THE BROWNS BOARD

Schwartz..

Cbus Brownie

I guess none of you saw him blown back into Hoyer at the key point in the game so we had to kick out of the endzone and give pukesburg a short field to move in for the winning fg.

Go back and watch the last possession. He did cost it in crunch time as I predicted would happen some time ago.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll be fine. Preseason is for making mistakes. The entire offense is gobbling down a new system, they'll get in sync for Pittsburgh.

Zombo

Fuckin lol. You watch the game today? It was a regular season game. Schwartz graded out as an F. Cost us time and time again. Replace him this is a good OL.

What's your BS excuse now?

STFU. i don't like schwartz either but the line seemed to hold in the second half......correct?

how about the pussy run the ball up the snout calls in the first half? sure establish a run game but can we have hoyer throw the ball on 1st or 2nd and not just telegraph a run the rest of the way?

I guess none of you saw him blown back into Hoyer at the key point in the game so we had to kick out of the endzone and give pukesburg a short field to move in for the winning fg.

Go back and watch the last possession. He did cost it in crunch time as I predicted would happen some time ago.

But didn't he hop backwards on one leg nicely? At least until Hoyer got in his way! That was sad.

I find it hard to believe we don't have better than Schwartz at RT. I just don't see any FIGHT in him.

Mike

But didn't he hop backwards on one leg nicely? At least until Hoyer got in his way! That was sad.

I find it hard to believe we don't have better than Schwartz at RT. I just don't see any FIGHT in him.

Mike

Yes, I scored him a 9 on the hop, but a 2 for form. :lol:

STFU. i don't like schwartz either but the line seemed to hold in the second half......correct?

how about the pussy run the ball up the snout calls in the first half? sure establish a run game but can we have hoyer throw the ball on 1st or 2nd and not just telegraph a run the rest of the way?

You're a dumbass. Watch the game, quit giving Z a handy.

Mike

Ya that was impressive. Competed with OSU Oline display last night. Schwartz is easily a bottom 3 RT in the league.

Said player hit the ground with possession then his shoulder touched the goal line as he rolled a little. Should have been down at the half yard line.

Ummmm... no. He was not down by contact... the play was not over... he had to stay off of the goalline... he fell right on it with his right shoulder.

My impression at the time was that it was a coverage sack. Just rewatched it and it was almost 4 seconds after the snap that Heywood went under Schwartz to grab Hoyer's leg. Before that the RB (West) missed a chip on Heyward and ended up falling down. Even considering all that Hoyer could have slid to his left as there was no pressure from that side.

Enough was wrong with that play that I can't lay it at Schwartz's clay-ish feet...

No he didn't. He got beat on most passing plays, but none other than the Heyward sacks resulted in sacks. They did however collapse the pocket too quickly and hurried BH. It happens but with Schwartz it happens damn near every snap. His run blocking is suspect too.

Again, overall we have a pretty good Oline, but we need a more efficient RT. Bitonio has been impressing.

I don't think Schwartz cost us the game either, but will be a day or so before I grade the line.

Now about that punt... player + ball + (player's shoulder on goal line) = touchback

it appeared to me he had the ball and his knee was down before his shoulder hit the goal line. How's the rule on that? Does he have to be entirely in bounds to down it there or is he treated as downed where his knee hit when he had the ball

it appeared to me he had the ball and his knee was down before his shoulder hit the goal line. How's the rule on that? Does he have to be entirely in bounds to down it there or is he treated as downed where his knee hit when he had the ball

The former... the knee does not matter.

Rule 9 Scrimmage Kick

Section 4 Ball Crosses Goal Line, Touches Goal Posts, Out of Bounds, Dead in Field of Play

BALL CROSSES RECEIVERS GOAL LINE

Article 1 If a scrimmage kick crosses the receivers goal line from the impetus of the kick, the following shall apply:

(a) If the ball has not been touched by a player of the receiving team beyond the line of scrimmage, it is dead

immediately, and the result of the play is a touchback, when: (1) it touches the ground on or behind the receivers

goal line, (2) it touches a player of the kicking team who is touching the ground on or behind the receivers goal line,

or (3) it touches a player of the kicking team who has touched the ground on or behind the receivers goal line and

has not re-established himself in the field of play.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/12_2013_Scrimmage_Kick.pdf

Well try this article. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/09/sunday_showdown_cleveland_brow.html#incart_related_stories

Key sentence: "Schwartz's biggest mistake came late in the fourth quarter when defensive end Cameron Heyward made a bull rushed him and sacked Hoyer."

As I said, that play cost us the game. Why is it some dummy from Texas can predict Schwarz would cost 2-3 games because of a play like that this season and damned if he isn't already 1 for 1?

That play wasn't the only move upon which the game hinged. He didn't cost you anything other than the chance to rant on Monday morning.

To actually show Schwartz sucks, you need to first show what the normal level of play is across the entire NFL for that position [hint: It's not perfection. Deal.] and then show why Schwartz misses significantly more than that.

Unfortunately for you, objective reality has Schwartz in the league's top 10 at RT.

Key sentence: "Schwartz's biggest mistake came late in the fourth quarter when defensive end Cameron Heyward made a bull rushed him and sacked Hoyer."

As I said, that play cost us the game. Why is it some dummy from Texas can predict Schwarz would cost 2-3 games because of a play like that this season and damned if he isn't already 1 for 1?

Hey, Dummy...

Were you one of those kids that blamed your Little League teammate for losing the game just because he made the last out?

;)

Hey, Dummy...

Were you one of those kids that blamed your Little League teammate for losing the game just because he made the last out?

;)

Nope, but I blamed him for dropping the sure easy last out in center field with men in scoring position. You know, kind of like getting bull rushed into your QB with the game on the line. LOL :lol:

Second rounder, Steve... in 2012. No unconditional love... overall I am firmly in the camp that he has underperformed. Here there's just disagreement over a single play.

It's hard for me to blame Schwartz when West failed to execute the chip on Heyward that he was in position to deliver.

That play wasn't the only move upon which the game hinged. He didn't cost you anything other than the chance to rant on Monday morning.

To actually show Schwartz sucks, you need to first show what the normal level of play is across the entire NFL for that position [hint: It's not perfection. Deal.] and then show why Schwartz misses significantly more than that.

Unfortunately for you, objective reality has Schwartz in the league's top 10 at RT.

And fortunately for the Browns they will likely have a shot at the best OT in the college game next year. If you run an offense like the Browns, you need a top 10 overall draft pick at both OT's, not a second rounder. I admit I am biased in that I believe that it is the line both sides of the ball that brings championship play. I also admit I've been spoiled by watching 3 of those on the same O line at the same time at Texas A&M. I just want to see the Browns win and I sincerely believe a top 10 overall OT will do the trick. I think Schwartz is a better fit at OG.

I laid a big turd over Schwartz for most of the preseason, now he didn't exactly beast anybody but.....yesterdays loss wasn't on him. And we actually kind of ran well to the right yesterday. Can't fault him much. Yes he got beat a couple times but whatever, overall we protected adequately and did a good bit of run blocking. Towards the end of the game our line really wore down the steelers. Dropping 27 points on the steelers is a sign our o line did their job. If our secondary had done it's job the 1st half that game was ours. Steelers squeeked away with that one.

And fortunately for the Browns they will likely have a shot at the best OT in the college game next year. If you run an offense like the Browns, you need a top 10 overall draft pick at both OT's, not a second rounder. I admit I am biased in that I believe that it is the line both sides of the ball that brings championship play. I also admit I've been spoiled by watching 3 of those on the same O line at the same time at Texas A&M. I just want to see the Browns win and I sincerely believe a top 10 overall OT will do the trick. I think Schwartz is a better fit at OG.

I agree, if there's road grading tackle or guard in the draft next year...I mean a real gangsta ass nigga that can take a DT and move him right from his rookie year, we gotta take that. If there's a tackle prospect that could eventually be turned into our LT when Thomas retires, gotta get him. Even if it's just a guard....if he's a piece of construction equipment....take him

Because it's Bitonio's natural position...

Bito was a LT, and swapping him and Schwartz weakens two positions.

How does it make sense to put a tall, RT with Bull-rush issues inside?

"I thought the Offensive Line for the most part protected well. We did give up two sacks, but neither of them were attributed to the inside five. We had one pressure that they gave up."

- Mike Pettine

9:09 mark of http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Mike_Pettine_Team_Can_Learn_From_Loss/c23d2efa-7c54-4ee9-9c65-0ea2d06fb3dc

I thought the o line did pretty well too. 6+ yds a carry was nice and 2 of those sacks were on Hoyer for not stepping up...

Watch the tape and you'll see that Hoyer needs to improve his pocket awareness. Stood there like a statue, when he could and should have just stepped forward. He'll learn. But 2 out 3 sacks could have been avoided.....

And we sure as hell didnt lose because of one sack on one series.....the reason we lost is because we gave up the whole first 1/2.....

This isn't college. Even GREAT o-linemen are going to get beat from time-to-time. I thought Schwartz played quite well. Very solid run-blocking.

But, I get your point... you always have to be right, so you're going to look for anything that confirms your point. It's called "research bias." It gets annoying for the rest of us who are trying to watch the game and hoping for THE BEST from all of our players, not looking for faults in guys "WE PREDICTED" wouldn't be good...

Archived