THE BROWNS BOARD

TEAM AMERICA: World Cup

MLD Woody

That was hard to watch. Our sidebacks were awful, especially Beasley, and I'm not looking forward to him matching up against Nani or Ronaldo. Bradley needed to wake the fuck up because he was awful too. Jermaine Jones played lights out. Tim Howard let in an easy near post goal, but it was one-on-one, and his play kept us in the game as usual - the guy's in the top 5 keepers. Sucks to see Altidore go out like that, but hopefully Johannsen steps up as he'll be getting some first team reps in practice.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.

Z

I know you're being facetious, but you're god damn right it is a proud day. This small African nation sent us packing from the last two World Cups, and they're ranked better than we are.

I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.

Z

Yea, but the guy that took the knee to the nose, which was broken, sucked it up and stayed in the game.

But, I agree, US soccer players should not be the preening pansies they are everywhere else on the globe. You don't flop, you don't whine, you don't cry. You don't act like a fucking drama queen. You are an American athlete....act like one. Dempsey, the guy with the broken nose, did so. Not sure about the other guy. I wasn't watching it then ..I hadn't gotten home from work yet. But even if he was legitimately hurt, which I don't doubt....a gurney for a hamstring pull? You walk off with the limp...or you get a couple of teammates to help you off while you lean on their shoulders.

Even though they won, even I, with my non soccer background, could tell that it looked like the US Soccer team was playing sluggish. They seemed overall slower than the other team. And they seemed sloppy...always losing possession. And it seemed that for most of the game that I saw, (which was maybe a half to 2/3rds of it) it was Ghana that seem to press the action. They seemed more aggressive. The US seemed to a great extent to just want to do a 4 corners act after they got that first goal very early on.

I mean, is that a strategy? Get a goal in the first minute of the game and then play prevent defense for the other 90+ minutes. It seemed like that is what they were attempting.

Those of you with more intimate knowledge of the sport, please advise if I am off base here. Was that the strategy...or was the US just more affected by the heat and humidity than the other team?

I didn't watch the game (it kicked off at 11pm last night), but that's not something I've read in any reports here. USA got an early goal, then Ghana were the better team for large parts, while USA tired in the second half. Ghana got the equaliser, and it looked like they would be the team most likely to get the winner, but then the young lad popped up with a header from a corner and that was all she wrote.

Yea, but the guy that took the knee to the nose, which was broken, sucked it up and stayed in the game.

But, I agree, US soccer players should not be the preening pansies they are everywhere else on the globe. You don't flop, you don't whine, you don't cry. You don't act like a fucking drama queen. You are an American athlete....act like one. Dempsey, the guy with the broken nose, did so. Not sure about the other guy. I wasn't watching it then ..I hadn't gotten home from work yet. But even if he was legitimately hurt, which I don't doubt....a gurney for a hamstring pull? You walk off with the limp...or you get a couple of teammates to help you off while you lean on their shoulders.

For the most part, the hold-your-face-and-roll around flopping doesn't happen too much on the US side compared to the rest of the world, especially Central American and African teams, imo. That being said, I've seen Dempsey flop more than anyone else on our team.

Even though they won, even I, with my non soccer background, could tell that it looked like the US Soccer team was playing sluggish. They seemed overall slower than the other team. And they seemed sloppy...always losing possession. And it seemed that for most of the game that I saw, (which was maybe a half to 2/3rds of it) it was Ghana that seem to press the action. They seemed more aggressive. The US seemed to a great extent to just want to do a 4 corners act after they got that first goal very early on.

I mean, is that a strategy? Get a goal in the first minute of the game and then play prevent defense for the other 90+ minutes. It seemed like that is what they were attempting.

Those of you with more intimate knowledge of the sport, please advise if I am off base here. Was that the strategy...or was the US just more affected by the heat and humidity than the other team?

Your first paragraph sums up the game aptly.

Altidore and Dempsey both getting hurt disrupted the rhythm of the offense. To further compound this problem, Bradley had one of the worst games of his career, imo. This had a huge impact as Bradley is usually heavily involved as we bring the ball upfield. Unfortunately for the team, his passes were way off, his runs off the ball were non-existent, and it resulted in turnovers and a stagnant offense. I don't necessarily think that a prevent defense was the strategy, rather poor play from the defense and midfield which resulted in Ghana's offense teeing off against Howard.

The most important stat, they won. Their defense is ranked in the top 10. Probably the best goalie. If they can get the players that were hurt back, they have a good chance.

What a game. I can't believe people are not watching it.

FYI, it got a 7.0 rating. NBA Finals Game 5 got a 6.8.

You guys are gay.

Uhh, no. The article I saw says that the Nielsen ratings for USA-Ghana were 7.0, but for Spurs-Heat is was 11.7.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-tv-ratings-nba-finals-20140616-story.html

That trend continued on Monday, when the Ghana-USA broadcast on ESPN earned an 11.8 overnight rating in the Washington market, the highest number in the country by quite a bit. New York (10.2), Hartford/New Haven (10.1), Boston (10.0) Columbus (8.9) and Baltimore (8.7) rounded out the top six.

'Murica

But hell, look at some of the "American Athletes" in the NBA. They need that little pep talk more than these guys. Flopping or exaggerating fouls happens in every sport, even football.

I was too busy celebrating and nursing a hang over today to post about our game but I will now.

Great start, great finish, everything else sucked. Our midfield couldn't keep possession to save their life. I honestly think they should move Beasley to the mid because he was the only one to sustain possession for most of the match, plus he was awful on D. (Did y'all see him get his ankles broke in the first half?)

As stated in previous post, Bradley played like complete shit. It wouldn't have shocked me if he got pulled if we didn't have the early injuries. Dempsey is a badass but that goes without saying. I feel bad for Altidore. As for the stretcher, they bring it out for all legit injuries, he didn't have a choice in the matter.

All in all, I would say it was a disappointing win, especially in comparison to watching Germany play the best game of the tournament earlier. Thankfully Portugal is depleted but they are going to be pissed. I'm not sure if a draw is going to be good enough against them. I see Portugal beating Ghana in their third game as Ghana should be coming off a loss to Germany and all but eliminated. I don't like our chances against Germany obviously.

We need a W fellas. It doesn't have to be pretty. I want to advance damn it.

So far our team has flopped the least in this tournament, something I'm incredibly proud of. Altidore being taken out on a stretcher is how FIFA and professional soccer in general deal with legit injuries. I have no doubt Altidore would've preferred to walk off under his own power but he didn't have a choice in the matter. Bitching about that is akin to bitching about an NFL player missing a play so the doctors can check for a concussion. It's protocol, the players have no choice in the matter.

Although I'll admit, if he shoved the doctors (or whatever personal was manning the stretcher) away to walk off under his own power, it would rank right up there with my "Proudest to be an American Moments." Regardless of our end result, that would've been the image of the tournament.

'Murica

But hell, look at some of the "American Athletes" in the NBA. They need that little pep talk more than these guys. Flopping or exaggerating fouls happens in every sport, even football.

Perhaps it does to a bit. But the soccer players make an art form of it.....and practice their art constantly it seems.

So far our team has not flopped the least in this tournament, something I'm incredibly proud of. Altidore being taken out on a stretcher is how FIFA and professional soccer in general deal with legit injuries. I have no doubt Altidore would've preferred to walk off under his own power but he didn't have a choice in the matter. Bitching about that is akin to bitching about an NFL player missing a play so the doctors can check for a concussion. It's protocol, the players have no choice in the matter.

Although I'll admit, if he shoved the doctors (or whatever personal was manning the stretcher) away to walk off under his own power, it would rank right up there with my "Proudest to be an American Moments." Regardless of our end result, that would've been the image of the tournament.

Well, if it is protocol and mandatory that he be carried off, then so be it. It is still a bad look.

Well, if it is protocol and mandatory that he be carried off, then so be it. It is still a bad look.

It's a precaution, if there's a strain or slight tear, you want it to get looked at on the sidelines or in the locker room without exacerbating it.

Tim Cahill!!!

OK, what is with just barking out random names? Is that just cathartic?

Bob Dobalito!!!

Elmer Fudd!!!

Marge Gunderson!!!

Bela Lugosi!!!

Jackson Brown!!!

JoJo Starbuck!!

Baron Hengiss Potsdam!!!

You know, it does feel kinda good.

So far our team has flopped the least in this tournament, something I'm incredibly proud of. Altidore being taken out on a stretcher is how FIFA and professional soccer in general deal with legit injuries. I have no doubt Altidore would've preferred to walk off under his own power but he didn't have a choice in the matter. Bitching about that is akin to bitching about an NFL player missing a play so the doctors can check for a concussion. It's protocol, the players have no choice in the matter.

Yeah, I was going to say WTF about Altidore getting carted off on a stretcher for a hamstring pull till I saw the explanation. Crap Bernie Kosar limped off the field with a broken leg- you'd never see an NFL player call for the golf cart with just a hammie.

I've sort of gotten used to the flopping- but man, for the most part is it ever bad acting.

OK, what is with just barking out random names? Is that just cathartic?

You know, it does feel kinda good.

Cahill scored one of the goals of the world cup - and not just this world cup, when you run down the top 10 goals of any world cup, it'll be in there.

Casillas is just being abused.

Hasn't he been on sabbatical or out with injury or something?

He's not first choice for Real Madrid anymore, he got dropped by Mourinho and Ancelotti has kept it that way.

Archived