THE BROWNS BOARD

Greatest Guitar Riffs

and usually I write in my head then pick up the guitar since its handy and start putting the chords where I heard them.

I don't have the piano in the living room anymore but 1 of these days I will have a digital with weighted keys to play while I'm upstairs. I do have one in the studio. Sometimes the song I hear in my head is a piano song so I go work on it there.

but again I'm a vocalist who plays enough piano and guitar to hack through what needs to be done.

WSS

By the way, I am coming to PIB on Friday with my wife and daughter. You can hack your way through a few songs in our presence! :D See you then if not before.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Page is no Malmsteen but he's written/co wrote more classics. John Paul Jones did almost all the arranging.

There's an old joke in guitarist circles..

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

Six, one to actually do it and five to stand around and say "PPPHHHTTT!!! I could've done that shit better" :D

As a guitarist,, I TRY to remember to NOT think in terms of impressing other guitarists when I write. If you do that i think you are fucking up. And that's probably why the BEST riffs of all time are extremely simple riffs that you don't have to be well versed in modal theory to understand and feel..

To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

yes I think that's exactly right. I mean you can tell if somebody is sloppy and not very technically proficient from somebody who's precise but still there are a lot of guys who are fast and sharp. Hard to tell if one is better than the other. There's no real objective test. Kind of like who's the best athlete?

WSS

i haven't even tapped into a umpteenth of music that is out there, meanwhile my collection of bands and musicians that 'no one' (my friends) have ever heard of scares most people.

something about jeff beck that i always turn to when someone says technical....i mean it seems like the guitar is an extension of his natural body, maybe vai too.

another great finger picker is/was mark knoppfler. when sultans of swing came out i was pretty floored.

brian may used to play with a coin instead of a pick, which i guess gave the guitar a different sound.

interesting stuff here.

They great thing about Jeff Beck is.. theres no gimmick.. It's all pure tone that comes from his fingers..If your a good player...It really doesnt matter what you play through (amp wise) . Your natural finger print will shine through.

Good call Gipper. I think that was the broken barricades album. Robin Trower last one and they gave him what's more songs that he ever did before.

WSS

The first "riff" has got to up there with like Smoke on the Water for simplicity and effect. The second riff could be a TV show theme song.

Back to the "RIFF" thing.

this is one of my favorite riffs. As soon as it comes on I turn it way up

Yeah, well, seeing how we're being all subjective and no one can be wrong..

What you posted epitomizes the pussification of America imo..

If someone asked me to listen to it again I'd tell them that before I would, I'd slap the dick taste so far out of their mouth that it would be late next week before they could enjoy it again.. But hey!! To you it's great ! :wacko:

Just being subjective and all.. No one can be wrong,, right ;)

Now maybe,, before you decide to get all snarky again under the guise of subjectivity and insult some one else's appreciation of good taste on anything, perhaps you'll remember...

c'est la vie

or

Pura vida

You can think it represents whatever you like. Your taste in music ensures we will not agree on anything you might posit. Metal is not good or interesting in any way from the yelling to the gay s&m attire to the obligatory Dean guitars. However I don't hate on you for liking it. That's your choice, and I could sit here and make up some gay fake internet tough guy e threats like you were compelled to do but I don't really feel like I have to do that. You're allowed to dislike the music I like.

Archived