THE BROWNS BOARD

DQ Jackson Released

Zombo

One of the classiest guys to wear the brown and orange but it was time. When was the last time DQ had a tackle for loss? All of his tackles are ten yards downfield.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not qualified to judge DQ's "on field" value, but we lost a good man & leader. He set a fine example for this young Browns Team & will be missed. DQ, like the Cavs' "Z", never quit & that should be his legacy. I wish him well.

Mike

Yes DQ was sooo great covering the middle of the field seeing how teams just marched down the field on us...he was a nice run stopper and not much more...take off the rose tinted glasses.

He was not the LB that was getting torched on coverage, no rose tinted glasses here. You let a guy like him walk when you have the replacements set already, which we don't...which is why this is "not" a good thing. For him to be still physically playing at the level he does is quite phenomenal and doesn't happen often at his position. And remember he's been doing ALL the heavy lifting here from day one as it pertains to the LB'ers. When we were in the 4-3 he was the Mike so naturally...but when we ran the 3-4 there was never another ILB that played even remotely near his level. Fujita is the best LB'er that DQ played with in his tenure here with the Browns. And we got him on the downside of his career. So what does that say?

He was not the LB that was getting torched on coverage, no rose tinted glasses here. You let a guy like him walk when you have the replacements set already, which we don't...which is why this is "not" a good thing. For him to be still physically playing at the level he does is quite phenomenal and doesn't happen often at his position. And remember he's been doing ALL the heavy lifting here from day one as it pertains to the LB'ers. When we were in the 4-3 he was the Mike so naturally...but when we ran the 3-4 there was never another ILB that played even remotely near his level. Fujita is the best LB'er that DQ played with in his tenure here with the Browns. And we got him on the downside of his career. So what does that say?

What, you don't think Craig Robertson is a suitable replacement ;-)

It is what it is with DQ. We all like him. His money outweighed production and he probably couldn't come to terms on a re-negotiation. Just how the NFL works.

Can't keep an overpaid underproductive guy just because you like him. And we're in position to upgrade the position through FA and/or the draft.

I love DQ, but overpaying for guys because you don't have their replacements set is how teams end up in salary cap hell. The Browns do have a lot of cap space, but they'll lose a lot of flexibility if they just start throwing money around to guys who are good mentors and nice guys. The only option a FO has is to pay a player according to his production.

He's lost a step...get over it...He's not getting younger..I love DQ's heart. but theres a time to let go and move on.

I imagine that he may resign with the Browns, and they can keep his leadership,

and he'll help the new guy.

Drafting Mack with the first pick in the first round is really lookin like it should happen.

This seems like a Banner move. Have to expect an FA signing and drafted ILB.

Well they had until 3/15 to honor his bonus or whatever. That's shortly into FA and too early for the draft. They had to make a decision before they'd know what would shakeout in FA or in the draft. Apparently renegotiation was not an option (personally I hoped it would work out)

I like DQ a whole lot. But he's definitely overrated by the fanbase. Solid player, but he's overpaid to perform like he does.

I imagine that he may resign with the Browns, and they can keep his leadership,

and he'll help the new guy.

Drafting Mack with the first pick in the first round is really lookin like it should happen.

Nope, I think DQ is gone for good. I'm sure the Browns sat down with DQ and his agent for some negotiating, & they were probably asking way more than what the Browns were willing to shell out. Pettine being a defensive guy- has certainly already looked at hours of tape on every player, & if he wanted to keep Jackson around, he could have. It's not like DQ was rivaling Clay Jr, Urlacher or Butkus in his production, either.

Look at this as a Steelers move- they've let fan favorites like Green, Lloyd, Burress, and Wallace all walk- because they didn't think they were worth it- and most of the time, they've been right.

& PG, don't blame this as a Banner move- he has zero say in anything anymore- I'd love to have his do-nothing job collecting a huge paycheck for the next couple of months.

I'd love to have his do-nothing job collecting a huge paycheck for the next couple of months.

hell that would make my year or two with what he's getting paid. i really wonder how much we are still paying out to our players, coaches and FO personnel that we've shit-canned in the past decade?

that total would be like hitting the lotto.

I think it was a bad move, it's not like they had to give him a huge contract, hopefully whoever they put into ILB now will be able to produce well.

Wasn't that good is a bit of a stretch. He was no world beater. He was solid, middle of the pack talent. He's a starter, nothing more, nothing less.

His production didn't match his contract, its a simple concept.

There is a possibility, however slight, that we could move back 2-4 spaces and end up taking Khalil Mack at 6-8.

I would seriously hate that if it were the case, this is such a talented draft class and to waste it on an ILB is insane.

I think it was a bad move, it's not like they had to give him a huge contract, hopefully whoever they put into ILB now will be able to produce well.

I would seriously hate that if it were the case, this is such a talented draft class and to waste it on an ILB is insane.

Don't see how that's a waste. ILB is a very important position on the defense.

...that is the part that pisses me off. We have so much damn cap room and we keep guys that should be cut and let walk the guys we should keep. Why create a hole where there isn't one. We will have to now find a guy that can fit the bill and we'll still have to pay him close to what DQ probably wanted. In the end how much are we really saving?

Those other guys may also soon be receiving their walking papers.

It was the big bonus due to DQ that did him in. Had he not had that, he may still have been here, mentoring younger....better players.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, the undisputed leader of the Browns and most beloved player on the team, said Wednesday that he was "more than willing to restructure'' his contract to remain with the Browns, but that the two sides couldn't agree on the number.

"My agent Brian Mackler and I made the decision that if I was going to take that offer I'd go somewhere else where there's a little bit more stability and a situation that's a little bit better for me,'' Jackson said in an exclusive interview with Northeast Ohio Media Group. "I told (GM) Ray Farmer I think I've been a strong soldier for eight years and I just felt like -- we both did -- we couldn't come up with a number and we both felt like it was better for both sides just to move on.''

Jackson stressed that it's bittersweet, "but at this point in my career, I gave Cleveland everything I had. This time around I have a chance to choose where I want to go. I've saved my money and it's time for me to experience something different. I hate to say it, but I think it was necessary.''

He added, "there was a time when I thought I was out of the league three years ago. The good thing about this situation is I had a good year, I'm healthy and that's all I can ask for. I know I have job.''

Jackson, 30, was released on Wednesday instead of the Browns paying him the $4.0 million roster bonus due March 16 and a $100,000 workout bonus. Jackson, who signed a five-year contract extension two years ago through 2016 worth $42.5 million -- including $19 million in guarantees and bonuses, was due to make $3.93 million this season.

His salaries for 2015 and 2016 were $7.73 million and $7 million, respectively. The Browns will have $4.2 million in dead money on the books for him this year. If he had stayed, his cap number would've been $9.43 million.

"I definitely would've stayed if they would've payed the $4.0 million bonus,'' Jackson said. "I want to be around when Cleveland turns the corner. My feeling was always that 'this year is going to be the year.' There wouldn't have been any doubt in my mind that I wanted to be in Cleveland.''

The longest tenured member of the Browns at eight seasons, Jackson is currently a free agent and can sign with any team. His agent was already fielding calls from numerous teams within minutes after Jackson's release and he's expected to begin making visits on Friday.

"I'm willing to go to 31 other teams at this point,'' Jackson said. "Obviously I'm looking for a place that has some type of stability, someplace that a guy that's been around and you know he's not going to be out in two years. I don't have a crystal ball or anything but ideally that's going to probably have a lot of weight in determining my decision in where I go.''

Mackler said the issue with Jackson was that "we needed a commitment from the Browns that D'Qwell was going to be with the Browns for the next two to three years. They couldn't provide that, so we decided to have a mutual split.''

Mackler said he's never seen anything like the outpouring of support for Jackson from all over the league.

"In 24 years of doing this, D'Qwell has been one of the most respected people in the business that I've ever come across, whether you're talking about players, coaches or front office people,'' said Mackler. "The people that have left this organization value what he brings on and off the field. D'Qwell won't have a lack of suitors, and he'll have a choice of where he wants to go.''

Jackson, the Browns second-round pick in 2006 out of Maryland, admitted it would be tough to make the playoffs next year with another team.

"It'll be exciting for the simple fact that I'm in the playoffs, but then I'll feel like I'm cheating on Cleveland the first year I'm gone, because I wanted to do it in Cleveland,'' he said. "It will be exciting, but at the same time, I wish my brothers in Cleveland could experience it if they don't make the playoffs this year.''

Jackson's leadership ability was unparalleled in the Browns locker room. He held the team together through the trade of Trent Richardson last season and through subsequent rumors that Josh Gordon was on the trading block. He also guided the locker room through the suspension of Joe Haden for Adderall use in 2013 and through the firings of numerous coaches.

Jackson, who missed all but six games in 2009-10 with torn pectoral muscles, played for four different head coaches in his eight years here. He was miffed this year after the Browns fired Rob Chudzinski, and began growing weary of the upheaval.

"Every time a move happens like that, you think about it,'' said Jackson. "It's just a natural reaction. I didn't see it coming. I remember being asked about it in Pittsburgh and it was bizarre. I was angry. I couldn't believe people would start a rumor like that.''

Jackson felt like he was in good standing with the team until CEO Joe Banner and GM Mike Lombardi were let go Feb. 11.

"After that, I didn't know what to expect,'' he said. "I thought I was going to be here when they were still here, but there's no definite truth to that. That's just my natural feel. The decision was made quickly and they have some guys they have to take care of, Jordan Cameron, Josh Gordon. I'm not upset, because I know it's going to leave them room to take care of those guys when those guys are up.''

Jackson acknowledged that going 41-87 in his eight years took its toll. He never made the playoffs and experience only one winning season, the 10-6 campaign of 2007.

"Losing year after year, it sucks,'' said Jackson. "What I learned early on probably four years ago, you dig deep to find your strength during all that losing. find..and I was so optimistic when I was there in Cleveland -- I felt like we could win every game. I felt every year like we would go to the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. But my fear of losing that desire to play the game is what drove me to prepare and play hard.''

Jackson said he consulted with former teammates such as Scott Fujita, Mike Adams (Pops) and Eric Barton to make his decision. He watched Adams go to the Super Bowl this year with Denver after years of losing in Cleveland.

"All the guys that have left and have gone on to win -- Phil (Dawson) made a big kick and I was texting him and Pops is one of my good friends, so we keep in touch and he would tell me he loved Cleveland,'' said Jackson. "There's something about being in Cleveland. The guys are close. The guys go through tough times together, and at the same time he's experiencing a different locker room, he's experiencing something totally different and it re-energizes you. That's what I'm excited for. But it's tough. It really is.''

Jackson said he made a pros and con sheet and it opened his eyes to what he needed to do.

"What really made my decision easier was that the same cons that I had now were the cons I had five years ago,'' he said. "So something had to change.''

He said it will be interesting to watch from afar and see who fills the leadership void. He trained the young players such as Joe Haden, T.J. Ward and Tashaun Gipson well.

"I hope they take care of T.J.,'' he said. "The leaders will come from guys like T.J and Joe Haden and Paul Kruger and Quentin Groves. Whoever separates himself as the leader, that's going to be interesting to watch.''

He said the toughest part for him is leaving all the guys he's become so close to.

"That's the part that's tough is leaving the guys,'' said Jackson. "I thought we had a good group last year. We finally have the guys in the locker room to take that next step. It's just when are we going to stick behind a coaching staff that can develop these guys? I've met with the new coaches, I've met with coach Pettine, and they seem like great people and they're on the right mission, so I wish them all the luck.''

Jackson, who played every snap but one last year, said it wasn't a matter of fitting into Pettine's new defense, a hybrid multi-front scheme.

"In eight years I've had five or six defensive coordinators and the benefit I've had is I've played in the majority of defenses teams are playing,'' he said. "And I've thrived in most of them so I don't think that's the case. I also have to take into account am I going to play a certain amount of snaps? Can I for the next three to five years with this amount of snaps on my body. You really have to take that into account.''

Jackson said he takes consolation in the fact the Browns can use some of his money to re-do the contracts of Haden, possibly Ward and others.

"That's the way I'm dealing with it,'' he said. "That those guys that worked extremely hard, now it's their turn to be able to stay around as long as I did and be around the community.''

Jackson also expressed his gratitude to Browns fans every where in a statement released by the team: "Eight years ago I began a journey that blessed me with the opportunity to be a part of a wonderful organization and community. I want to take this time to thank each and every one of you for opening your arms and hearts to my family and me, and for making Cleveland an easy place to love and call home. It’s been an honor playing in front of you.

“I also would like to thank the Browns players, coaches and staff for their tireless work and commitment. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all and will always carry you with me."

Farmer also said in a statement, "We had positive discussion with D’Qwell and his agent over the last several days, and we came to the mutual agreement to go in different directions. D’Qwell is the epitome of class, leadership and professionalism. Every day of his NFL career, D’Qwell has been a solid representative of the Browns and the City of Cleveland, both between the lines on Sundays and off the field in our area community. We want to thank him for his eight years of service and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”

Jackson, who's expected to hear from plenty of his former Browns coordinators, said he's eager to test the waters.

"It's going to be exciting to see who wants me and I've never been a free agent before,'' he said. "This is all new territory.''

And a new venture for the Browns without their trusted leader.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/02/former_cleveland_brown_lb_dqwe.html

What, you don't think Craig Robertson is a suitable replacement ;-)

It is what it is with DQ. We all like him. His money outweighed production and he probably couldn't come to terms on a re-negotiation. Just how the NFL works.

Can't keep an overpaid underproductive guy just because you like him. And we're in position to upgrade the position through FA and/or the draft.

Is there a guy in FA as good or better than DQ? I don't know....the only major LB'er talent I saw the last time I looked at the FA list was Orakpo, but he's an OLB so he isn't in the discussion. This is kind of why Ellerbe should have been a bigger priority for us last season than Kruger. And yeah, while there's some stud LB'ers in the draft....it's not gonna happen next season. The steelers are unarguably the best team in the NFL at developing the LB'er position...and it usually takes them 1-2 years to get them starting and another year or so to become one of the top LB'ing corps in the NFL. And that's the Steelers. They do it by keeping the vets around, it's not really hard science. Who's on our team now? Who are the vets at LB'er? Sheard? He was a converted DE. Kruger? pfffftttt

He's lost a step...get over it...He's not getting younger..I love DQ's heart. but theres a time to let go and move on.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/totalTackles

go look at that list....go down about 7 or so. How are you going to replace that? If that's losing a step so be it, we'll be lucky to have that production replaced in 2-3 years. <----best case scenario btw In all likelihood our LB'ing corp, by FA and/or draft, won't be up and running for a couple years. And by then some other hole will develop....I mean it's just endless bullshit here.

It was the big bonus due to DQ that did him in. Had he not had that, he may still have been here, mentoring younger....better players.

This organization for some reason just can't seem to grasp why there are teams like the Ravens and Steelers that are constantly on the upswing...how they are able to retool on the fly and even in down years they're still relevant in the NFL. DQ was our Ray Lewis. And I'm going to say that two years ago when the Ravens won the SB, Lewis had already lost quite a few steps over anything that DQ may have lost at this point. Ellerbe held up that LB'ing corp that year they beat the niners. Without Ellerbe covering for Ray they would not have been in the SB.

This organization for some reason just can't seem to grasp why there are teams like the Ravens and Steelers that are constantly on the upswing...how they are able to retool on the fly and even in down years they're still relevant in the NFL. DQ was our Ray Lewis. And I'm going to say that two years ago when the Ravens won the SB, Lewis had already lost quite a few steps over anything that DQ may have lost at this point. Ellerbe held up that LB'ing corp that year they beat the niners. Without Ellerbe covering for Ray they would not have been in the SB.

I am of the opinion that whatever the Browns do at MILB it will be an upgrade from what they had last year. The absolute weakest part of our defense was that middle LB corps. Whatever you thought of Skrine or Gipson or whomever, they did better than the DQJ/Robertson duo did.

And we lost games because of it.

Archived