THE BROWNS BOARD

Get Real

OldBrownsFan

I think I am a realist. I understand the problems the Browns have right now. I just don't understand why any Browns fan would think about bailing on them.Take the defense of the Browns. Why aren't we just a few players away from being a very good defensive team? We have a great secondary but we need to stop the run. Can't we fix that? We possibly have the best HC since 99. We did better than expected in his first year. Why aren't we giving Pettine a few years to really get his team on the field?

People on this board know football. What can the Browns do to right the ship? If your going to give a flip answer don't bother. I think this team has talent. I don't want to look back and say what if we had taken another QB over Manziel? That ship has already sailed. What can be done now?

I'll post what I would do and I hope others will post theirs : Re-sign Hoyer and add more pieces to the puzzle such as a wide receiver and another O lineman. I saw what Hoyer could do with a running game. He did well. I have no confidence in JM. I have much more confidence in Shaw than JM.

I would get some big guys on the defensive line to plug up the holes to stop the running game.

If we could get a kicker in the later rounds I think this year showed we need one.

We have to sign a veteran QB - Hoyer or someone else. Need to focus FA on quality players to improve depth at key positions like WR and the O/D lines. Then draft well (focus on stopping the run with D-line and LB's) and look to add one or two UDFA's. If we can do that successfully, this team could surprise in 15!

We actually need to leave the front office in place even if we take a step back this coming season. Every time, & I mean every time, a new regime comes in they shit can everybody that isn't considered their guy and replace them with players who are their guys. Then we bitch and piss and moan and whine that the players we shit can are playing somewhere else on a winning team.

WSS

I agree. I don't even want to consider any changes for at least 2 more season. People talk about continuity as a positive. Well, how does one attain that?

We need to keep the main players in place for 3-4 years before we starting making major changes.

I saw the Browns in the last game of the season with nothing to play for but pride, with three knuckleheads being disciplined right before the game, who at the last minute had to put in their third string quarterback go out and play as hard as they could and showed no signs of quitting. This is a team and a HC I support.

I say I believe this team will be competing for the division title next year and some think that is far fetched. Why? We competed this year. A little over half way in the season we were winning the division. What about the tough schedule next year? The rest of the division will be playing the same tougher schedule as well. Right now I am comparing the Browns to the teams in our division. I don't know if we will win the division title or not but I just don't see this team under Pettine ever quitting.

Continuity does breed success as long as the right people are in place. I am sure with Pettine. I believe the team is better off without Shannahan and I do think he is a talented OC. But he was not a good fit, the way he left showed how much he wanted to be here and if the reports were true from his time with the Redskins he did complain...alot. I see with most of our new hires they have worked with Pettine before and there is every reason to believe these guys are going to work well together.

I think I am a realist. I understand the problems the Browns have right now. I just don't understand why any Browns fan would think about bailing on them.Take the defense of the Browns. Why aren't we just a few players away from being a very good defensive team? We have a great secondary but we need to stop the run. Can't we fix that? We possibly have the best HC since 99. We did better than expected in his first year. Why aren't we giving Pettine a few years to really get his team on the field?

People on this board know football. What can the Browns do to right the ship? If your going to give a flip answer don't bother. I think this team has talent. I don't want to look back and say what if we had taken another QB over Manziel? That ship has already sailed. What can be done now?

I'll post what I would do and I hope others will post theirs : Re-sign Hoyer and add more pieces to the puzzle such as a wide receiver and another O lineman. I saw what Hoyer could do with a running game. He did well. I have no confidence in JM. I have much more confidence in Shaw than JM.

I would get some big guys on the defensive line to plug up the holes to stop the running game.

If we could get a kicker in the later rounds I think this year showed we need one.

preaching to the choir my brother browns fan. i would think the vast majority of fans on here feel the same way.

since reinstatement into the league the browns have been dismal at continuity. people can hate modell all they want but in his time at least he tried. the lerner years were a joke and although he tried as well he didn't understand the game and the commitment it took from key personnel he hired to make the changes and stick with them and folded too many times to fan pressure.

what i see as a difference now that haslam is the owner is a savvy biz owner that knows you can't just hire and fire like you are looking at a chinese food menu every night. the meeting right after the season with farmer and pettine leads me to believe that they have a plan, will stick to it and see where it goes for at least 2 more years. if the browns bomb this year because of bad biz decisions made from the top down then who can he blame? himself? yes. take it, learn from it and tweak the plan. if they bomb again next year for the same reasons, then i see him cutting ties.

We're headed in the right direction if they just stick to the strategic long term plan. Build this team from the inside out. Find a way to retain Hoyer. He will realize at some point in negotiations he will not start any other place. Add depth to the O line and get a DT and ILB for the run stop that needs to make this go from a very good D to a Great D. All of this is very doable this spring with so much cap space available.

I saw the Browns in the last game of the season with nothing to play for but pride, with three knuckleheads being disciplined right before the game, who at the last minute had to put in their third string quarterback go out and play as hard as they could and showed no signs of quitting. This is a team and a HC I support.

There is definitely something to be said for that final game performance on the road against probably the 2nd best team in the AFC.

In my universe Steve I would have gone with the recommendation of my $100,000 study and taken Bridgewater. It makes no sense to do a study like this and not follow the recommendation. It defies logic. If the Browns want to throw away another 100 grand they can send it to OBF.

Where would this team be at right now if they had drafted Bridgewater instead of Manziel. I think the answer is obvious.

In my universe Steve I would have gone with the recommendation of my $100,000 study and taken Bridgewater. It makes no sense to do a study like this and not follow the recommendation. It defies logic. If the Browns want to throw away another 100 grand they can send it to OBF.

Where would this team be at right now if they had drafted Bridgewater instead of Manziel. I think the answer is obvious.

Obvious?

What makes you think the rookie Bilgewater would have beaten out the veteran?

Also what was Minnesota's record?

WSS

Anyone who would suggest that manziel was a better pick than bridgewater has to be a racist. Minnesota has a young QB who put up good numbers and developed nicely on his way to rookie of the year honors. Manziel looked like a clueless glue-head until he got injured in his second game.

I'm not saying don't give the kid another chance, but Vikings fans certainly aren't the ones having discussions about trading up for Mariota or Winston.

Bailing on them and simply not caring what shenanigans they get up to anymore isn't the same thing. I'll be damned if I'm going to sit around and watch these idiots play clown shoes on a beautiful Sunday in September when I could be out playing with my sons

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. See you draft night. :D

Anyone who would suggest that manziel was a better pick than bridgewater has to be a racist. Minnesota has a young QB who put up good numbers and developed nicely on his way to rookie of the year honors. Manziel looked like a clueless glue-head until he got injured in his second game.

I'm not saying don't give the kid another chance, but Vikings fans certainly aren't the ones having discussions about trading up for Mariota or Winston.

And Bridgewater's first game he was 12-20 150 yds, no TD's in a 20-9 loss (all points by FG of Minn.).

Bridgewater got most of a season to prove himself. JM got a depleted O line that Hoyer could not move the O with either.

And Bridgewater's first game he was 12-20 150 yds, no TD's in a 20-9 loss (all points by FG of Minn.).

Bridgewater got most of a season to prove himself. JM got a depleted O line that Hoyer could not move the O with either.

12 of 20 would've been a dream first game for JM. The bigger problem with Manziel in his first start wasn't the numbers or even the horrible int's. It was that he looked completely overmatched. I would've liked to see at least one play in that Cincy game that showed a glimpse of NFL talent.

But to answer the OP's question: I believe the Browns are in a good position. We can speculate and what-if forever, but the fact of the matter is that last year this FO used FA and the draft to make this team better.

Complain about the first round if you will, but compare rosters of '13 and '14 Browns and tell me which you'd prefer.

I don't see why Farmer couldn't use this offseason to take another step forward. I wouldn't mind seeing 12 and 19 both being spent on the D line and LB corps. Add Cecil Shorts in FA and another WR in the midrounds as well as some O line depth.

I also expect the continuity of the coaching staff to be very helpful. Overall, the Browns very well could compete for the division.

And there's the old race card. Let me voice my opinion. Bridgewater will never ever be a superstar elite qb so who cares. He had a better first season than manziel had a first game. Good for him. I don't care what he did what he does. We don't have him and never will and frankly I don't see his ceiling ever being all that high. Regardless of skin color we need a big strong qb not some skinny running shrimp like bridgewater or manziel

I usually cringe at the race card, I'm surprised at myself for pulling it. I guess it's reserved for sheer lunacy that can't be explained in any other way. I'm not saying that Bridgewater is the next Aaron Rodgers, all I'm saying is that showed good growth as a rookie and has promise moving into the future, something Manziel hasn't even come close to doing. Furthermore, Bridgewater isn't a running QB, he had fewer rushing attempts than Andrew Luck. He's a guy who looks to pass first but has the ability to escape the pocket if needed.

Archived