THE BROWNS BOARD

Sundays Positives

USFBrown

With all the bitching I'd like to point out some positives.

1. We had 3 running backs with 6+ yard per carry average. Great draft picks in West and Cromwell.

2. Kruger had 2 sacks and 2 tfl.

3. The team didn't give up and tied after being beaten down.

4. There were actual half time adjustments made.

5. Hawkins appears to be a good pickup.

Yes, we didn't win our first game with a new regime and a lot of rookies seeing game action. But I see a lot of potential with this staff and players. Sure there's no moral victories but I enjoyed the game and am optimistic about the rest of the season.

Go Browns!

1. We had 3 running backs with 6+ yard per carry average. Great draft picks in West and Cromwell.

Yes, we didn't win our first game with a new regime and a lot of rookies seeing game action. But I see a lot of potential with this staff and players. Sure there's no moral victories but I enjoyed the game and am optimistic about the rest of the season.

Go Browns!

Sorry...only doom and gloom is allowed here. No place for optimism or looking for positives.

That said. I completely agree.

My kinda thread...Go browns!

Outside of the first half, I saw a lot of positives too.....many we agree on....

1) Looks like we might finally have a running game.....Tate, Crowell and West all look good and that goes a long way in this division(esp in December)....Crowell looks explosive.....he could become something really good

2) The defense settled down and the front 7 look like what i "hoped" they would look like.....they can dominate once they gel.....

3) Offensive line looked solid too

4) No drops or fumbles. Receivers weren't flashy, but they were getting it done. Dray will be a good find if Jordan is out

5) Once settled, Hoyer also looked sharp and was throwing the ball well. Needs to develop better pocket awareness. Could have easily stepped up to avoid 2 sacks. He'll get it figured out soon enough.

6) Good to see Benjamin catch a pass. He looked very tentative on returns. Not so good actually. If he repeats next week, I vote for Gabriel or Gilbert to give it a try...(esp if gilbert isnt starting)

7) If we start to play whole games, like we played that second half.....we will be more than fine......

8) The best thing of course, were the half time adjustments and how the team responded. Thats very very good.

Go Browns!

Oh we played very poorly initially, but I'm with you & I would like to add a couple more positives that are BIG changes from previous Browns' teams:

1) We did not panic & throw 90% of the time in the 2nd half. We effectively used the running game & trusted an improved defensive effort.

2) After the successful fake punt by the Steelers, we stopped 'em 3 & out! I can't recall seeing that before. In the past, we would have crumbled & allowed an immediate score.

Bottom line is.....The 2014 Browns have PRIDE! I am very confident in this Team that has a bright future & some excellent Veteran Leaders.

Mike

Oh we played very poorly initially, but I'm with you & I would like to add a couple more positives that are BIG changes from previous Browns' teams:

1) We did not panic & throw 90% of the time in the 2nd half. We effectively used the running game & trusted an improved defensive effort.

2) After the successful fake punt by the Steelers, we stopped 'em 3 & out! I can't recall seeing that before. In the past, we would have crumbled & allowed an immediate score.

Bottom line is.....The 2014 Browns have PRIDE! I am very confident in this Team that has a bright future & some excellent Veteran Leaders.

Mike

No way...this kind of positivity isn't allowed here. You can only be negative and focus on the shit that happened yesterday.

1- Heart and seeing the Browns not give up.

2- The look on the Steelers faces mid-way through the fourth quarter.

3- The Runningbacks are raw... in a good way. Fresh young blood in the RB stable.

4- The WR's caught the ball, hell- one more catch and we probably win the game. Good hands.

5- Amazing punt by Spencer to pin Pitstank inside the 1 yard line. Should have won the game. I was under the impression that one our guy had the ball with two feet down the play is dead, what happened that allowed the refs to continue his progress through to the ground and past the endzone line is beyond my pay-grade.

Positive: For a team with many new players, new coaches, and new systems, we were tied with possession of the ball and a minute remaining on the clock. That exceeded my expectation. I don't care if we go 0-15, we need to keep this FO and system in place for at least 3-4 years and hopefully more!

Most people on this board wouldn't mind 0-16 as long as we get some moral victories.

The Browns go 0-16, Haslam would clean house and rightfully so.

Was it really neccessary for you to appear in this thread?

We know how you feel from all the others, why not let people have their own say without these sarcastic comments?

7) If we start to play whole games, like we played that second half.....we will be more than fine......

This-totally agree and I think the Browns will be executing a lot more of the no huddle throughout the game to insure that happens. Our coaches are not blind to seeing what works well for this team.

PS-and that plays in well for our #2 and #3 QBs who both ran it well in college. I was happy to see Hoyer could do it well despite not having the fastest wheels in town.

The biggest thing I took away from this game is the Browns should (and hopefully will) begin to form an identity of pounding the rock. Assuming Tate comes back healthy enough, it appears early on we have three strong guys to carry the load. I'd be happy to see 30-35 carries a game split between those three (or two) guys.

Brian Hoyer brought a team back from 27-3 by leading the team to 24 unanswered points on the road against a Dick LeBeau defense with his best two veteran playmakers on the bench with injuries.

If you don't think that's a positive then don't even watch the games any more, just wait to hear the score and yell "finally!" Or "they all suck, Jimmy needs to blow this shit up!"

Z

P. S. If rookie Crowell didn't miss the play call on that 3rd and 1 at the ten yard line, Hoyer and the Browns probably complete the greatest comeback in the history of the rivalry ... So there's that.

Z

This-totally agree and I think the Browns will be executing a lot more of the no huddle throughout the game to insure that happens. Our coaches are not blind to seeing what works well for this team.

PS-and that plays in well for our #2 and #3 QBs who both ran it well in college. I was happy to see Hoyer could do it well despite not having the fastest wheels in town.

Thing is, we don't NEED to do the no-huddle to have an effective offense. The reason the no-huddle worked is because the play calling is simplified, so the players can just go out there and play. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that some of Shanahan's plays are fifteen words long. In fact, yesterday on one of the busted plays, the play was busted because Hoyer didn't get the full play call. Why? Because the speakers in the helmet the QBs where in the NFL cut out after fifteen seconds after each play. So Shannahan's play call was taking over 15 seconds!!!

Just simplify the play calling. Once the players have a season in Shannahan's offense, they can bust out the paragraph-sized plays.

Also, props to Kruger, but like I said in another thread, he is going to be better this year.

P. S. If rookie Crowell didn't miss the play call on that 3rd and 1 at the ten yard line, Hoyer and the Browns probably complete the greatest comeback in the history of the rivalry ... So there's that.

Z

I took note of this as well. Too bad it has to come down to these things so often to get a win. Overall, I'm content at this point with the performance.

Browns, show us this season that it wasn't a fluky comeback and that it was just shaking off the rust or a learning curve in the first half.

5- ... what happened that allowed the refs to continue his progress through to the ground and past the endzone line is beyond my pay-grade.

The rulebook happened... it's always been that way.

The biggest thing I took away from this game is the Browns should (and hopefully will) begin to form an identity of pounding the rock.

Yes... It is so key to the personnel we have.

Is this the official autopsy report on that play? It seemed likely, but I still have not read an official account.

The rulebook happened... it's always been that way.

Yes... It is so key to the personnel we have.

Is this the official autopsy report on that play? It seemed likely, but I still have not read an official account.

That is what Grossi reported. Crowel was supposed to take the handoff and he went the other way, missed the play call.

Z

That is what Grossi reported. Crowel was supposed to take the handoff and he went the other way, missed the play call.

Z

Hoyer said it was his fault and the hand off was going to the fullback but Hoyer went the wrong way.

Hoyer said it was his fault and the hand off was going to the fullback but Hoyer went the wrong way.

Yep....Hoyer took that one on himself.....said he simply turned the wrong way. Everyone went left, except for Hoyer, so Im apt to think it was him and not the running back.....

Archived