THE BROWNS BOARD

Gordon is out for year. damnit.

Flyin J

We weren't going to win a Super Bowl this year... Gordon is weeding himself out. Don't forget this was yet another pick from the old regime and a BIG RISK going in.

There are a lot of WRs in this draft. Yes, this hurts from a talent perspective. However, it isn't like it is the end of the world. We had one good year from Edwards and then he sucked it up. Think of it as getting rid of a Terrell Owens in hopes of getting real BROWNS players on this team.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesnt make someone whiny cause they see reality

Gordon is a flat idiot whose throwing away his football career whose screwing his team mates and the fans

i dont get why when farmer haslem knew bout gordons drug test they pass on watkins and through 3 rds aint drafted a wr.

You're not a GM. You are some guy. So am I. Just let the professionals do their job. Though Gordon is not a professional anymore.

yeah wtf? They probably knew about this for days, why didn't we draft Watkins then? wtf...this is just unreal though really. I think pro athletes should be able to smoke weed tbh, so in principal I'm not against Gordon smoking weed. But he knew his next time out was gonna be for a year so that's the breaks...you wanna smoke weed,wait till next offseason and go take a vacation someplace where the testers can't get to you. Gordon just shit in Shanahans cheerios all of you need to understand that. He was going to be the focus of the offense next year. The whole reason we picked up Hawkins was so that Gordon doesn't get doubled up the entire season. Jordan better understand he's gonna be focus of the defense's next year. He might actually not have that great of a year because of this.

First off, he has a tattoo of a pot leaf on his back.....you could see this coming a mile away. Casual smokers dont get tats of pot leaves.

Now if the test happened in the off-season then the NFL is taking this too far. If they went out and tested EVERYONE right now half the league would be suspended.

No matter....Gordon is a dipshit. You have to consider trading him when he comes back. HE WILL NOT STOP SMOKING......EVER!!

It's just a poison ivy tat.

What a crock of shit some of these replies.

If Cin lost AJ Green for a year we'd erupt with delight.

Admit what's happened, this is a fucking disaster

Lol....damn, I guess I'm in the denial stage

D. Fox from Bull and Fox called this last year. Midway through the season after watching a bunch of all 22 video's on Gordon....he was loafing out the blocks when the ball wasn't going to him. Fox was a DB at OH St. so he knows how that game is played. Guys like that give the play away. That on top of the looming 1 year suspension, we should have traded him. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we have 1st round interest in Gordon? Not sure which teams it was so wouldn't know how high that pick would have been.....but another 1st round pick, hell even another 2nd round pick....looks pretty fucking good right about now.

he may have been caught off guard. GUys who have tested + in the past get random drop ins. They are compelled to immediately supply a urine sample. Hard to beat a random test like that if you're caught in the middle of the offseason by some dudes showing up at your door. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL trails some of these offenders in the offseason and if they're seen going places they shouldn't be....they get a visit on a sunday morning. Meaning if he would have stayed home and smoked weed they may not have bothered. I the NFL knows damn well that 90% of the players smoke. It's just where they go around doing their business is what concerns the NFL. You got players seen out and about doing things they shouldn't, looks bad. Do it in the privacy of your own home, nobody likely gives a fuck. This is how guys like Lebron, a known weed smoker to people in Akron, stay out of trouble. Lebron doesn't hang around places and people he shouldn't be. We give Lebron a lot of shit cause he's a dbag....but other than that he keeps his shit remarkably clean. These major sports organizations are remarkably lenient behind closed doors, if you're doing it at home.....they will tell when they are going to do their "obligatory" tests. And if you fail those you're an asshole.

Why release him? Fantastic idea.....smh.

Problem or not, someone will take a chance on him, and I for one would rather be the team that rehabilitates him rather than watch him get his shit together for someone else.

Otherwise, he pisses hot again and gets the perma ban.

Good news is rosenhaus lost a lot of bargaining chips, so we don't have to pay him ungodly money.

Relax....deep breath. The sun will come up tomorrow.

I was thinking the same thing about his contract. If he did play this year and played the same as last year then he would want a huge extension. Now it will be a minimal finacial obligation to resign him.

Still a dumbass.

I'm guessing our starting WR corps will be Burleson, Hawkins, Benjamin, Little and Cooper. Not sure who else we have.

he may have been caught off guard. GUys who have tested + in the past get random drop ins. They are compelled to immediately supply a urine sample. Hard to beat a random test like that if you're caught in the middle of the offseason by some dudes showing up at your door. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL trails some of these offenders in the offseason and if they're seen going places they shouldn't be....they get a visit on a sunday morning. Meaning if he would have stayed home and smoked weed they may not have bothered. I the NFL knows damn well that 90% of the players smoke. It's just where they go around doing their business is what concerns the NFL. You got players seen out and about doing things they shouldn't, looks bad. Do it in the privacy of your own home, nobody likely gives a fuck. This is how guys like Lebron, a known weed smoker to people in Akron, stay out of trouble. Lebron doesn't hang around places and people he shouldn't be. We give Lebron a lot of shit cause he's a dbag....but other than that he keeps his shit remarkably clean. These major sports organizations are remarkably lenient behind closed doors, if you're doing it at home.....they will tell when they are going to do their "obligatory" tests. And if you fail those you're an asshole.

Well there you have it, I guess.

Just legalize weed and get these ridiculous ass penalties over with. Not to mention all the other benefits.

Whether a person agrees or disagrees with you the fact remains until it happens you follow the rules. How fucking dumb can a guy be?

1. Incredibly selfish move from Gordon. He knew he was on thin ice and his actions have caused a lot of disappointment for thousands of people. What the hell was he thinking??

2. Fucking NFL. Weed? Really? A harmless substance that doesn't enhance one's on-field ability and is steadily becoming legal across North America? THAT'S what you're so pissy about? Good lord. Welcome to the 21st Century you bunch of knobs.

Lets take an optomistic view for a moment. The following are fact

1) The FO knew about this yesterday before they traded down passing on both Watkins and Evans.

2) The FO knew about this tonight when they passed on Lee and others and selected Bitonio

I really do not think our FO is incompetent or blatatanly stupid. Given that fact is it possible they know something we havent heard yet? For example I read somewhere last year that Gordons circumstances did NOT necessarily mean a one year suspension. I honestly think based on their actions they must think he will play a major share of the season. If not the moves make no sense. I do not think they would have made these moves thinking they could fill Gordon with a 4th round selection, an existing WR or a free agent.

Anyone else follow my logic there and agree?

1. Incredibly selfish move from Gordon. He knew he was on thin ice and his actions have caused a lot of disappointment for thousands of people. What the hell was he thinking??

2. Fucking NFL. Weed? Really? A substance that doesn't enhance one's on-field ability and is steadily becoming legal across North America? THAT'S what you're so pissy about? Good lord. Welcome to the 21st Century you bunch of knobs.

Doesn't change the fact that its still federal illegal and even where it is legal employers can still fire you for a positive drug test for THC.

Bottom line is he knew what he was doing and is an idiot for pissing away millions of dollars.

Don't know anything about the logistics or timing of the piss test but why he wasn't prepared to pass strikes me as being irresponsible. You've always got to have a plan when the man comes knocking on your door. I'd guess he was never a Boy Scout

1) The FO knew about this yesterday before they traded down passing on both Watkins and Evans.

2) The FO knew about this tonight when they passed on Lee and others and selected Bitonio

I really do not think our FO is incompetent or blatatanly stupid. Given that fact is it possible they know something we havent heard yet? For example I read somewhere last year that Gordons circumstances did NOT necessarily mean a one year suspension. I honestly think based on their actions they must think he will play a major share of the season. If not the moves make no sense. I do not think they would have made these moves thinking they could fill Gordon with a 4th round selection, an existing WR or a free agent.

Or they just not changing their plans on the account of that dipshit. We all wondered why Little was still here....well now we know why

Don't know anything about the logistics or timing of the piss test but why he wasn't prepared to pass strikes me as being irresponsible. You've always got to have a plan when the man comes knocking on your door. I'd guess he was never a Boy Scout

The boy scouts teach you how to beat a drug test. Man I should've stuck with it.

I don't know if it's that I fully feel your logic, or that I simply choose to be hopeful... But I see where you're coming from.

Not ready to slam my fingers in my car door just yet until the penalty is officially announced.

Still, this doesn't bode well for Gordon's future in Cleveland.

Below is a repost of something that was written last year when Banner was trying to trade Josh Gordon. It seems to revolve around the fact that the codeine may have been Gordons first strike in Stage 2 of the program. Apparently you are allowed TWO fails in stage two before being pushed to stage 3. Both fails in stage to result in 4 game suspensions , its a failure in stage 3 that gets you a year. Take it for what its worth as its not my personal research.

There are three ways to get placed into the NFL drug treatment program.

1. Testing positive: This is self explanatory.

2. Behavioral: A player having off-the-field issues dealing with alcohol and drugs. This is probably the most likely scenario in which Gordon was entered into the program. With his off the field issues at Baylor and Utah, this seems like a slam dunk. But remember, positive tests in college DO NOT count towards positive tests in the NFL.

3. Self-Referral: A player who requests that he be entered into the program (Never heard of anyone doing this).

A player can then remain in stage 1 for up to six months, but that can be extended for certain situations. There is no way of knowing if Gordon slipped in this stage or if the window was extended by the medical director.

Here is where it gets tricky. The medical director can advise the NFL to advance a player into stage 2, simply on their recommendation (bottom of page 14 here). So a player, such as Josh Gordon, can be entered into the drug program, and elevated to stage 2 with zero positive tests. Granted, smoking a ton of weed in college doesn't help, but it can be done. Players are then in stage 2 for 24 months or two football seasons, whichever is shorter.

Let's assume that this is what happened to Gordon.

He THEN tests positive for codeine and is flagged by the NFL. This means he has a positive test in stage 2. The punishment outlined for the first positive test in stage two is the following:

1. A fine of 4/17ths of the players salary (or we know it as four weeks pay)

2. Suspension of four consecutive regular season and postseason games, including Pro Bowl if elected.

Now Gordon had his four game suspension knocked down to two and was fined four game checks. Getting the suspension knocked down to two games is no small feat, mind you. This is a very important development. Players have been turned down on appeals even though they had prescriptions, like Hollis Thomas. Hell, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams had to go to Federal Court to get their four-game suspensions knocked down to two. So yes, the reduced sentence does show that Gordon may be telling the truth when he says that he was taking medicine and that the NFL believed what he was telling them.

This seems as if it was his FIRST positive test in stage 2.

Here is where people are getting confused. People assume that a positive test in stage 2 automatically means that the player is then dumped into stage 3 which could carry the season long ban we keep hearing about.

But that's not true.

Players are allowed TWO positive tests in stage 2, or one positive test in stage 2 and one instance in which the player failed to comply with the program. (what that means I have no idea, but we haven't heard anything of the sort when it comes to Gordon). A second positive test would then mean:

1. A fine of 4/17ths to 6/17ths of the players salary (or as we know it as four to six weeks pay)

2. A suspension of four to six consecutive regular season and postseason games, including Pro Bowl if elected.

If a player tests positive twice in stage 2 within a 2 year window, that player is then dropped into stage 3, the stage in which everyone assumes Josh Gordon is in.

As you saw earlier, I asked Greg Aiello, head of NFL PR and media question answer mogul, if we could find out a way to see what stage Josh Gordon was in. The NFL keeps this stuff under a tight lock and key (just go back and see how angry the league was when Josh Freeman's inclusion in the program was leaked).

There are tons and tons of pages written on this, and even after reading through it, I am not even sure I understand it. This is my best guess. For all I know, Gordon screwed up his program once before his test, but that is a large assumption to make off of "I think so" from him in September. There is a chance that even Josh Gordon isn't 100% sure.

When you look at the "evidence" of Gordon being in stage 3 vs. stage 2 (the lone suspension, the reduced amount of games, and the four-game fine), I tend to believe that Gordon is on his last strike of stage 2. If he tests positive again or screws up the program, he could be suspended again and then dropped into stage 3, which he would face a season-long ban.

Below is a repost of something that was written last year when Banner was trying to trade Josh Gordon. It seems to revolve around the fact that the codeine may have been Gordons first strike in Stage 2 of the program. Apparently you are allowed TWO fails in stage two before being pushed to stage 3. Both fails in stage to result in 4 game suspensions , its a failure in stage 3 that gets you a year. Take it for what its worth as its not my personal research.

2. Behavioral: A player having off-the-field issues dealing with alcohol and drugs. This is probably the most likely scenario in which Gordon was entered into the program. With his off the field issues at Baylor and Utah, this seems like a slam dunk. But remember, positive tests in college DO NOT count towards positive tests in the NFL.

3. Self-Referral: A player who requests that he be entered into the program (Never heard of anyone doing this).

A player can then remain in stage 1 for up to six months, but that can be extended for certain situations. There is no way of knowing if Gordon slipped in this stage or if the window was extended by the medical director.

Here is where it gets tricky. The medical director can advise the NFL to advance a player into stage 2, simply on their recommendation (bottom of page 14 here). So a player, such as Josh Gordon, can be entered into the drug program, and elevated to stage 2 with zero positive tests. Granted, smoking a ton of weed in college doesn't help, but it can be done. Players are then in stage 2 for 24 months or two football seasons, whichever is shorter.

He THEN tests positive for codeine and is flagged by the NFL. This means he has a positive test in stage 2. The punishment outlined for the first positive test in stage two is the following:

2. Suspension of four consecutive regular season and postseason games, including Pro Bowl if elected.

Now Gordon had his four game suspension knocked down to two and was fined four game checks. Getting the suspension knocked down to two games is no small feat, mind you. This is a very important development. Players have been turned down on appeals even though they had prescriptions, like Hollis Thomas. Hell, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams had to go to Federal Court to get their four-game suspensions knocked down to two. So yes, the reduced sentence does show that Gordon may be telling the truth when he says that he was taking medicine and that the NFL believed what he was telling them.

Here is where people are getting confused. People assume that a positive test in stage 2 automatically means that the player is then dumped into stage 3 which could carry the season long ban we keep hearing about.

But that's not true.

Players are allowed TWO positive tests in stage 2, or one positive test in stage 2 and one instance in which the player failed to comply with the program. (what that means I have no idea, but we haven't heard anything of the sort when it comes to Gordon). A second positive test would then mean:

1. A fine of 4/17ths to 6/17ths of the players salary (or as we know it as four to six weeks pay)

2. A suspension of four to six consecutive regular season and postseason games, including Pro Bowl if elected.

If a player tests positive twice in stage 2 within a 2 year window, that player is then dropped into stage 3, the stage in which everyone assumes Josh Gordon is in.

As you saw earlier, I asked Greg Aiello, head of NFL PR and media question answer mogul, if we could find out a way to see what stage Josh Gordon was in. The NFL keeps this stuff under a tight lock and key (just go back and see how angry the league was when Josh Freeman's inclusion in the program was leaked).

There are tons and tons of pages written on this, and even after reading through it, I am not even sure I understand it. This is my best guess. For all I know, Gordon screwed up his program once before his test, but that is a large assumption to make off of "I think so" from him in September. There is a chance that even Josh Gordon isn't 100% sure.

When you look at the "evidence" of Gordon being in stage 3 vs. stage 2 (the lone suspension, the reduced amount of games, and the four-game fine), I tend to believe that Gordon is on his last strike of stage 2. If he tests positive again or screws up the program, he could be suspended again and then dropped into stage 3, which he would face a season-long ban.

I hope you are right.

But that's not true.

I'd put money up he dont play in 2014. Unless JF catches us a break. That I can see.

Archived