THE BROWNS BOARD

Solar FREAKIN' Roadways!

Absolutely. I posted this in another thread somewhere, but these are amazing. So, if they get installed on every tarmac surface in america, you produce about 3 times the national requirements of energy? Then why the fuck are we waiting? Money has to come from somewhere, I suppose. But these things will essentially pay for themselves. Who stands to lose from that? Oh, right, oil companies. Good job they don't have any influence anywhere in policy making...

Pub for lunch, feeling cynical!

Absolutely. I posted this in another thread somewhere, but these are amazing. So, if they get installed on every tarmac surface in america, you produce about 3 times the national requirements of energy? Then why the fuck are we waiting? Money has to come from somewhere, I suppose. But these things will essentially pay for themselves. Who stands to lose from that? Oh, right, oil companies. Good job they don't have any influence anywhere in policy making...

Pub for lunch, feeling cynical!

Because of oil. Pure and simple. Eisenhower did this in the 50's why the fuck can we not do this now. Pure bullshit that they don't. It would produce tens of thousands of jobs if not more. And there should be NO debate in congress. All the "right" and "lefts" I talk to agree, this could change the world. Imagine if China did this?

Cool, but it would cost a fortune and take forever to complete.

So we'd better get started now, rather than delay?

Yes, the funding issue is a real one, and not a simple one to solve. But there's money available to repair roads, to repair the energy infrastructure and all the rest. It might mean that we scrimp on some other area for the next 10 years to get this installed (maybe less military for a start), but the rewards if and when it's installed are massive.

• Upvote 1

I'm in.

And sure it's going to cost a shitload of money and take a shitload of time. Probably a shitload more (and a shitload less efficient) if its controlled by the federal government. Ha ha ha ha ha.

But even if someone accuses me of stepping off the reservation I think solar panels natural gas and wind turbines are a fine idea.

I hope the driving force behind them ends up being Ford, Subaru, Exxon and British Petroleum instead of Uncle Sam but.....

WSS

Ya, this is a fantastic idea. I've seen a lot of articles and videos about it recently. I really like the one posted here though.

Like others have said, my biggest concern would be big oil companies and the like using their influence to make this not happen. Because fuck what's best for everyone, money is where it is at. It would be great if one of these large companies took the leap though, and went on to produce all of the panels.

I'm not sure how a politician could vote against this. I would hope any that do suffer in the polls.

Even if we did get the left and the right to agree on this, where the money would come from would be another huge issue. I would start with the military, but there are others on here that take that idea as damn near treason.

You have to start somewhere though. You can't just say "this is expensive and will take forever" then stop there. There is always going to be a first step.

The company I work for could also become very involved with these panels if they take off. So, there's a personal benefit.

A $600 bil failure of a website would be a good down payment to get the ball rolling.

How about the $800 bil bailout to Wall Street? Time to collect, gentlemen.

This is a phenomenal idea, btw (and oil companies would only be second in line to Big Coal to block it).

Chris-

So much of our infrastructure is in poor shape in need of replacing (there were some bridge collapse fiascos a few years back) that it makes the most sense to use this tech while replacing/repairing it.

This would make the most sense in Cities / suburbs, and the highways/beltways that feed them. This is where the majority of the power is being consumed, start there first. Doesn't make too much sense to run 50 linear miles of the stuff to service 15-20 homes in the middle of nowhere. At least at first. Give those guys the Roof replacement. (Shingles are made of asphalt, and so are roads)

the biggest problem I would see financially is the same as we will encounter if and when we replace all the incandescent lights in businesses streetlights schools stadiums etc with LED. It will take 10% of the power meaning that there will be probably 90% savings. That means a lot of money not going into the companies that provide that powerand the people who work for them. Unless of course they just start robbing the public for what cost them 90% less.

WSS

A $600 bil failure of a website would be a good down payment to get the ball rolling.

How about the $800 bil bailout to Wall Street? Time to collect, gentlemen.

This is a phenomenal idea, btw (and oil companies would only be second in line to Big Coal to block it).

Exactly, it's the old disease & cure adage. The disease is reliance on fossil fuel and solar energy is the cure. More $ in treatment than the cure.

This would be a great idea. I just don't see energy companies letting it happen. The voting public would have to spot the assholes fighting it and make sure they never see office again.

all we need to do is let the power companies do it, not the administration. Just think if you were the electric company and you could provide all the power you provide today and not have to purchase coal or oil. Profit would be insane.

WSS

I wonder if the costs to install these would be merely prohibitive or exceedingly prohibitive?

Depends on whether they are manufactured in China or the United States in a union shop with a government subsidy.

For home use it would have to be pretty reasonable since I think what electric bill is usually well less than a hundred bucks a month.

I also wonder about how durable they would be here in an Ohio winter.

As it is we are constantly doing major repairs to something as simple as gravel and asphalt.

I would hope that the generated power would offset d building and maintenance cost.

WSS

Depends on whether they are manufactured in China or the United States in a union shop with a government subsidy.

For home use it would have to be pretty reasonable since I think what electric bill is usually well less than a hundred bucks a month.

I also wonder about how durable they would be here in an Ohio winter.

As it is we are constantly doing major repairs to something as simple as gravel and asphalt.

I would hope that the generated power would offset d building and maintenance cost.

WSS

Exactly. How do these react to 6 tons of salt every winter?

Exactly. How do these react to 6 tons of salt every winter?

Well in the video they suggest that these things generate heat and keep the snow and ice melted. It would be cool if it worked.

I was thinking more of the durability factor in terms of cracking and breaking and potholes. Maybe because the temperature would eliminate that problem?

Hard to a Magin it generating enough heat how to bypass 15 below...

WSS

Yeah, Im sure these things will have some durability issues.

But the roof's: Why don't the giant ass Data farms place these on their roofs? They are energy HOGS and this would benefit their bottom line tremendously (not to mention help the environment, and consumers).

They said these panels can meet all of the various standards and regulations.

Also, as fae as changing temperatures, I'm guessing these panels have more give in them and are less brittle than concrete. You'd be surprised at how durable plastic can be.

And if one does break, you just replace it. No traffic jam inducing road work