THE BROWNS BOARD

Biggest bust ever

Westside Steve

Ok, lots of quarterbacks have been taken very highly and not had much success in the National Football League.

Maybe someone who enjoys research more than I do could find out who the top 5 or even 10 quarterback failures in history and see how long they'd actually started, stayed with their team or stayed in the NFL altogether?

PS I realize where the flaw in this question lies... ;)

WSS

Ryan Leaf. I thought he would have been a good NFL qb out of college. I think he just got out of prison. Personal problems just destroyed him.

Art Schlicter

Matt Leinhart

Brady Quinn..I believed all the hype, that he was perfect for the NFL playing under Charly Weis's NFL style offense

Jamarcus Russell - immediate bust

Charly Frye

In no particular order, here are my 5....none really were legit starters....the yrs refer to how quickly they were out of the league

Jamarcus Russell - 3yrs....#1 overall pick

Ryan Leaf. - 3 yrs..............#2 overall pick

Art Schlister - 2yrs.............#4 overall pick

Heath Schuler- 5 yrs.........#3 overall pick

Todd Marinovich - 2yrs.....#24 overall pick....but ultra hyped just like JFF.....

gotta add some more.....

Akili Smith - 4yrs.........#3 overall.....didn't play after yr 2

Andre Ware - 3yrs.........#7 overall....Heisman winner......

Kelly Stouffer -4 yrs.......#6 overall....8 starts in 4 yrs

and...

Todd Blackledge...........#7 overall....who had an OK career, but will be remembered for getting picked ahead of Dan Marino, Ken Obrien, Jim Kelly and Tony Eason.....

Ill add, our guy Johnny wont rate as an all time.....there are a MILLION mid to late 1st rounders who have failed.....in fact, it is more the norm, than the exception......

This has been covered a time or 2 before. Here are those among the biggest QB busts in draft history:

1948 Harry Gilmer #1 overall had an 0-10 record as a starting NFL QB

1954 Bobby Garrett #1 overall Never started an NFL, only had 9 appearances

1960 George Izo #2 overall started only 6 NFL games. Barberton HS graduate fyi.

1963 Terry Baker #1 overall started 1 NFL game. Had 154 career passing yards

1966 Rick Norton #2 overall had a 1-10 record in 11 career starts

1981 Rich Campbell #6 overall played in only 7 NFL games, no starts

1982 Art Schlichter #4 overall 0-6 in career starts

1987 Kelly Stouffer #6 overall 5-11 in career starts

1990 Andre Ware #7 overall 6 career starts

1991 Dan McGwire and Todd Marinovich #16 and #24 Between them both they started 13 NFL games.

1994 Heath Shuler #3 overall 8-14 career record

1997 Jim Druckenmiller #26 overall 239 career passing yards

1998 Ryan Leaf #2 overall 4-17 as a starter

1999 Akili Smith #3 overall 3-14 as a starter

1999 Cade McNown #12 overall 3-12 as a starter

2007 Brady Quinn #22 overall 4-16 as a starter

2007 Jamarcus Russell #1 overall 7-18 as a starter

(hell....Russell looks pretty good compared to some of these guys)

or here's another way to look at.....qb's in general......

1999...13 QB's drafted.......3 reg starters....2 real good ones - (culpepper/mcnabb)

2000...11 QB's drafted.......2 reg starters....1 real good one - (Brady)

2001...11 QB's drafted.......2 reg starters....1 real good one - (Brees)

2002...15 QB's drafted.......1 reg starter...... zero good ones

2003...13 QB's drafted.......2 reg starters.....1 real good one - (Palmer)

2004...17 QB's drafted.......4 reg starters.....3 real good ones too - (Manning, Rivers, Rapistberger)...good year!

2005...13 QB's drafted.......3 reg starters.....1 real good one - (Rodgers)

2006...11 QB's drafted.......1 reg starter.......zero good ones

2007...10 QB's drafted.......zero starters.......zero good ones

2008...13 QB's drafted.......2 reg starters......2 real good ones - (Flacco, Ryan)

2009...11 Qb's drafted.......2 reg starters.......1 real good one? - (Stafford)

2010...14 QB's drafted.......1 reg starter.........zero good ones

2011...12 QB's drafted.......3 reg starters......2 real good ones? - (Kaepernick, Newton)

2012...11 QB's drafted.......4 reg starters......2 real good ones - (Wilson, Luck)

14 yr...175 QB's drafted...30 reg starters...16 real good ones (roughly 1 out of ten and 1 per year).....

So, really, it's not about making bad picks, it just getting "the one" a year that shows up when you happen to have the pick.....

and, based upon this, with all things being equal(which they are not) it STILL would take 32 years for each team to hit on a "great" QB!....which we(and most other teams) are on schedule with(1 really good one every 30 years or so....per team).....(cept Denver and Indy, who always seem to have one)....

anyway....theres a wasted hour for anyone who likes this stuff.........

14 years 175qb's drafted and only 16 really good ones.

No wonder the Browns can't find one.

Also all the guys the Browns have drafted have played on bad teams. That hasn't helped

Completely different vein, but Jeff George has to be mentioned.

Great fucking arm... so tantalizing that something like eight teams were enticed by his potential. While he posted good numbers he never came close to delivering on his potential.

Kind of the Jay Cutler of the 90's.

14 years 175qb's drafted and only 16 really good ones.

No wonder the Browns can't find one.

Also all the guys the Browns have drafted have played on bad teams. That hasn't helped

I think that's a big part of what makes the numbers so lopsided. Most everyone that drafts a quarterback that high is probably in pretty bad shape across the board expecting that one player to make everything perfect.

WSS

This is very interesting. I really like your analysis mudfly. Forget picking out the worst QB busts of all time, let's analyze the good to great QBs produced over the history of the super bowl era. Just those fourteen years you examined tell a strong tale: finding THAT GUY who truely has the mental, physical, and intangible gifts to truely be a good tom great QB in the NFL is a complete crap shoot.

Great scouting departments can pretty much get a good read on a guys physical and mental capabilities. In my opinion, its the intangibles that make average QBs into great QBs. Having a killer instinct, relentless work ethic, a clutch bone, a burning desire to win and improve, constantly being hyper critical of self, etc cannot be measured or detected or tested for. You don't know if a guy has the proper intangibles until he is thrown into real live regular season action for at least half a season. It truly is a guessing game.

It comes down to selecting the guy with the whom your scouting department has decided has the best mix of physical and mental gifts and potential and who just maybe has those oh so crucial intangibles.

Then you have a guy like Tom Brady. Smart by all accounts but looked like a fucking twelve year old choir boy come the combine. I'm sorry but no scouting department, following logical deduction and using the prototype of what most great QBs are built like physically, would have ever pinned him to possibly be the best ever.

Narrow it down as best you can and roll the fucking dice. And keep rolling.

Gatsky.....while what you want to do is admirable....not look for the busts but look for the quality QBs that come along, the thread does ask for the busts.

And why identifying the busts is important? It might be illuminative to look at the fate of those teams after they drafted those busts.

Going back in time: Look how the Browns have been since drafting Weeden/Quinn....still trying to dig out of those holes

The Raiders have still not recovered from drafting Russell.

It took the Bears about 5 years to get over the McNown bust.

The Bengals actually did pretty well recovering from Akili....when they got Palmer

Chargers recovered fairly well, taking both Brees and Rivers within about 5-6 years of getting Leaf

Have the Redskins done anything since drafting Shuler?

In a certain sense, the Browns drafting of Bobby Garrett in 1954 was to soon replace OG.....they had to go through Tommy O'Connel and Milt Plum.

I think the Rams recovered OK from taking Terry Baker......when the picked up Roman Gabriel and were a force for the late 60s into the 70s.

The Dolphins recovered from drafting Norton in 1966 pretty quickly. In 1966 they took Norton #2 overall.....then again in 1967 they took Bob Griese with the #4 overall pick......imagine a team doing that today.

The Detroit Lions took Andre Ware....but they recovered pretty well with the likes of Rodney Peete and Dave Kreig (but more with Barry Sanders)

The Colts didn't have a winning record for 5 years after drafting Schlichter

So, I would say that about 2/3rds of the teams that ended up with a big bust took a fairly long time to recover. Grab one of those bust every 3-4 years....you get a record like the Browns have had over the last many years.

Gatsky.....while what you want to do is admirable....not look for the busts but look for the quality QBs that come along, the thread does ask for the busts.

And why identifying the busts is important? It might be illuminative to look at the fate of those teams after they drafted those busts.

Going back in time: Look how the Browns have been since drafting Weeden/Quinn....still trying to dig out of those holes

The Raiders have still not recovered from drafting Russell.

It took the Bears about 5 years to get over the McNown bust.

The Bengals actually did pretty well recovering from Akili....when they got Palmer

Chargers recovered fairly well, taking both Brees and Rivers within about 5-6 years of getting Leaf

Have the Redskins done anything since drafting Shuler?

In a certain sense, the Browns drafting of Bobby Garrett in 1954 was to soon replace OG.....they had to go through Tommy O'Connel and Milt Plum.

I think the Rams recovered OK from taking Terry Baker......when the picked up Roman Gabriel and were a force for the late 60s into the 70s.

The Dolphins recovered from drafting Norton in 1966 pretty quickly. In 1966 they took Norton #2 overall.....then again in 1967 they took Bob Griese with the #4 overall pick......imagine a team doing that today.

The Detroit Lions took Andre Ware....but they recovered pretty well with the likes of Rodney Peete and Dave Kreig (but more with Barry Sanders)

The Colts didn't have a winning record for 5 years after drafting Schlichter

So, I would say that about 2/3rds of the teams that ended up with a big bust took a fairly long time to recover. Grab one of those bust every 3-4 years....you get a record like the Browns have had over the last many years.

I understand that's the point of the thread Gip. My point wasn't to suggest changing the thread but to simply point out that I found Mudflys analysis more illuminating than simply pointing out the big busts.

Your analysis was also well done. Its crazy how simply drafting a QB who does not possess the requisite skills to thrive in the NFL can destroy a team. It makes sense though once you examine the domino effect of setbacks that a unsuccessful QB brings to a team: blows to team moral, lack of leadership on the offense, lack of continuity and chemistry amongst the QB and skill positions, to long term damage like the inevitable GM/Head coach/coordinator change that usually occurs following a collapse at the QB position.

I stand by my statement that it all comes down to intangibles. A prospect can have all the physical and mental attributes in the world but if he lacks the intangibles like being clutch and not choking, having a insatiable drive to be the best etc., he will never be anything more than a sub par success at QB.

I stand by my statement that it all comes down to intangibles. A prospect can have all the physical and mental attributes in the world but if he lacks the intangibles like being clutch and not choking, having a insatiable drive to be the best etc., he will never be anything more than a sub par success at QB.

That is probably why quarterback is the hardest position to draft for and be successful. There are things like the intangibles that don't go into the statistics.

I understand that's the point of the thread Gip. My point wasn't to suggest changing the thread but to simply point out that I found Mudflys analysis more illuminating than simply pointing out the big busts.

Your analysis was also well done. Its crazy how simply drafting a QB who does not possess the requisite skills to thrive in the NFL can destroy a team. It makes sense though once you examine the domino effect of setbacks that a unsuccessful QB brings to a team: blows to team moral, lack of leadership on the offense, lack of continuity and chemistry amongst the QB and skill positions, to long term damage like the inevitable GM/Head coach/coordinator change that usually occurs following a collapse at the QB position.

Absolutely agree. Many QBs probably have say Brady's physical talents.....but few in any have ever had his intangible talents.

And look at the guy he is facing tomorrow......he is ALL about the intangibles

Well, if you consider collateral damage, how about Mike Phipps?

The Browns traded HOFer Paul Warfield in his prime to draft a guy who is little more than a footnote in Browns history

Not only was HE a bust, it - pretty much - busted the team for some time.

Rick Mirer??

it was frustrating during those years but the team basically had to be rebuilt. The older guys from the Collier years were retiring.

We had some great picks with Jerry Sherk and Greg Pruitt, and Sipe on the taxi squad...

When I saw Phipps play, I always thought of Bobby Douglas from those crappy Bears teams - he ran most of the time and couldnt throw worth a damn.

definite overreach as a first rounder for sure.. and steep price giving up Warfield.

my bust pick(s) - Ty Detmer , Steve Walsh they actually played awhile too

I always saw Tebow as the biggest bust because of how big the hype was versus the reality. I made two bets, shorty after the draft, that little Johnny would overtake that by being done in less starts than it took Tebow.

Tebow beat the stooolers in the playoffs

I always saw Tebow as the biggest bust because of how big the hype was versus the reality. I made two bets, shorty after the draft, that little Johnny would overtake that by being done in less starts than it took Tebow.

But Tebow won some games....even a playoff game. Some of these guys.....like Garrett, never even started a single game.

Mike Phipps not a world class BUST? We gave up Paul Warfield for him. Puleeeeze.

Yea, that is terrible for Browns fans.....but Phipps played some years....even had some playoff games under his belt...But again, go back to Garrett. #1 overall pick.....by the Browns No starts. No wins. 9 games played....none for the Browns. 15/30 for his career. 143 yards, no TDs, 1 Int.

Yea, I know it was 1954....before our collective personal memories perhaps. But THAT is a bust.

Archived