THE BROWNS BOARD

Mack stays with Browns

darren15

I'm talking for climate purposes. Any time you can play a week 17 game at home and it's only like 60 degrees, from a players standpoint, that's perfect.

The people in Charlotte aren't so bad. Other places...yikes.

No players actually enjoy playing in sub freezing temperatures, no matter what they say. That's why the Pro Bowl is in Hawaii and not Canton.

What's this "Pro Bowl" thing you speak of?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleveland is not a great place to play football.

No place in the north is.

When given the option, nearly everyone would rather play in the south. If you say otherwise, you're lying.

Dumbest thing I have yet heard you say. I am certain you say this only to stir up hornets.

I'm talking for climate purposes. Any time you can play a week 17 game at home and it's only like 60 degrees, from a players standpoint, that's perfect.

The people in Charlotte aren't so bad. Other places...yikes.

No players actually enjoy playing in sub freezing temperatures, no matter what they say. That's why the Pro Bowl is in Hawaii and not Canton.

The Pro Bowl is not a real game. Just a game to let the players go out and lay around the beach.

I also think that a vast majority of players would rather play a game in the 20s than in the 90s. They sure the fuck don't want to play weeks 1-4 in Tampa/Miami etc.

There is reason they have as many or more domes in the south...in N.O, Houston, Ariz., ATL etc. It is too goddamn hot to play there.

Sure, games approaching zero in temp are rough on everyone....but probably no less so than those games in the high 80s/90s.

post-18759-0-08085000-1397430940_thumb.gif

The Pro Bowl is not a real game. Just a game to let the players go out and lay around the beach.

I also think that a vast majority of players would rather play a game in the 20s than in the 90s. They sure the fuck don't want to play weeks 1-4 in Tampa/Miami etc.

There is reason they have as many or more domes in the south...in N.O, Houston, Ariz., ATL etc. It is too goddamn hot to play there.

Sure, games approaching zero in temp are rough on everyone....but probably no less so than those games in the high 80s/90s.

By the way, correct me if I am wrong, but in the future, aren't they playing the Pro Bowl in like the stadium that the Super Bowl is to be played in.

I know that the game next year will be held in Glendale AZ, NOT in Hawaii. But apparently it will be held in Hawaii again the following year.

In the future they may end up having cities big on holding the Pro Bowl, just like they do the SB. But, perhaps, unlike the Super Bowl, they may not limit the city choice to just those places with an NFL team.

In that case a city like LA, obviously could host a Pro Bowl.

Yes, they would probably choose warmer weather cities. But how about a San Antonio, or a Tuscon, or Birmingham, college towns. Or Mexico.

Knowing the NFL's infatuation with international expansion, maybe they could go to Rio or Capetown, Australia etc.

By the way, correct me if I am wrong, but in the future, aren't they playing the Pro Bowl in like the stadium that the Super Bowl is to be played in.

I know that the game next year will be held in Glendale AZ, NOT in Hawaii. But apparently it will be held in Hawaii again the following year.

In the future they may end up having cities big on holding the Pro Bowl, just like they do the SB. But, perhaps, unlike the Super Bowl, they may not limit the city choice to just those places with an NFL team.

In that case a city like LA, obviously could host a Pro Bowl.

Yes, they would probably choose warmer weather cities. But how about a San Antonio, or a Tuscon, or Birmingham, college towns. Or Mexico.

Knowing the NFL's infatuation with international expansion, maybe they could go to Rio or Capetown, Australia etc.

It's to be played in Arozona this year, then return to Hawaii.

Keep thinking most players would rather play in freezing cold weather. That's hilarious.

It's to be played in Arozona this year, then return to Hawaii.

Keep thinking most players would rather play in freezing cold weather. That's hilarious.

Yes, players would rather play in cold, weather than in hot sweltering weather. Sure, playing in weather that is the 50s or 60s is fine....but for you to tell me that football players are such big pussies as to not handle a little cold weather would be very enlightening to me.

Maybe they would like to put on some footies, and have their Mommies serve them some hot cocoa at halftime.

Yes, players would rather play in cold, weather than in hot sweltering weather. Sure, playing in weather that is the 50s or 60s is fine....but for you to tell me that football players are such big pussies as to not handle a little cold weather would be very enlightening to me.

Maybe they would like to put on some footies, and have their Mommies serve them some hot cocoa at halftime.

I couldn't disagree with you more as well and you're just being stubborn. It's pretty much common sense, when you deal with cold and snow it doesn't only suck from a comfort side. The ball turns into a slippery brick out there where in places like San Diego or Miami the worst you're dealing with is rain. How can you not see that?

I couldn't disagree with you more as well and you're just being stubborn. It's pretty much common sense, when you deal with cold and snow it doesn't only suck from a comfort side. The ball turns into a slippery brick out there where in places like San Diego or Miami the worst you're dealing with is rain. How can you not see that?

I am not being stubborn, I am being accurate....because you and I are not comparing the same thing.

Sure, it is nicer to play on a 60 degree day than a 20 degree day.....but it is NOT nicer for guys trussed up in pads etc. to be out there on 80-90 degree and humid than to be out there on a 20 degree day.

And it is a lot more dangerous. No one is going to get heat stroke on a 20 degree day.

I mean, you are really coming off as a southern woos.

Playing football in the snow is about as cool as it gets....and many players would tell you that.

I am not being stubborn, I am being accurate....because you and I are not comparing the same thing.

Sure, it is nicer to play on a 60 degree day than a 20 degree day.....but it is NOT nicer for guys trussed up in pads etc. to be out there on 80-90 degree and humid than to be out there on a 20 degree day.

And it is a lot more dangerous. No one is going to get heat stroke on a 20 degree day.

I mean, you are really coming off as a southern woos.

Playing football in the snow is about as cool as it gets....and many players would tell you that.

Have you ever hit a person in 20 degree weather?

Have you ever even worn pads?

I hate to pull this card, but from experience it is much nicer to play in warmer weather than colder weather. Today's pads are equipped with air conditioning and cooling systems. Playing football in the snow once is cool. Everybody wants to do it. But that's it.

Like I said before, there's a reason why the Pro Bowl is played in Hawaii. Players CHOSE Hawaii. They didn't CHOOSE Canton.

You're coming off as a stubborn and ill-informed homer, and that's all this is.

I hate to pull this card, but from experience it is much nicer to play in warmer weather than colder weather. Today's pads are equipped with air conditioning and cooling systems. Playing football in the snow once is cool. Everybody wants to do it. But that's it.

Like I said before, there's a reason why the Pro Bowl is played in Hawaii. Players CHOSE Hawaii. They didn't CHOOSE Canton.

OK, and you are coming off as a Southern Pussy who can't handle a little cold.!

(the players chose to take a vacation and play in the nice mild temps of Hawaii in Winter....not in 80-s-90s and humid, or in 20s.)

OK, and you are coming off as a Southern Pussy who can't handle a little cold.!

(the players chose to take a vacation and play in the nice mild temps of Hawaii in Winter....not in 80-s-90s and humid, or in 20s.)

There's a reason nobody retires and moves up north.

When do you think the NFL season occurs? In fall and winter. Not summer. It's rare for a 90 degree game. It's not rare for a 30 degree game. And, as I've said before, players don't want to play in that. This is coming from the point of view of someone who played the game for a long time at three different levels in the South and the North.

Not from the point of view of a retired judge who's never played the game nor has he ever lived outside of the greater Cleveland area.

For the record, a majority of my teammates were from the North. None of them liked playing in the cold.

yeah. i was i the german forest for six months a clip every year for three years during winter. dreaded that shit.

but now it's a proud memory.

who gets more props, the guy that won and played under difficult conditions or the guy who played in perfect conditions?

these guys are lucky enough to make it to the nfl and get paid very well for doing so. they should feel grateful someone called them on draft day.

Hawaii isn't hot and humid. it's warmest average temp is around 85-- in the dry, non humid season. It's a little more humid during the cooler season when the average temp is in the 70's. But it's still not really humid. It's pretty much comfortable year round.

What does Hawaii have to do with the selweltering south of the USA?

Playing the Super Bowl in early Feb outside in New fuckiin Jersey was an outrage. Play the game in the warmer weather. The players prefer it and the fans (especially we folk up north) enjoy watching everyone enjoy themselves in shirtsleeves. Miami, Pasadena, Phoenix and Texas are the best sites for the ultimate football game.

who cares about the pro bowl anyhow?

actually, there are quite a number who do. You just wouldn't be aware of it.

When do you think the NFL season occurs? In fall and winter. Not summer. It's rare for a 90 degree game. It's not rare for a 30 degree game.

Right. Football is meant to be played in 30 degree weather, not 90 degree weather.

And, as I've said before, players don't want to play in that.

Only players who are pussies from the south....apparently you must know a whole squad of them. Up here we call guys that play football in the snow, mud, rain "men".

This is coming from the point of view of someone who played the game for a long time at three different levels in the South and the North.

Not from the point of view of a retired judge who's never played the game nor has he ever lived outside of the greater Cleveland area.

First off, I am by no means retired. (I am a magistrate...part time. My full time job is as an attorney. I am retired from neither).

And yes, I played baseball and basketball in HS, not football.....organized.

But I played plenty of backyard football...in mud and snow.

Besides...I have lived outside the greater Cleveland area...for a bit. In Ft. Lauderdale for a while....in "football season"....August/Sept.

And no one there ever wanted to go outside to play anything....because it was too fucking hot.

For the record, a majority of my teammates were from the North. None of them liked playing in the cold.

Your pussification must have been infectious.

Again, I repeat...yes, people would rather play/watch football in mild 50/60/70 degree weather....but I believe more people would be tolerable to play football in 40/30/20/10 degree weather than in 80/90/100 degree weather.

Playing the Super Bowl in early Feb outside in New fuckiin Jersey was an outrage. Play the game in the warmer weather. The players prefer it and the fans (especially we folk up north) enjoy watching everyone enjoy themselves in shirtsleeves. Miami, Pasadena, Phoenix and Texas are the best sites for the ultimate football game.

Yes, optimally you would want to play that big game in the mild weather (but you would no more want to play it in 80-90 humid conditions than is freezing conditions.

And frankly, I don't think the player would care if it were cold....but so much of that SB is for the fans, for the corporations, for the partying, for all the extraneous stuff going on, not just for the game itself....and yes, I would rather do that in mild weather. Miami or Phoenix in January is fine.

I think my idea is good. Play that game internationally. It doesn't count for anything so it doesn't matter how well it is played....but if the NFL was to be international, play that game in Mexico, Rio, Capetown, Madrid, Rome, Tokyo, Manilla, Buenos Aires whereever.

An exhibition game with most of the really big stars of the game going to those places would be the kind of publicity the NFL wants.

When do you think the NFL season occurs? In fall and winter. Not summer. It's rare for a 90 degree game. It's not rare for a 30 degree game. And, as I've said before, players don't want to play in that. This is coming from the point of view of someone who played the game for a long time at three different levels in the South and the North.

Rare for a 90 degree game? Not in Florida in September- or even October. Ah yes TC- I remember it well. Browns- Tampa Bay @ Raymond James. October 13, 2002. (Actually had to look up the date)- but it was the damn hottest football game I've ever been at- on field temp- 105, I was just sitting in the stands having a few cold ones, and sweat was pouring off my body.

Just to be scientific, I looked it up the average high in Tampa in September is 89.

I agree warm is better than 10 degrees, but unless you're tossing ice water on players, 90 degrees with 90% humidity is a recipe for heat stroke.

Rare for a 90 degree game? Not in Florida in September- or even October. Ah yes TC- I remember it well. Browns- Tampa Bay @ Raymond James. October 13, 2002. (Actually had to look up the date)- but it was the damn hottest football game I've ever been at- on field temp- 105, I was just sitting in the stands having a few cold ones, and sweat was pouring off my body.

Just to be scientific, I looked it up the average high in Tampa in September is 89.

I agree warm is better than 10 degrees, but unless you're tossing ice water on players, 90 degrees with 90% humidity is a recipe for heat stroke.

Right. And you remember that because it was an anomaly. I've been to early season games in Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Miami, I've experienced one game where I was sweating my ass off and the rest where the weather was damn near perfect. I've also been to games in Baltimore and Pittsburgh, and one was cold as fuck while the other was in Pittsburgh.

As for Gip's "pussy" and "gay" comments...you're an old man who has repeatedly admitted to not playing football. A dickless punter is still twelve times the man you are. Can it with the "pussy" talk already.

This notion of "real men play in the cold" is about as antiquated as "a woman's rightful place is in the kitchen" or "children are to be seen and not heard". It's something a bunch of sackless, overweight, chauvinistic, racist old white men came up with while wearing cotton gym shorts and spraying their front yards with a hose.

That's cool that you looked that up, and I agree Tampa is hot as shit in September. That's also 3-4 games per year. What about the other 12-13?

A two year old found a backdoor hack into Xbox Live, which could have caused everyone with their CC information on Xbox Live to lose their identities.

A fucking two year old.

haha it was a 5 year old but still pretty crazy, but so simple how he did it.

Right. And you remember that because it was an anomaly. I've been to early season games in Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Miami, I've experienced one game where I was sweating my ass off and the rest where the weather was damn near perfect. I've also been to games in Baltimore and Pittsburgh, and one was cold as fuck while the other was in Pittsburgh.

As for Gip's "pussy" and "gay" comments...you're an old man who has repeatedly admitted to not playing football. A dickless punter is still twelve times the man you are. Can it with the "pussy" talk already.

This notion of "real men play in the cold" is about as antiquated as "a woman's rightful place is in the kitchen" or "children are to be seen and not heard". It's something a bunch of sackless, overweight, chauvinistic, racist old white men came up with while wearing cotton gym shorts and spraying their front yards with a hose.

That's cool that you looked that up, and I agree Tampa is hot as shit in September. That's also 3-4 games per year. What about the other 12-13?

TC- it depends on where you live and how you view things. Couple of personal observations

Southerners that live in constant high heat adapt to it, and don't tolerate cold very well. Was down in the Keys one January for the Winter Star Party- about 2AM, gee, it's getting a little cool, should probably put on a sweater. Some guys from Miami had their parkas on. And to be fair, a lot of us Northerners don't tolerate heat well. I've always said the first thing I'd do if I ever hit the lottery is buy a condo in Anchorage.

Well yeah, I'm crazy on the other end. I feel more for the players than I do for myself. If you check my tag line I do mountaineering and ride a bicycle year round. That means knowing how to properly dress for conditions- and football players aren't. My cutoff temp on the bike is 20 degrees, that's zero wind chill- the same as it was for the NHL Winter Classic this year. No problem. In my younger years I've gone for an overnight camp out when it was -5 just to see if they were lying about my -20 sleeping bag (they weren't). Now if you want to talk extreme cold- remember the Bengals- Chargers Freezer Bowl playoff game? I was out skiing at Snowshoe that day- and there was no way I was going to forfeit a pre-paid lift ticket. (couple of the other guys decided likewise). Oh, the actual air temperature was -29, and with a howling blizzard, the wind chill was -72. LOL, they would have called off a football game in those conditions- some of us got frostbite later on pulling batteries out of the cars to warm them up enough to crank the engines.

But getting back to the "real men play in the cold" deal- the Browns 1964 Championship game was played December 27th. Due to corporate greed the Broncos played their Championship game (never mind the Super Bowl) January 19th. If then was now, you'd be having the Super Bowl in a ton of cold weather cities- in February. Not to be outdone MLB is even worse. I will agree baseball is strictly a warm weather sport. Extending the season on both ends- and watching guys try to play ball in the snow is a joke.

This is as far as the argument needs to go.

I played baseball and basketball in HS, not football.....organized.

:confirmation:

I've always said the first thing I'd do if I ever hit the lottery is buy a condo in Anchorage.

I worked in Anchorage last summer and talked to a lot of people from the midwest. They said that the Anchorage winters weren't as bad due to the low humidity. Anchorage is right on the water and they had a more mild winter than Northeast Ohio. You wanna talk cold move inland a bit: Fairbanks Alaska, that's fucking cold.

Archived