THE BROWNS BOARD

Here Come The Suspensions....

miktoxic

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what he said right after being selected by us.

"Despite everything I've been through, despite being a kid with a spotty background, the Cleveland Browns stuck their neck out and risked taking me and put their faith and belief in me, and I won't let them down," Gordon said in a phone interview with the Cleveland media after Thursday's selection. "I'm grateful, and I know I can't go back to being the person I used to be."

Since then he has been suspended for 2 games, fined 4 game checks for failed tests, now he has failed another test, and while waiting word from the NFL if it will be a year long suspension this go, he is out with his peeps who have pot on their person.

I am afraid this cat isn't going to work out.

I'll wait until the official word comes out 'Peen, but I'm thinking the same way. He hasn't learned from past mistakes.

I'll wait until the official word comes out 'Peen, but I'm thinking the same way. He hasn't learned from past mistakes.

I want to know why it is taking so long for anything to happen. There is obviously some thoughts that he will be suspended, with the wr additions, but how long does it take to appeal or do what ever they have to do to take care of this.

I want to know why it is taking so long for anything to happen. There is obviously some thoughts that he will be suspended, with the wr additions, but how long does it take to appeal or do what ever they have to do to take care of this.

I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning for that as well. I know there will be issues due to the leaking of the suspension but there has to be another reason why this is taking so long.

I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning for that as well. I know there will be issues due to the leaking of the suspension but there has to be another reason why this is taking so long.

Who knows... maybe they had an agreement with Gordon to give him a reduced ban (8 games or something) but then Gordon got pulled over recently so maybe it set back the process? I find it hard to believe he won't get a full year ban given all that has happened. It is obvious to everyone that this kid hasn't taken any of this seriously. I don't know how the NFL could justify being lenient to someone like that. I fear they will throw the book at him.

let's see what happens to irsay. if they really hammer him then no one will be surprised when gordon is gone for the year.

if they come down light on an owner and toss gordon people will flip.

i think the office (NFL) is weighing that very carefully.

I'll wait as well, but this guy is cooked. He has been through this a couple of times in college, and now alomst 2 times in the NFL.

Once suspension becomes official, I think I just cut his butt.

A great talent, but you can't count on him. I move on.

We'll see what happens with the suspension, but after this latest fiasco, he deserves a year (if for nothing other than stupidity). If he gets a year, I think the only way I would keep him is if the Browns paid Chris Carter to give Gordon a harsh kick in the ass with a "reality boot". If left to his own decision making, Gordon is in BIG trouble.

Mike

For some odd reason I don't think they will suspend Gordon for the entire season, because if they were I think they would have by now.

Gordon being pulled over for speeding shouldn't effect their decision on the failed drug test. He wasn't charged with possession of marijuana.

I think they are still trying to decide on how long. You can thank Johnny Football for that. The NFL is a business and offense sells tickets and draws ratings.

The league wants to see the kid play with Manziel. Thats the only logical explanation for this long drawn out wait. Maybe once they announce the starter at QB we will find out. Who knows?

JMHO

(Ex-)Giants safety Will Hill was only suspended 6 games. What's the chance Gordon is only gone for half the season?

yeah but what is hill's track record with positive tests and suspensions compared to gordon? that's what you've got to look at.

(Ex-)Giants safety Will Hill was only suspended 6 games. What's the chance Gordon is only gone for half the season?

this will be gordon's second failed test (pissd or not) whereas it was hill's 3rd and he only got 6 games?

btw, giants waived hill today.

You can thank Johnny Football for that. The NFL is a business and offense sells tickets and draws ratings.

The league wants to see the kid play with Manziel. Thats the only logical explanation for this long drawn out wait. Maybe once they announce the starter at QB we will find out.

wow. unfugginreal.

Gordon will get the indefinite suspension with a chance to get back in a year IMO. The good thing a bout that is it sets his contract back and we would still have two more years of him on his rookie contract, which is cheap. Tony Grossi says Browns treating it like a player they know won't be available for the year due to injury. Except he comes back 100% healthy and we knew it was coming and were able to sign some vets.

Z

Part of coming back needs to be serious ongoing treatment with prior agreement to major fines for any missed appointments. Major enough that each fine really hurts him financially.He obviously has a major problem.

So is Bin Laden. You're point?

Just a knee-jerk post. There was no point... just as there was no thought.

Seems likely to me that it is just not a clear cut violation... that there are extenuating circumstances.

Part of coming back needs to be serious ongoing treatment with prior agreement to major fines for any missed appointments. Major enough that each fine really hurts him financially.He obviously has a major problem.

Counseling? Yes.

Contract clauses? Yes.

But major problem? No, at this point I do not see that as obvious at all. Per the above, I have to believe that if he had a "major problem", then the verdict would already be in.

it's to the point where gordon has to cut ties with all his running buddies, go into long-term treatment and have a contract laden with risk management clauses. hey if he turns it around and does all that then fine. the first time he gets pulled over and he's hanging out with a weed buddy (i'm sure they know who his peeps are) he gets nothing except a quick boot out the door.

Chris Carter says dope is more important to Gordon than football.

Probably should be a year, or he won't get the message.

What an idiot.

http://nesn.com/2014/06/cris-carter-on-josh-gordon-drug-use-more-important-than-anything-else/

it's to the point where gordon has to cut ties with all his running buddies, go into long-term treatment and have a contract laden with risk management clauses. hey if he turns it around and does all that then fine. the first time he gets pulled over and he's hanging out with a weed buddy (i'm sure they know who his peeps are) he gets nothing except a quick boot out the door.

That I will agree with Mik. Even if he "thinks' he he'll be able to not partake, it does him no good at this point to be hanging out with guys who do.

Chris Carter says dope is more important to Gordon than football.

Probably should be a year, or he won't get the message.

What an idiot.

http://nesn.com/2014/06/cris-carter-on-josh-gordon-drug-use-more-important-than-anything-else/

Nice article Cal. to quote Carter- Josh has got to come to him, not the other way around.

“If the building is on fire and the person decides to stay in there, I don’t run in there and get him out,” Carter said. “If you see them breaking the glass, if you see them struggling and trying to get out — that’s my analogy of how I help out the guys in the league and the kids that really, really need help.”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/06/cris-carter-on-josh-gordon-drug-use-more-important-than-anything-else/

One other thought on the delay... given the circumstances around his passenger in the traffic stop, it seems plausible that the league, if not the team, pulled the trigger on a "for cause" drug test. We could be awaiting the results of that test, or its confirming split.

It absolutly is a major problem. How is getting kicked off two teams and suspended twice by the NFL not a major problem?

Hello!

You are not describing a personal problem which is what my post was about. You are describing consequences that impact the individual and the team. Yes, the consequences are a major PITA for all concerned.

If Gordon had a chronic, i.e., major, problem such as a psychological addiction to weed, then he would never pass a piss test. Instead what we have is a series of discrete, events including:

- a failed marijuana test in college;

- a failed codeine test in the pros; and

- a failed test of as yet unknown detail in the pros.

If you want to toss in two "guilt-by-association" possession charges, that's your call. As of now, I give them no weight. However, if there turns out to be a failed, for-cause test stemming from this latest incident, then I'll join you.

It absolutly is a major problem. How is getting kicked off two teams and suspended twice by the NFL not a major problem?

Hello!

I'm with you...it is a major problem. If he's suspended for the year, I'm cutting his ass and moving on.

I'm with you...it is a major problem. If he's suspended for the year, I'm cutting his ass and moving on.

If he's suspended for a year, his contract gets voided for that year, so when he's back we get him for two years on his rookie contract. If I'm GM, I basically plan for life without him, then make use of him when he's not suspended - at $800k this year, it's not a big expense.

If he's suspended for a year, his contract gets voided for that year, so when he's back we get him for two years on his rookie contract. If I'm GM, I basically plan for life without him, then make use of him when he's not suspended - at $800k this year, it's not a big expense.

yes, this is what the browns should do. i know i said i'd cut him but then the browns get no recovery and nothing for giving this kid a shot in the first place. and like many of us have said, you know as soon as he decides to cut the ties with the weed and the people involved with it and takes his supension and goes to treatment, it'd be our luck to cut him, he gets signed by whoever and has a hall of fame career.

at this point it won't be costing the browns anything except a spot on the 'unable to perform" list (or whatever it's called) and no money going his way. why not wait out the year or whatever it turns out to be?

One other thought on the delay... given the circumstances around his passenger in the traffic stop, it seems plausible that the league, if not the team, pulled the trigger on a "for cause" drug test. We could be awaiting the results of that test, or its confirming split.

You are not describing a personal problem which is what my post was about. You are describing consequences that impact the individual and the team. Yes, the consequences are a major PITA for all concerned.

If Gordon had a chronic, i.e., major, problem such as a psychological addiction to weed, then he would never pass a piss test. Instead what we have is a series of discrete, events including:

- a failed marijuana test in college;

- a failed codeine test in the pros; and

- a failed test of as yet unknown detail in the pros.

If you want to toss in two "guilt-by-association" possession charges, that's your call. As of now, I give them no weight. However, if there turns out to be a failed, for-cause test stemming from this latest incident, then I'll join you.

You are making excuses for the guy. I don't care what your views on pot are.....but it is crazy to say it isn't a major problem when your actions start causing you to lose employment.

How is that not a BIG problem? It's like you are telling me and others that robbing banks isn't a problem. Only the consequences of getting caught are the problem.

I don't think smoking weed is the worst thing in the world....unless you are in a job that doesn't allow it and tests for it....then it

is a pretty big problem.

I agree. His "friends" are probably mostly the cause of his trouble. Shame Josh is throwing it away for a thug mentality.

Archived