THE BROWNS BOARD

The UCSB shooters parents blame 2nd amendment.

The point is, you need to have a damn good reason to own one - hunting is a good enough reason, apparently. You're not convincing anyone you're going hunting with a semi-automatic.

Shotguns also don't have a particularly high rate of fire, so going on a rampage with one is going to be tricky. We seem to have found a balance between allowing firearms to people that have a genuine reason for having one and restricting general access.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point is, you need to have a damn good reason to own one - hunting is a good enough reason, apparently. You're not convincing anyone you're going hunting with a semi-automatic.

Shotguns also don't have a particularly high rate of fire, so going on a rampage with one is going to be tricky. We seem to have found a balance between allowing firearms to people that have a genuine reason for having one and restricting general access.

This is incorrect. I'm going to pick on you a little Chris, but this is the problem responsible gun-owners are facing in the US. The lawmakers putting restrictions on guns don't have the slightest clue about the guns they are legislating.

The Remington 11-87 is a fairly common semiautomatic shotgun that is used for bird/duck/geese hunting. It holds 5 12ga rounds and can fire those rounds as fast as you can squeeze the trigger (and remain standing up right) - exactly the same rate of fire as a semiautomatic pistol, or big scary "assault rifle". If you don't think 5 rds of 00 Buck shot can cause a rampage, you're mistaken.

Rifles you say? For about $3000-3500 (including proper optics) you can own a Remington 700 autoloading rifle (semiautomatic) chambered in .338 Lapua that can reach out and ruin your day from 1000+ yards. It will accept 10-rd magazines (legal in Commiefornia & New Yorkistan). Also can be "rampage" fear-inducing as you watch the guy standing next to you drop with a fist size hole in his stomach/head before you even hear the gun go off.

Contrast these with the modern "assault rifle" that the only difference from the Rem 700 (outside of cosmetics that have no affect on performance), is the magazine size and caliber. The AR is chambered (typically) in 5.56 nato or .223. Effective range of 200 yards (300-400 if you have a really nice rifle and an operator that can outshoot the rifle).

I'm much more afraid of someone that properly knows how to operate a 12 gauge semi or the Rem 700 than I am of a Range Ninja with 15 lights and lasers hanging off his Colt AR. Guess which guns our "legislators" continue to restrict?

But I think you're probably thinking of a "gentleman's shotgun" that the aristocracy hunts with on preserves in their knickers that is more a long the lines of an over/under or side-by-side that is commonly used in pheasant/grouse hunting. To which you're correct, tough to start a rampage with.

I don't see a problem with rifle hunting, though bow just seems pretty cool - in a caveman, hunter gatherer kind of way. I believe the whole experience is more about the tracking, stealth and spending ages trying to get the perfect shot, right through the temples (or wherever), hence deer stalking, not deer shooting.

Not to derail, but a the son of a college professor stormed into his father's classroom and shot him with a bow. Father died. Guy also killed his girlfriend by stabbing her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241727/Christopher-Krumm-College-professor-murdered-savage-bow-arrow-attack-fought-son-AFTER-shot-head-students-escape.html

Again, criminals will commit crime, gun or no gun.

Not to derail, but a the son of a college professor stormed into his father's classroom and shot him with a bow. Father died. Guy also killed his girlfriend by stabbing her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241727/Christopher-Krumm-College-professor-murdered-savage-bow-arrow-attack-fought-son-AFTER-shot-head-students-escape.html

Again, criminals will commit crime, gun or no gun.

Well good thing he didn't have a gun or he could have taken out more people if he wanted to.

There is no debate here that bad people won't do bad things. It is that guns will give them more potential to do harm than say a crossbow, knife or pressure cooker...

You could walk into a mall with a knife, and kill many people unnoticed. One quick stab to the heart is all it takes. Granted, you have to know where to stab, but it could be done. I think most reasonable people agree that background checks are okay. Psychological tests are fine. But there is nothing you can do to stop someone who is intent on killing.

Now, here's a very legit idea that several of us have suggested in the past....

and libs ignored...

expand the background checks to include those who should not have guns, then

the red flag would go off.

Right now, it's more voluntary, which is stupid.

But it won't make a lot of money for the left. They hate that.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-house-moves-bolster-gun-background-check-system-233357263.html

But I think you're probably thinking of a "gentleman's shotgun" that the aristocracy hunts with on preserves in their knickers that is more a long the lines of an over/under or side-by-side that is commonly used in pheasant/grouse hunting. To which you're correct, tough to start a rampage with.

So you knew what I was talking about, then put different words in my mouth and criticised them?

Come on, you're better than that. You're shoe-horning in arguments that we're not talking about here.

No, I was guessing as to what you were talking about because you were vague and not at all informed as to what is out there. Which is why I discussed a total of 4 separate platforms - all of which can be sold and used for hunting. Only 1 of which lawmakers are afraid of.

#ReadingComprehension. Catch the fever!!!

If you knew me you wouldn't fuck with me. Lets just say that. DH

Ha. If we were playing "Aggravation", I'd send your marble back to start

in a NY second....

Archived