THE BROWNS BOARD

Anybody really think a baker should be forced to make

calfoxwc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize part of their faith includes not baking cakes for homosexuals.

Part of me wants to say the can do whatever they choose, but then I think how is that any different from refusing a black person? Don't Mormons think dark skin comes from being cursed? Could they not refuse to serve curses people?

Whatever the case, if they refuse (and aren't somewhere like the deep south) thee will be fallout.

its more than just bad press if this is the case you are citing?

thought police and christian bullying to get in line with the LGBT agenda...

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/06/03/baker-forced-to-make-gay-wedding-cakes-undergo-sensitivity-training-after/

A family owned bakery has been ordered to make wedding cakes for gay couples and guarantee that its staff be given comprehensive training on Colorado’s anti-discrimination laws after the state’s Civil Rights Commission determined the Christian baker violated the law by refusing to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, in Lakewood, Colorado was directed to change his store policies immediately and force his staff to attend the training sessions. For the next two years, Phillips will also be required to submit quarterly reports to the commission to confirm that he has not turned away customers based on their sexual orientation.

is the next step forfieture like Don Sterling?

Part of me wants to say the can do whatever they choose, but then I think how is that any different from refusing a black person? Don't Mormons think dark skin comes from being cursed? Could they not refuse to serve curses people?

Whatever the case, if they refuse (and aren't somewhere like the deep south) thee will be fallout.

There certainly will But what if they weren't even religious? You forget that when gay marriage actually came up for a vote it was defeated soundly even in states that voted for John Kerry. What if its just someone who doesn't feel comfortable with homosexuals? And again what would you say about the black bakery refusing to bake cookies for the Ku Klux Klan?

WSS

M&M isn't refusing them service. They just want them to change the word on an m&m. I'm don't really agree with Mars here, but it isn't the same thing.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/06/03/baker-forced-to-make-gay-wedding-cakes-undergo-sensitivity-training-after/

A family owned bakery has been ordered to make wedding cakes for gay couples and guarantee that its staff be given comprehensive training on Colorado’s anti-discrimination laws after the state’s Civil Rights Commission determined the Christian baker violated the law by refusing to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, in Lakewood, Colorado was directed to change his store policies immediately and force his staff to attend the training sessions. For the next two years, Phillips will also be required to submit quarterly reports to the commission to confirm that he has not turned away customers based on their sexual orientation.

The couple shouldn't be forced to go to training or any other nonsense. I don't agree with them but it isn't illegal to be a backwards moron. I certainly don't think the government should be forcing them to serve particular customers if they don't want to.

Don Sterling signed into a business deal with the NBA that had morals clauses. They did that to prevent damage to revenues of the league. He said something dumb and it cost him. The slug who recorded him isn't any better.

They shouldn't be allowed to refuse service to someone based on their race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation. They shouldn't be able to hide behind religion here either.

Everyone missed this paragraph in the story....

Meanwhile, the bullying tactics of the militant gay rights community have not hampered the bakery’s bottom line. They’ve gotten so much business from the sales of cookies and brownies, they’ve temporarily stopped making wedding cakes.

The dude may not even have to bake cakes anymore, and don't any of you libtards woody tell me the govt should force him to bake cakes...or I'm gonna sue a Muslim owned deli for refusing to make me a ham sandwich.

New business rule of thumb..Need your business to improve?...say or do something perceived as "anti gay."

See Chick-fil-a.

Or say something racist and get way more for your business than it's worth lol.

Sterling selling the Clippers for a record $2 billion is it?

Uh no dim wit...his faith tells him its wrong to partake in a gay ceremony or celebration.

A wedding cake is a symbol..a part of the ceremony.

He would have no problem selling gays cookies or pastries.

Hope that helped clear things up for you.

Its sad that you can refuse service to a gay person, and then get a boost in business from all of the good "Christians". Its like buying cookies from there is a way to prove themselves.

A lot of you are confusing refusing service to someone and just not offering a certain thing. A Muslim deli has no requirement to make pork products. They aren't refusing you service by saying they can't make you a ham sandwich. At the same time refusing to make something for one group, but you'll make it for every other group, well that sounds like discrimination.

It would be great if you could just say every business can do whatever they wants, but there are a lot of areas in the country where that would completely cripple some groups ability to live there. If we did the same thing with race, there would be areas in the South that would have probably never stopped segregating.

I don't believe his racist comments made the team more valuable...

Uh no dim wit...his faith tells him its wrong to partake in a gay ceremony or celebration.

A wedding cake is a symbol..a part of the ceremony.

He would have no problem selling gays cookies or pastries.

Hope that helped clear things up for you.

But he wouldn't make them cookies if they were going to be served at the wedding?

I didn't realize making the cake was considered "partaking" in a gay ceremony, lol. But hell, the Bible has been rewritten and edited so many times, you can probably find whatever you want to in there.

a wedding cake to a gay couple?

I mean, really?

Nobody should be *forced* to do anything. But they should damn well be prepared for a backlash against them if they refuse to serve people based on things like sexuality, race, gender, age etc.

The backlash against Leroy's Soul (love it) for not baking little KKKakes is probably going to be zero within the national community - I'm sure in some places over there blacks are still seen as second class - as opposed to people refusing to bake for gays (which sounds like a charity event - "bake for gays")

so why does the "backlash" include legal impugnity?

should be just loss of a certain customer base - now it could be loss of your entire business.

Because it's now illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of their sexuality (along with race, gender etc).

Which does belie the statement that "nobody should be *forced* to do anything."

Unless you are opposed to the law.

WSS

I'm torn on it. I can imagine a scenario where some ex-con, rapist guy comes in to my bakery, and I don't want to serve him. But then the law says he's been through prison and served his time, so should be treated as a regular member of society. I wouldn't want to lose my business because of it.

For example, if Nigel Farage (leader of UKIP, very racist/bigoted party gaining traction here) came in to my pub, I wouldn't want to serve him. But can you really refuse service based on political affiliation?

On the other hand, the whole gay thing doesn't bother me, and most people in my generation are fine with it. It's one thing that will probably just die out with the older generation like my grandparents, and to a lesser extent my parents (who grew up in the 60s/70s and probably are ok with pretty much anything like that), so in 50 years, this won't even be a discussion.

"the whole gay thing" doesn't bother me either however I don't think the opposition to homosexuality as much to do with religion or politics or even generation or anything else. I think the basis is human nature and straight males, whether or not they support the gay agenda, are probably almost all appalled by the idea of sexual contact with a man. Sure somebody is going to chirp they wouldn't want to have sex with an ugly woman but of course that's not close to the same thing. I imagine most of us have been with a woman we consider beneath our station but I can't imagine any of us waking up shaking his head and chuckling over an evening of sodomy. People will always disliked other people and we'll find reasons to do it. I personally think that making any minority a special class of people enforcing loss in which others must defer to them is a bad idea. Balkanization always leads to discontent.

I've said often that if we are free we should be free to be assholes. If there were a shop that refused to serve homosexuals or Negroes or Muslims or Catholics I'd probably find somewhere else to shop.

Then again I would resent being forced to serve the Ku Klux Klan or the Black Panthers or al Qaeda or NAMBLA

WSS

I've said often that if we are free we should be free to be assholes. If there were a shop that refused to serve homosexuals or Negroes or Muslims or Catholics I'd probably find somewhere else to shop.

Sad thing is, if people were free to be assholes like that, we'd basically end up back with a segregated community again.

Sad thing is, if people were free to be assholes like that, we'd basically end up back with a segregated community again.

And maybe it sounds strange coming from me, whom most of you guys think is far to the right, I don't think that's true.

I assume the huge majority of people are okay with anybody as long as they are cool. And think about it. You don't like segregation??? From the black Congressional Caucus to the NAACP to the black student unions to the black United students organizations in every college across the United States to the black prom a or the black Miss America or the black this or the black that that are raking in profits for race baiting entrepreneurs? That doesn't lead to segregation in your mind? Please.

WSS

Archived