THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon news

cvcanedy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Browns WR Gordon denies having drug problem

AP 8:28 p.m. EDT September 10, 2014

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Browns Pro Bowl wide receiver Josh Gordon called his yearlong NFL suspension the "worst experience I had in my life" but vowed to come back a better person once he's allowed to play again.

Gordon, who hasn't spoken to local media members since April, did an extensive interview with ondecker.com (http://bit.ly/1uwFyp1 ) in which he claims he's not addicted to drugs and believes his case is affecting the possibility the NFL will change its drug policy.

During the interview, Gordon maintains he failed a drug test for marijuana because he was exposed to secondhand smoke. Before his positive test, Gordon said he was clean and had passed 70 tests.

He denied having a drug problem.

"Definitely not," he said. "In this case I was exposed to it from secondhand and prior to I've been drug free and been staying that way. This incident has been causing a backlash of negative attention and negative media of me being an addict or junkie or using drugs terribly too much, which is definitely not the case. I'd definitely like to have that out in the open and be clear with that for sure."

The 23-year-old said learning he had been suspended shook him deeply.

"I was definitely upset, heartbroken because you won't able to play ultimately for a full year," he said. "You get emotional, you get depressed. You touch all of the emotions I believe at once. It was definitely a dark period of time for me. Definitely the worst experience I had in my life for sure, having your livelihood possibly taken away so now we're just trying to turn it into a positive and take the best things out of it we can."

Gordon believes his case is part of the negotiations taking place between the league and the player's union for a revamped drug policy. The NFLPA has delayed a vote on the league's proposal for changes that potentially could implement HGH testing.

Gordon, who was suspended two games last season, feels his muddled situation has partly provided an impetus for change.

"I do believe my situation had a lot to do with it," he said, "for the mere fact I guess the disparity and controversy with the policy and how close it was. It somewhat made me the poster child for advancing into a new, a different policy. I'm sure it's a good thing and a bad thing as well. Sad I had to be the example for it as well. It's good to see, I guess, progression made in the league and that they're doing something about it."

Gordon acknowledged checking into a rehab clinic in California following a drunken driving arrest in July. He said the clinic found that he "wasn't addicted to anything."

As Gordon's saga has dragged on, several of his teammates are holding out hope he'll be reinstated or have his suspension reduced.

"Yeah, we have hope alive for that," safety Donte Whitner said. "You always want that. He was our best player on offense. He was the leading receiver in the National Football League last year. That would be a huge boost for us if he does come back. If not, we still have guys that can make plays. We hope for the best. Prepare for the worst."

Gordon said he's grateful for the support he's received from the Browns.

"I'm sure another team wouldn't mind letting me go or cut me or something like that, but they believed in me and knew that there was something more to my character not only from the negative but more so than the positive they saw in me and they wanted to stick with me," he said. "So I appreciate them for that."

Gordon led the league in receiving yards last season, when he established himself as one of the league's elite playmakers. He's determined to come back, and when he does, Gordon intends to be better than ever — on and off the field.

"I'm looking forward to not letting anyone down, myself included," he said. "I think I can go above and beyond expectations and be a figure head in the community and be something for Cleveland to be proud of."

___

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Great article, i like his attitude and demeanor. Changes my opinion of him.

I sure hope they do, but dont think they will vote tonight.... Im hearing they wont vote till Friday or maybe even Monday....and it could drag on and on well beyond that....

There is a game tonight, so they would have to do it, like right now, to allow the Ravens/Steelers reps to participate and still get ready for their game ....

Schefter thinks Gordon will still get 6-8 games if the policy passes...

Adam said that at the end of NFL Insiders...

It... makes... no... fucking... sense...

Adam said that at the end of NFL Insiders...It... makes... no... fucking... sense...

No ... It doesn't.

I can see a two game suspension when/if he gets a dui conviction. But WTF would the 6-8 be for? Just making more shit up? That's not working out well for the NFL.

Z

Will be interesting if they vote tomorrow, then how long will it take them to review Gordon's case this time? 3-4 months, again?

I'm getting tired of this. And then we'll have to deal with the DUI.

If he's not on the field Sunday then he needs to just use those 2 games toward his pending case, so we can get all this sh** behind us.

"When a new drug policy is approved as early as this afternoon, Josh Gordon's suspension expected to be reduced to 8 games, per source."

Suspension reduced to 8 games per Adam Schefter on Twitter!

Hey, half a season is better than nothing.

That makes no fucking sense. They are in a grey area again ... either he broke the rules or he didnt!

We could be out of the playoff race after 8 games and now we are on the hook for this years salary, and he is once again going into a free agent year next year.

This is good (better) news for Josh, but not so much the Browns.

If it is 8 games it better fucking include his dui (which he has not been convicted of)

Z

No ... It doesn't.

I can see a two game suspension when/if he gets a dui conviction. But WTF would the 6-8 be for? Just making more shit up? That's not working out well for the NFL.

Z

That makes no fucking sense. They are in a grey area again ... either he broke the rules or he didnt!

We could be out of the playoff race after 8 games and now we are on the hook for this years salary, and he is once again going into a free agent year next year.

This is good (better) news for Josh, but not so much the Browns.

If it is 8 games it better fucking include his dui (which he has not been convicted of)

Z

All depends on how they word that damn agreement. "Gray area" according to the report. Unless Schefter has actually seen it- you can bet the players are trying hard to get an exception for Josh. As I suspected, the reason the players didn't vote Tuesday was because of the "suspension on arrest" for DUI. They (rightfully) told the NFL to shove that one, after the way they treated Irsay.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000393180/article/player-reps-could-vote-on-latest-drug-proposal-friday

Sounds like they dont know what to do with Josh because he actually violated in 2013 under those rules, so they are just going to split it down the middle.

I hope the fucker gets 1000 yards in 8 games, although he will have missed out on 400 yards against the Steelers, who he will not face.

Z

With all the talk about Gordon, Rice and weed...I think a lot of people are missing the fact that a lot of players are against HGH testing and THAT is what most of them are focused on(not JG).....and Hgh testing is why this has been on the table for so long.....

To the players and rest of the league, JG isn't really the issue....HGH testing is.....(and a LOT of players dont want HGH testing)

and that means there is still a chance they will vote no......

and if they do?.......

Until I hear otherwise, it looks to me like:

Gordon get's suspended 8 games for testing under an "unfair" policy, that was changed a few months later...??

I would have him serve 2 games now (since it is so late in the week already), and let those count toward the DUI suspension, if he is convicted...

It ultimately HAS to be about money...

On a positive note (in regards to Rice), it's starting to look like there's a chance Goodell may be gone.

First the N.O.W. is all over his case, which could be shrugged off, but this morning Pepsi ($1B in NFL Advertising) said they're going to be closely watching how this is handled.

$ talks, and $1B is pretty damn loud.

Just to be the devil's advocate... The National Organization for Women wants complete across the board equality but guys aren't allowed to hit them.

;)

But seriously Gordon should be off the hook.

WSS

Just to be devils advocate.....and to have complete across the board equal nation, we should beat the elderly, children and handicapped people too....

Fair is fair.... ;)

Archived