for this reason. And as for simplifying the process so too will subsequent generations of security technology get better and more refined

As for thew old criminals won't follow the law deal, that is true, no way around it. But then again that's the criminals guns off the streets never to return when their rampage which according to that argument is going to happen anyway is over. We couldn't have prevented it according to the criminals aren't going to follow laws argument so how is really hurting the law abiding?

In your utopian future, my gun would be inactive when the guy shows up to commit the rampage that would remove his gun from the pool of illegal firearms. My gun would also be inactive when someone decides to stab or injure someone without a firearm.

I hope to not be a part of a future like that. Helplessness doesn't sit well with me.

The problem with using tech to create gun-free zones is the low-tech guns that people will sneak in. Of course, if you have police there then you can mitigate it to a degree, but it's a reactive measure. So the problem then is to get the guns out of the hands of criminals. Is it too late to do that? Are there just too many guns in the country now?

There are millions of guns floating around the U.S. The genie is out and there is no putting it back.

In your utopian future, my gun would be inactive when the guy shows up to commit the rampage that would remove his gun from the pool of illegal firearms. My gun would also be inactive when someone decides to stab or injure someone without a firearm.

I hope to not be a part of a future like that. Helplessness doesn't sit well with me.

Your gun could still be enabled if you had a permit. I'There is an answer to that. You don't want to move to the future. I get that. You won't have to worry it wont happen in your life

Archived