THE BROWNS BOARD

Pettine Criticizes Gordon's Effort in Practice

bonedawg

I can agree with that in the sense that all of this attention is front loaded.

However, Tebow's mechanics were called into question from the beginning. He was never thought to be a good passer, just a winner and a physical specimen.

Manziel is technically proficient, he just isn't 6'5 230. The question isn't whether Manziel can be an NFL level passer, it's whether he can withstand injury because of his "small frame".

In my opinion, the bust level is much lower for Manziel than it was Tebow. It's easier to protect a QB than it is to completely reset the way one throws a football.

You're making it sound like Manziel is perfect but for his size - that'd be Russell Wilson. Manziel has his concerns as a QB as well. Not as much as Tebow, but he's by no means an Andrew Luck sure thing.

the problem is nobody knows what he'll become.

as stated above hopefully he becomes montana or steve young for that matter. this media attention everyone has dreamed about is just a parade of assholes trying to fill time on their sportscasts when there is really nothing else to talk about. they see a market in riding the JF train.

i'd be careful what i wished for with this media attention thing. as soon as something goes wrong with either of the QBs who start the media is going to try and drive a wedge in a team that i think is much improved and has added a lot of talent at many positions. this is a year where the browns could seriously get over that hill and get on a roll. all they need is a bunch of blathering idiots on the sidewalks outside of berea or at the stadium on sundays talking about one guy and how the nation is waiting to see the unveiling of manziel. i mean what happens if hoyer does start? what are they going to have a camera dedicated to manziel on the sidelines with a clipboard in his hands? every time he scratches his nuts they'll get a closeup? what happens if manziel starts and he doesn't produce? then the whole media angle will change and watch what happens then.

we'll see how patient the staff is, how patient the players are when they are winning or losing and all every reporter wants to know about is how the rookie is doing. how is manziel taking the fact that he's not starting? are they handling manziel correctly? every friggin question after every friggin game is going to be about the other guy. pettine will probably end up strangling someone.

media attention is fine. if given a perfect world they would leave the team alone while the rookies try to learn and the team tries to become a cohesive unit. come back when they're winning games. play a ten minute segment on the browns then.

and this is not about manziel. if gilbert was getting this much attention on and off the field i wouldn't like it either. hell you could have jesus himself playing QB and it'd still be too much attention as far as i'm concerned.

You can't have it both ways. Bitch about how the Patriots get 10 minutes of highlights on ESPN to one Browns game highlight. Well, how much media coverage has Aaron Hernandez gotten? When the spotlight is on, it is on for the good or the bad. You can't just say, "I only want the good media attention." It's here, Johnny brings it, Gordon brings it, whether it is good or bad attention is up for the team to decide. Like I said, if things go well, Sportscenter will play 10 minutes of Browns highlights and we'll all be walking around with our chests puffed out. If the team implodes again, it's "lolbrowns" and back to barely a mention on SC.

You're making it sound like Manziel is perfect but for his size - that'd be Russell Wilson. Manziel has his concerns as a QB as well. Not as much as Tebow, but he's by no means an Andrew Luck sure thing.

No, you're just reading it that way.

I'm saying Manziel's issues aren't in his techniques and fundamentals. If his biggest technical knock is that he throws from his back foot on deep balls, I'll take it. His footwork will need refinement since he's operated primarily from the shotgun, but that's the case with most college quarterbacks these days.

Find me on professional analyst that says Manziel's technique is poor or that it's comparable to Tebow's, and I'll gladly revoke my previous statement.

Manziel's issues lie in his demeanor, his attitude and his size. But his mechanics? No way.

You can't have it both ways. Bitch about how the Patriots get 10 minutes of highlights on ESPN to one Browns game highlight. Well, how much media coverage has Aaron Hernandez gotten? When the spotlight is on, it is on for the good or the bad. You can't just say, "I only want the good media attention." It's here, Johnny brings it, Gordon brings it, whether it is good or bad attention is up for the team to decide. Like I said, if things go well, Sportscenter will play 10 minutes of Browns highlights and we'll all be walking around with our chests puffed out. If the team implodes again, it's "lolbrowns" and back to barely a mention on SC.

don't want it both ways. there's just no reason for it. manziel brings it because of his fan base. you don't see trucks parked outside the texans camp. and they supposedly picked the best player in the draft.

it's all bullshit right now. plain and simple. show me one report that actually means something. it's like the talk on this forum. you can say manziel and gordon are the faces of the franchise, but like my opinion.....it doesn't mean shit.

Maybe my Tebow reference wasn't the best analogy, but it's understood what I meant. Just a lot of attention like he's the greatest before it's known, and then busts.

I wasn't referring to mechanics as a QB, but TC makes a valid point there since it's now a topic. I've heard it said Tebow would still be in the NFL if he'd just consider a position as an RB.

I'll accept bad attention with the good, if it must be, but let's get some that's good damnit.

I wish we had traded Gordon. The guy is lazy....I can deal with that if the game results are good, and he doesn't care about his team. The guy is about to get suspended....he doesn't give a shit about his team. I have a real problem with that.

When ever he come back, I'd trade him for a 5th rounder. He is going to want mega bucks on his next contract, and there is no way I would do that with this cat. He's overpaid as it is. You can't count on him

I get the frustration , trust me I think at least once a day I think about Gordon's looming suspension and my blood pressure skyrockets lol. There is no reason to cut or trade him though. It appears as though he may dog it in practice as well, BUT the dude can flat out play, may be top receiver in the league. The only sensible path forward with a guy this talented is to hold on to him hoping he gets it straight, if not the league rules will resolve his status. I would speculate that even Josh Gordon's agent knows his next contract would have to be either a one year or a heavily incentive laden contract.

I'm with 'peen on Gordon. I have a feeling that, due to his low current cost, they may wait until he comes back & at least get something for him via trade.

I don't care what his talent level is, Gordon can neither be trusted to live by rules nor give 100% effort every play. It's my little fixation, but I can't stomach players who take plays off. That ONE play just may be the difference between winning & losing.

Mike

we gotta get something for or from him. i'm on the fence here. i don't like guys that know the rules and stare dead at he face of the book and defy them. like 97% of the players in the league get it (or know how to beat a test) but he doesn't? is it the "i'm better than you so the same rules don't apply to me" attitude? or is it "i hang with my homies no matter what and i like smoking trees so much that i'm willing to risk my career for some smoke". either one of those ways of thinking are just plain dumb. and from what i've seen and heard (so far) is that he's not doing anything over-the-top to fall into the good graces of this coaching staff. now that doesn't mean he doesn't go out and catch the ball or participated as everyone else does. IMO he should be out there like a rookie trying to win a job and do everything he can to show the browns he Fd up and is willing to do whatever it takes to tow the line.

hell he should be bringing donuts. do something besides look like a dumbass, over-privileged, talented pot head.

Just would like to point out (again) that we still do not definitively know what he did this time.

I don't care what his talent level is, Gordon can neither be trusted to live by rules nor give 100% effort every play. It's my little fixation, but I can't stomach players who take plays off. That ONE play just may be the difference between winning & losing.

I'll take the effort he gave in 2013 for another 10 years or so.

“Banner and Lombardi also wanted to trade star receiver Josh Gordon because of multiple failed drug tests,” says Mary Kay Cobot of Cleveland.com. “But some in the organization, including then coach Rob Chudzinski, felt the Browns had a strong enough support system to keep him on the straight and narrow.”

Statistics suggest that he [JFF] will be a failure. Take all the quarterback Heisman winners and point out the superstars and the busts, simple as that. The reason they hated Tebow is partially just because he is a Christian and that pisses a lot of people off.

WSS

Or, maybe they disliked him not because he was a Christian, but because Christians held him up to be God like figure and they kept trying to shove him down the public's throat when most football fans could see that he was just no good at all.

Or, maybe they disliked him not because he was a Christian, but because Christians held him up to be God like figure and they kept trying to shove him down the public's throat when most football fans could see that he was just no good at all.

I think that's often the case with Heisman quarterbacks. I think it's also often the case they don't play very well. And they get a lot of attention. Look at us. So far part of that has already come true. Let's hope not all of it. I think if you take the time to read back over any of the posts you'll see many many attacks on the guy for his faith. That's all I'm saying.

Personally I'd rather bash a guy who is a lazy asshole or a prick.

WSS

tebow believed in an askewed version of southern bapist fundamentalism. hell it was close to the hillbillies that dance with rattle snakes (never got that one myself). the cusp of their whole religion is if you don't believe like i believe or do as i do you will burn in hell.

manziel has already shit all over the chin of that religion. "THANK YOU JESUS!"

tebow believed in an askewed version of southern bapist fundamentalism. hell it was close to the hillbillies that dance with rattle snakes (never got that one myself). the cusp of their whole religion is if you don't believe like i believe or do as i do you will burn in hell.

manziel has already shit all over the chin of that religion. "THANK YOU JESUS!"

Were they the Christian version of ISIS?

Is this a Gordon thread or another JFF thread? I also now wish we would have traded Gordon if he does in fact get suspended. If he wins his appeal which is now looking like that may be possible, then I will be glad he is still here. The longer this suspense carries out the more I believe he may be "INNOCENT" ha ha. Why is it half the league can smoke weed and not get caught but our moron is too stupid to figure out how not to get caught? Smoke all you want but figure out how NOT to get caught.

Just like convicts or people on probation, once you get in the system- it's hard to get out. Once they get your number, you are an easy target. He came into the league wearing a target. A lot of the guys that get away with it are not as singled out as Gordon is. It's gotta be hard being Gordon when some of your peers in the NFL are blazing away on Caribbean Islands fucking mermaids with a golden dick and Josh has to stay at home and read the bible.

Is this a Gordon thread or another JFF thread?

god forbid you mention another name of a player on a team made up of players. i guess if we were discussing corn dogs, mentioning cotton candy would be off limits?

god forbid you mention another name of a player on a team made up of players. i guess if we were discussing corn dogs, mentioning cotton candy would be off limits?

There are ten other topics on JFF keep it out of the Gordon is a dumb ass thread

Your mixing carney food groups there my friend. That's like talking about a QB in a WR thread. The gall.

They both may work together such as completing a pass for a QB-WR or obesity, extremities smelling of cabbage, or heart disease (although this might work in both cases) for corn dogs-cotton candy. However they are separate entities in their own right.

Back to the topic at hand, we don't know the facts yet. There's no point in getting pissy or placing blame.....yet. I'm sure people will say I'm making excuses for Gordon but he's innocent until proven guilty.

Archived