THE BROWNS BOARD

Mack stays with Browns

darren15

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best part of this is the speed with which the Browns matched the offer sheet. No matter what we Fans have to say, there was no 5 days of bullshit, these guys know what they want & they DO IT! They are DECISIVE. No farting around, thinking about & second guessing.

This new FO GETS it!!! You have to love how quickly they act on their decisions. THAT'S being confident & that makes me, as a Fan, more confident and excited for what's ahead.

Mike

It's nice to know who our center will be for the next 2 years, and it's even nicer to know that he is among the elite at his position.

yeah we know he is one of the best centers in the league, but if the browns didn't match and he had gone on to say "thank god the browns didn't match," you'd be calling him a scumbag right now.

it was a biz move. got it. still has me wondering his commitment to cleveland.

put it this way, i'm not running out to buy an alex mack jersey anytime soon.

yeah we know he is one of the best centers in the league, but if the browns didn't match and he had gone on to say "thank god the browns didn't match," you'd be calling him a scumbag right now.

Yep! I'm very pleased with how decisive this FO is, but I also plan to "wait & see" what Mack's commitment to the Browns may be. As far as I'm concerned, he's a 2 year rental until we get his replacement. I still don't think he wants to be here. Maybe he'll prove me wrong but we'll see.

Mike

And saving money over the next 2 yrs. This situation was handled textbook.

I don't know if that's "saving money". The Browns would have saved a ton of it, had they let Mack walk. They get to keep one of the premier centers in the NFL. He's now also the highest paid center in the NFL- by plenty- he had better earn his paychecks.

Mik, somehow I get the feeling Pettine or Farmer called Mack and said "we're almost certainly going to match the Jags offer, you OK with that, or you going to sulk?" Mack should be thrilled about the bucks he's going to be hauling in over the next two years regardless where he's playing- enough to buy a nice retirement oceanfront house in Monterrey.

Yea, no doubt. Hopefully he has the right internal motor to want to excel on the field, even if that field is somewhere he doesn't want to be. Also, maybe the new feel around the organization will be a breath of fresh air for him................ Time will tell.

Yea, no doubt. Hopefully he has the right internal motor to want to excel on the field, even if that field is somewhere he doesn't want to be. Also, maybe the new feel around the organization will be a breath of fresh air for him................ Time will tell.

Winning, the wonder cure! That's all we need to do change his attitude.

well he probably feels great when he turns left lining up to snap the ball and when he turns right and looks at that side of the line, wants to puke.

hopefully within these discussions and him being the highest paid center he chirped in farmer's ear that it might be nice to get some help on the right side.

I don't know if that's "saving money". The Browns would have saved a ton of it, had they let Mack walk. They get to keep one of the premier centers in the NFL. He's now also the highest paid center in the NFL- by plenty- he had better earn his paychecks.

Mik, somehow I get the feeling Pettine or Farmer called Mack and said "we're almost certainly going to match the Jags offer, you OK with that, or you going to sulk?" Mack should be thrilled about the bucks he's going to be hauling in over the next two years regardless where he's playing- enough to buy a nice retirement oceanfront house in Monterrey.

They saved money in the sense that they were prepared to pay him 10 million this year and 12 million next year through tags and now they are only going to be paying him 18 million total over that span of time.

Hasn't he had that motor every year he has been in the NFL? This is the same guy who has played every snap at center since he was drafted, regardless of injury or sickness.

well he probably feels great when he turns left lining up to snap the ball and when he turns right and looks at that side of the line, wants to puke.

hopefully within these discussions and him being the highest paid center he chirped in farmer's ear that it might be nice to get some help on the right side.

Got a solution for ya. Su'a Filo @ #26 or #35. top rated OG.

Hasn't he had that motor every year he has been in the NFL? This is the same guy who has played every snap at center since he was drafted, regardless of injury or sickness.

He also hasn't hit the payday jackpot before, or admitted to not wanting to be in Cleveland.

I've yet to see him say that he doesn't want to be in Cleveland.

Exactly. The guy apparentl enjoys his private life and doesn't live and die football. Its a means to an end.

He has a gift and I've never heard anyone say that he was a quitter or lazy.

So we are paying an awful lot of money for an extremely good center. Fair enough.

I always prefer guys who really really want to be Cleveland Browns above all else but that's not the case with most.

And unfortunately some of the ones who do arent really all that good.

WSS

Hey I'm just happy to see we didn't really lose any top talent. We slightly upgraded our defense, upgraded WR, etc. Not a bad FA period really. Could use a successful draft.

yeah i agree with woodrow. we kinda just filled the holes of browns' players that left.

adding a old vet and another slot receiver is not an upgrade at WR but more a 'fill the roster' move.

we'll see who's still standing after the draft, after the training camp and pre-season to find out if any of those signings were worthwhile.

i heard many reports that he doesn't like in it cleveland, not as a franchise, but as a 'place' to play.

and who knows (hinting ar dbone's post) what happens now that he is the highest paid center. does he lay down knowing his future is set or does he still play balls out?

We didn't get worse talent wise on paper.

on D no, even though ward was younger. i do like both the LB and S signings. i think whitner will play above what ward was doing but we'll have to be looking at drafting another S in the near future, if not this year as well as another LB.

hawkins was a necessity at slot to play aside benjamin and cooper (if he makes the cut). burrelson was more a mentoring move as i believe he'll be retiring in 1 or 2 years.

tate was prob the best signing but that all depends on if he can stay healthy.

back to mack: hey the browns got to make history (recent) for something. we just made mack the highest paid center ever. i guess someone had to do it, as linemen are starting to get their due.

He has said publicly that he is happy and excited now after the contract mess is over. This was purely a money thing in my opinion, don't think he cared so much where he would actually play. It's a business and he got what he wanted.

Well, you have The Schwartz over there who is a fellow Cal alum. But, yes, getting a right guard would be a bonus: How about getting a guy from Cal's rival Stanford: David Yankey....at #26...and make Ghoolie crazy.

i heard many reports that he doesn't like in it cleveland, not as a franchise, but as a 'place' to play.

and who knows (hinting ar dbone's post) what happens now that he is the highest paid center. does he lay down knowing his future is set or does he still play balls out?

I think it is probably the opposite.....Cleveland is a great place to play football....but the way the franchise has been run since he has been here is what I would think he would be upset about. He is now on his 4th HC in just the 5-6 years he has been here. I think the OL coach he liked is also gone. And the losing. No one is happy about that.

I think it is probably the opposite.....Cleveland is a great place to play football....but the way the franchise has been run since he has been here is what I would think he would be upset about. He is now on his 4th HC in just the 5-6 years he has been here. I think the OL coach he liked is also gone. And the losing. No one is happy about that.

Cleveland is not a great place to play football.

No place in the north is.

When given the option, nearly everyone would rather play in the south. If you say otherwise, you're lying.

Cleveland is not a great place to play football.

No place in the north is.

When given the option, nearly everyone would rather play in the south. If you say otherwise, you're lying.

more the west coast. nobody likes the south. i'd rather play in friggin minnesota than the south.

i heard the people down there really suck.

more the west coast. nobody likes the south. i'd rather play in friggin minnesota than the south.

i heard the people down there really suck.

I'm talking for climate purposes. Any time you can play a week 17 game at home and it's only like 60 degrees, from a players standpoint, that's perfect.

The people in Charlotte aren't so bad. Other places...yikes.

No players actually enjoy playing in sub freezing temperatures, no matter what they say. That's why the Pro Bowl is in Hawaii and not Canton.

i was bustin balls.

no doubt it'd be better to play somewhere where the climate is nice all year round, like san diego.

BUT some of the most memorable games have been played in the worse conditions. i'm sure the players of those games didn't like it at the time, but for them to have been there and overcome the weather.........kinda like proving your manhood.

Archived