THE BROWNS BOARD

Things I think about things

calfoxwc

On dissing Hoyer - waste of time, and wrong. He isn't Peyton Manning. Neither is Flacco.

Hoyer and the Browns BEAT the squealers in their backyard. The ratbirds just lost, badly,

same sewage area.

QUICK STATS (2014):
Hoyer
TDS 10
INT 4
YDS 2,014
RATING 90.3
Last game 21/34 300 2 2
Flacco
TD 16
INT 8
YDS 2352
RATING 90.7
Last Game 30/45 303 2 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On dissing Hoyer - waste of time, and wrong. He isn't Peyton Manning. Neither is Flacco.

Hoyer and the Browns BEAT the squealers in their backyard. The ratbirds just lost, badly,

same sewage area.

QUICK STATS (2014):

Hoyer

TDS 10

INT 4

YDS 2,014

RATING 90.3

Last game 21/34 300 2 2

Flacco

TD 16

INT 8

YDS 2352

RATING 90.7

Last Game 30/45 303 2 1

The steelers team the browns played this season is not the same steelers team hitting the field right now.

When the Browns lost Mack for the year...that really hit

the Browns offense hard. Losing Mack would mess with Manziel far worse

that Hoyer.

Here's some interesting numbers:

In the last five games, the bungles are 2-2-1, Browns are 4-1, the ratbirds
are 2-3, and the squealers are 4-1.
This AFC n race is going to be fun.

Meanwhile, I also think:

That Sunday's helmet to helmet on Hawkins was not called and

you wonder WTF not.

I mean, the ball was right there. Aren't refs supposed to be

watching that play, especially? How the hell can refs possibly

miss THAT one?

Yet, no call. If goodell was half a real man, he'd look into this crap.

It's a cliche but... "Any given Sunday." The margin between the best and worst team in the NFL is paper-thin. Replace one player on the Browns and suddenly we have no running game. Replace one player on the Cowboys and they can't even beat the Redskins and certainly not the Cardinals.

So yeah, it is the same Steelers team we beat earlier this season. This game is all about emotions as much as talent, and the Browns wanted that win more than the Steelers did, and the Steelers wanted to rebound from losing to us more than the Colts wanted to beat the Steelers.

Look, we all know what Hoyer is at this stage of the game. But no matter how you slice it, the guy being behind center has equated to wins so far this season. Do I have a huge worry we are in for a gigantic reality check against the Bengals? You bet your sweet ass I am. But until Hoyer and crew start losing games in bunches, he's the guy to start, period. It's not hard to understand.

Another thing I think:

The Browns are currently ranked 21st in power rankings...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/rankings/

Think of where they could have been with Gordon and Mack the entire season so far,

and no injuries to the defense...

I also think that Billy Winn is a giant ninja. We were laughing and replaying him

doing a Billy Winn Leap and blocking the field goal, again and again:

Browns%2Bfg%2Bblock.gif

It is the exact same team

Martavis Bryant was inactive and James Harrison is still getting back in to game shape. Just the added wrinkle of Bryant has made a big difference with the offense so no its not the same team. The steelers are also playing at a much higher level.

The quandary I'm in with Hoyer is, he looks horrible at times, missing relatively simple throws - not Weeden simple, mind you - and yet he'll hit a couple of big plays, and all of a sudden we're in the end zone. He seems to spend most of the game not doing much, and yet still comes out with good numbers, and more often than not the W.

So I'll see him miss some throws and think "jesus, he's really not that great" and then he'll throw a couple of 30-yarders that put us in the end zone and pad his stats.

I do wonder what JFF could do in this offence - though without Mack I'm wondering it less - but how can you not stick with Hoyer when he finds ways to win, as mentioned, without a run game, without his pro-bowl center, tight-end and WR?

Another thing I think:

The Browns are currently ranked 21st in power rankings...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/rankings/

Think of where they could have been with Gordon and Mack the entire season so far,

and no injuries to the defense...

I also think that Billy Winn is a giant ninja. We were laughing and replaying him

doing a Billy Winn Leap and blocking the field goal, again and again:

Browns%2Bfg%2Bblock.gif

Holy shit, how did I miss that?!

Every single interview I listen to of the Browns, tells me that

these guys are on fire every week, and they thrive on the

"fifth man" at home, and they LOVE the competition,

they really are on board with the coaches.

I keep hearing them talk about teamwork.

that's Farmer bringing in guys who have character, and a LOVE for the game.

That's Pettine and the rest of the coaching staff doing a great, freaking job.

And Hoyer? He really has the admiration and respect of his teammates. Hey, Manziel's

time will come, and he will be ready.

These Browns mean BUSINESS.

I'm still laughing at that GIF !

Now, special teams are going to see that and figure...

"hey, we have to stand up a bit or he'll do that to us !"

which could mean, it gives the Browns guys more leverage.

I really shouldn't have posted that of Winn's block, laughing

and trying to eat breakfast is ridiculous.

The quandary I'm in with Hoyer is, he looks horrible at times, missing relatively simple throws - not Weeden simple, mind you - and yet he'll hit a couple of big plays, and all of a sudden we're in the end zone. He seems to spend most of the game not doing much, and yet still comes out with good numbers, and more often than not the W.

So I'll see him miss some throws and think "jesus, he's really not that great" and then he'll throw a couple of 30-yarders that put us in the end zone and pad his stats.

I do wonder what JFF could do in this offence - though without Mack I'm wondering it less - but how can you not stick with Hoyer when he finds ways to win, as mentioned, without a run game, without his pro-bowl center, tight-end and WR?

I'm finding it hard not to wonder the same thing. There were a few of those sacks on Hoyer that I wondered if we'd have seen a bit of JM's elusiveness in the pocket in action. I also wondered if JFF would've hit Tate in stride on that sideline pass. Should've been a TD and we came away with an FG on that one. But as long as we are winning I think we need to take the long view and let JM sit and develop slowly.

And that's also true - Manziel's excellent mobility would really

have come in handy on several plays, where Hoyer isn't

the same mobility wise.

But I'd hate to see Manziel go in, and eventually get his clock cleaned/injured by

doing the rookie scrambling thing.

Yeah, there were plays I think Manziel could have really made, that Hoyer couldn't.

But Manziel still doesn't have Hoyer's qb experience with defenses. Winning record, stay the course.

Martavis Bryant was inactive and James Harrison is still getting back in to game shape. Just the added wrinkle of Bryant has made a big difference with the offense so no its not the same team. The steelers are also playing at a much higher level.

I wouldn't go printing playoff or Super Bowl tickets yet. James Harrison is old and so is Polly. The Colts while a nice team.. are not there yet.. The Ravens are doing pretty well for a team in transition. I'm sure if the Steelers played Seattle and Denver back to back.. the results would be different.

Unfortunately, the Steelers get the Jets next week, so we'll have another week of Big Ben putting up big numbers and people talking about the Steelers as superbowl contenders. Unless they lay an egg and let Vick pick up 150 yards and 3 TDs with his legs.

I wouldn't go printing playoff or Super Bowl tickets yet. James Harrison is old and so is Polly. The Colts while a nice team.. are not there yet.. The Ravens are doing pretty well for a team in transition. I'm sure if the Steelers played Seattle and Denver back to back.. the results would be different.

I'm not punching anything but if you watched the last two games there is reason for optimism in Pittsburgh. The defense is getting a lot of pressure and Ben is doing what he wants. You can downplay the colts and the ravens all you want. The colts were on a 5 game streak and the ravens were 5-3 as well. The steelers still have the Bengals twice. Denver just got schlacked by the patriots and Seattle isn't the same.

Posted Today, 11:45 AM

You'll love it

http://www.nfl.com/g...22107&tab=recap

Sounds to me like Suggs hit him in the hip, and slid down, before the whistle.
Ah, the refs in pittiful burg. What a crock. And that helmet to helmet shot on Hawkins with NO CALL gripes
me even more. What the heck?

that's Farmer bringing in guys who have character, and a LOVE for the game.

That's Pettine and the rest of the coaching staff doing a great, freaking job.

^This...

I was thinking along the same lines last nite... The "love of the game" shines almost blindingly from Gabe and a few other youngins, but you can also see it in vets like Haden and Winn.

I will grant you that the front 7 seems to be playing with attitude. Also that Bryant has added a missing element to the passing game, but you have lost your run identity... and that will create issues soon.

So I'll see him miss some throws and think "jesus, he's really not that great" and then he'll throw a couple of 30-yarders that put us in the end zone...

Overall I thought he threw much better yesterday than he had in weeks. But under pressure, if he throws off his back foot, the odds of a poor pass are much greater. Same is true of any QB (RE: Flacco last nite), but when arm strength is not your forte the decline is greater.

My own personal suspicion for the fall off against JAX and OAK (besides the poor run game) is that he was playing hurt. Not sure what or when, but I suspect lower body with knee being the obvious candidate sometime during Week 6, week of the PTG rematch... possibly late in the Week 5 win over TN. The reason I think it was an issue was he stopped striding as straight into his throws as he had been in games 1-4.

Instead of stepping forward towards 12 0'clock (or more typically 11:30), started stepping towards 11 at best and often to 10:30 or even 10. The QB equivalent of a pitcher striding a little towards 1st instead of straight home... takes a little off the fastball. And the greater the pressure, the less he strode towards 12... and the weaker the throw.

Anyway... yesterday the stride was back as was the percentage of quality throws. We even saw a little "running". When was the last time we saw that?

Now we just need the run game from those meant to run...

Well, they were struggling, and they had to bring back their qb cheapshot artist.

Now they are winning. Go figure....

Harrison admittedly was not and still isn't in game shape but he's been gradually getting back to game shape as evidenced by his last two games. I will preface all this with I know most of you don't give a damn but I'm going to provide my take anyway since it's being discussed. I think the rest of the defense is inspired by the play of both Keisel and Harrison. It's getting the rest of the defense up, they are really pressuring the quarterback and as a result forcing turnovers. They weren't doing that early in the season.

Add in Martavis Bryant from the inactives and his presence has done two things. It has first and foremost created a redzone threat Ben hasn't had since Plax or just a vertical field threat period. Heath Miller is a big guy but he's not skying for balls. Bryant is 6'4 with very good deep speed. Bryant also takes pressure of Wheaton and one of the things he himself has admitted is that once he messes up a couple times he lets it get in his head. He's now not tasked with being the number two alone and his play has elevated as a direct result. Lance Moore is also back healthy. The offensive line is fortified and our running backs have been running well all season. I've seen it posted here a few times now where the wins over both the colts and now the ravens are being downplayed, implying that clearly those teams had to have been playing down for the Steelers to win.

The colts were on a 5 game rip and ben threw for over 500 and 6 td's. The Ravens may have been reeling a little bit but early in the game it seemed like it was going to be a war. Ben got sacked at one point 3 consecutive times but the Steelers battled back, started pressuring flacco and the rest is history. The fact of the matter is the defense of the Steelers has stepped way up and the offense is on fire. They draw the Jets next week which is just going to add additional fuel to the fire. The Jets are a hated opponent and then they draw the titans which is another "rivalry" type game. I see the Steelers staying up the rest of the way and that emotional wave plus exemplary play could lead to big things for the Steelers. Bottom line when your quarterback throws 12 td's and almost 900 yards in two games that's no fluke. I'd be glad as a Browns fan those games with the Steelers are out of the way already.

Archived