THE BROWNS BOARD

what the hell? Did we turn a major corner or is Cincy closet bums?

Clevfan4life

I dunno about all this AFC north is the best division in football talk. This is a rebuilding division. There's obviously talent here, but best in the NFL? The Jets just beat the Steelers...that's as bad a loss as ours was to Jax. The Ravens and Steelers are defininitely on the decline and this is why I've been pissed the last few years with all these coaching changes. Now is the time to stomp on the division. If we keep rebuilding every year we're just letting them retool how they want instead of dictating their personnel (to an extent) cause they have to play us twice a year.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe... but you could probably throw a blanket over the AFCN, NFCW and maybe, maybe the AFCE... even with the boat-anchor Jets.

I think you look at records, but have to also look at trends. Today the NFCW just got very scary looking.

I dunno about all this AFC north is the best division in football talk. This is a rebuilding division. There's obviously talent here, but best in the NFL? The Jets just beat the Steelers...that's as bad a loss as ours was to Jax. The Ravens and Steelers are defininitely on the decline and this is why I've been pissed the last few years with all these coaching changes. Now is the time to stomp on the division. If we keep rebuilding every year we're just letting them retool how they want instead of dictating their personnel (to an extent) cause they have to play us twice a year.

6-4 is last place :-P the other divisions may house some top flight teams, but they all have 1+ bottom feeders.

6-4 is last place :-P the other divisions may house some top flight teams, but they all have 1+ bottom feeders.

But isn't kind of like having a good record in the Big 10 right now? I mean we have had some quality wins in the division against powerhouses. Us against the Saints and the Steelers gay holing the Colts on the lords night. Maybe I'm wroing but I can't think of any other prime wins by one of our division teams. Every team in this division has had more than one game where they looked as bad as the worst teams in the entire league. Of course any team with a QB like Flacco or Ben is going to look "amazing" here and there. And now maybe you can throw the name Hoyer in there. But overall, the AFCN teams look like they have major holes at very key positions. Except the Browns really. If the Browns had all their starters we really look like the most solid team with the best depth in the division at nearly every position. Ok ILB'ers and perhaps RG/RT are an issue imo.

All three talking heads on The NFL channel picked the Bengals. Next week they'll pick Houston because of JJ Watt. It never ends so I've learned to ignore it over the years. The same applies to Ohio State. Usually I mute the television when they use national announcers who can't stand Ohio Stae.

But isn't kind of like having a good record in the Big 10 right now?

Oh no, did you just get off the phone with Mark May?

Seriously, the AFC North is tough. The NFL is wide open this year- even teams like Denver, NE, GB, & Seattle have laid some eggs. Don't sleep on the 49ers or Indy either.

Not that it matters much which Div is best. It all shakes out in the end and Divisions dont win anything. But here are the bulk Div records just for fun.

1) NFC West .....63.1%

2) AFC North.....61.3%

3) NFC North.....55.5%

4) NFC East.......52.7%

5) AFC East.......51.3%

6) AFC West......50.0%

7) AFC South.....35.1%

8) NFC South.....31.4%

Not that it matters much which Div is best. It all shakes out in the end and Divisions dont win anything. But here are the bulk Div records just for fun.

And what if you throw out the high and the low like in Olympic judging? :)

Why not. Then we are first and, If the playoffs were today, we'd be hosting KC in the WC :)

And, hey, dont those 2 southern divs really suck to the highest order?

To have 6 out of 8 div's with winning records(ok, at 500), then those 2 are really absorbing a lot of losses.

AFC/NFC South's combined record? = 24-48

The rest of the league over 500.

Ok you win. This division is amazing. Best division ever. Steelers, ravens, bengals, browns. All world beaters

You're stupid.

This division has like 1 quality out of division win, and about 8 bad look losses. None of the teams are very good. Period. Steelers and ravens blow, and the bengals are a .500 team at best.

Actually, it is amazing. Divisional play began in the NFL in 1933. NO division in history after this point in the season has accomplished this.

Now, is it helped by the fact that the AFCN plays a round robin with the NFCS and the AFCS, probably the worst two divisions? Sure. But they are the worst two divisions in history.

But...I only hope you are right. I hope the Rats, Squibs, and Pussycats do lose their games to those weak teams from the other divisions.

Looking at everyone's schedules, it's giving me a headache trying to even venture a guess as to who wins the division.

The best I can see for the Bengals is 8-7-1, losses at Cleveland, at NO, they face Pitt twice and will lose at least 1 of those games, and at least 1 more loss at Houston or at Tampa. If they play better than I expect still don't see better than 9-6-1.

The Ravens will probably be close to that, I still don't see us any worse than 9-7, I'm thinking the deciding game between 10-6 and 9-7 is week 17 against you guys. But unless the offense starts playing like it did earlier in the season or the defense rises above its injuries I don't see any better than 10-6 for us.

Steelers, well it depends which team shows up week to week. They don't have any should lose games or should win games on their schedule, except two against Cincy which logic would suggest to them losing 1 to them. Home games against Saints and Kansas City and road games against Titans, Falcons and the two cincy games. They could be 11-5, or 9-7.

Browns - Hypothetical, I say Browns go 2-1 next 3 weeks, two road games in a row, one against Buffalo that could go either way but I'm gonna predict a loss. That would bring you to 8-4. Next 4 games are Colts, Bengals, Panthers and Ravens. Even splitting those would leave you at 10-6 in line with everyone else. I'm gonna say you go into week 17 10-5. You beat us at home you likely win the division. If you lose, 10-6 is still a good spot to compete with the other AFC teams vying for a wildcard spot.

Very good chance everyone in the division finishes around the same record and with winning records.

Looking at everyone's schedules, it's giving me a headache trying to even venture a guess as to who wins the division.

The best I can see for the Bengals is 8-7-1, losses at Cleveland, at NO, they face Pitt twice and will lose at least 1 of those games, and at least 1 more loss at Houston or at Tampa. If they play better than I expect still don't see better than 9-6-1.

The Ravens will probably be close to that, I still don't see us any worse than 9-7, I'm thinking the deciding game between 10-6 and 9-7 is week 17 against you guys. But unless the offense starts playing like it did earlier in the season or the defense rises above its injuries I don't see any better than 10-6 for us.

Steelers, well it depends which team shows up week to week. They don't have any should lose games or should win games on their schedule, except two against Cincy which logic would suggest to them losing 1 to them. Home games against Saints and Kansas City and road games against Titans, Falcons and the two cincy games. They could be 11-5, or 9-7.

Browns - Hypothetical, I say Browns go 2-1 next 3 weeks, two road games in a row, one against Buffalo that could go either way but I'm gonna predict a loss. That would bring you to 8-4. Next 4 games are Colts, Bengals, Panthers and Ravens. Even splitting those would leave you at 10-6 in line with everyone else. I'm gonna say you go into week 17 10-5. You beat us at home you likely win the division. If you lose, 10-6 is still a good spot to compete with the other AFC teams vying for a wildcard spot.

Very good chance everyone in the division finishes around the same record and with winning records.

See "The Schedule Game" thread.

Archived