THE BROWNS BOARD

TEAM AMERICA: World Cup

MLD Woody

So Belgium, Argentina, The Netherlands, and France are all that lies between us and the title. Hrmph.

Belgium are beatable, but will be very tough. After that you don't have much hope I'm afraid :( France won't get past Germany IMO.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly people will be neutral and root against teams they don't like, rather than adopt a new team. If a new team is adopted, it'll be the 'trendy' pick - which at this world cup is either Belgium or Colombia. Teams we don't want to see win it (and the stereotypical racism associated therewith)- Germany (fucking Nazis), Argentina (falklands and maradona's cheating scum hand of god), France (arrogant twats who banned our beef).

Belgium are beatable, but will be very tough. After that you don't have much hope I'm afraid :( France won't get past Germany IMO.

France and Belgium have been playing lights out. Germany not so much. It's either gonna be France or Brazil from that side of the bracket.

That was nerve racking and I didn't even care about the two teams lol

My uneducated thinking on the Brazil- Chile match. If you're going to play all that time, and go down to penalty kicks- at least make it like tennis- you gotta win by 2.

US coming out in a 4-3-3, love it.

Some explanation -

4 defenders, 3 midfielders, 3 attackers

With Altidore in the lineup we started in a 4-4-2. As he was injured for the next two games, we played in a 4-5-1, which is a much more defensive-minded formation.

Today, we're putting 3 guys up top, and hopefully it translates to more scoring chances.

I'm proud of this team. We made it out of the group of death, which is more than just about everyone expected.

As for the game, Belgium just dominated us for the first 90 minutes, and if it wasn't for Howard, it'd have been a blowout. I think Belgium's strategy was brilliant, they correctly bet that they would be able to hold off the US without Altidore attacking. Their best player, Lukaku, sat on the bench until extra time. When he came in, he immediately created two scoring opportunities that sealed the game. Now he's well rested for their matchup with Argentina.

In extra time, the team finally woke up, and Bradley, who is supposed to be the best player on our team, finally made a hell of a pass that found 19 year old, Julian Green in the box. The goal was beautiful, and that kid is the future of this team. Klinsmann deserves some flak for leaving Donovan off the roster - his replacement, Wondolowski, missed a wide open net in extra time of the second half that would have won the game. I think if Donovan's taking that shot, it's a goal. Dempsey had a shit game, and blew two chances, toeing the ball at the keeper in a one-on-one, and not striking the ball as it hit his right foot at the top of the box.

That last attempt by Dempsey right into the keeper, there wasn't too much more he could have done. Especially considering they'd been playing fit so long. He also played out of position every game.

The young guys Klinsman picked played well. The next 4 years of US soccer should be very interesting

Tim Howard doesn't care how many saves he made - "I signed up to do that, to put my face in front of balls"

...nope, nothing remotely funny about that at all...

I essentially saved a shot with my Adam's Apple a few times. I'd take a ball to the face over a ball to the throat any day lol. That shit hurt

I essentially saved a shot with my Adam's Apple a few times. I'd take a ball to the face over a ball to the throat any day lol. That shit hurt

I'd take a shot to the face to stop a goal, regardless. Have done many times, although my goalkeeping days are well behind me (about 10 years behind me!)

Good game USA. For all the people calling soccer "gay", (obviously brainwashed from the executives of the big 3 other sports in the US), more people watched the game then the last game of the nba finals and world series combined.

nothing else to watch. also it's a national team, not just one team from tx and one from fla who people outside those states could give less than a fugg.

gave people a reason to take off work and start drinking at noon.

Good game USA. For all the people calling soccer "gay", (obviously brainwashed from the executives of the big 3 other sports in the US), more people watched the game then the last game of the nba finals and world series combined.

It's always fun to root for the USA, like Mik says, especially when we are an underdog.

The gay part is flopping and writhing in pain anytime someone touches your shoulder. C'mon Man.

I didnt sit through any games but I caught bits and pieces and rooted for the USA.

In the end, they lost two, tied one and beat a small Third World country by one goal.

Still a ways to go.

1980 Hockey Team is still The Great American Sports Story.

Soccer will continue on in the suburbs and the hispanic neighborhoods ... but it wont see my TV for another 4 years.

Z

It's always fun to root for the USA, like Mik says, especially when we are an underdog.

The gay part is flopping and writhing in pain anytime someone touches your shoulder. C'mon Man.

I didnt sit through any games but I caught bits and pieces and rooted for the USA.

In the end, they lost two, tied one and beat a small Third World country by one goal.

Still a ways to go.

1980 Hockey Team is still The Great American Sports Story.

Soccer will continue on in the suburbs and the hispanic neighborhoods ... but it wont see my TV for another 4 years.

Z

your loss

you also will be in a shrinking group

also hard for you to make any comments, when you say you didnt sit through any games...

don't get butthurt. just one guy's opinion.

yes the soccer camp is growing here in the US. how would it not as every fuggin night there is some type of grade school soccer game going on where i live.

i don't watch the games.....i watch the soccer moms,,,,,,,,,from the bushes.

your loss

you also will be in a shrinking group

also hard for you to make any comments, when you say you didnt sit through any games...

Well, that is my comment. As much as I love the whole USA v the World thing, the game itself just doesn't grab me. Not enough to watch an entire game.

Not sure why you take it so personal. Like you said I'm in a shrinking group ... as a die hard Browns fan, I dont mind at all being in a shrinking group, in fact I will wear it like a badge.

I like Football, baseball and basketball. Cant get into soccer. Thats just the way it is.

Wish they would have had better results though ... with the athletes in this country we should be able to beat more than just a tiny third world country.

Z

Archived