THE BROWNS BOARD

Solar FREAKIN' Roadways!

Oh, I that he meant the bottom.

I was thinking the bottom of the panel would Neva similar material I'm strength and durability to the top. There wouldn't be a need for transparency as well, so you'd have more options (and cheaper)

The surface below the panels wouldn't be exposed to the elements. It would also be exposed to less wear.

Obviously there can still be some tweaks and design changes, but it seems like this is very practical. It would be cool to saw some actual studies and data on the panels though. Stress testing and stuff like that

Lol, Woody not the bottom of the panel, Einstein. The actual road surface. And no it would not be the same as the top, that's the pricy part.

How is the top not the same as the road surface? I think the top layer has been tested thoroughly enough that as a proof of concept, it works fine. Sure, it's been tested in warm weather, so the snow melting capacity hasn't been exposed to Alaskan conditions, and that's something they'll need to do.

As for the cracks/potholes, I think it's a lot less likely than in a tarmac/concrete road. Whereas that is one rigid inflexible slab, this would be a series of individual components that are themselves relatively flexible and the connections probably make the whole thing a lot more flexible. Potentially a factor when thinking about paving in earthquake prone areas I guess.

I am now reading they have gotten 1 million in funding.

One estimate pegs the total cost to repave every road in the U.S. with panels at $56 trillion, or about four times the country’s national debt. That's according to Aaron Saenz, writing for the site Singularity hub.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/30/solar-roadways-indiegogo_n_5416811.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep4L18zOEYI#t=27

This shit is becoming more and more awesome.

What they need, is solar panels on leaves of trees.Billions of trees.

That way, they could use co2, put out breathable air again, AND

make all sorts of electricity ! And Shade to help global cooling and warming !

But they still have to stop destroying the earth's virgin rain forests....

I predict this will never happen. It would take decades to finish and a fortune. Not to mention the theft. There is a huge problem with theft of copper piping/wires all over the bigger cities. Can you imagine the theft that would occur with these panels?

Well I can only hope that people with your mindset are not in charge of its implementation (or deciding if it will be implemented).

The whole thing sounds like a fantastic idea and will serve as a solution to our looming energy problem. Moving the technology forward and fixing any various issues that come up just sounds like a really interesting engineering problem. All about that problem solving man.

If this is going to happen, you have to start somewhere.

Yes, the tech is awesome.

But practical? Maybe in time, but the expense

will be enormous. But conductive polymers have

been coming for many years now, and the tech is still

developing.

But solar panel roads is pretty cool an idea.

The amount of tech to make the road panels UV stabilized for decades, and

tough enough to handle traffic and extreme cold and hot temps, and replacing

damaged panels....

That's a lot to ask, and the cost is pretty prohibitive on a grand scale.

Since we are already in serious national debt.

Well sure it won't happen in our lifetime or probably our childrens life time. Go back two hundred years and tell somebody we could fly to Mars. They didn't even fucking know where Mars was exactly. Technology is snowballing so quickly we have no idea what will be possible in 100 years.

WSS

Well sure it won't happen in our lifetime or probably our childrens life time. Go back two hundred years and tell somebody we could fly to Mars. They didn't even fucking know where Mars was exactly. Technology is snowballing so quickly we have no idea what will be possible in 100 years.

WSS

The second half of your post makes the first line in you post to be untrue.

Who knows the technology that will be invented over the next two generations. We could develop some breakthrough in the production of these panels and the cost could go way down.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

That's a bad title. It didn't prove it's a bad idea. 

We tried, there were failures, and now we can learn from those failures moving forward. How can we make them more durable? What environmental constraints are there? Etc.

If anyone is taking this and just quitting that's sad. 

If anyone is taking this and saying we should just quit, while also claiming to be something like an engineer or a scientist, they must be terrible at their jobs. 

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

That's a bad title. It didn't prove it's a bad idea. 

We tried, there were failures, and now we can learn from those failures moving forward. How can we make them more durable? What environmental constraints are there? Etc.

If anyone is taking this and just quitting that's sad. 

If anyone is taking this and saying we should just quit, while also claiming to be something like an engineer or a scientist, they must be terrible at their jobs. 

Funny.  I would say any engineer or scientist that thinks we'll be using roads the way we do now in 60 years, has absolutely no vision.

43 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

Funny.  I would say any engineer or scientist that thinks we'll be using roads the way we do now in 60 years, has absolutely no vision.

Not exactly what we're talking about, but alright.

I wouldn't let some future vision of flying cars, fully automated transport, etc. get in the way of making improvements now

Don't let best get in the way of better

I'll give you 2 scenarios Woody and you pick one because I have a gun to your head or something.

A)  Building a massive solar panel highway when we have all the wrinkles worked out.

B ) Give a massive tax break to home owners that install solar panels right now.

Be as practical as you possibly can be.  Don't just say some shit to win an argument.

• Upvote 1