THE BROWNS BOARD

I miss Art Modell..

lodilobo

Okay...all you old farts...Gipper...can call me names until you turn blue. I don't care. Our team sucks...that's reality. No matter how you look at it....no matter what changes are made....it's always the same result. The Browns had a history of being one of the most dominant professional sports teams, at one time. We've watched these imposters drag the name Cleveland Browns through the mud since 1999. The team was respected, and we were proud to be fans. Since the installation of this team in Cleveland, I've never been comfortable with the name. I know Gipper...we've been down this road before, but you have to admit...the name Cleveland Browns is synanomous with big time losers...not great football team. I don't have to tell you, that didn't happen over night. As much as you hate Modell, you have to agree....for the most part, he always put a competitive team on the field. When we had a down season, I remember him saying...."losing is fine for the Tampa Bays of the world, but we're the Cleveland Browns, and we can't have that". I really wish that when this team came back, they would have hung a different name on them. The real Cleveland Browns don't deserve to be disgraced like this. Our team has been reduced to a punch line of some stupid joke. I don't really care for the guy, but I wonder how Jim Brown feels about this situation.....having a bunch of losers try to carry on the tradition that was once cherished among the players and fans. You guys who have been around a while may not admit it, but just like me, you are at the point of not giving a crap what they do, anymore. Maybe it's a sign of aging....when the Browns have another bad season, which is, of course, every season...just kind of losing interest. There's no answer or solution, because what's done is done, and we can't change what the team has become. We will get all excited about the draft, soon. I have no idea, why. It doesn't matter if we have every pick in the first round. We will screw it up. Since 1999 we've had a bunch of overpaid Retards (my apologies to Retards ) who think they are geniuses, picking players. Any idiot could do better by flipping a coin...like Romeo Crennel. Go ahead...tell me how stupid I am, and how I'm full of shit, and that Im not a real true blue Browns fan. Tell me to go root for the Ratbirds or some other team. Then tell me how in Hell these morons who are running this organization, are turning things around in my lifetime, with players like Manziel and Gordon.

Yeah...I'm not suggesting that Haslam is not a good owner. I don't know the answer, on how to fix this team. I just get frustrated watching other teams have a bad season, make changes, and boom!...they're in the playoffs.

Yeah...I'm not suggesting that Haslam is not a good owner. I don't know the answer, on how to fix this team. I just get frustrated watching other teams have a bad season, make changes, and boom!...they're in the playoffs.

quit expecting lightning in a bottle???

Okay...all you old farts...Gipper...can call me names until you turn blue. I don't care. Our team sucks...that's reality. No matter how you look at it....no matter what changes are made....it's always the same result. The Browns had a history of being one of the most dominant professional sports teams, at one time. We've watched these imposters drag the name Cleveland Browns through the mud since 1999. The team was respected, and we were proud to be fans. Since the installation of this team in Cleveland, I've never been comfortable with the name. I know Gipper...we've been down this road before, but you have to admit...the name Cleveland Browns is synanomous with big time losers...not great football team. I don't have to tell you, that didn't happen over night. As much as you hate Modell, you have to agree....for the most part, he always put a competitive team on the field. When we had a down season, I remember him saying...."losing is fine for the Tampa Bays of the world, but we're the Cleveland Browns, and we can't have that". I really wish that when this team came back, they would have hung a different name on them. The real Cleveland Browns don't deserve to be disgraced like this. Our team has been reduced to a punch line of some stupid joke. I don't really care for the guy, but I wonder how Jim Brown feels about this situation.....having a bunch of losers try to carry on the tradition that was once cherished among the players and fans. You guys who have been around a while may not admit it, but just like me, you are at the point of not giving a crap what they do, anymore. Maybe it's a sign of aging....when the Browns have another bad season, which is, of course, every season...just kind of losing interest. There's no answer or solution, because what's done is done, and we can't change what the team has become. We will get all excited about the draft, soon. I have no idea, why. It doesn't matter if we have every pick in the first round. We will screw it up. Since 1999 we've had a bunch of overpaid Retards (my apologies to Retards ) who think they are geniuses, picking players. Any idiot could do better by flipping a coin...like Romeo Crennel. Go ahead...tell me how stupid I am, and how I'm full of shit, and that Im not a real true blue Browns fan. Tell me to go root for the Ratbirds or some other team. Then tell me how in Hell these morons who are running this organization, are turning things around in my lifetime, with players like Manziel and Gordon.

I won't call you names. All I will say is: you love Modell so much....opt to go join him in the afterlife.

And the only factual thing I will correct is that Modell inherited a team that won 7 Championships in about 15 under owner Mickey McBride. the Browns won one....way early on under Modell. So whatever greatness the Browns achieved was done prior to Modell's arrival....and not under his stewardship.

Do the Lerner's compare to Modell? They are probably just as bad if not worse. They were not handed a winning organization like Art was.

One of the lamest threads started on this board,

totally lacking in logic, legit information, subjectivity,

and class. How long has Haslam owned the team?

Really, really ...really really dumb.

No name calling, though.

you mean that same Art Modell that forced Jim Brown to retire, the one that fired Paul Brown, the one that traded Paul Warfield, the one that let Bernie go and lets not forget the ASSHOLE that took our team to Baltimore. Fuck him I'll dig his rotten ass up and piss down his neck.

There's a lot of things wrong with the Browns, maybe the owner isn't the absolute best who knows.....but pining for Modell? The guy that single handedly dropped us in this shitter? We were a halfway respectable franchise before he torped Cleveland. Went to Blt and got a sweetheart draft deal that let him draft Ogden and Lewis in the same round. Yeah no....not reminisce about ole Art. lol

I won't call you names. All I will say is: you love Modell so much....opt to go join him in the afterlife.

And the only factual thing I will correct is that Modell inherited a team that won 7 Championships in about 15 under owner Mickey McBride. the Browns won one....way early on under Modell. So whatever greatness the Browns achieved was done prior to Modell's arrival....and not under his stewardship.

Do the Lerner's compare to Modell? They are probably just as bad if not worse. They were not handed a winning organization like Art was.

Since you are the master of trivia....you might want to research the Browns' winning percentage during Modell's ownership vs. post 1995. I never said I loved Modell....simply stated a fact. The Browns team was much better with Modell as the owner. Of course you missed the main point of the post. This team should never have been put on the field as the Cleveland Browns. The name should have been retired in 1995, then the new team should have been renamed, to build it's own legacy.

One of the lamest threads started on this board,

totally lacking in logic, legit information, subjectivity,

and class. How long has Haslam owned the team?

Really, really ...really really dumb.

No name calling, though.

Not worthy of any response.....way too stupid.

you mean that same Art Modell that forced Jim Brown to retire, the one that fired Paul Brown, the one that traded Paul Warfield, the one that let Bernie go and lets not forget the ASSHOLE that took our team to Baltimore. Fuck him I'll dig his rotten ass up and piss down his neck.

You should read up on the history before replying

Those of you who are old enough to remember know that Modell had his problems, but never let the franchise fall to this level. The point of the post was to support my position that this team is not the Cleveland Browns. Sure...Gipper can park his Yugo in his driveway and hang a name plate on it that says, Ferrari....but it's still a Yugo.

People, don't feed the troll. It'll be daylight soon and he'll be going back under his rock.

Troll?....I've probably been active on this board longer than you've been alive....loser.

I think the argument of whether the new team should have been called "the Browns" or "The Caped Crusaders"

is a pointless exercise in semantics.

What screwed (doomed?) the new team was the NFL's approach to bringing the new team to Cleveland.

In the early/mid 90's, with the addition of the expansion Panthers and Jags, both teams had their ownership

groups in place for over a year and a half before their first draft. With Cleveland, however, the NFL allowed

the ownership process to drag out in order to drive the franchise price up due to the bidding war between the

different ownership factions. If I remember correctly, when Lerner was named the new owner there was less

than 1 year to our first draft. Less than a year and we didn't even have a coach. Then the first of endless horrible

decisions was made: Chris Palmer---REALLY? Between the NFL's fuckery, and the Browns inability to get out of

their own way---well, we've been bent over and taking it hard and dry ever since.

Speaking of hard and dry----Fuck Art Modell.

Lodi I am pretty much in agreement with you. Pretty much not totally. I always liked Art Modell and thought he really enjoyed owning the Cleveland Browns.

I think we forget that had he not fired Paul Brown the coach would have gotten rid of Jim Brown.

I think that Art Modell may have over reached a few times too often in the financial realm and found himself behind the eight ball. Most of his moves that piss us off I believe were done because of money troubles. I also think there was a big movement against him in Cleveland especially some of the council people like Fannie Lewis who was against spending public money on the stadium in the first place.

After grudgingly agreeing to a stadium renovation it became clear that in itself wasn't enough to right the ship. Baltimore offered more plus the huge bribe and he took it.

Where I fault him is for not appearing on television looking the citizens in the eye and stating in no uncertain terms that what he needed was the deal Baltimore offered, that he was going broke without it and if the city of Cleveland refused he was going elsewhere.

He never did that and if this were classic Theater that would have been his tragic flaw. The point from which salvation is impossible.

I also liked Al Lerner and would have liked to see what would have happened had he lived.

Randy was never a football fan but did what he thought was best for the team and never complain about spending money or turning the organization over to football people. Football people that these fickle fucking fans thought would be the savior until they turned on them. Sadly the fortunes weren't on Randy's side for that decision.

I have yet to make up my mind on Jimmy Haslam but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And for the haters out there who use this as an excuse I couldn't care less about the truck stop rebates.

WSS

Lodi I am pretty much in agreement with you. Pretty much not totally. I always liked Art Modell and thought he really enjoyed owning the Cleveland Browns.

I think we forget that had he not fired Paul Brown the coach would have gotten rid of Jim Brown.

I think that Art Modell may have over reached a few times too often in the financial realm and found himself behind the eight ball. Most of his moves that piss us off I believe were done because of money troubles. I also think there was a big movement against him in Cleveland especially some of the council people like Fannie Lewis who was against spending public money on the stadium in the first place.

After grudgingly agreeing to a stadium renovation it became clear that in itself wasn't enough to right the ship. Baltimore offered more plus the huge bribe and he took it.

Where I fault him is for not appearing on television looking the citizens in the eye and stating in no uncertain terms that what he needed was the deal Baltimore offered, that he was going broke without it and if the city of Cleveland refused he was going elsewhere.

He never did that and if this were classic Theater that would have been his tragic flaw. The point from which salvation is impossible.

I also liked Al Lerner and would have liked to see what would have happened had he lived.

Randy was never a football fan but did what he thought was best for the team and never complain about spending money or turning the organization over to football people. Football people that these fickle fucking fans thought would be the savior until they turned on them. Sadly the fortunes weren't on Randy's side for that decision.

I have yet to make up my mind on Jimmy Haslam but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And for the haters out there who use this as an excuse I couldn't care less about the truck stop rebates.

WSS

Steve...thanks for weighing in on this. I knew there had to be another idiot with similar thoughts on this subject. It must be from the late '60's and early '70's that caused the brain damage. Obviously we're in a minority. All kidding aside....we're Browns fans for life....it's like a disease. I just hope we get to see this team come back and win a few titles. I'm with you on Haslam. I've pretty much given up on Manziel....I know...we discussed that before. I hope he proves me wrong.

Since you are the master of trivia....you might want to research the Browns' winning percentage during Modell's ownership vs. post 1995. I never said I loved Modell....simply stated a fact. The Browns team was much better with Modell as the owner. Of course you missed the main point of the post. This team should never have been put on the field as the Cleveland Browns. The name should have been retired in 1995, then the new team should have been renamed, to build it's own legacy.

What good would that have done? Just let the Cleveland Browns franchise go into the annals of NFL history? You're complaining with nothing but hindsight. Back in 1999 I bet you were happy as hell that Modell couldn't take the franchise with him to become the Baltimore Browns, and that the Cleveland Browns were returning. So we had to start over and it's been a struggle since. Oh fucking well, deal with it. Throughout NFL history, new teams have struggled to get going. And longer than this. New Orleans and Pittsburgh just to name a couple. It happens. And as Dste Ace stated, if his memory serves, the Browns were destined with a rough start in their first draft. Having your team uprooted like that and starting anew is a fucker, to be sure. It sucks major donkey dick that it's taking this long to get back on track, but there it is.

The Browns haven't won a title in 50 years. And the non-Modell Browns have been responsible for only 15 years of that time....but let's all miss Art and wish he was still here.

As much as you hate Modell, you have to agree....for the most part, he always put a competitive team on the field. When we had a down season, I remember him saying...."losing is fine for the Tampa Bays of the world, but we're the Cleveland Browns, and we can't have that". I really wish that when this team came back, they would have hung a different name on them. The real Cleveland Browns don't deserve to be disgraced like this.

1. Regardless of team name it is the city... the team's fans... that feel any "disgrace" (I would prefer "disappointment"). That would still exist regardless of your "wish".

One question: How did you feel at the time Baltimore was denied use of the team name, "Browns"?

2. You cannot "for the most part... always" do anything. Modell did not come close to always. Once Collier left we began a string of mediocre HC's that managed only a few winning seasons: Skorich, Gregg and our beloved Sad Sam who posted a 5-11 season after "Red Right". It was not until Marty made us relavant that we truly returned to greatness and Modell got rid of Marty because he could not win the "big one". Who was selected to take us home? Bud Fucking Carson! Meanwhile Marty made KC relevant again for a decade.

How'd that work out?

I will say Modell got it right in the end... Belichick replacing Carson (actually Shofner) and ultimately hiring Ozzie as his GM proved that. Then again after the move he dumped Belichick... so there's that.

I do not miss Art one bit. I do miss organizational stability and that starts with ownership. I like our chances of having it now.

Go Browns...

Archived