THE BROWNS BOARD

Grossman signed, Thigpen waived

utzie

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And your point about us poor public school people?

Yeah, that's an ignorant comment TxDawg made, hit a nerve with me.

I get tired of the elitist parochial school attitude portrayed by some folks. With all the silly mandated standardized tests floating around, parochial schools aren't really a great investment. The only difference (to me) is the parochial school can boot you out if you are acting like an idiot.

Grossman is a better QB than Thigpen and can walk right in and use the Shanny system.

No-brainer.

Has nothing to do with Hoyer at all.

Sexy Rex will hold a clipboard on Sunday afternoons and be a cool third stringer who can drive Johnny's car to the after parties.

Zombo

He's a good pickup to mentor JM in that system and Thigpen was just not playing well. Comments I have heard that Pettine favors bringing rookie QB's along slowly makes me believe he has already decided to go with Hoyer as his starter with JM coming in for cleanup time when games are already decided.

Hoyer going elsewhere is pure BS.

sometimes i forget the majority of people went to public school. apologies.

this is a change in the QB room. it seems johnny has been given a mentor, making hoyer expendable.

Rethink your approach next time. You made a valid point, right after you belittled the majority of people who may have considered it.

Wow, the Whirling Dervish just picks up speed. I always wished the Browns were more relevant and featured more in the media, I guess I should've been more careful what I wished for.

LOL, ya should have listened to my voice crying in the wilderness, "beware, beware, you draft JFF and you bring the circus into town along with him. 6 PM ESPN, and 1AM ESPN radio today. Knew for a certainty it was going to be RG III hype all over again- and then some. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Monday niter against the Redskins is the highest rated preseason game in NFL history. Quite a hoot to hear BSPN say today all the media coverage is because "Pettine won't name his starter." BullS**t, and FU- ESPN. Pettine will name his starting qb when he's damn good and ready to- he doesn't operate on your media schedule.

Haha, nice. Yeah Grossman is here for nothing other than film room help and as an emergency QB. Hoyers not going anywhere. And for everyone thinking Hoyer will be moved, Grossman was 3rd string for Washington for the last two seasons under Shanahan.

Why he was brought in- knows Shanahan's system cold. Can't be any worse than Thigpen.

I think the Grossman signing opens the possibility that Hoyer or Johnny is moved. The coaches and front office has to be under the assumption that they cannot coexist. The media and fans are not going to back down once a starter is named, theres always going to be a divide calling for the other guy.

Even the team is split, and I dont believe its a bitter split, but after a few losses that divide will become bitter.

Of course Hoyer is the obvious choice to be moved, has good momentum and no contract for next year so youd lose him for nothing if you dont move him beforehand.

However I can see a situation where say...the Cowboys realize Romo is about done and offer two first rounders and more for Johnny....Browns would have to consider that.

Now do I think the Browns do those things? I doubt it, but you know its at least been discussed, and Rex Grossman being there actually gives them the option to made a deal if they felt like it becomes necessary.

Looking for any excuse to get Hoyer kicked out of town? I'd love to get a couple first round picks from the Cowboys for Manziel- First, It would give the Browns three first round picks (probably a couple high) next year- plenty enough ammunition to move up to #1 overall and take Mariotta, or whoever else they deemed worthy of the pick, second it would get the JF fans out of here, so we could get back to discussing how Gilbert, Gilkey and Desir are doing. If Pettine isn't lying through his teeth, Hoyer will be on the Browns for a significant period of time. .

this is a change in the QB room. it seems johnny has been given a mentor, making hoyer expendable.

That's flat out laughable. If JF wins the starting job, Hoyer is the superior backup.http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrosRe00.htm

Grossman played one season since 2007- where he sucked, Never had a season where his completion % was over 60. Ever hear of a player coach? Say hi to Rex, because he isn't seeing the field unless both Hoyer and Manziel get hurt. .

It really is starting to get tiring arguing with you JFF fans that have a one track mind to see your guy start, regardless of what some of us board members who have been following NFL football in general, and the Browns in particular for 40+ years think what's really going on.

Ignorant ass... smh... Comments like this ruin these threads...

Yeah, that's an ignorant comment TxDawg made, hit a nerve with me.

I get tired of the elitist parochial school attitude portrayed by some folks. With all the silly mandated standardized tests floating around, parochial schools aren't really a great investment. The only difference (to me) is the parochial school can boot you out if you are acting like an idiot.

Some folks yes. But there is a difference, one is faith based education. Investment wise is debatable depending on the course of study.

"BEREA, Ohio -- The addition of quarterback Rex Grossman to the Cleveland Browns does not make Brian Hoyer expendable, coach Mike Pettine said Tuesday.

"Absolutely not" was Pettine's response when asked that question.

Pettine was just as adamant that Grossman's addition does not mean the Browns are at all unhappy with the way things have gone with Hoyer and Johnny Manziel as they compete to be the Browns' starter."

Can all you irrational JFF fans drop it now?

I think the Grossman signing opens the possibility that Hoyer or Johnny is moved. The coaches and front office has to be under the assumption that they cannot coexist. The media and fans are not going to back down once a starter is named, theres always going to be a divide calling for the other guy.

Even the team is split, and I dont believe its a bitter split, but after a few losses that divide will become bitter.

Of course Hoyer is the obvious choice to be moved, has good momentum and no contract for next year so youd lose him for nothing if you dont move him beforehand.

However I can see a situation where say...the Cowboys realize Romo is about done and offer two first rounders and more for Johnny....Browns would have to consider that.

Now do I think the Browns do those things? I doubt it, but you know its at least been discussed, and Rex Grossman being there actually gives them the option to made a deal if they felt like it becomes necessary.

I think you are dead wrong on everything you have surmised right here.

Mentor, schmentor. Sure Grossman can mentor these guys....including both JFF and Hoyer....who is still young in terms of NFL playing experience.

But Grossman is here to be the 3rd string QB.....and in the recent history of the Cleveland Browns the 3rd string QB has about a 50% chance of actually starting a number of games in a season for this team.

As for public school.....did you go to a school that had more than one room?

my gut says manziel and hoyer don't like each other, plus the locker room is divided; one is going to leave.

its a gut feeling. i don't have any substantial evidence other than they want the same job.

they're competing. as mature as i'm sure they try to be, you want the other guy to fail. especially hoyer since this might be his last shot.

That and no selfies together...

They are two very different personalities, so even without the competition I doubt they'd be buds. But I also doubt that either is rooting for the other's failure. That just happens to be the other side of their succeeding.

As for anything especially Hoyer...

If it turns out to be JM, then BH not only would be denied his job, but his dream, hometown job.

Not a decision basis... just a fact...

how do I delete my account?

can staff edit to rexywithit?

Classic and classicer... :)

Excepting the possible price JJ would pay for JM, it's all good, honest speculation IMO... good post.

The only way JM would be worth anything approaching two 1sts+ is if he starts opening day and leads us to 3 quick victories. In the highly unlikely case of that being true, he would not be available at any price.

The possibility of Hoyer being moved is laughable, just as Johnny.

Who would want Hoyer? Nobody.

I can see a reasonable, QB controversy based scenario where moving BH is possible. And I can see teams that would be interested in adding a back-up QB for a conditional draft choice.

"BEREA, Ohio -- The addition of quarterback Rex Grossman to the Cleveland Browns does not make Brian Hoyer expendable, coach Mike Pettine said Tuesday.

"Absolutely not" was Pettine's response when asked that question.

Pettine was just as adamant that Grossman's addition does not mean the Browns are at all unhappy with the way things have gone with Hoyer and Johnny Manziel as they compete to be the Browns' starter."

Can all you irrational JFF fans drop it now?

Would seem to settle the issue for now. But what is true today may not be true tomorrow.

I just can't believe Browns media is so popular that a 3rd string QB gets prime-time interview space on ESPN and national outlets. Talk about never seeing that one coming haha.

It's good in a way- and bad in others. No one can accuse ESPN anymore of being "fair and balanced".

Just a response troll to the constant fanboy fag troll

Edit: wow! and a successful troll at that. I'll drop that stuff when I see the fanboy stuff get dropped. Or if I get banned (which I would see fair-not my kitchen)

My fan ship was up in the draft. As a frustrated texans fan, it was perfect. They had the top pick, no qb, not taking johnny freed me up to go with whoever took him.

Being from Houston I'm just not as loyal as you guys. The oilers left. And when football came back bud Adams wouldn't sell us the rights to the oilers. Frustrating.

Long story short: was happy the browns took him. I see the browns as the oilers in many ways.

In Cleveland there is a losing culture that needs to get bleached. I can hear it in your post. Johnny is that bleach. I have no doubt about that. Johnny doesn't think failure, he doesn't even see it being possible, that's why he makes risky plays.

Everyone here thinks in failure. Worst case scenarios. You guys need johnny.

Being from Houston I'm just not as loyal as you guys. The oilers left. And when football came back bud Adams wouldn't sell us the rights to the oilers. Frustrating.

Houston was my second home. Actually lived there longer (30 years) than I did in NE Ohio (22 yrs).

Lived thru the "Luv Ya Blue" phenomenon... and Luv them I did.

While I never rooted for the Oilers over the Browns, I never rooted against them except when they played the Browns.

Gave me the rare "honor" of losing two NFL teams.

Long story short: was happy the browns took him. I see the browns as the oilers in many ways.

That's a low blow... :o

In Cleveland there is a losing culture that needs to get bleached. I can hear it in your post. Johnny is that bleach. I have no doubt about that. Johnny doesn't think failure, he doesn't even see it being possible, that's why he makes risky plays.

I see a Chlorox endorsement in his future...

Good for you and your no doubt. But everything after that is just another way of saying reckless, which is why he is a defensive-minded coach's worst nightmare.

Interesting rumor going around. Sexy Rexy might make Hoyer tradeable to Houston. Hoyer and OBrien were together in NE for a couple years. Houston has a serious issue at QB. Browns have a serious issue at WR. Johnson for Hoyer? HMMMM

I'm hearing Hoyer to Houston as well.

We could have Grossman starting with Manziel learning the ropes this season.

I'm hearing Hoyer to Houston as well.

We could have Grossman starting with Manziel learning the ropes this season.

U R funee- you shud b a comedeun. About 1 in 100 chance Hoyer gets traded. About zero chance Grossman starts over anyone- unless every other able bodied qb is hurd.

Archived