THE BROWNS BOARD

Brrrr to "man made global alarming"

calfoxwc

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang. I went for a short ride out back last night, on our Kawasaki 700 ATV (has a fancy new camshaft -

now it can take off on ya) in the drifts, almost got stuck back near the woods.

Dang, that was cold. The gusts were terrible, must be about a - something chill factor.

Can't wait to try that again !

Well, it was used. A farmer used to use it to plow his long driveway. Since

we bought it about 5 years ago, it always ran slow, and sounded like it was

fighting itself to keep the speed down. Heck, I thought it was geared low or something....

But, it was a badly worn out camshaft. Cost $1400 bucks to replace.... Their mechanics

had never seen a camshaft worn out so badly. But if I put some cessna wings on it,

and wanted to crank it out, I think it would fly now.

discretion is the better part of valor.

We also have a 400 Honda Rancher - I love it, a lot easier to steer, plenty of power,

for my Wonderful Cute Wife. The 700 is my workhorse. We use both of them all the time,

obviously not so much in winter.

I have him on ignore, but he won't stfu about me.

So, I figure the woodypeckerhead needs some more

response. He learns poorly.

Interesting, I don't give browns149 any crap, and yet.....

he keeps at it, too. weird.

This sort of falls in the same category of the "We get more snow so the globe must not be warming!" idea that is easily disproven by boiling a pot of water under a sheet of glass and then putting the glass in the freezer.

Why Is It So Cold And Snowy In November? Blame Global Warming

• rtr4esea.jpg?itok=hA405ih3
A car is covered in snow in Orchard Park outside of Buffalo, New York, Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2014. Reuters/Judith Gros

The first major Northeastern snowstorm of the season dumped five feet of snow in some areas of upstate New York and record low Nov. 19 temperatures were shattered in many states Tuesday, kicking off what many forecasters say will be a tough winter for much of the country. Shifting weather patterns caused in large part by global warming -- which causes changes in air pressure and other dynamics that drive air to flow differently -- were a key cause of Tuesday’s staggering snowfall in Buffalo and other areas of upstate New York near the Great Lakes, according to Thomas C. Peterson, a principal scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center.

“The cold air came down from Canada so early in the year, so the Great Lakes were still so warm,” Peterson, who also serves as president of the World Meteorological Organization’s Commission for Climatology, said. “If the same cold air came in January, the Great Lakes would’ve been a lot colder than they are now in November, so now in November is when we’re getting all these really heavy lake-effect snows from this storm.”

Evidence shows that as global average temperatures rise, the phenomenon causes changes in weather patterns that are leading to colder winters in localized areas of the world, such as the much-publicized “polar vortex” that brought cold northern air to much of the U.S. last year and is being echoed this week. Monthly global average temperatures have been higher than the 20th century average for each of the past 355 months, and September was the warmest September globally since such records were first kept in 1880, according to NOAA.

“Because it’s warmer it also affects atmospheric patterns in the jet stream, how the jet stream moves across the U.S. … The jet stream is diverging way up into Canada, where it’s very cold, and after the northerly turn it takes a southern dip,” John M. Zobitz, a mathematics professor at Minnesota’s Augsburg College who specializes climate change, said. “As the temperature changes, you’re going to change patterns of precipitation and some places are going to end up being wetter on average than what they have been and some are going to be drier.”

That means just because Americans are feeling the chill this week, that does not mean that people in other places around the world have not experienced temperature spikes that, when combined with any isolated areas of low temperatures, average out to an overall pattern of a warming globe.

“Yes, the globe is warming in temperature, but that means some places are warm a lot more, and some places are sometimes colder,” Zobitz said. “We happen to be on the cold side of that right now, and no matter how you want to slice and dice it, that’s the reality.”

In what has become something of a holiday tradition, the early round of severe wintry weather has been met by a chorus of global warming deniers crowing about how snow and freezing winds demonstrate that climate change is little more than a liberal hoax.

“Global warming strikes America! Brrrr!” U.S. Rep. Vicky Hartzler, a Missouri Republican, joked Tuesday via Twitter, echoing similar sentiments by climate skeptics from all walks of life.

But most climate experts and scientists say that such jibes and declarations should be ignored, as the science in fact shows that the Earth continued to heat up this year. The snowstorms and cold spell that befell the nation Tuesday may seem to provide a counterpoint to that fact, they say, but just because there is snow in November doesn’t mean that climate trends show anything less than a steady rise in average global temperatures.

“If it’s cold in the small area where you may live, that doesn’t disprove global warming, and if it’s hot that doesn’t prove global warming,” Peterson said. “If you want to look at global warming, you want to look globally and at global averages. And as for global averages this year, I’d be very surprised if 2014 is not the warmest on record. It’s currently the warmest to date as of October, and something very strange would have to happen for it to not be the warmest year on record.”

Facts like these go against the narrative pushed by energy companies, conservative think tanks and right-leaning politicians and others who seek to discredit global warming and climate change.

One such organization is the Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation, a conservative Christian think tank that has denied the existence of global warming. The group argued in a 2009 statement called "An Evangelical Declaration on Global Warming" that any temperature increases or changes in precipitation patterns in recent years are the result of “one of many natural cycles of warming and cooling in geologic history,” not systemic global warming caused in large part by humans.

“[T]here is no plausible reason to blame cold winters on global warming, except the desire to blame everything on global warming,” E. Calvin Beisner, the alliance’s founder and national spokesman, said via email. “[W]hat’s being experienced in Buffalo right now is, yes, more than average snowfall, but not beyond what one might expect to occur from time to time as just part of the normal fluctuation of the chaotic non-linear fluid dynamic global, regional, local climate/weather system.”

1. www.nas.org/...of_Scientists_Doubt_Manmade_Global_Warming Cached

Donations from supporters like you enable NAS to do the valuable work required to reform higher education.

2. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists...of_global_warming Cached

... whether man-made or natural. ... Scientists arguing that global warming will have few negative ... List of climate scientists; Merchants of Doubt;

www.mrc.org/...exclude-scientists-critical-global-warming... Cached

Thousands of scientists doubt man-made climate change, but networks ignore or ridicule them.

Don’t look now, but maybe a scientific consensus exists concerning global warming after all. Only 36 percent of geoscientists and engineers believe that humans are creating a global warming crisis, according to a survey reported in the peer-reviewed Organization Studies. By contrast, a strong majority of the 1,077 respondents believe that nature is the primary cause of recent global warming and/or that future global warming will not be a very serious problem.

1. www.nas.org/...of_Scientists_Doubt_Manmade_Global_Warming Cached
    Donations from supporters like you enable NAS to do the valuable work required to reform higher education.
    Some guy guesses it's 40%...
  2. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists...of_global_warming Cached
    ... whether man-made or natural. ... Scientists arguing that global warming will have few negative ... List of climate scientists; Merchants of Doubt;
    The fact you can have a wiki article of those objecting shows how small the list is. Also, 'fewer than 10 of the statements in the references for this list are part of the peer-reviewed scientific literature'
  3. www.mrc.org/...exclude-scientists-critical-global-warming... Cached
    Thousands of scientists doubt man-made climate change, but networks ignore or ridicule them.
    For the same reason we don't let creationists, witch-doctors or homoeopaths debate as actual scientists.

Yep. Less and less of a consensus. BTW, Chris, you didn't read the articles, right?

Consider this, and I rest my case against the political mmgw move to

gain redistribution of wealth.

http://oss.sagepub.com/content/33/11/1477.full

Yep. Less and less of a consensus. BTW, Chris, you didn't read the articles, right?

Consider this, and I rest my case against the political mmgw move to

gain redistribution of wealth.

http://oss.sagepub.com/content/33/11/1477.full

I am reading it. Did you, all the way through?

One problem is that in a discussion of football someone who hates Johnny will find out within a few years if he is going to be a superstar or a bust. With man-made global warming alarmists the predictions take a much longer time before we decide they are correct or not. And by then the goal post has been moved another 15 or 20 years.

WSS

My main beef with this is that it focuses on a very small subsection of scientists. It samples 1077 scientists, which is usually good for a representation, but then you trawl through it a bit and you realise that the participants are exclusively members of APEGA - Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta. A subset like this is going to be skewed by the nature of its components (the people). So consider this statement:

The petroleum industry is the largest single private sector investor in Canada (~CAD 35 billion in 2009) (CAPP, 2009) and it is projected that the petroleum industry will contribute CAD 1.7 trillion to Canada’s GDP and create over 456,000 jobs over the next 25 years (Canadian Energy Research Institute, 2009). There are 540 multinational integrated, midsized, and junior oil and gas companies in Canada (nearly all headquartered in Calgary, Alberta) with operations worldwide. Further, Canada’s oil reserves are considered to be a strategic resource (see Figure 1) with most reserves in Alberta and the oil sands. Given the relative political stability of Canada as a source of oil to the US, the Alberta oil sands are undergoing a CAD 250 billion expansion (AII, 2008).

I'm not surprised that the people involved, who by the very nature of what they do have a vested interest in the continued proliferation of fossil fuels, are of the opinion that we should not place any restrictions on the usage of fossil fuels. Turkeys and Christmas springs to mind.

If you can find a similar article with a much more diverse polling group I'd take it a lot more seriously, but as it stands, I'm going to take the pinch of salt approach.

On top of that, you started this thread with the 'it's cold in America, therefore global warming is a myth' attitude. And yet here you are, 20 posts later, linking to an article where even those people you're trying to use to defend your point, overwhelmingly accept that the planet is warming.

Yep, turkey on Christmas as a tradition was brought over here by the americans probably about 100 years ago if memory serves. Before that is was definitely goose - a tastier, juicier bird, but much more expensive. But this is the saying - like asking turkeys voting for Christmas. Make it thanksgiving if it suits you better :)

Never had goose - wanted to, but we've been really busy.

They say it is greasy, unless you process it the right way. No such

problems with turkey, except Canton Mike deep fries his, instead of

baking it in the oven.

He says frying is the best way.

And, back in the day, we had lib people seriously bitching and bitching and bitching,

about how the heat wave and drought was a sign of global warming.

It was bs. So is saying that the cold means the globe is going to freeze over and we're all

going to die of that.

Libs have no sense of humor, and the title was the flip side of what was said before.

There have been global cooling AND warming trends in history. Other planets have had global

warming with no people on board. Weather changes, dammit, and trends change.

My beef is with the alarmists who rail that we MUST DO SOMETHING, and the something is

always related to taxes, fees, and the redistribution of wealth, or sales, referring to al gore's investments.

And, if mmgw is real, why the hell did the kyoto treaty exclude China, and India, for starters?

And, wtf is up with "carbon trading" ... I mean, seriously? "we are all going to fry if we don't

allow China, India to pollute all they want, and sell carbon tax credits, so developed western

countries can also pollute?

So, the ice age melted away, with no humans, factories, thermostats, cars, trucks, raping of

the world's virgin rain forests, airplanes, asphalt....

was that "mmgw" too? Okay, okay, maybe there were dinosaurs farting, I don't know.

But I'm not listening to the mmgw crap as long as it's main point is getting money off of those

countries and people that have it. And that's a fact, jack.

Yep, turkey on Christmas as a tradition was brought over here by the americans probably about 100 years ago if memory serves. Before that is was definitely goose - a tastier, juicier bird, but much more expensive. But this is the saying - like asking turkeys voting for Christmas. Make it thanksgiving if it suits you better :)

Yeah you guys don't have thanksgiving across the pond do you? I've never thought about it but it's a purely American holiday right? Well you're missing out because thanksgiving is awesome. It's easily my favorite holiday.

Archived