THE BROWNS BOARD

Solar FREAKIN' Roadways!

8 hours ago, htownbrown said:

I'll give you 2 scenarios Woody and you pick one because I have a gun to your head or something.

A)  Building a massive solar panel highway when we have all the wrinkles worked out.

B ) Give a massive tax break to home owners that install solar panels right now.

Be as practical as you possibly can be.  Don't just say some shit to win an argument.

Sorry to butt in I know you asked Woody but keep in mind the law of unexpected consequences. Everybody in America install solar panels and switches over to LED lighting which sounds great and would really cut down on the need for other forms of electric production. In turn that takes billions out of the economy that used to go to the old electric companies. Perhaps the solar panel industry can absorb the workers and the shift of Revenue  or perhaps not.

(My personal opinion is that things change and they will settle out on their own as time goes on)

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Sorry to butt in I know you asked Woody but keep in mind the law of unexpected consequences. Everybody in America install solar panels and switches over to LED lighting which sounds great and would really cut down on the need for other forms of electric production. In turn that takes billions out of the economy that used to go to the old electric companies. Perhaps the solar panel industry can absorb the workers and the shift of Revenue  or perhaps not.

(My personal opinion is that things change and they will settle out on their own as time goes on)

WSS

Depends on if people save the money they're now saving, or if they spend it. 

Marginal propensity to save vs marginal propensity to consume. 

That money wouldn't go back into traditional electricity production but it could go back into the economy

9 hours ago, htownbrown said:

I'll give you 2 scenarios Woody and you pick one because I have a gun to your head or something.

A)  Building a massive solar panel highway when we have all the wrinkles worked out.

B ) Give a massive tax break to home owners that install solar panels right now.

Be as practical as you possibly can be.  Don't just say some shit to win an argument.

You're telling me to not just say some shit to win an argument but you've posed a loaded question with only two answers designed to help you with an argument ...

I would look at both because I think alternative energy production is critical. We should be putting more energy toward it (pun intended) but we have our political system, lobbyists, etc. 

There should be tax breaks to encourage consumers to put solar panels on their homes. But that is small compared to what we can get out of our roadways and much less permanent. It would also rely on the consumer investing. 

We should continue to invest in and improve the technology of solar panel roadways. Once they're worked out we should start implementing. Just not in a cloudy area or under trees. And if we try again and fail, so be it. As long as we learn from that failure

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You're telling me to not just say some shit to win an argument but you've posed a loaded question with only two answers designed to help you with an argument ...

I would look at both because I think alternative energy production is critical. We should be putting more energy toward it (pun intended) but we have our political system, lobbyists, etc. 

There should be tax breaks to encourage consumers to put solar panels on their homes. But that is small compared to what we can get out of our roadways and much less permanent. It would also rely on the consumer investing. 

We should continue to invest in and improve the technology of solar panel roadways. Once they're worked out we should start implementing. Just not in a cloudy area or under trees. And if we try again and fail, so be it. As long as we learn from that failure

So we're all awful scientists for giving up on the Carnot Engine?  Like I say, try to be practical sometimes.

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

No problem.  I'm glad someone could answer the question.

On a side note, it's pretty interesting rereading this old thread to see how far the conversational decorum of the pol board has eroded in just 5 years short years. Not to mention, seeing some former regular posters (Legacy Fan, gftChris, Osiris) that quit the board for various reasons. 

tenor.gif.47733d0fbade51a44d7e261244b7e4cc.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

On a side note, it's pretty interesting rereading this old thread to see how far the conversational decorum of the pol board has eroded in just 5 years short years. Not to mention, seeing some former regular posters (Legacy Fan, gftChris, Osiris) that quit the board for various reasons. 

tenor.gif.47733d0fbade51a44d7e261244b7e4cc.gif

I was thinking the same thing. What a shame

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

lol

two choices and woody can't pick one.

woodpecker has no opinion. He just bitches about other's opinions.

And your qualifications here are.....?

Not saying this is my field, but it's closer than most things on here.

I'd rather keep an actual discussion going with H then have you chime in just to try and insult me.

3 hours ago, htownbrown said:

So we're all awful scientists for giving up on the Carnot Engine?  Like I say, try to be practical sometimes.

My job is to be practical and work around constraints. 

God I hated thermo. Isn't the Carnot Engine more just an ideal state? Something we'd be working towards through normal technology advancement? Help refresh me (honestly)

43 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

And your qualifications here are.....?

Not saying this is my field, but it's closer than most things on here.

I'd rather keep an actual discussion going with H then have you chime in just to try and insult me.

yet, it's true - you didn't decide, you just said you chose both choices. I couldn't care less to insult you, you insult yourself with your

ignorant posts. BTW, everybody on this forum can see that even just this month, there's a few times you ended up ridiculing the story about how I n early died as kid.

"magic donkey". ?  That is you in a nutshell. You are ignorant, have no stories about your life to share, you just attack, and insult.

If Chico hadn't come from over on the hill, from the barn, down to the ravine, and right down to nuzzling me with his soft white nose, I would have died all alone.

You ridiculed it immediately, and you have done it twice just this past month, and I told that story how many years ago?

That's lower than you and jblew whining about how the discourse doesn't suit you these days.

Once again, you get crap, not only from me, but others, because you start it.

You sadly play victim when this is you to cause your own troubles:

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Depends on if people save the money they're now saving, or if they spend it. 

I would guess most people would blow it. Which is a double edged sword. Wrapping up consumer spending does spur the economy. On the other hand it's no damn good for the bottom line once you get past your Prime working years.

Marginal propensity to save vs marginal propensity to consume. 

That money wouldn't go back into traditional electricity production but it could go back into the economy

yes but the electric companies are part of the economy. And a big chunk of what people invest in which is also a huge part of the economy.   no doubt the revenue will find its way somewhere oh, I just wonder where. Investment income is important. 

WSS