THE BROWNS BOARD

5 star recruit and #1 overall RB for 2016 commits to Ohio State

WalterWhite

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not really. I think you're just being a homer. If you weren't you wouldn't struggle to understand that.

I'm no fan of Woody's but,, that's just fucked up..

He's being a homer, but of course you are not when calling a kid you've never met "A guy with no loyalty probably also lacks heart and commitment to the team." :blink:

I'm no fan of Woody's but,, that's just fucked up..

He's being a homer, but of course you are not when calling a kid you've never met "A guy with no loyalty probably also lacks heart and commitment to the team." :blink:

What do you call someone who commits to something and then calls it off at the first sign of adversity?

Who cares about recruiting. The big teams will get the best players always. It is about the coaching.

Note: Michifuck probably has players that are no better this year than they had the last several years....yet Harbaugh knows how to coach what he has and the other guys they had there, Hoke and Rodriguez did not.

More than one variable exists. Recruiting matters.

Slightly. Check this out about the #1 high school recruits. About half became college stars. About half not so much. Some became pros.....a couple outstanding. A few may have never even been drafted:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323598/article/how-last-10-no-1-college-football-recruits-panned-out

They've run analyses on the 4 or 5 recruiting classes that a program signed prior to winning a national championship. I forgot what the conclusion was exactly but I'm almost positive that pretty much every national champion of the BCS era averaged at least in the top 10 on the 4 classes combined. It may be higher. I'll try to find it.

If you say "only 50% of 5* recruits get drafted" that might not sound great. But this argument doesn't exist in a vacuum. What is the percentage for 4*s? 3*s? Here's a hint, its worse.

There have been studies on this. Highly rated recruits objectively have a higher chance of succeeding.

Recruiting matters

Well, what I am saying is that it is a given that the "big schools" are going to get quality recruits.

I believe that there is very little difference between the talent on the top 25 recruiting classes.

Sure, recruiting matters because the players recruited to go to Ohio State are going to be better than those that go to Akron or other MAC schools. But between the big boys, it is not that significant.

Other factors matter more is all I am saying.

Michigan may have actually had more quality "recruits" go there over the last 15 years than went to Ohio St. But Ohio St. had Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer coaching......and Michigan didn't. That was a far bigger factor.

I'm pretty sure Tressel did just fine getting high quality recruits (Pryors cars, Clarett, etc).

The top class is going to be much better than #22.

But....what I am saying is that a guy like Tressel, Meyer, maybe Harbaugh.....can take the #22 ranked recruiting class and often beat the #1 ranked recruiting class because they know how to get the best out of them.

Now, these guys probably get reputations as great coaches, so many of the best recruits want to go there, so it is a self fulfilling prophecy.......but not always. Nick Saban is known as a great coach and the best players want to go there.

But sometimes, say take Michigan (or name some other school) they may have still gotten a Top 5 recruiting class....but could do nothing with it because their coach (Hoke/RR) was not up to par.

After a while a school may lose their recruiting edge if the coaches they get don't pan out. Nebraska is a team that comes to mind. For 40 years under Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne they were perhaps the premier program in the nation. Not so much now. They are only going .500 for the past number of years. What happened there? (loss of steroids perhaps?) Or just bad coaching.

Archived