THE BROWNS BOARD

Justin Gilbert

Flyin J

wrong.

after the top 3-4 prospects, the CBs fall off to 3rd round talent unlike WRs. everyone says this year's draft was/is so deep. yeah at WR. other than that tell me what position and what 'great' talent there is after the top 5 in any category.

I'd only argue there's a much bigger difference between the talent level of the rest of WR And Watkins. Where the is much less a difference between Gilbert and the rest of the CBs. But hey, we got a an extra #1 next year!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Haden will be moved to #2 in the next two years.

Given Haden aging and Gilbert developing I can see this...

This draft is no where nearly as deep at CB as it is at WR. (Quality) starting CB are pretty much gone at this point, there are still 4-5 good WR's still on the board. The difference between the 1st wave of WR to the 2nd, compared to the 1st and 2nd wave of CB, is staggeringly different. There are like 1, maybe two, fringe top CB guys left, then the drop off after them is just ridiculous.

Agree...

WRs being deeper than CBs is pretty much the case every year. We got the best prospect, not the most polished CB.

Haden has stopped aging? Holy Shit this new regime is good!

Agree that TCPO was not necessarily factoring in Haden aging into his post... that was pure me...

And you are pure assHole*...

*Note the capital 'H' in your Honor...

Soju do you watch football games? If I hear "we shoulda took Sammy" one more time im coming im coming to where you live and carving I <3 Pittsburgh into your dense forehead.

First of all, did you notice how no one had to throw at Joe Haden all year and teams were able to torch us even though our front seven were in the QBs face all year?

We didnt have any LBs that could cover and no other CBs to speak of. Remember when Joe Haden was out with the adderall suspension and we played 10 yards off of receivers and were the joke of the league? We have needed a number 2 corner (arguably a third corner too) FOR YEARS. Not only does Farmer go out and get for sure A TOP 2 CB in the draft, he gets a first round pick out of the deal!

Secondly, do you watch free agency or do you prefer to be ignorant? National media pundits are raving about how Andrew Hawkins (yeah that one that torched us) is uncoverable (another great signing by this front office). To review our WRs right now are :Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Hawkins, Travis Benjamin. Not to mention we added Ben Tate and have a Pro Bowl TE. Our receiving corps is honestly is better than half the teams in the NFL or better and we should sit on our dicks in the secondary?

Another WR is about our 5th priority in this draft (after QB, CB, MLB, OG). PLEASE jump off the Browns now if you hate the pick, I beg you. Yesterday was the most defining day in browns history since we got Jim Brown. Mark my words.

Also, when I have to agree with miktoxic more that once a day I question my entire life. Soju, youre pushing me right now.

I wish you weren't so bad.

And I wish my opinion mattered less to your ever more intolerably pompous ass...

Had it then you would never have starting made this little disagreement we have personal.

I enjoyed the differing opinions with you as I do any poster here. I did not relish the work it took to prove you wrong in the instance that started the downhill slide, but you insisted upon it, so I obliged you. Then you couldn't handle the fact that you were proven wrong... I believe "nit-pick" was the term you used... and the personal insults began.

I tolerated those insults for as long as I could... but even after a break necessitated by RL... you started up again the moment I returned.

That something so minor as being proven wrong on a web-site is so intolerable to you simply shows how insecure your feeble little mind is.

So the gloves are off...

Feel free continue to pretend the jury is in on Manziel, Shazier, etc., etc., and that you have trumped me in every case. I'll wait until there is actually a NFL record upon which to evaluate them and then give credit where earned and heap abuse where warranted.

The SS Reconciliation has sailed... assHole.

The Gilbert pick was brilliant. Fuller may have been a bit more ready to start, but Gilbert

has the big advantage of elite fluidity and speed. You can't coach that.

The Browns have given up 3rd down conversions so often, this problem had to be fixed.

And that, is a dramatic impact to help the Browns win, and the defense to get the ball back.

Got the attention of every other team in the division with the first pick. Then doubled it

with the second pick.

Very cool. Farmer and Pettine know everything they need to know, and have the absolute excellent philosophy

to building this Browns team, to be making the right decisions.

And now, I'm gonna get my two Tim Couch jerseys, and have "Manziel" put on em, and I'm good to go !

The Gilbert pick was brilliant. Fuller may have been a bit more ready to start, but Gilbert

has the big advantage of elite fluidity and speed. You can't coach that.

The Browns have given up 3rd down conversions so often, this problem had to be fixed.

And that, is a dramatic impact to help the Browns win, and the defense to get the ball back.

Got the attention of every other team in the division with the first pick. Then doubled it

with the second pick.

Very cool. Farmer and Pettine know everything they need to know, and have the absolute excellent philosophy

to building this Browns team, to be making the right decisions.

And now, I'm gonna get my two Tim Couch jerseys, and have "Manziel" put on em, and I'm good to go !

Just put 'Johnny Football' on them.

Stopped reading at teams didn't throw at Haden. Check the targets again, bruh. Teams threw at him a lot.

Link? I found stats that Haden is in the Top 10 effeciency, I somehow doubt that Haden got MORE targets than our number 2 CB being Skrine/owens.

Im not saying he was never thrown at, but I saw us getting gashed far more from teams second or third wideouts on third down.

Man, I cant believe more people are not talking about this kid! I loved the pick and had him firmly in my top 10. If you took QBs off my board he was top 5! We got him and a 1st round pick for number 4. Huge. I said it from the beginning, WR, OT, and a pass rusher were not needs for us, and we were either picking a QB or moving down. Well he pulled both off. Id give Farmer an under the desk handy right now.

Man, I cant believe more people are not talking about this kid! I loved the pick and had him firmly in my top 10. If you took QBs off my board he was top 5! We got him and a 1st round pick for number 4. Huge. I said it from the beginning, WR, OT, and a pass rusher were not needs for us, and we were either picking a QB or moving down. Well he pulled both off. Id give Farmer an under the desk handy right now.

Unfortunately, JFF has hogged all the talk. This was THE pick. I called it right at the trade down and hoped for a 2014 second rounder in return. What we got was gold. I looked at my buddy and we both agreed that if they took Manziel after that, we could handle it. Gilbert will take the secondary to the next level.

Unfortunately, JFF has hogged all the talk. This was THE pick. I called it right at the trade down and hoped for a 2014 second rounder in return. What we got was gold. I looked at my buddy and we both agreed that if they took Manziel after that, we could handle it. Gilbert will take the secondary to the next level.

haha yep. I called it before the draft began though ; )

I wish you weren't so bad.

Oh...the irony.

I almost feel sorry for you....MBA in journalism (lol....journalism) and you write for a fan rag. Doing well....

To your earlier post....I'm an engineer. You get paid for opinions on entertainment....a non critical society function...I get paid....well, very well....because I have an intimate understanding of science and help my employer make millions of dollars a year. So yeah.....I guess there's lots of reasons to be jealous of you.

Totally justified, the size of you head is.

Oh...the irony.

I almost feel sorry for you....MBA in journalism (lol....journalism) and you write for a fan rag. Doing well....

To your earlier post....I'm an engineer. You get paid for opinions on entertainment....a non critical society function...I get paid....well, very well....because I have an intimate understanding of science and help my employer make millions of dollars a year. So yeah.....I guess there's lots of reasons to be jealous of you.

You're so damn cool.

We need to jump this topic back to the top since he was our first pick, and there are like 50 topics about WR and Manziel.

Anyway, for the scheme the Browns are playing, he was a good pick.

For the value they got him at with the 8th pick, and getting a 1st and 4th next year he was an excellent pick.

As a player alone, for me he is a decent pick. I have said this in a few threads but they weren't Gilbert related; he is a below average tackler and with me being a football coach, I just couldn't sign off on that, no matter the magnificent coverage talent that he has. But you also have to remember that my coaching is at a completely different level than these guys, and there is A LOT more passing in NFL than at my level, but still hard to get something out of your mind/how you teach. The coaches on the Browns also know A LOT more than I do, and all of what I am saying is personal preference, but if we were going CB, I would went someone with a little better tackling skills, even if we traded down. I liked Kyle Fuller myself, but again I also am a VT fan :). Again I liked the pick for our scheme and really liked the pick for the value, and I think these coaches can get him tackling better, but I think that Desir what a better value pick, and if we hadn't drafted Gilbert I think Desir could have started. I think on runs/short passes that at least initially Gilbert's tackling may be a liability.

I'd expect a lot better insight from an educated man. Mouthbreathers like Tour have an excuse to be wrong, but you're just lazy, I guess.

And I make a lot more than my engineer girlfriend at my 9-5. The fact that I get paid for a hobby and passion on the side is icing on the cake.

So cool bro, keep it up.

I was actually replying to choco...his post just became all braggy. I actually really like your posts/articles, Mike. Not sure how those wires got crossed.

The dick measuring contests on here about professions get a little silly.

We need to jump this topic back to the top since he was our first pick, and there are like 50 topics about WR and Manziel.

Anyway, for the scheme the Browns are playing, he was a good pick.

For the value they got him at with the 8th pick, and getting a 1st and 4th next year he was an excellent pick.

As a player alone, for me he is a decent pick. I have said this in a few threads but they weren't Gilbert related; he is a below average tackler and with me being a football coach, I just couldn't sign off on that, no matter the magnificent coverage talent that he has. But you also have to remember that my coaching is at a completely different level than these guys, and there is A LOT more passing in NFL than at my level, but still hard to get something out of your mind/how you teach. The coaches on the Browns also know A LOT more than I do, and all of what I am saying is personal preference, but if we were going CB, I would went someone with a little better tackling skills, even if we traded down. I liked Kyle Fuller myself, but again I also am a VT fan :). Again I liked the pick for our scheme and really liked the pick for the value, and I think these coaches can get him tackling better, but I think that Desir what a better value pick, and if we hadn't drafted Gilbert I think Desir could have started. I think on runs/short passes that at least initially Gilbert's tackling may be a liability.

I agree that not being a great tackler can be irksom, but at the same time it is probably one of the easier things to fix in a CB. I'm not talking about turning him into some kind of thumper, but teaching him how to tackle effectively while also protecting his own body. When Haden came into the league, he had the same lable as a below average tackler. But if he was, the past coaches got it fixed before he even stepped on the field for his first game. He never blows anyone back, but he raps around the legs and takes them down.

I was actually replying to choco...his post just became all braggy. I actually really like your posts/articles, Mike. Not sure how those wires got crossed.

I am a professional dick measurer. Don't ask

I agree that not being a great tackler can be irksom, but at the same time it is probably one of the easier things to fix in a CB. I'm not talking about turning him into some kind of thumper, but teaching him how to tackle effectively while also protecting his own body. When Haden came into the league, he had the same lable as a below average tackler. But if he was, the past coaches got it fixed before he even stepped on the field for his first game. He never blows anyone back, but he raps around the legs and takes them down.

I am a professional dick measurer. Don't ask

Like I said Harry Buffalo, Gilbert is a great fit for the scheme of the Browns and I am sure the coaches can coach him up and at least make him a better tackler, but as a coach it just would give ME a concern. I can't think of the perfect word for it, because I don't think it is a lack of effort, but in some of the highlights that is the appearance it gives off. Like I said, I don't think that's what it is, but I don't have the perfect word for it. One way that I can somewhat describe it, though not as bad (though not nearly as talented either) is remember how Deion want to/never did tackle, but if there was a tackle that had to be made, he could make it? He reminds me somewhat of that. Gilbert is a better tackler than that, but that is what popped into my head.

I am obviously no scout, and if I was the team would suck because of my mentality, and I do have a completely different mentality/style of football than in pros which effects how I view things like that. But I can tell you, that I do have to watch a lot of film and with MY mentality/style, if he was on my team and doing that he wouldn't be on field until it was corrected and wouldn't "recruit/draft" him. Thats why I am not in charge of a team.

The funny thing is, with all that said, I think it was a good pick, and with the extra picks, it was a GREAT pick. I also have a funny feeling that Pettine has some of that same mentality/style as me in him. It's just a different game in NFL and he knows that, but he will make both of those CB tougher

I'd expect a lot better insight from an educated man. Mouthbreathers like Tour have an excuse to be wrong, but you're just lazy, I guess.

And I make a lot more than my engineer girlfriend at my 9-5. The fact that I get paid for a hobby and passion on the side is icing on the cake.

So cool bro, keep it up.

"I make more than my girlfriend."

Classic!... and so very manly...

thanks for that link tour. prob wouldn't have seen it without your post.

yw, my man... that wry little smile was a cool moment.

Oh...the irony.

Ah... a fellow engineer... and probably a fellow mouthbreather as well... ;)

I thought that was pretty clear, but forgive Mikey... he's a little paranoid these days.

Profession comparisons had not been in the discussion. Just one of the latest places Mikey has taken the convo in a futile attempt to puff himself up more.

Not only can Mikey not construct a logical argument, but also he cannot tolerate being anything less than the voice of authority here. Quite a conundrum... So he has simply fallen back on name-calling and what is clinically known as "making shit up" about others here.

Classic insecurity reaction...

Well, Mike H., I am retired now, but I was a corporate programmer/analyst-business/analyst....a

nicely paid consultant with some huge companies in the latter years, and my Wonderful Cute Wife always made more money than I did.

Master's degree, etc.

So, I win. B)

Visual Basic, Lotus Notes, Javascript...

you big dummy. lol

Okay, so my first year, I wrote mortgage payment calcs in assembler

on some old IBM 360 mainframes for 42 banks. Never made a mistake.

Left there to do dbase and foxpro stuff. A lot more fun. Assembler was no fun.

you big dummy. lol

Ugh, assembly script. Horrible stuff.

Do I perhaps trump you all? I am a guy that on occasion can put other guys on an involuntary basis into a place where they are or can be actually forced to measure each others dicks....for real.

you big dummy. lol

IBM 360? Dude, any math I had to do was done with a slide rule....or an abacus. God, what a day when Texas Instruments came out with a calculator that would only cost you about $400.00 (you know, the kind that people give away now for free as promotional material)

Archived