THE BROWNS BOARD

Madden, fans and "just hit a button"

Andruw u?

No two ways about it, the way Pettine, Shanny and Hoyer managed the clock at the end of the first half yesterday was terrible. Everyone in the stadium was booing and the home team deserved it right there.

Overall though, how much do you guys think Madden video games have changed how we fans (especially those in their 30s and younger) watch games, critique coaches, in-game decisions, play-calling, heck maybe even GM and front office stuff? I grew up playing it all the time. I still play it every now and then, although about 1% of the time I used to. I think the Hillis cover is the last new one I bought.

I'm out at high school games every Friday and the stuff yelled from the stands at the coaches is more ridiculous than college and pro games.

Two running plays get stuffed and it's "Let's go coach! Throw the damn ball! You got to spread the field! Stop being a pussy!"

Well, great idea, except the hometown team runs the wishbone. They have three WRs on the whole roster. The whole playbook has eight pass plays in it. You don't just dial up the shotgun, 4-wide, 25-yard out patterns and then, as long as you hit the button at the exact right time, the play works no matter what.

Sure, when there's a dumpster fire like the last minute of the first half yesterday, everyone can see it. And pros are pros. It's fine to hold pros to whatever high, even unrealistic, standards fans want to, so I'm not getting into treating Friday night like Sunday afternoon and etc., etc., much more so just the way fans see, or think they see, the game. (Add in there's typically a big difference with guys who played the game, even no higher than high school, vs. other fans)

Maybe some of the more veteran posters can see a generational difference. Are younger fans (myself included) more "know-it-all" because we (myself included again) think we could call timeouts at the right time, call a better play at the right time, make the right fourth down call, even know when it's right to turn over the franchise to JFF, because we played thousands of hours of Madden?

I really don't think it has too much to do with Madden, but moreso that the world of information is at our fingertips today. In one minute I can go to a website that outlines every stat possible. We watch games where they show every angle, every shot of the field almost instantly. This stuff has made the good lot of fans a lot more knowledgeable about the game, but there will never by anything that replaces real-time, game day decisions. It becomes incredibly easy to arm-chair coach and frankly make a true statement when it's right there. But put yourself down on the field and it's not that simple.

I am still confused as to why some people thought the decision at the end of the half was bad time management. I can understand with 50 seconds left and two time outs wanting to go for the endzone, but they had just taken a huge sack that put them pretty much out of field goal range or at the very tip of Billy's range. If they take a time out and stop the clock, its 3rd and a county mile. You throw for a first down and don't make a completion and stop the clock with 45 seconds left and Tampa with a time out, so you have to punt it back to them to let them go for some points at the end of the half, and with VJax and Mike Evans as their go to guys.... might have seen a repeat of the Jacksonville game.....

I'd rather let the time run, pick a play that picks me up 5-10 yards and let my field goal attempt be the final play of the half. Ya they ended up getting a good play off and might have had enough time to go for an endzone shot if they used a time out, but with the way the offense was playing, I don't think it was a bad call at all.

If we're afraid to punt Tampa Bay down to its own 10 with 0:40 left in the half, that's pretty bad. After the second down sack, timeout 0:45 left, run the third down play, where I'm cool with a play where the main objective is to get back in field goal range rather than truly going for the 3rd and 15, then punt or you still have a timeout to use right away or let it tick down to make the field goal the last play of the half.

(Using my Madden expertise here, of course.)

I thought we lucked out with the completion to Austin because it saved the field goal. Maybe I should give Pettine more benefit of the doubt. If it worked out exactly as he planned, great, I hope so.

Well... pretty sure Pettine planned to not give them the ball back before the half.

It's a manifestation of a Defense oriented HC... and while it was "different", at least it was not Bill Belichick, "go-for-it-on-4th-down-at-my-own-20-something-with-the-lead" different.

http://nypost.com/2009/11/16/patriots-gamble-leads-to-victory-for-colts/

If we're afraid to punt Tampa Bay down to its own 10 with 0:40 left in the half, that's pretty bad. After the second down sack, timeout 0:45 left, run the third down play, where I'm cool with a play where the main objective is to get back in field goal range rather than truly going for the 3rd and 15, then punt or you still have a timeout to use right away or let it tick down to make the field goal the last play of the half.

(Using my Madden expertise here, of course.)

I thought we lucked out with the completion to Austin because it saved the field goal. Maybe I should give Pettine more benefit of the doubt. If it worked out exactly as he planned, great, I hope so.

He remembers the Jacksonville game. He will not allow another team a chance for free points at the end of the half again.

We got lucky on the 3rd down conversion. Austin really made an awesome play and it's just one of those things you really can't foresee happening consistently enough to say yeah, it's definitely going to happen.

We got lucky on the 3rd down conversion. Austin really made an awesome play and it's just one of those things you really can't foresee happening consistently enough to say yeah, it's definitely going to happen.

But if it didn't happen, we were going to punt anyway.

Archived