THE BROWNS BOARD

DQ Jackson Released

Zombo

Here is a list of who are supposed to be the FA MILBs coming up.

What names, if any, would be an improvement over DQJ?

Inside Linebacker
Takeo Spikes
Bradie James
Jonathan Goff
Barrett Ruud
Larry Grant
Demorrio Williams (WLB in 4-3/ILB in 3-4)
Kirk Morrison
Tim Dobbins
Gary Guyton
Zac Diles
Niko Koutouvides
Mike Peterson (SLB)
Tim Shaw
Brandon Siler
Tavares Gooden
A.J. Edds
Brendon Ayanbadejo
Ricky Brown
Keyaron Fox
Travis Goethel
Tyrone McKenzie
Leon Williams
Kenny Onatolu (OLB in 4-3)
Brandon Johnson
Doug Hogue (OLB in 4-3)
Ryan Rau
Phillip Dillard
Greg Lloyd

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleveland didn't honor it's contract with Jackson.

We always complain about players holding out or whatever for the money that they feel are owed. But this is something different. DQ has done everything asked of him. He's a positive locker room influence and did community work as well as humanitarian work. If anybody DESERVED his roster bonus it would be DQ. I'm very disappointed that OUR BROWNS kinda did DQ dirty. There is no way even close that we run out of our cap room this season, and next season he'd be in for his contract year. Now we have dead money on the books and for another 3 mil we could have DQ. This is a bad PR move AND a bad team decision. period. Shame on the Browns.

It's not like DQ is demanding MORE money. He just wanted what he was promised. So what if the previous regime is the one who promised him this. The new regime is more than happy to spend the extra picks here or there but to cut loose a TEAM CAPTAIN because you owe him a bonus, before you even personally get to see him interact with your actual locker room environment... that's pure short sidedness.

...we are not a good team.

... Because we overpaid solid players instead of playmakers.

Unless., of course, you want to stay bad.

Maybe you can form your own barnstorming All Star team of Colt, Trich, Cribbs and DQ.

Z

...we should keep going with that though. Add K2, Braylon Edwards, Lawrence Vickers... Hold up, yeah let's do that. Match my team against the current Browns team and I'll let you decide which you'd take. I get Lee Bodden and Jurivicious too.

We always complain about players holding out or whatever for the money that they feel are owed. But this is something different. DQ has done everything asked of him. He's a positive locker room influence and did community work as well as humanitarian work. If anybody DESERVED his roster bonus it would be DQ. I'm very disappointed that OUR BROWNS kinda did DQ dirty. There is no way even close that we run out of our cap room this season, and next season he'd be in for his contract year. Now we have dead money on the books and for another 3 mil we could have DQ. This is a bad PR move AND a bad team decision. period. Shame on the Browns.

It's not like DQ is demanding MORE money. He just wanted what he was promised. So what if the previous regime is the one who promised him this. The new regime is more than happy to spend the extra picks here or there but to cut loose a TEAM CAPTAIN because you owe him a bonus, before you even personally get to see him interact with your actual locker room environment... that's pure short sidedness.

He got paid two years in a row while on IR from pectoral tears, then we gave him a big contract extension when he didn't know if he'd play another game in the NFL...I wouldn't say we did him dirty, its a business. He understands that, and could've opted to stay, but he made a business decision for himself. Smart business on both sides. No hard feelings, wish him the best, as he wished us the best.

He's a team Captain and locked into a Contract for another 2 years.

It's not a business decision by him. The Browns are pretty much just saying, uh- we're not going to give you the roster bonus you were promised for staying healthy and doing your job well. We'd rather pay nobody 4 million in penalty hits than pay an extra 3 million for Dq to play middle linebacker. That's pretty much saying that Dq is worth even less than 3 million a year to this regime. If I was Dq I would have felt offended and probably dealt with the situation with way less class. He did it for the Fans and for Cleveland because he is a true Brown. He gave us his all every year though out all the coaching and front office changes. He's been the go-to guy for countless coaching staffs. He's a team Captain. The way this Organization handles it's players and the contracts. In regards of keeping players that the city and the team want and need here should outweigh somewhat the extra cost of his contract.

I for one would rather have Dq than Paul Kruger. Dq is worth more of my dollar when I go to see the Browns play. I know that I can expect Dq to work all week to get better and go home at night to sleep in his oxygen chamber, to do the right things, to be a leader in the locker room. Maybe Pettine didn't like the competition for leadership in the locker room with Dq. Maybe that's what's going on.

Where have you been on this issue? There have been hundreds and hundreds of people released in order to save money on roster bonuses. That IS PART of the CONTRACT! That bonus was NOT guaranteed unless he was on the roster on the particular day in question...and DQJ knew as much as anyone that he could be dumped in order for the team to save that bonus and the cap space that goes with it if the team did not believe him worth it. And they didn't. And that is no surprise to anyone. If he is surprised then he is stupid. And you are stupid to not think that it was likely to happen.

That;s the key: he was NOT fucking locked in. Essentially he was under an option: If the team agreed to keep him on the roster he would receive that money. The team opted not to keep him on the roster or pay the bonus.

It's not a business decision by him. The Browns are pretty much just saying, uh- we're not going to give you the roster bonus you were promised for staying healthy and doing your job well.

Yea, IF he was healthy and IF he was doing his job well then they had the option to keep him IF they wanted to. He may have been healthy...but he was NOT playing well enough to be paid the option. NOTHING was guaranteed to him.

We'd rather pay nobody 4 million in penalty hits than pay an extra 3 million for Dq to play middle linebacker.

Actually, it is my understanding that the team SAVES about 5 million on the cap by letting him go. There is no penalty.

That's pretty much saying that Dq is worth even less than 3 million a year to this regime.

That is absolutely correct...and I basically agree with them.

If I was Dq I would have felt offended and probably dealt with the situation with way less class. He did it for the Fans and for Cleveland because he is a true Brown. He gave us his all every year though out all the coaching and front office changes.

He acted the way he acted because whether or not you knew the situation HE did. He basically fully expected to get cut and he knew that whining and crying about it like you are would only make him look like an ass ..or would make his agent look like an ass who fully explained the probability of him getting axed.

He's been the go-to guy for countless coaching staffs. He's a team Captain. The way this Organization handles it's players and the contracts. In regards of keeping players that the city and the team want and need here should outweigh somewhat the extra cost of his contract.

I for one would rather have Dq than Paul Kruger. Dq is worth more of my dollar when I go to see the Browns play. I know that I can expect Dq to work all week to get better and go home at night to sleep in his oxygen chamber, to do the right things, to be a leader in the locker room. Maybe Pettine didn't like the competition for leadership in the locker room with Dq. Maybe that's what's going on.

Well, we already know that your opinion on player evaluations ain't for shit.....so, whatever you would like to do....I would almost always be hopeful that the Browns do the opposite.

Free agent ILB D'Qwell Jackson will visit the Titans this weekend before visiting the Broncos on Monday.

Tennessee and Jackson's former DC Ray Horton get the first shot at signing him. Jackson is reportedly drawing interest from at least five teams, with Minnesota joining Tennessee and Denver. Players often sign with the first team they visit, but the price is going to have to be right. Jackson likely isn't interested in discounts heading into his age-31 season.

Related: Titans, Broncos

Oh, it's like that Gipper? Fuck you too then. I guess we wouldn't see eye to eye though, you're a judge, I'm a G.

Reading DQs statements, I don't think he wanted to stay all that badly. This is the Dawson situation all over again, fans are pissed a popular player wasn't resigned and blame the FO for it, but there are 2 sides to every negotiation and Dawson said he wanted a place with more stability and I'm sure he wants to go somewhere where he can experience some winning. He's already lined up 5 interviews and I'm sure the ball was already rolling on those. My money is he ends up in Denver. In fact, I bet Denver lands as many of the top defensive free agents there cap space can handle.

Is there a guy in FA as good or better than DQ? I don't know....the only major LB'er talent I saw the last time I looked at the FA list was Orakpo, but he's an OLB so he isn't in the discussion. This is kind of why Ellerbe should have been a bigger priority for us last season than Kruger. And yeah, while there's some stud LB'ers in the draft....it's not gonna happen next season. The steelers are unarguably the best team in the NFL at developing the LB'er position...and it usually takes them 1-2 years to get them starting and another year or so to become one of the top LB'ing corps in the NFL. And that's the Steelers. They do it by keeping the vets around, it's not really hard science. Who's on our team now? Who are the vets at LB'er? Sheard? He was a converted DE. Kruger? pfffftttt

that's why drafting mack (if he isn't already gone) makes sense. mayock says he is the best defensive player in the draft. yes over clowney. hell by the beginning of may he might be considered the #1 pick. things are going to change in all these so-called expert mocks 3 or 4 times before then.

DQ was voted to exactly zero pro bowls. He was a solid player on an otherwise less than solid defense. He made plenty of tackles, many of which were 10 yards downfield.

He's a great guy and a great leader and he shares my birthday, but he's not that good. The fact that you admitted there are 7 FA LB's better than him this year should be proof enough to you.

Get over it, POG. He's gone.

PG, Jackson is a smart guy- he knew damn well beyond the guarantees, he was guaranteed nothing.

He got paid two years in a row while on IR from pectoral tears, then we gave him a big contract extension when he didn't know if he'd play another game in the NFL...I wouldn't say we did him dirty, its a business. He understands that, and could've opted to stay, but he made a business decision for himself. Smart business on both sides. No hard feelings, wish him the best, as he wished us the best.

Exactly- should the Browns have asked for their money back whan he couldn't play for the better part of two years?

It's not a business decision by him. The Browns are pretty much just saying, uh- we're not going to give you the roster bonus you were promised for staying healthy and doing your job well. We'd rather pay nobody 4 million in penalty hits than pay an extra 3 million for Dq to play middle linebacker. That's pretty much saying that Dq is worth even less than 3 million a year to this regime. If I was Dq I would have felt offended and probably dealt with the situation with way less class. He did it for the Fans and for Cleveland because he is a true Brown. He gave us his all every year though out all the coaching and front office changes. He's been the go-to guy for countless coaching staffs. He's a team Captain. The way this Organization handles it's players and the contracts. In regards of keeping players that the city and the team want and need here should outweigh somewhat the extra cost of his contract.

Not the case PG. Read between the lines. Looks like DQ wanted the roster bonus and a multi year extension. Even with restructuring, that roster bonus and vet minimum works out to around $5 million this year. DQ felt he was worth it, the Browns decided not- it's free market, so stay tuned as to how much he gets with his next team. Uh- take a look at the Steelers- they didn't stay on top by being all sentimental over fan favorites- they let Mike Wallace walk because he was asking too much.

I mean, hell's bells this happens on a routine basis so often in the NFL, its plain silly. Those player contracts are back loaded with boatloads of non-guaranteed money. The team has the option of paying it- or not. The player has the option of signing the contract- or not. Sounds fair to me. It's an entirely different universe than MLB, where a guy can be out of baseball for years and still collecting on a guaranteed contract. A-Roid is suspended (supposedly you don't get any money when you're on a drug suspension) but he still gets around $2.5 million because of a technicality- sitting on his ass all year doing PEDs

DQ was voted to exactly zero pro bowls. He was a solid player on an otherwise less than solid defense. He made plenty of tackles, many of which were 10 yards downfield.

He's a great guy and a great leader and he shares my birthday, but he's not that good. The fact that you admitted there are 7 FA LB's better than him this year should be proof enough to you.

Yes, Browns all time linebackers- put him on the Eddie Johnson and Bob Babich level.

I am of the opinion that whatever the Browns do at MILB it will be an upgrade from what they had last year. The absolute weakest part of our defense was that middle LB corps. Whatever you thought of Skrine or Gipson or whomever, they did better than the DQJ/Robertson duo did.

And we lost games because of it.

dq was 7th in tackles in the NFL. There are alot of big names behind him. I'm sorry but the reality just doesn't support your argument. Dq was doing both ILB jobs and still managed to have by all accounts a pretty good year.

who are those 7 FA lb'ers better than him? <confused>

In any case, my final word on this subject is have someone on your fucking roster to take his place before you cut someone like him. All of you that apparently were watching alternate universe Browns games, and who's to say those were less real..really who's to say....can't argue the fact that we currently are looking at starting Robertson and possibly a noob at our ILB positions next year. If any of you are holding on to some kind of fantasy that next year is gonna be the year the Browns break .500...seriously, curb your enthusiasm. It's not going to happen. It's looking like more and more of a major rebuild with every passing week. By letting DQ go we just blew up our defense, I'm sorry if some of you don't get that. It doesn't matter if he wasn't one of the all time 5 best lb'ers to ever play the game. He was the best we had and would have been the guy to mentor any noob we might be drafting. Jesus fuck next year would have been his last year...give him his fucking 4m. We're giving Paul Kruger 8m to stand up offensive lineman at the point of attack...really, that's all he was good for. Yet we can't give our leading tackler and team captain 7m? The guy who could have been the foundation for future Lb'ers in Cleveland? If we had brought in Ellerbe last year...I'd be ok with this. I'm preparing myself already for a 3 win season next year.

Great analysis doughboy. Just because the guy plays the same position as ray Lewis and junior seau for the majority of his career doesn't make him a scrub. Anyone can paraphrase MKC about the tackles down field all they want.

Football jokers aside tho. This is nothing more than progression for the Browns and a chance for DQ to get on a winning team. Brown's may be coming around but by the time they learn how to win deep in the playoffs he will be a shell of his former self.

The Browns need to be looking draft for MLB. One more in FA for depth wouldn't hurt either.

to all those that don't think i know what i'm talking about...............called it a day before they cut him.

now what??

clowney said today he wishes that atlanta could find a way to trade up and draft him. now he wants to choose teams?

i know i was on his jock for a while but i gotta agree with cal. mack is projected as the best LB and DQ ain't no spring chicken.

Oh, it's like that Gipper? Fuck you too then. I guess we wouldn't see eye to eye though, you're a judge, I'm a G.

See, it is not a matter of having a different opinion...it is a matter of facts.....and yes, as a judge it is my job to discern facts.

You are factually wrong if it is your position, as it seems, that the Browns "owed" something to DQ that they reneged on.

It is like having a long term lease with an option. You rent a location for a term of X years at Z dollars, and there is a mutual option to renew that lease for Y years at Q dollars. And that option had to be decided on by a certain date or else it would be accepted.

All the Browns did was to timely decline the option to extend their lease on DQJ.

By the way, what is a "G"?

dq was 7th in tackles in the NFL. There are alot of big names behind him. I'm sorry but the reality just doesn't support your argument. Dq was doing both ILB jobs and still managed to have by all accounts a pretty good year.

OK, sure...he had a pretty good year, by DQJ standards. And he made a lot of tackles...as noted usually far downfield.

He was not an impact MLB.

He was basically Tom Cousineau redux.

He was usually out of place and outmuscled.

Are there worse out there? Sure. Are there better? Farmer and Pettine obviously think so.

In any case, my final word on this subject is have someone on your fucking roster to take his place before you cut someone like him. All of you that apparently were watching alternate universe Browns games, and who's to say those were less real..really who's to say....can't argue the fact that we currently are looking at starting Robertson and possibly a noob at our ILB positions next year. If any of you are holding on to some kind of fantasy that next year is gonna be the year the Browns break .500...seriously, curb your enthusiasm. It's not going to happen. It's looking like more and more of a major rebuild with every passing week. By letting DQ go we just blew up our defense, I'm sorry if some of you don't get that. It doesn't matter if he wasn't one of the all time 5 best lb'ers to ever play the game. He was the best we had and would have been the guy to mentor any noob we might be drafting. Jesus fuck next year would have been his last year...give him his fucking 4m. We're giving Paul Kruger 8m to stand up offensive lineman at the point of attack...really, that's all he was good for. Yet we can't give our leading tackler and team captain 7m? The guy who could have been the foundation for future Lb'ers in Cleveland? If we had brought in Ellerbe last year...I'd be ok with this. I'm preparing myself already for a 3 win season next year.

I don't think it is a major rebuild. I think the DL is pretty solid. The OLBs are capable. If they keep Ward, clearly that position is well handled. Haden obviously. Gipson seems solid. Skrine is viable...but sure maybe some upgrade can be made in the defensive backfield.

Yes, the one position that is now weakest is MLB. And obviously that will be addressed. My prediction: 1 FA signing, one Draftee.

Archived