THE BROWNS BOARD

Connor Shaw

I'm actually a Buckeyes fan because I grew up in Youngstown (the source of my fandom period). I now live in the south hence I'm stuck with the SEC fanfare. While I don't root for SEC teams I acknowledge that a majority of the talent goes to those schools. Doesn't mean that I don't anxiously await the Big Ten's return to power.

That is a theory....but if you look at the Pro Bowl rosters, as many or more players in the Pro Bowl actually went to Big Ten or Pac 10 schools.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this a real argument happening in real life?

Shaw can't hold Manziels jock, as you will see soon enough.

It is an argument about how Connor Shaw and Johhny Football have similar styles and may complement each other in the Browns offense.

Now I am sure the Gamecock honks might see Shaw as the equivalent or superior to JFF, but that is OK, since he is their boy.

Obviously not many others see it that way.

(but just be aware of my Mike Phipps/Brian Sipe analogy. The meek shall inherit the earth, and it would not be the first time that the lowly undrafted or low drafted guy outshines the big name prospect. Not saying that would happen, but also not discounting the remote possibility....because I have lived through it.)

JunkYardDog "Besides the fact, that Shaw outperformed Manziel, and Teddy Twatwater in every catagory of the NFL combine."

I wanted to point out that this is false.

I used the top 15 QB performers of the 2014 NFL Combine as my population.

Combine results:

40yd Dash: Shaw - 4.66 sec, Manziel - 4.68 sec

Avg: 4.83 sec, Standard deviation: 0.14 sec

Placing Shaw and Manziel within the same standard deviation.

Very slight edge: Shaw

Vertical Jump: Shaw - 34", Manziel - 31.5"

Avg: 30.5", SD: 2.49"

Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel

Edge: Shaw

Broad Jump: Shaw - 9' 8" (116"), Manziel - 9' 5" (113")

Avg: 110" (9'2"), SD: 4.23"

Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel.

Three Cone: Shaw - 7.07 sec, Manziel - 6.75 sec

Avg: 7.11 sec, SD: 0.21 sec

Placing Manziel in one SD ahead of Shaw.

Edge: Manziel

20yd Shuttle: Shaw - 4.33 sec, Manziel - 4.03 sec

Avg 4.25 sec, SD: 0.09 sec

Shaw is -1 on the SD scale and Manziel is greater than 2 on the +SD. The gap between is large.

Exceptionally Large Edge: Manziel

Tally: Shaw - 2 edges, 1 slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge

If you skew the data where the avg was the worst performer of the two (Shaw and Manziel) and kept the SD, Shaw and Manziel are within the same SD on 40yd Dash, Broad Jump and Shaw is barely one SD above Manziel on the Vertical.

Skewed Tally: Shaw - 2 slight edges, 1 very slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge.

Two Notes on the 20 yd shuttle:

1. The 20 yd Shuttle is the only time either one of the performers dropped below the Avg.

2. Manziel is the 2nd fastest QB since 2006 (Matt Scott, 2013, 3.99 sec), no info before 2006

P.S. Teddy Twatwater beat Shaw at the 20yd Shuttle (4.2 sec)

TLDR: Shaw did not outperform Manziel in the draft.

Edit: Corrected 40yd Dash times

JunkYardDog "Besides the fact, that Shaw outperformed Manziel, and Teddy Twatwater in every catagory of the NFL combine."

I wanted to point out that this is false.

I used the top 15 QB performers of the 2014 NFL Combine as my population.

Combine results:

40yd Dash: Shaw - 4.36 sec, Manziel - 4.38 sec

Avg: 4.83 sec, Standard deviation: 0.14 sec

Placing Shaw and Manziel within the same standard deviation.

Very slight edge: Shaw

Vertical Jump: Shaw - 34", Manziel - 31.5"

Avg: 30.5", SD: 2.49"

Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel

Broad Jump: Shaw - 9' 8" (116"), Manziel - 9' 5" (113")

Avg: 110" (9'2"), SD: 4.23"

Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel.

Three Cone: Shaw - 7.07 sec, Manziel - 6.75 sec

Avg: 7.11 sec, SD: 0.21 sec

Placing Manziel in one SD ahead of Shaw.

Edge: Manziel

20yd Shuttle: Shaw - 4.33 sec, Manziel - 4.03 sec

Avg 4.25 sec, SD: 0.09 sec

Shaw is -1 on the SD scale and Manziel is greater than 2 on the +SD. The gap between is large.

Exceptionally Large Edge: Manziel

Tally: Shaw - 2 edges, 1 slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge

If you skew the data where the avg was the worst performer of the two (Shaw and Manziel) and kept the SD, Shaw and Manziel are within the same SD on 40yd Dash, Broad Jump and Shaw is barely one SD above Manziel on the Vertical.

Skewed Tally: Shaw - 2 slight edges, 1 very slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge.

Two Notes on the 20 yd shuttle:

1. The 20 yd Shuttle is the only time either one of the performers dropped below the Avg.

2. Manziel is the 2nd fastest QB since 2006 (Matt Scott, 2013, 3.99 sec), no info before 2006

P.S. Teddy Twatwater beat Shaw at the 20yd Shuttle (4.2 sec)

TLDR: Shaw did not outperform Manziel in the draft.

Are you sure about those 40 times? I was pretty sure that Manziel ran 4.68 and Shaw ran 4.66. Either way, points stands that they're about the same.

He fits the character, the work ethic, the toughness..

he's a *football player* who loves the game.. super competitive...He's smart,

and was very successful.

Don't be surprised if he hangs on with the Browns as

an UDFA qb.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Connor-Shaw%E2%80%99s-first-week-as-a-Brown/0400a880-82dc-4f19-b245-3ebf4f74a368

Always liked the kid when I lived in the South watching his games. The kid has grit. He is obviously a work in progress, but like all players, this guy needs time to develope.

It's easy, even preferable, to go with the QB depth of Hoyer/Manziel/Shaw now.

It'll get harder to go with such inexperience the closer we get to opening day.

The QB depth for week one 1 should be Manziel, Thigpen, and Shaw. Hoyer needs to be released.

This isn't a comedy board.

Or a most moronic thing said wins a prize board.

The QB depth for week one 1 should be Manziel, Thigpen, and Shaw. Hoyer needs to be released.

HAHA!!

Or a most moronic thing said wins a prize board.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

We don't have enough prizes for that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Reading this board I can't help but wonder...

How can you guys be so optimistic about a about a guy who had -250 yards in rushing in college, who is 6 years older and coming off knee surgery? I guess the objective is to never have second chance plays? Being mobile is one thing, being a concrete footed statue is another.

I don't see the logic here. Investing in a old statue that isn't worth a 5th round draft pick in a trade isn't smart, but I guess he's your anti- Manziel horse. Ok. Good luck with that.

There's an anti Conner Shaw contingent?

Hes a fourth string undrafted rookie.

Whatever.

No like we are planning on starting him against Pittsburgh opening day.

Z

Short of you actually being Thigpen you must just be a dumbass. Greatest board advice you will ever get................................with only 5 posts create a new user name and start over you have destroyed any credibility this one would ever have.

Short of you actually being Thigpen you must just be a dumbass. Greatest board advice you will ever get................................with only 5 posts create a new user name and start over you have destroyed any credibility this one would ever have.

I have many most posts than you and and I agree with his post.

Should I quit, too?

You know what would be a cool concept? Having the three best QB's that give us the best chance of winning on the opening roster. No politics, no favorites. Just football.

On paper, Hoyer isn't one of them. It remains to be seen how it plays out through OTA's and training camp but, in a perfect world, each of them should have the exact same chance of making it.

Alas, it's not a perfect world.

Zom, I was talking about Hoyer, apologies, should have directly said that.

Personally I think shaw as a backup in a Manziel led team is best. Dress out 3 qb's. I like the shaw signing

Oh ok, I thought shaw was pretty mobile, but it's Hoyer you hate.

He's not concrete footed, did you watch the games last year, or are you just some SEC gayboy Newb?

He played well against NFL defenses last year, not Mississippi St. And he has Drew Brees measurables, if nothing else I think we have found a long term #2.

Z

Archived