THE BROWNS BOARD

MasterDog

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaw will be just more cannon fodder. Until this team puts an emphasis on the line of scrimmage, we are doomed to losing football. Jesus Christ himself would get creamed back there. No time to pass. No holes to run through. Give me a bad assed O line and I show you how an average QB can look great. Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Lets try something different for once.

Give me a bad assed O line and I show you how an average QB can look great. Lets try something different for once.

You mean more "bad assed" than the #1 O-line we saw play into the 2nd Steeler game?

I just don't see Manziel processing what's happening in front of him quickly enough.

He's dial up in a high speed league.

Well done, sir...

Manziel is no Russell wilson or drew Brees

He can't grow taller or improve his arm strength...so for the sake of comparison in this instance, he is. None of them can grow taller. None of them have elite arm strength. All of them had height/arm concerns. All of them are legitimate NFL quarterbacks in spite of those concerns. Regardless of his mental acuity, from a physical standpoint he is in the exact same boat as they are. They overcame their physical limitations by being smart, efficient quarterbacks. Manziel tries to overcome by running and improvising.

Remains to be seen whether or not he can follow in their footsteps and realize the game is more than "run around and find an open man".

"[NAME REDACTED] is this year's big-time question mark at quarterback. Unlike those who have held this title in the past, [NAME REDACTED] is a stellar passer who shows arm strength and accuracy when he is able to deliver the ball without a hitch.[NAME REDACTED]'s height will be his biggest inhibitor at the next level... It remains to be seen if he can throw effectively from the pocket at the next level."

"Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun... Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws... Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment."

Can you pick which one of those scouting reports was about Manziel and which was about Wilson?

Randall Cobb... T. Y. Hilton....Odell Beckham, Jr. ...

need dynamic wr playmakers. Don't have any. Except Gordon, who

is a knucklehead.

There's more dynamic playmakers than last year's #1 WR in the NFL? Wow. How is that working out for him now, by the way.

Dynamic WR's can't do anything when the ball doesn't get to them. QB's can't do anything if they're getting sacked.

You can put Sammy Watkins across from Gordon with Beckham in the slot and Gronk at TE...doesn't matter. If the QB can't get them the ball, they are absolutely worthless. It's weird...nobody was complaining about our WR corps in Week 6.

When would you like us to draft this dynamic WR? First round?

If Connor Shaw pitches this Sunday, he arguably won't have an adequate amount of time to prepare. As such, it will probably be difficult to determine anything from his effort. However, I was impressed with his play in the pre-season, actually surprised that he was as good as he showed. I'm hoping this wasn't mis-leading, and am looking forward to a surprising finish to the season - one that will keep the tongues wagging over who should be the QB in 2015.

I just bet Conner Shaw doesn't look nearly as overwhelmed as Manziel in his first start. At the very least, I believe he's been paying attention in the meeting room more than Manziel. I recall before the first Cincy game that Hoyer mentioned he'd asked "Conner to do some of the pre scouting" for him since it was a short week. He then quickly added."and Johnny." It caught my ear at the time that it seemed Brian had more trust in Shaw than he did Johnny.

I just bet Conner Shaw doesn't look nearly as overwhelmed as Manziel in his first start. At the very least, I believe he's been paying attention in the meeting room more than Manziel. I recall before the first Cincy game that Hoyer mentioned he'd asked "Conner to do some of the pre scouting" for him since it was a short week. He then quickly added."and Johnny." It caught my ear at the time that it seemed Brian had more trust in Shaw than he did Johnny.

I agree. I would bet real cash that he will be noticeably better than Johnny was.

Not saying he'll be great or win. Just that he will look like he at least has potential....belongs on the field....

Hey it might have been preseason, but in the game that he played, he went 8-9 with a completely collapsing O line and 3rd string receivers.....the 2 things that presumably did JFF in....

Hey, it might have been preseason, but he went 8-9 with a completely collapsing O line and 3rd string receivers.....the 2 things that presumably did JFF in....

Somebody posted his preseason action and l watched it with much interest. Like 3 times. I distinctly saw him look one way, and then the OTHER way for an open man. I was very fired up about that. I also liked that when the pocket collapsed, he ran FORWARD. Good choice.

I would love Shaw to be our Tom Brady, lord knows we could use that.

Not holding my breath obviously.

^This. All hopes and dreams, but for now that's all we have, isn't it?

No matter how you slice it, it's pretty sad looking at the QB situation week 1 that we'll be likely starting 3 QB's again this year.

Hey, it's holiday tradition that we are forced to start the 3rd string QB by season's end!

is a knucklehead.

TimCouch blah blah

I just listed the first three that came to mind, about players we need to get on this team next year.

It's nice to know you know that the wr's have to have a qb that can throw them the ball. Bout time you came around, eh?

Injuries, and qb play, and lack of intuitive wr play, are holding this offense back. One of the ex football guys said the Browns

wrs weren't doing anything to help out their qb. And one of the wr's earlier in the year, obviously not Gordon, admitted it wasn't all

the qb, that they were making mistakes. Need smarter, instinctive wr's. And injuries to the Browns first two centers hurt the Browns alot.

The offense has lost it's confidence. And losing Taylor and Hughes and Haden....

and apparently needing a new special teams coach... or smarter players. Gordon nearly cost the Browns a TD on that pass

to Cameron, by coming close to holding a defensive player that wasn't going to catch him anyways.

is a knucklehead.

TimCouch blah blah

I just listed the first three that came to mind, about players we need to get on this team next year.

It's nice to know you know that the wr's have to have a qb that can throw them the ball. Bout time you came around, eh?

Injuries, and qb play, and lack of intuitive wr play, are holding this offense back. One of the ex football guys said the Browns

wrs weren't doing anything to help out their qb. And one of the wr's earlier in the year, obviously not Gordon, admitted it wasn't all

the qb, that they were making mistakes. Need smarter, instinctive wr's. And injuries to the Browns first two centers hurt the Browns alot.

The offense has lost it's confidence. And losing Taylor and Hughes and Haden....

and apparently needing a new special teams coach... or smarter players. Gordon nearly cost the Browns a TD on that pass

to Cameron, by coming close to holding a defensive player that wasn't going to catch him anyways.

#4-Blake Bortles- QB- UCF

Of course I would have this. Bortles is a prototypical NFL QB in terms of size and intangibles. He's played with a chip on his shoulder since not being heavily recruited out of high school. He is sneaky mobile and makes plays out of nothing. But he has issues with his footwork which affect his mechanics, accuracy and power. His skill set fits in Shanahan's moving pocket, play action offense as Bortles was asked to run a lot of read-option at UCF. He beat big time programs while at UCF, but he was not the focal point of that offense.

#26- Kelvin Benjamin-WR-FSU

With the acquisitions of Burleson and Hawkins, going WR is a bit of a head-scratcher here. Benjamin is a #1 overall draft pick in terms of size and athleticism, however, and him being available at #26 is too good to pass up. If it weren't for concentration issues, Benjamin would be a lock as a Top 5 pick. Pairing Benjamin with Gordon would give the Browns the most athletic WR tandem in the league. Benjamin's size and leaping ability would give Bortles a gigantic red-zone target and his deep play ability will raise the lid of the defense, opening running lanes and the short-intermediate passing game.

#35- Marcus Roberson- CB- UF

Pairing Roberson with Haden would give Cleveland two of the more prolific Gator corners over the last decade. A PCL injury reduced Roberson's snaps while a poor combine performance dropped his draft grade, but Roberson on-tape grades out as a late first round pick in the eyes of most analysts. Roberson is one of the better cover corners in this draft and would excel as a #2 man cover CB.

#71- Christian Jones- ILB- FSU

Jones will go down as one of the best steals of this draft. The name of Jones' game is versatility, which is exactly what Pettine values in defensive players. Seeing snaps at defensive end, inside linebacker and outside linebacker for the Seminoles shows Jones can play anywhere along the LB corps in the NFL. Cleveland has a hole at ILB and Jones would fill it and then some. Jones plays sideline to sideline, has a nose for the ball and knows how to get after the passer.

#83- Antonio Richardson- OT- UT

Tiny Richardson is a day one talent with the ability to play either LT or RT. A knee injury dropped his stock, but Richardson can be a day one starter in the NFL in 2014. Taking Richardson would fill two holes, as it would enable Cleveland to move Mitchell Schwartz inside at G.

However, and I'll say this until the day I die, I think Kelvin Benjamin would have been a great pickup in the late first. He's a player that we could have paired opposite Gordon, a la Marshall/Jeffery in Chicago, and he's also talented enough to be a #1 on his own.

Evans may be the best WR to come out of this draft, but Benjamin would have been a better fit for us and would have come at a better price.

As for WR, I think there are a number of solid prospects we could nab at #26 or in the second, namely Kelvin Benjamin or Allen Robinson. Benjamin's drops are concerning, but he possesses the size to be utilized similar to Alshon Jeffery, a red zone target that beats receivers in the air. Benjamin does everything you'd want, he fights for jump balls, tracks back to the ball, runs decent routes, goes over the middle or outside, and blocks. Unfortunately, he drops easily caught balls and also runs before catching the ball. Benjamin can easily be a #1 receiver and can possibly be had in the second round.

Benjamin is a huge risk/reward receiver. His size is ridiculous as is his athletic talent, but he drops it too often (similar to Little, actually, just three inches taller). But he could turn out to be a very, very good receiver.

Kelvin Benjamin or Allen Robinson would be fantastic picks in the second. Both are large redzone targets, Benjamin at 6'5 has the body to box out defenders and could even be flexed in on 2TE Sets, while Robinson at 6'3 has 40 inches of vert and can literally catch balls thrown over the crossbar.

I think you have me confused for someone else, Cal. was against drafting Watkins. The only receiver I wanted was Benjamin in the late first/early second.

Ah, I mistook your comment about putting Watkins across from Gordon....

Benjamin had some character flags, but he is quite a player.

Ah, well, next year, with so fewer holes to fill... it should be an interesting draft.

If Shaw plays and excels, this board owes me a beer! I've been calling his name since pre-season. You can't fake what he has, and that's an ability to sit in the pocket, find the open receiver (through progression), and deliver a strike. While I agree that no QB can play without protection from the O-line, I think making QB plays gets the line motivated. So it's a two way street.

Shaw has worked his tail off while JF thought he could wreck the league by just showing up. My prediction is that we will see the next starting QB in 2015 because Shaw will make a great impression (win or lose)!

Can't believe they are going to start Shaw. Another QB Cleveland is going to ruin by throwing to the wolves too early. Cleveland truly is the QB graveyard.

Allow me to quote the departed Art Modell. "We(I) have no choice." Assuming Hoyer's shoulder is too boogered up. Heck, he got creamed so bad on that one sack against the Panthers- he was spitting up blood. Manziel has a bum hammie. Grossman turned them down. Tyler Thigpen? Are you serious? Andrew Hawkins? Tryouts in the parking lot? Bring Frye and Kosar out of retirement?

If you have a better idea- we're listening. Hmmmm..... I think the Cardinals are on their third string qb too.

Can't believe they are going to start Shaw. Another QB Cleveland is going to ruin by throwing to the wolves too early. Cleveland truly is the QB graveyard.

Who the fuck do you want them to start?

There have only been three guys in the offense all year and two of them are injured.

Wouldn't you rather start the guy you practiced with all year rather than a dude off the street with no practie reps and no future with the team?

He's an undrafted FA, if gets the start he should be lucky to have the chance to start an NFL game.

If you are on an NFL roster, you better be ready to play, there's no "redshirtting", quite being such a wuss.

Zombo

I want to see Shaw succeed but it will be next to impossible with dumerville and suggs camped out in our backfield all day. Every team out there has been able to penetrate the "ZONE BLOCKING" rendering our run game useless. We will be lucky to get 5 first downs this week. We need some serious upgrades on the OL if shanny is here next year and wants to run the zone blocking. It worked early on until teams figured out they just need to penetrate it and you stop it.

If Shaw looks good against the Ravens that will just be a bonus. I never want to put much faith in a 3rd string quarterback but I will say his former coach Steve Spurrier sure sings his praises. He may just prove himself to be an excellent back up which any NFL team needs to have. Spurrier compares Shaw to Russell Wilson but every quarterback seems to get compared to Russell Wilson these days.

he put up great numbers in the most competitive division in college football. My guess is mostly out of the shot gun and not from a pro style offense? We can only hope we find our franchise QB on the streets of UDFA, God knows we can't draft one.

Archived