THE BROWNS BOARD

Pettine Criticizes Gordon's Effort in Practice

bonedawg

...Sounds about right.

FTA:

The looming potential suspension for Josh Gordon isn't the only concern the Cleveland Browns have for their superstar receiver.

On Tuesday, coach Mike Pettine acknowledged to WKRK-FM that Gordon doesn't always hustle as much as he should in practice.

"It is something we've talked about and from what I understand he's made some improvement, but it is a work in progress," Pettine said, per The Plain Dealer. "I'm a big believer in quality of reps versus quantity of reps. If I'm a player and I know that I'm going to be out there for 40 full-speed team snaps I may have a tendency to pace myself.

"There still needs to be improvement there but we're aware of it."

Gordon wouldn't be the first receiver in NFL history to curb his practice enthusiasm. In Nicholas Dawidoff's book "Collision Low Crossers" on the 2011 New York Jets -- where Pettine was the defensive coordinator -- receiver Santonio Holmes was chided by coaches for not going full-speed in practice.

While Gordon's practice habits are under his future control, the team continues to wait for the hammer to drop on a suspension.

"There's certainly a level of frustration because we've known the news for so long," Pettine told the radio station. "It's just a holding pattern and I understand that the league has a process that they have to go through and there's other things that they're dealing with and we respect that. But at the same time it is difficult because it really will affect our preparation for the season. ... We're prepared for all of the eventualities, but the waiting is difficult."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000357385/article/mike-pettine-criticizes-josh-gordons-practice-effort

don't know what good criticizing players in the media does......unless you're using it as a motivational tool.

pettine had an interview from some radio show played on nfl network this morning where he talked about manziel (yeah they had to drudge up some freaking story for their daily manziel blast) basically saying what manziel does off the field is fine as long as he shows up ready to play blah blah blah.

ok, we all know this, why even flap your gums anymore about it. just say next question please. it's great you want to address every question mike but if you're 0 and 4 out the gate how is that microphone and that reporter going to look to you then?

shut it irene.

pettine... talked about manziel... basically saying what manziel does off the field is fine as long as he shows up ready to play blah blah blah.

So there's a double standard? :)

If he's already talked to Josh and has not seen the improvement he wants, then why not take it to the press?

memories:

"Iverson: If I can't practice, I can't practice man. If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. I mean ... simple as that. It ain't about that... I mean it's... It's not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy ... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not ... Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? ... And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about practice. We're talking about "

don't know what good criticizing players in the media does......unless you're using it as a motivational tool.

pettine had an interview from some radio show played on nfl network this morning where he talked about manziel (yeah they had to drudge up some freaking story for their daily manziel blast) basically saying what manziel does off the field is fine as long as he shows up ready to play blah blah blah.

ok, we all know this, why even flap your gums anymore about it. just say next question please. it's great you want to address every question mike but if you're 0 and 4 out the gate how is that microphone and that reporter going to look to you then?

shut it irene.

Because if a radio personality or media personality asks Pettine about Manziel and he says "I'm not here to talk about Manziel" then we'll have crybabies claiming that there's trouble in paradise and that Pettine not talking about their star QB (because that's exactly what he is) means that he's not very good and was a bust.

Fuck, this fanbase is annoying. You want media attention, then freak out when it's not the attention that you want. Guess what...nobody gives a fuck about Billy Winn, or Tashaun Gipson, or John Greco. Manziel makes headlines. Gordon makes headlines.

Because if a radio personality or media personality asks Pettine about Manziel and he says "I'm not here to talk about Manziel" then we'll have crybabies claiming that there's trouble in paradise and that Pettine not talking about their star QB (because that's exactly what he is) means that he's not very good and was a bust.

Fuck, this fanbase is annoying. You want media attention, then freak out when it's not the attention that you want. Guess what...nobody gives a fuck about Billy Winn, or Tashaun Gipson, or John Greco. Manziel makes headlines. Gordon makes headlines.

dude, are you on your steroid cycle again? wtf? who wants media coverage, you? no one here said it's what the browns want or need. that's out of your mouth.

"this fanbase is annoying" GTFO. someone can't point out wtf they saw on tv today without being biased somehow about manziel? if anyone is annoying it's you. johnny manziel JF is the face of the franchise? josh gordon is the face of the franchise? really? one's about to get suspended for the year and the other is getting beat out of the starting QB position by someone that you say can't play in the league.........mr. fucking know it all.

you're still butt hurt that thigpen will get beat out by another coastal carolina queef and your vaginal mesh surgery was botched.

Well, I think we worry about those game after the whistle blows and the ball is kicked off. In the meantime, no, they don't get attention. Just the way it always is.

oh i get it, and in the past i've cried about it. but it's been during the season when things count. they have game recaps and they do 5 min segments on certain teams and literally a 2 play highlight of the browns game win or lose.

anyone wishing more media attention at this time of year is just stupid. sure we want to know how certain players are doing, injury updates etc. but to have BSPN start off with "jaws what did you see out of manziel in the OTA today?" "who do you think will be the starting QB?" and then go on to the next mini segment about pettine and"how do you think johnny manziel is being handled?"

if there was no JF craze it'd just be another pre-season for the browns which would be quite all right in my book.

dude, are you on your steroid cycle again? wtf? who wants media coverage, you? no one here said it's what the browns want or need. that's out of your mouth.

"this fanbase is annoying" GTFO. someone can't point out wtf they saw on tv today without being biased somehow about manziel? if anyone is annoying it's you. johnny manziel JF is the face of the franchise? josh gordon is the face of the franchise? really? one's about to get suspended for the year and the other is getting beat out of the starting QB position by someone that you say can't play in the league.........mr. fucking know it all.

you're still butt hurt that thigpen will get beat out by another coastal carolina queef and your vaginal mesh surgery was botched.

well we've been screaming for national media coverage for years

we all complain about no media coverage for cleveland.

Yeah, I guess you're right. You haven't been asking for media coverage.

Manziel and Gordon are the faces of the franchise. How many threads are about them on the first page of The Browns Board and how many are about anyone else?

Also, unless you're going to back up your claims with evidence, then don't make them. Is Hoyer beating out Manziel? When did I say Hoyer can't play in the league? And at what point did I bring up Thigpen?

You need a new schtick. You pick one thing and harp on it in every single thread because you don't know enough about anything else to have a full-fledged conversation.

So, let's hear something along the lines of "weed smoke a fatty drink some alcohol fuck coastal carolina fuck manziel you steroid faggot".

Yeah, I guess you're right. You haven't been asking for media coverage.

Manziel and Gordon are the faces of the franchise. How many threads are about them on the first page of The Browns Board and how many are about anyone else?

Also, unless you're going to back up your claims with evidence, then don't make them. Is Hoyer beating out Manziel? When did I say Hoyer can't play in the league? And at what point did I bring up Thigpen?

You need a new schtick. You pick one thing and harp on it in every single thread because you don't know enough about anything else to have a full-fledged conversation.

So, let's hear something along the lines of "weed smoke a fatty drink some alcohol fuck coastal carolina fuck manziel you steroid faggot".

when you learn how to read and comprehend let me know.

weed? faggot? when did i say that?

everything else, yes.

just keeping putting words in people's mouths. seems like that's your schtick.

people cry about lack of media attention all the time.... BSPN...etc

True... but I think what most here have in mind is team coverage not team controversy coverage.

How does this and every other thread on this board get hijacked into a Manziel conversation. I posted the link because I thought it was interesting that our new coach would talk about a specific player's effort to the media. As for the media hype, guess what fuckwits, that's what happens when you have superstars on your team. We've had a team devoid of talent for so long that we forgot what that is like. If Megatron got popped with weed there would be a white hot media spotlight in detroit. As far as Manziel is concerned, right now it is Tebow hype except Manziel's persona is kind of the anti-Tebow. Time will tell if he is any good or not, but Tebow didn't have to be good to garner all of the media attention he got. Gordon plays and Manziel turns out golden all of the hype will be positive. Gordon gets suspended and Manziel busts, the media will just go "lol-browns" and forget about us again. In the meantime, embrace this shit.

So back to the original post.......................... I don't have any issue with some media attention for Cleveland. It is also a no brainer most of that attention, at least for now, will be on Gordon and Manziel. For various reasons that may or may not change soon. I will also point out I like Pettine quite a bit. Having said that I am not a fan of airing personnel issues out publicly. To me issues like that belong in house as there is no benefit to making it public. Just my two cents that are worth about 2.2 Canadian cents today

we're going to be solid with our superstars that we have had before gordon or manziel.

gordon brought attention to the team with his blockbuster year last year. now he brings attention for all the wrong reasons. embrace that?

nah.

we're going to be solid with our superstars that we have had before gordon or manziel.

gordon brought attention to the team with his blockbuster year last year. now he brings attention for all the wrong reasons. embrace that?

nah.

Yeah, we were pretty solid last year and the year before and the year before, right?

nah.

Yeah, all of our other superstars that led us to another 4-12 season.

I wish we had traded Gordon. The guy is lazy....I can deal with that if the game results are good, and he doesn't care about his team. The guy is about to get suspended....he doesn't give a shit about his team. I have a real problem with that.

When ever he come back, I'd trade him for a 5th rounder. He is going to want mega bucks on his next contract, and there is no way I would do that with this cat. He's overpaid as it is. You can't count on him

Is this really the type of attention any Browns fan wants? Our best WR can't stay away from pot, and our new QB could very well go the way of Tebow. C'mon. Having the media turn heads in our direction when these two are on their way to becoming the next Montana and Rice...that's the kind of attention I'd welcome. Until that happens, I'm with mik on this.

Is this really the type of attention any Browns fan wants? Our best WR can't stay away from pot, and our new QB could very well go the way of Tebow. C'mon. Having the media turn heads in our direction when these two are on their way to becoming the next Montana and Rice...that's the kind of attention I'd welcome. Until that happens, I'm with mik on this.

Id love to hear how you think Manziel will become Tebow.

Presumably if Manziel turns out to be shit, and still has people clamouring for him to play? That'd be pretty reminiscent of Tebow.

Not saying it'll happen, but it's hardly impossible either.

That's an abbreviated way of saying he's getting all this attention and hasn't done anything yet in the NFL, and might be a bust. Nothing more.

To be fair, the biggest part of Tebow mania was going on the season after he took the Broncos to the playoffs and had that 85 yard toss to beat the Steelers. Then his offseason in NY where someone like him with the media hype he had at that time should never had gone.

the problem is nobody knows what he'll become.

as stated above hopefully he becomes montana or steve young for that matter. this media attention everyone has dreamed about is just a parade of assholes trying to fill time on their sportscasts when there is really nothing else to talk about. they see a market in riding the JF train.

i'd be careful what i wished for with this media attention thing. as soon as something goes wrong with either of the QBs who start the media is going to try and drive a wedge in a team that i think is much improved and has added a lot of talent at many positions. this is a year where the browns could seriously get over that hill and get on a roll. all they need is a bunch of blathering idiots on the sidewalks outside of berea or at the stadium on sundays talking about one guy and how the nation is waiting to see the unveiling of manziel. i mean what happens if hoyer does start? what are they going to have a camera dedicated to manziel on the sidelines with a clipboard in his hands? every time he scratches his nuts they'll get a closeup? what happens if manziel starts and he doesn't produce? then the whole media angle will change and watch what happens then.

we'll see how patient the staff is, how patient the players are when they are winning or losing and all every reporter wants to know about is how the rookie is doing. how is manziel taking the fact that he's not starting? are they handling manziel correctly? every friggin question after every friggin game is going to be about the other guy. pettine will probably end up strangling someone.

media attention is fine. if given a perfect world they would leave the team alone while the rookies try to learn and the team tries to become a cohesive unit. come back when they're winning games. play a ten minute segment on the browns then.

and this is not about manziel. if gilbert was getting this much attention on and off the field i wouldn't like it either. hell you could have jesus himself playing QB and it'd still be too much attention as far as i'm concerned.

That's an abbreviated way of saying he's getting all this attention and hasn't done anything yet in the NFL, and might be a bust. Nothing more.

I can agree with that in the sense that all of this attention is front loaded.

However, Tebow's mechanics were called into question from the beginning. He was never thought to be a good passer, just a winner and a physical specimen.

Manziel is technically proficient, he just isn't 6'5 230. The question isn't whether Manziel can be an NFL level passer, it's whether he can withstand injury because of his "small frame".

In my opinion, the bust level is much lower for Manziel than it was Tebow. It's easier to protect a QB than it is to completely reset the way one throws a football.

Archived