THE BROWNS BOARD

Jf takes snaps with starters

Kvoethe

Manziel takes snaps with Browns starters

Aug 4 2014, 11:16 AMThe Associated Press

Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel has taken his first snaps in training camp with Cleveland's starters.

Manziel is trying to beat out Brian Hoyer for the starting job. The former Heisman Trophy winner from Texas A&M had worked exclusively with Cleveland's second-string offense until Monday.

On his first play of 11-on-11 drills, Manziel completed a 40-yard pass to Travis Benjamin. The wide receiver came back to grab the underthrown ball. Moments later, Manziel's tipped pass intended for Josh Gordon was intercepted by safety Donte Whitner.

Browns coach Mike Pettine had promised he would give Manziel time with the first-unit offense, and he decided to do it as the team prepares for Saturday's exhibition opener in Detroit.

Johnny Manziel: I'm better in games than in practice

Jul 31 2014, 1:17 PMDavid P. Woods

Cleveland Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel says fans won't get to see him at his best until he straps on the pads and steps onto the field against a real opponent.

"Always, for me, I’ve been better in a game situation than I feel I have in practice," Manziel said Thursday, via Pro Football Talk. "But I have to come out here and get better with the reps that I’m getting. That’s the main thing, keep getting better, and then when it’s time to go out and play football, it’s time to play football."

There's no denying Manziel excelled in the high-pressure game situations he encountered in college. He also showed a tendency to be at his best when improvising, rather than when executing planned plays.

Manziel has come under criticism in his first offseason with the Browns for not hitting the books hard enough and not having a strong enough grasp of the team's offensive scheme.

If Manziel produces some of his trademark magic in the Browns' four preseason games, the calls for him to start over veteran Brian Hoyer in Week 1 will get very, very loud.

Today on the HERD Colin was talking how the Browns have one of the most talented teams in the NFL, they are just missing a top level Qb. He has major wood for Andrew Luck and how he can win Divisions with the least talented roster. He also talked about how JF looked small behind center and called him FunSize. He likened him to a michael vick.

"Always, for me, I’ve been better in a game situation than I feel I have in practice,"........... Johnny needs to fix that if he wants to be great in the NFL. Hopefully he does.

Today on the HERD Colin was talking how the Browns have one of the most talented teams in the NFL, they are just missing a top level Qb. He has major wood for Andrew Luck and how he can win Divisions with the least talented roster. He also talked about how JF looked small behind center and called him FunSize. He likened him to a michael vick.

Well, if Michael Vick had half a brain he would have had a tremendous career. Johnny has a brain.

Zombo

I think there is some real concern about Hoyer. He has a slight limp, and he's no longer making the throws he opened camp with. Some say he's lost some zip. He might not actually be physically ready right now. Its one thing to have the knee healthy enough to play, its another to have it ready to play day in and day out.

I think there is some real concern about Hoyer. He has a slight limp, and he's no longer making the throws he opened camp with. Some say he's lost some zip. He might not actually be physically ready right now. Its one thing to have the knee healthy enough to play, its another to have it ready to play day in and day out.

Man I would hope not.

"Always, for me, I’ve been better in a game situation than I feel I have in practice,"........... Johnny needs to fix that if he wants to be great in the NFL. Hopefully he does.

We've had a shitload of QB's who were better in practice than in games. I'm more than ready for one who's exactly the opposite.

Of course JMZ needs to take snaps with the first team. The ultimate truth in the NFL is that people are not drafted in the first round to play backup. So, sometime, eventually he had to, has to be given some reps with the #1s.

That doesn't meant that he will become the Browns starter immediatly....but it does mean the Browns recognize that that was why he was acquired.

If JMZ were to only be given reps behind Tyler Thigpen, then I would be worried.

Of course JMZ needs to take snaps with the first team. The ultimate truth in the NFL is that people are not drafted in the first round to play backup. So, sometime, eventually he had to, has to be given some reps with the #1s.

That doesn't meant that he will become the Browns starter immediatly....but it does mean the Browns recognize that that was why he was acquired.

If JMZ were to only be given reps behind Tyler Thigpen, then I would be worried.

Let him be our Rogers. Sit and learn son. Or maybe Hoyer still isn't fully recovered/never will be.

You're right, he should get some first team reps to get an idea of how he performs.

man what if Hoyer IS having knee issues consistently?

that would suck, and JF would start without a doubt. if he looks magic in preseason we will have him starting. Hoyer has nowhere to go but down, which is unfortunate. Hopefully his knee is fine and this is just all media

I'm sure Hoyer is medically fine, but it takes quite some time to restore all mental confidence in your knee, let alone full conditioning. I'm sure that knee feels fatigue at some point, training camp is tough on healthy players, let alone those coming off major knee surgery.

Look no further than RGIII last year. Had the knee surgery, spent all preseason telling everyone how healthy he was, but he never once looked comfortable with his knee last year. Its a mind f'er.

for those who give a FRA; Vick scored a 20 on his Wonderdick lic. JFF 32

morris Claiborne has the dubious distinction of having the lowest score ever. he scored a fucking 4. (out of a possible 50)

even diehard can do better than that B)

statistically speaking, jff is 63% more intelligent than Vick

for those who give a FRA; Vick scored a 20 on his Wonderdick lic. JFF 32

morris Claiborne has the dubious distinction of having the lowest score ever. he scored a fucking 4. (out of a possible 50)

even diehard can do better than that B)

Got a 4.5 and I beat you.

Pettine said he'd get reps; he got reps...

There has been no mention of any limp except by you.

If Hoyer had knee issues, then some report of swelling, etc. would be out there.

I'm sure Hoyer is medically fine, but it takes quite some time to restore all mental confidence in your knee, let alone full conditioning. I'm sure that knee feels fatigue at some point, training camp is tough on healthy players, let alone those coming off major knee surgery.

Look no further than RGIII last year. Had the knee surgery, spent all preseason telling everyone how healthy he was, but he never once looked comfortable with his knee last year. Its a mind f'er.

So he's limping, but medically fine?

Re: your "look no further"...

First, the RG3 and BH injuries had different timing. It was obvious that RG3 was never ready to play last season... he rushed back from a late, 2012 season-ending aggrevation of his original injury and still did not have surgery until after the season was over. Hoyer on the other hand went down in week 5. Hoyer went under the knife on Oct. 18; RG3 on Jan. 9. Hoyer has had 2.5 months more time to rehab.

Second, RG3 's 2012 injury was a repeat. He tore the same right ACL in 2009. Plus RG had an LCL repair at the same time. RG's operation qualifies as "major knee surgery" to borrow your hyperbolic term. Hoyer's qualifies as "knee surgery".

Not to mention the impact of a knee to a running QB, is far greater than it is for a "nifty" QB. And it's even BH's back leg so there's no hesitancy to step into throws as was the case when Brady had his left knee repaired a few years ago (2008-ish?).

When BH stops planting his right hard when he drops back, then I'll start worrying...

Objectivity is not your strong suit.

It's certainly possible Hoyer is experiencing what I would call conditioning fatigue. I doubt his rehab workouts were anywhere near as strenuous as training camp. I can put in 100 miles on a bike in a day- next day is rest up. Not 20 days in a row like the Tour de France riders do.

I'll parrot Tour- limp? Source please- not your subjective opinion.

the wonderlick?

i would hope most of us would be able to ace that joke of a test.

manziel must have taken it after being out on the town the nite before.....thought he'd do better than 32.

Not as easy as you think it is Mik- the problem is there's a time limit too. Given all day, most intelligent college grads would probably score at least 32. You only have 12 minutes to answer 50 questions, that gives you about 15 seconds per question. Pat McInally was the only person to ace it, and Ryan Fitzpatrick got 48\50- both Harvard grads, and I know RF's gpa was somewhere around 3.89.

Now Claiborne scoring a 4, wow, that's hard to do.

Here's a sample question- if you suck at math, you're going to take too much time. "A bike travels 7 feet in 1/3 of a second. At the same speed, how many feet will it travel in 5 seconds?" The answer is 21 X 5 = ?

the more i read of you, the more i think i begin to smell a little "Brown Warrior" in the letters...

ur vernacular is shep-pish...but ur "alias-game" is not too shep-tacular.

--if ur not him simply disregard this post as it probably makes utterly zero sense to you. :ph34r:

Archived