THE BROWNS BOARD

New Browns fan from Aggieland

Aggie Brown fan

Yes yes another Aggie fan and Johnny Football follower, exactly what you all wanted. I've been lurking for a while now, and I understand how I'll be looked at by most on this board. Before you jump to conclusions, though, hear me out while I try to explain my, and other Aggies, point of view.

Most on here probably don't know or care what an Aggie is, totally understandable. Well, we love football. We love it so much that we used to build a 60-70 foot bonfire every Fall and would light it just before we played our hated rivals, the Texas Longhorns.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Bonfire was built solely by students, willing to work on weekends chopping down trees, carrying them out of the woods and loading them onto trucks to be transported onto campus. Then on campus, round-the-clock work would start transporting the logs to the stack site. Guys in harnesses wired in the logs on the higher stacks, sometimes 60 feet up on the 5th tier of logs.

I had the priveledge of working on bonfire in the 80's, and I could never fully communicate the depth of that experience on me, the feeling of exhilaration after lifting and carrying a felled tree with your buddies that you never thought could be lifted, and the intense heat given off when bonfire was lit, even when standing hundreds of feet away. All this work done to represent "the burning desire to beat the hell outta" the Longhorns.

Sadly, in 1999, the bonfire stack fell while being worked on, and 12 Aggies died.

Fast forward to 2012. The Aggies are moving to the SEC, leaving behind our rivalry game with the Longhorns to battle the giants of the college football world-Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn. Many predicted the Aggies, 7-6 the year before with Ryan Tannehill, would fail resoundingly with a new qb, a new coach and a new powerful conference. Out of this negativity and onto the field then stepped Johnny Manziel.

Many down here in TX knew who Johnny was from his amazing high school exploits, where he had already earned the nickname Johnny Football, because he did everything-- quarterback, receiver, running back, punt and kick returner, kicker. Famously, even with his amazing offensive numbers, Mack Brown recruited him to play safety for the Longhorns. Thank God, because Johnny grew up a Longhorn fan and surely would have played there had he been given the opportunity.

I had never heard of Johnny until he took the field against Florida his first game ever in college and drove the Ags right down the field for a touchdown. The Ags lost that game to a very good Florida team, but Johnny would go on to have the greatest season ever as an Aggie, leading the Aggies to the best end-of-year ranking in my lifetime, fifth, and of course, winning the Heisman.

For Johnny and the team to do what they did when immense failure was predicted and expected even by Aggies made it the greatest football season of my life, so he and the team will always be dear to me. I'm psyched that Mike Evans is doing well in Tampa. Christine Michael had some great runs for Seattle last week. But Johnny is on another level. I've never seen anything like him, and I doubt I will anytime soon. I mean, he lead the sec in rushing as a qb, for God sakes.

Fast forward to the Browns. I admit, I was hoping Hoyer would lose the starting job and I would continue to get to watch Johnny be Johnny, but that hasn't happened. Hoyer has been very good, I've been quite impressed at his play, and there's no way he should be replaced by Johnny this year, and I think Johnny would say the same thing. Yes, he would say the same thing.

Johnny wants to play, yes, its what he loves and what he's best at, but above all, he wants to win, and you should not discount the positive effect that I believe he's having on the team. By no means am I suggesting he is directly responsible for 6-4, but I guarantee he is working his ass off and being the best teammate he can be, which is probably surprising to many Browns players who expected "Johnny prima Donna" or "Johnny me me me". How do I know this? Because every teammate or coach he's ever had says the same thing about him.

Sorry this has been so long, but I'll end with this. I think Johnny is gonna tear it up in rhe NFL, and I hope it's with the Browns. I could be wrong, maybe Johnny won't be as good in the NFL, maybe he's too small, too quick to take off from the pocket, and not fast enough compared to NFL speed. My money is on Johnny Football. Whether he is Johnny Clipboard the rest of this year, or something happens and he gets on the field, he will never disappoint you on the field or in the locker room.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez man, the regular season's half over. Johnny come lately, ba dum, chh.

We've had our share of Johnny ra ra in here, and l for one am happy to sit on the fence with it all.

This bonfire thing though, that's interesting and l'd never heard that before. Good story there, thank you. Does it still go on even after the fatalities?

Johnny wants to play, yes, its what he loves and what he's best at, but above all, he wants to win, and you should not discount the positive effect that I believe he's having on the team. By no means am I suggesting he is directly responsible for 6-4, but I guarantee he is working his ass off and being the best teammate he can be, which is probably surprising to many Browns players who expected "Johnny prima Donna" or "Johnny me me me". How do I know this? Because every teammate or coach he's ever had says the same thing about him.

Hope you're not being prophetic here . . . but we're 6 - 3 at the moment.

Welcome to the Board.

All fine well and good Mr. Agricultural Student (which is what an Aggie is, after all). But all we are interested in is winning games the rest of the year. Unless Hoyer goes down, JFF isn't getting in. And if Hoyer does go down....then yes, we are all Johnny Footballs favorite fans.

Ibleedbrown, yep, been lurking all season, finally here. Bonfire ended as a sanctioned university event after 99. There have been attempts to continue an off-campus unsanctioned bonfire, but I'm not sure how that's been going.

Aggies are the original "Home of the 12th Man" and 12 people died in 99. Several more were hurt pretty bad.

Yes yes another Aggie fan and Johnny Football follower, exactly what you all wanted.

Did make me laugh... so there's that.

I had the priveledge of working on bonfire in the 80's, and I could never fully communicate the depth of that experience on me, the feeling of exhilaration after lifting and carrying a felled tree with your buddies that you never thought could be lifted...

I worked "cut" with my Corps Staff destined daughter in the mid-90's. Raised a few blisters and dropped a few "headaches"...

... you should not discount the positive effect that I believe he's having on the team.

There is absolutely no evidence supporting this comment.

Whether he is Johnny Clipboard the rest of this year, or something happens and he gets on the field, he will never disappoint you on the field or in the locker room.

He already has...

Gig'em...

... and remember.... C-2 hates the band.

Tour2ma, I meant to say his effort, dedication and competitiveness will never disappoint. If you're disappointed that the media and social networking like to point out every time he has a drink in the off-season, then you're just gonna be disappointed. Johnny never asked for all the attention, but he won't let fear of bad press rule his life. This fearlessness translates to the field, by the way, and makes him the great player he is.

Can I prove he has helped get the team to 6-3? I don't have to, it's fact. He's on the team, the team is 6-3. Again, please find me a teammate or coach of Johnny that has anything bad to say about him. All the negativity about him comes from people that have never spent a second with him. He is a great teammate and leader, and that can do nothing but help the Browns, where admittedly, he May never play a down of football.

Tour2ma, I meant to say his effort, dedication and competitiveness will never disappoint. If you're disappointed that the media and social networking like to point out every time he has a drink in the off-season, then you're just gonna be disappointed. Johnny never asked for all the attention, but he won't let fear of bad press rule his life. This fearlessness translates to the field, by the way, and makes him the great player he is.

Can I prove he has helped get the team to 6-3? I don't have to, it's fact. He's on the team, the team is 6-3. Again, please find me a teammate or coach of Johnny that has anything bad to say about him. All the negativity about him comes from people that have never spent a second with him. He is a great teammate and leader, and that can do nothing but help the Browns, where admittedly, he May never play a down of football.

Of course Johnny is the reason we are 6-3. Its just his 'aura' that instills greatness. He doesn't even have to play.

Getting a little creepy. You should have stuck with lurking.

Zombo

Ibleedbrown, yep, been lurking all season, finally here. Bonfire ended as a sanctioned university event after 99. There have been attempts to continue an off-campus unsanctioned bonfire, but I'm not sure how that's been going.

Aggies are the original "Home of the 12th Man" and 12 people died in 99. Several more were hurt pretty bad.

Ha, well if you've been lurking that long you knew how this might go. Pretty well, l think! You hit us at a good time.

60 feet is taller than a helluva lot of buildings, that's impressive. And l appreciate the story and think it's cool you got to participate.

i guess he didn't ask for the attention either when he signed on to do the gayest snickers commercial ever or the gayest golf digest magazine cover ever. i guess it's just all about the money and not about the attention or his 'brand'.

hopefully a texas team will come calling for this kid to sell more cracker jack and we can get something back for him.

i guess he didn't ask for the attention either when he signed on to do the gayest snickers commercial ever or the gayest golf digest magazine cover ever. i guess it's just all about the money and not about the attention or his 'brand'.

hopefully a texas team will come calling for this kid to sell more cracker jack and we can get something back for him.

They dont call him Johnny Trademark for nothing

You're using words and phrases like "fearlessness", "great player that he is", "helped team get to 6-3", "find me a teammate or coach that has anything bad to say about him", "He is a great teammate and leader, and that can do nothing but help the Browns" I agree with those statements 100%. We already had that guy, his name is Brian Hoyer. One statement I will agree on about Johnny, he may never play a down. Again, welcome to the board :)

Ugh, I thought this might get taken out of context. All I'm saying is that if you're expecting Johnny to be a diva, sulk because he's not playing, and be a divusive cancer in the locker room, it's not going to happen. He will be a positive force on the team. His former teammates and coaches love him and only have good things to say about him.

I could be wrong, he could be a bust, but I think if Johnny ever plays in a real game, you'll be happy with the results. He's just getting better learning the pro game. Hoyer looks great, though, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

1. Snickers commercial. Who here would turn down that money? That's not about attention, that's about making money while you can. If he's the bust some of you think he is, he's doing the smart thing.

2. "Johnny might not play a down". He will play many downs, just maybe not for the Browns. If Hoyer continues his path, and the run game and defense stays strong Johnny might have to be traded. Which is weird, because a lot of you guys in here talk so much trash about him, it's like you want him to suck. If he sucks, his trade value drops, which hurts the Browns.

3. Mallett. He beat the Aggies twice at Arkansas. He was a pretty good college qb. He's really big, lik 6' 8", and has a cannon, but he's not known as the smartest guy around. His mobility was not great either, so hopefully pressure will cause him to make some bad decisions. I think he'll have a rough day against the Cleveland defense.

Ugh, I thought this might get taken out of context. All I'm saying is that if you're expecting Johnny to be a diva, sulk because he's not playing, and be a divusive cancer in the locker room, it's not going to happen. He will be a positive force on the team. His former teammates and coaches love him and only have good things to say about him.

I could be wrong, he could be a bust, but I think if Johnny ever plays in a real game, you'll be happy with the results. He's just getting better learning the pro game. Hoyer looks great, though, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

He isn't being a diva, or complaining about his role everybody else is doing it for him.

The problem is, Johnny may never be a starter for the browns so would you become a fan of whatever team hes on or the browns :-P

He isn't being a diva, or complaining about his role everybody else is doing it for him.

The problem is, Johnny may never be a starter for the browns so would you become a fan of whatever team hes on or the browns :-P

Fair question. My money is on whatever team he plays for. Nothing wrong with that, I don't care really.

Good question. I'm a Johnny fan and he's a Brown, so I'm a Browns fan. Just being honest.

I will say that as a teenager I was rooting for the Kosar-led Browns and was pretty depressed both times they lost to Denver. It would be really cool if Johnny could become a great player for Cleveland.

And it'd be cool if Obama became a great president.. Obama can contract ebola then have an orgy with Johnny Manziel, and Paul and Larry Dolan for all I care

the thing that soured a lot of us (not all, not a majority, just some) on manziel is the JF fanboys that just continue this love fest drivel ad nauseam. we know the whole manziel story by now. everything. at this point unless he becomes a hall of famer this whole process of drafting him, the media circus post draft/preseason, the fan and media disappointment that he wasn't chosen to start, the continued JF fan bashing of hoyer. not worth it in my book.

no one hates the kid or wishes him ill-will (at least i don't anyways) but each mention of how great he is, how great he'll be just shoves another nail in the imaginary coffin of his tenure in cleveland in my dream world. i could really do without it, but it is america and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Archived