THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Dysfunctional ....again?

Frenchie

Comments made this week by Shannie really has me in the dumps about the Browns. Losing all those games at the end of the season coupled with what we've heard since about the rookies and the texts and QB issues, and now Front Office are at odds with Coaches. My goodness!

Look I'm not a big fan of Shannie and thought he was just an average OC. I won't cry if he leaves. But I thought this new group of owner/Front Office and Coaches were the face of a new franchise and attitude. It kills me to know that they're not a cohesive team looking to build a winning organization.

Thoughts?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not giving up on Gilbert yet, but I would suggest that he either shows tremendous professionalism and improvement or he's gone next year. I never understood the JM pick. It was way too risky for a franchise that could not afford such risks. Yes every pick is a risk but when you know about his character, he has an average arm, below average height, and a talent that might not translate into the NFL - why would take a shot like that with less-risky alternatives on the board? We're paying a heavy burden for that decision now.

The owner needs to change the tempo quickly. Sign Suh to take away the spotlight on JF. Make sure the two first rounders are solid and can contribute immediately. Sit down with JF, JG and JG and get them to take their heads out of their asses. Make sure Farmer finds a QB, a G, and two WR's and resign JC at TE. We can't go into next year without weapons and upgrades at key positions. Be aggressive, spend money, hold people accountable, and turn this shit around!

Comments made this week by Shannie really has me in the dumps about the Browns. Losing all those games at the end of the season coupled with what we've heard since about the rookies and the texts and QB issues, and now Front Office are at odds with Coaches. My goodness!

Look I'm not a big fan of Shannie and thought he was just an average OC. I won't cry if he leaves. But I thought this new group of owner/Front Office and Coaches were the face of a new franchise and attitude. It kills me to know that they're not a cohesive team looking to build a winning organization.

Thoughts?

Sounds like Shanahan is pouting and wants out. If Daddy gets a HC gig, and Sonny wants to follow- let him.

Drafting Manziel was a big mistake. Pettine thought he could control the circus- he couldn't.

Hoorta I believe the circus means more to the great unwashed than it does to the coaching staff. If Johnny can play at the NFL level is all that should matter. If he can, great. Then who really cares how the spurious stories get played out on talk radio and message boards?

I do find it hard to comprehend that the trio of Ray Farmer Mike Pettine and Kyle Shanahan have no idea of his possible worth.

That's not my rose colored glasses that's reality, or should be. How can there be confusion?

Of course as we hang on to every word of every report coming from a beer joint a few miles down the road from the training facility we are probably getting a pretty skewed idea. And if ray farmer looks the camera in the eye and says definitively at the front office at absolutely no influence on the draft (and if that is a bald faced lie) then it truly is big time wrestling.

WSS

It goes without saying. Get rid of him.

I don't think I've been unclear on this at all.

Doesn't it seemed like those three guys would know that?

If none of them has a clue it's pretty fucking shocking.

WSS

If they have concluded by now that he was a wasted pick, then we will see him traded before the start of the season and another experienced pro brought in as a stopgap measure.

Thoughts?

bah.....I dont see it........mary kays cryptic reporting and "sources" are dysfunctional.....and Shanny is crying because he doesn't agree with the rest of the staff.....

So to me, it sounds like one person was dysfunctional, caught some flak and now wants out......so he is spilling guts in the media to get his way (and quitting is dysfunction personified)

While the rest of the FO and coaching staff are rolling up their sleeves, meeting this week and working on solutions to move forward. (which is what functional management groups do)

The owner needs to change the tempo quickly. Sign Suh to take away the spotlight on JF. Make sure the two first rounders are solid and can contribute immediately. Sit down with JF, JG and JG and get them to take their heads out of their asses. Make sure Farmer finds a QB, a G, and two WR's and resign JC at TE. We can't go into next year without weapons and upgrades at key positions. Be aggressive, spend money, hold people accountable, and turn this shit around!

sign Suh? That's your answer? Give a guy 20m to watch him sit at home when we need him the most cause he's suspended? No...not even for 10m. He's not a 3-4 DL anyway, but even if we were going back to a 4-3 you don't bring a clown like that in to your organization when you're looking to tone things down.

If they have concluded by now that he was a wasted pick, then we will see him traded before the start of the season and another experienced pro brought in as a stopgap measure.

We have to bring in an experienced starter in the next couple of months (before OTA). Again, a number of talented Browns players need to be put on notice that behavior and performance are critical or they are on their way out the door. They have to be spoken to by the Trio (Owner, President, Coach) and the reactions have to be swift and definitive.

So to me, it sounds like one person was dysfunctional...

Certainly "disgruntled"...

The owner needs to change the tempo quickly. Sign Suh to take away the spotlight on JF.

Worst reason ever to sign an FA.

Pettine thought he could control the circus- he couldn't.

I doubt Pet had much input into the draft decision.

The "experienced pro" is a given regardless of whether JM stays or not. There is neither enough time for JM to prove his worth nor faith in the world to do anything other than obtain a vet capable of starting most if not all of 2015.

sign Suh? That's your answer? Give a guy 20m to watch him sit at home when we need him the most cause he's suspended? No...not even for 10m. He's not a 3-4 DL anyway, but even if we were going back to a 4-3 you don't bring a clown like that in to your organization when you're looking to tone things down.

It's one direction to go in. It addresses our biggest D weakness and could generate some great enthusiasm for this team at an important time. I think he can play in a 3-4 D and we have the cap space with the loss of Rubin. Plus he's a bad ass (on the field) on a team that is missing exactly that presence. Resign JC, Austin, pick up Suh, Shorts and get attention on the favorable side of the ledger.

One Mary Kay article which is all conjecture with no named sources and we're "disfunctional" again.

Horseshit.

We had one of the Browns VPs join us at our last Browns Backer game against Baltimore. Real cool guy, real high on the chain. I got to talk with him one on one for a bit and he talked to the group as a whole too.

He said the #1 thing the Browns set out to do this year was to not only change the culture, but to set the culture, because we haven't had one in 15 years.

He said Jimmy is as passionate and smart a owner as you would want. He said Farmer is large and in charge ... speaks with authority, has the respect of everyone in the building. Coach Pettine is exactly what they want, and he is in't going anywhere.

He said on past teams you wouldn't even hear about Gordon, Gilbert and Manziel because the team catered to the players, but it is all about the team now, and you are all in, or you are gone.

He seemed to think Manziel was going to be fine. He basically said he was a "spoiled rich kid, and some things need to change" but that he can be very, very good. It sounded like the organization was committed to him for next year, however if the "things that need to change" involve alcohol, good luck with that.

Overall he stressed over and over that it is a streamlined chain of command and it's not changing, Jimmy is going with these guys.

So if Shanny is really sniffling, he'll be gone. If we re-commit to Shanny then this was just a bullshit story. I really wish we could trade MK to Pittsburgh.

Zombo

I don't necessarily blame the reporting. Like I said Shanahan would love a head coaching job and would also probably like to pump up his coordinator creds by working with his old man on the team with a path to the Super Bowl if possible.

So if either of those situations arises I would bet he would take a close look.

WSS

It's one direction to go in. .... and could generate some great enthusiasm for this team at an important time. ......get attention on the favorable side of the ledger.

Suh would generate great enthusiasm and get attention on the favorable side???.....I'd disagree with that 100%....

He's as controversial and polarizing as Johnny.....1/2 the fans would hate him and 1/2 would love him.....so he'd just be another player creating non-stop debate and a rift in the fan base....

just another pot to stir.....

If the Browns are so "dysfunctional"......wouldn't it be yet another example if we signed another controversy??

I don't necessarily blame the reporting. Like I said Shanahan would love a head coaching job and would also probably like to pump up his coordinator creds by working with his old man on the team with a path to the Super Bowl if possible.

So if either of those situations arises I would bet he would take a close look.

WSS

Fine by me.

Doesn't make us dysfunctional.

Zombo

Nope. I think the conclusions that some have made would, however, count as dysfunctional. If Haslam is calling plays and if Shanahan or Pettine were forced to start players they didn't want.......

But as usual that could be anybody's guess.

WSS

Back to the shitty reporting gossip.

Zombo

Agreed . I think the conclusions that some have made would, however, count as dysfunctional. If Haslam is calling plays and if Shanahan or Pettine were forced to start players they didn't want.......

But as usual that could be anybody's guess.

WSS

Well, then "some" would be wrong, right?

MkC has clearly stated Haslem wasn't the one she referred to as suggesting plays(not calling plays)....so that is 100% fabrication by the masses....

Just another by-product of her typical "cryptic style" , vague implications and secret sources.....

Well, then "some" would be wrong, right?

MkC has clearly stated Haslem wasn't the one she referred to as suggesting plays(not calling plays)....so that is 100% fabrication by the masses....

Just another by-product of her typical "cryptic style" , vague implications and secret sources.....

We deal with wrong stuff everyday. Did her article specify from the press box? Or somewhere else or Haslem would not be sitting?

Or is that just speculation like everything else?

WSS

Browns Theme Song Contest.

My entry.----------"Send in the Clowns"

Tragedy, Bee Gees lol. But I still love 'em to death.

I don't think there is any dysfunction. We have a long way to go for FA & the draft, let's see how it pans out. If they start trading picks again I won't be happy, I'm sick of that strategy.

I agree with Zombo, its all gossip. None of the reporters are sitting in on team meetings, they just want to sell newspapers and their name.

We deal with wrong stuff everyday. Did her article specify from the press box? Or somewhere else or Haslem would not be sitting?

Or is that just speculation like everything else?

WSS

No....people started speculating it was jimmy, so she came out and said it wasn't....

Plus, yes, her article said a staff member in the press box....so, Jimmy isn't a staff member and, Id guess, doesn't hang out in the press box either....

Think about it....if he's calling in plays to the bench, it wouldn't be a good idea to do it in front of a whole room of reporters, would it??

Bottomline? There's dysfunction. Shit we have an Owner that is a goddamn Billionaire, this team is his Fantasy Football game, just like with Jerreh and Danny Snyder. Stable, fully functioning Owners don't hire the laughingstock of the NFL as President/GM then fire them a year later and hire an entirely new Crew. Likewise stable, functioning F.O's don't waste 1st round draft picks on homosexual alcoholics, dysfunctional Haslams and Savages(Homo Juicehead Brady) do that shit.

Agree to a point.

While Haslam looks like he effed it up on JF, I give him some benefit of the doubt on canning Chud, Lombardi, & Banner and starting over (again). He took a PR hit there, for the sake of trying to start over and "get a better culture." I could be wrong, but he admitted he was wrong there and that's hard for a billionaire to do.

It sucks that we fans have to keep waiting, hoping, to get it right. I don't think the Browns are miles away from contending in the AFC North like in year's past. Hell, we were 6-3 and died at the end. I may be grasping at straws here, but the last game of the year showed me something- an undermanned team had the Ratbirds on the ropes.

I will say if they reach/trade picks in this year's draft, I think there is dysfunction. We cannot do that again. With #12 & #19, they have a chance to shore up what they (Farmer & Pettine) believe to be the weak areas.It also appears they will have the 43rd pick. Its not all doom & gloom.

Archived