So our "pre-combine" board is supposedly:

• M. Mariota (QB)
  • M. Williams (TE)
  • B. Scherff ("OL")
  • E. Goldman (DT)
  • D. Shelton (DT)
  • D. Parker (WR)
  • K. White (WR)
Max Williams at #2 ahead of Shelton? lol...

Idiot article starting with "need"...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So our "pre-combine" board is supposedly:

• M. Mariota (QB)
  • M. Williams (TE)
  • B. Scherff ("OL")
  • E. Goldman (DT)
  • D. Shelton (DT)
  • D. Parker (WR)
  • K. White (WR)
Max Williams at #2 ahead of Shelton? lol...

Idiot article starting with "need"...

In order.

Mariota - Simply, no thank you.

Williams - Great vertical threat from him. I'd take the pick depending on where he falls.

Schreff - We already know how we feel on that one.

Goldman - I don't get this guy or any hype around him. One trick pony who is slightly about average stopping the run. He won't be a very good NT, and offers next to nothing in pass rush.

Shelton - Yes, please. Should be our #1 in ANY scenario. (I'm more and more doubting he falls past Chicago)

Parker - I don't see it. When I think of a 1st round WR, I think of AJ Green. This kid is no Green and I absolutely would not at 12.

White - Potential to be the next Fitz. How high you'd like to place a value you on that?... not sure.

I'm feeling the same on Shelton. So...

Assuming Williams falls to #3: Do you go after him?

If no, then do you try to get Shelton before the Bears can or do you wait and tab Brown?

I'm feeling the same on Shelton. So...

Assuming Williams falls to #3: Do you go after him?

If no, then do you try to get Shelton before the Bears can or do you wait and tab Brown?

I wouldn't touch Williams in the 1st. He's good, but not THAT good.

In regards to Shelton. In a draft this deep with quality talent, I'm not moving up to take anyone. Let other franchises make that mistake. I actually had a scenario in mind if Shelton was gone. I'd trade down BOTH 1st round picks. 12 and 19. If I get two back half 1st rounders and 2 extra 2nd round picks then I've now secure 5 picks in the top 55.

In my crazy mind, I take two players to supplement what Shelton can do. I'll take Carl Davis and Michael Bennett.

(Lets be real, barring a career season for Big Phil, he won't be back after this year)

Tell the AFCN you're not fucking running the ball on us. Period. The toughness and mentality that brings.

Your guards better be ELITE pass protectors. Because the shortest path to a QB is a straight line and we have TWO 3 tech monsters in Bennett and Desmond.

Give the team the unit identity to hang its hat on. Top 5 units in BOTH lines.

Look at all the good teams in the NFL. They all have an identity.

In Dallas its the Oline and skill positions.

In Seattle its the Dline and running game.

In San Fran its both lines and the running game.

In Denver its the QB, receivers and pass rush.

In New England its the QB and the secondary.

In Detroit its the Dline and receivers.

You see the trend.

Sure, my idea is borderline crazy considering all the needs. But...I guarantee our linebackers would be clean, secondary benefits from less time covering and the offense benefits from having a defense that can get them the ball back more.

If by some small miracle Orchard slips to the 11 spot in the 2nd, give me him as well. Then take your best available WR, OG/OT, TE and QB.

edit: Brings a college phrase to mind. Recruit for defense, coach for offense.

The more I read, the more it seems like Mariota being their favorite is not a smokescreen.

Some facts contributing to this:

- Mariota is Kevin O'Connell, version 2.0. They have very similar measurements, very similar playing styles and had very similar results in college (granted, Mariota did it on a much larger scale).

- Mariota was working with Kevin O' Connell.

- Haslam was in love with Chip Kelly. The next best thing is getting an Oregon QB.

- We're stupid.

- Flip is credited with developing Derek Carr, another prototypical sized QB with all of the tools but questions about his offensive system.

- Jimmy Haslam.

- The supposed "pre-combine draft board leak".

- We're stupid.

However, if that's the guy they have #1 at the top of their board...you do what you can to take him. Whatever it takes. If that's the guy you've pegged as your franchise savior, you go get him and sink or swim with him.

if they went up to get mariota i wouldn't hate it. sure he's not built like winston but he's sure as hell a lot smarter than he is.

IMO throwing 3 picks out the window for one pick doesn't make sense unless it's the final piece of the puzzle needed to put you over the top.

the browns aren't there yet.

If there going to go up to get a QB id rather it be Mariotta then Winston.(i myself think its to steep price for either honestly.

Why i tend think Winston is more pro ready year 1 the reason id go Mariotta over him is simple he does not have the off field issues of Winston!!!! People talk bout Manziels off field problems well Winston was accused sexual assault, stealing crab legs i do not think id want that on my team.

I like the idea staying put in draft trying to trade for a glennon or a bradford if he is cut also sorta like the tennesee qb if they draft 1

IMO throwing 3 picks out the window for one pick doesn't make sense unless it's the final piece of the puzzle needed to put you over the top.

When has that ever applied to QB? I understand the argument about the QB not being the first piece, but now he has to be the last?

Nah... if MM is legitimately seen by our FO as "the one", and not merely "the best one within our reach in the draft this year", then go get him...

i'm just saying the skilled position players on offense should be considering AFTER the lines are built, the defense is set. sure take the QB when that's done. it's not like russell wilson went into seattle like couch came into cleveland or bradford into st. louis or.........how many examples do you need?

the worse way to build a team is drafting a QB as the FIRST priority. i know the browns are not starting from scratch but the throwing the 3 draft picks out the window for the 1 argument still holds true IMO.

When has that ever applied to QB? I understand the argument about the QB not being the first piece, but now he has to be the last?

Nah... if MM is legitimately seen by our FO as "the one", and not merely "the best one within our reach in the draft this year", then go get him...

Though it may be irrelevant now - I'd like to know how they viewed Manziel. If he was 'the one' to them, which would make sense considering they traded back up to get him.... Then you'd hope those familiar feelings would creep up and they'd stay the hell away.

Posted Yesterday, 11:52 AM

VesnaKociper, on 18 Feb 2015 - 7:13 PM, said:snapback.png

If the Browns draft an OL in the first round, they truly are the jackoff team of the NFL.

Who WOULD you like to see them take?

Great question ! Will we get an answer??

Grossi's first Mock :

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=42501

#1 - Winston

#2 - Mariota

#12 - WR DeVante Parker, Louisville

#19 - DT Malcom Brown, Texas

With TB saying Glennon is going to be their Starter/Franchise QB . . . I'm wondering if they take DT Williams instead.

WR @12?

I'm not sure I'm feeling it yet . . . maybe @19 . . . need to see Combine numbers to get some performance numbers.

Jake Fisher looked really good in that first group. Expected that...

If either OTs Peat or Collins are still there after the first 11, I would surely be tempted. Especially if DT's Shelton and Brown are already off the board. Just can't pass on that kind of talent.

Peat... definitely. Collins.... no way. Only other O-line that would tempt me at #12 would be Clemmings, and I think I could resist.

Peat... definitely. Collins.... no way. Only other O-line that would tempt me at #12 would be Clemmings, and I think I could resist.

I'm really hoping for Clemmings falling to us @19, but with his measurements (loooong arms, large hands), I'm almost certain that won't be the case.

Hey Tour2ma, question: why yes to Peat and no to Collins? Peat hasn't really impressed me this year.

Marpet runs the best 40, 10/20 yard splits of the Oline thus far.

He's athletic and can move, no doubt about that.

my best friend's son who played in hastings just sent me this link. didn't know he played HS ball and grew up a mile away....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000472459/article/hobarts-ali-marpet-has-best-40-time-for-olinemen-at-combine

I saw Collins at LSU, then a superior senior bowl as the best OL out there and then again today at the combine. And after what I saw today and made up my mind he was the best (along with Fisher for his speed and lateral movement), the pros on NFL Network indicated Collins had just placed himself in the top 10 if not the top OL taken this year. Guy really has some pop to him.

I would hope that the F.O. would be looking into trading one of our young runningbacks, either West or Crowell for Adrian Peterson. Draft the best available OL with our first pick, then another shiny weapon, whatever is left with our second rounder. Hopefully Max Williams will be available in round two... although if he looks like he might go early we might have to think about using that second pick on him...

I would hope that the F.O. would be looking into trading one of our young runningbacks, either West or Crowell for Adrian Peterson. Draft the best available OL with our first pick, then another shiny weapon, whatever is left with our second rounder. Hopefully Max Williams will be available in round two... although if he looks like he might go early we might have to think about using that second pick on him...

That first part about trading our backs for AP made me laugh quite hard. There's no GM in the NFL dumb enough to do that.

Nor going Oline at 12. Even with Peat on the board. Our priority would still be NT/DT, WR, QB and then OL. A distant 4th.

As for Williams - Much like WR's, there is damn good value to be had in the 3rd and 4th.

Archived